GeoForAll Newsletters on new OSGeo website

GeoForAll Newsletters on new OSGeo website

Peter Mooney
Hi everyone,

I volunteered to transfer the GeoForAll newsletters from the existing website to the great new OSGeo Website.

I'll be doing this in stages over the next few days (I'm currently correcting Semester 1 exams!) - I just started today with 2018 and 2017 (english versions)

The new page is here https://www.osgeo.org/initiatives/geo-for-all/geo-newsletters-archive/ - I'll make both the English and Spanish versions available.

Peter

Re: GeoForAll Newsletters on new OSGeo website

jody.garnett
Thanks Peter:

Content questions:
- is there a reason why this page is called "Geo for All Newsletters Archive", rather than just "Newsletters"? The world "archive" kind of sounds out-of-date.
- "Geo for All" --> "GeoForAll" - this is still inconsistent on the new website, does the advisory board have any guidance here?

One wordpress question:

I noticed you have uploaded the PDFs as "media files", I made a "resource" page for one of them here - https://www.osgeo.org/resources/geoforall-newsletter-vol-4-1. It is a "journal" resource, marked with "GeoForAll" initaitve.

It may be possible to make this journal archive page list "journal" resources from "geoforall", making it easier to maintain.

--
Jody Garnett

On 24 January 2018 at 04:06, Peter Mooney <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everyone,

I volunteered to transfer the GeoForAll newsletters from the existing website to the great new OSGeo Website.

I'll be doing this in stages over the next few days (I'm currently correcting Semester 1 exams!) - I just started today with 2018 and 2017 (english versions)

The new page is here https://www.osgeo.org/initiatives/geo-for-all/geo-newsletters-archive/ - I'll make both the English and Spanish versions available.

Peter

Re: GeoForAll Newsletters on new OSGeo website

Peter Mooney
Thanks Jody,

Content questions:
- is there a reason why this page is called "Geo for All Newsletters Archive", rather than just "Newsletters"? The world "archive" kind of sounds out-of-date.

>> I can change this - no problem. I agree with your suggestion.

- "Geo for All" --> "GeoForAll" - this is still inconsistent on the new website, does the advisory board have any guidance here?

>> GeoForAll or Geo for All - I was using the title from this page here on the old website [http://www.geoforall.org/newsletters/]

I noticed you have uploaded the PDFs as "media files", I made a "resource" page for one of them here - https://www.osgeo.org/resources/geoforall-newsletter-vol-4-1. It is a "journal" resource, marked with "GeoForAll" initaitve.

>> This is where my Wordpress skills let me down. I was uploading the PDFs - so people could simply click and download the newsletter as PDF. I am not sure if we (GeoForAll) are going to make a resource page for every newsletter. I'll need guidance here.
>> Where should I upload PDFs in the case where I want to make them 'downloadable'?

Peter

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 8:05 PM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Peter:

Content questions:
- is there a reason why this page is called "Geo for All Newsletters Archive", rather than just "Newsletters"? The world "archive" kind of sounds out-of-date.
- "Geo for All" --> "GeoForAll" - this is still inconsistent on the new website, does the advisory board have any guidance here?

One wordpress question:

I noticed you have uploaded the PDFs as "media files", I made a "resource" page for one of them here - https://www.osgeo.org/resources/geoforall-newsletter-vol-4-1. It is a "journal" resource, marked with "GeoForAll" initaitve.

It may be possible to make this journal archive page list "journal" resources from "geoforall", making it easier to maintain.

--
Jody Garnett

On 24 January 2018 at 04:06, Peter Mooney <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everyone,

I volunteered to transfer the GeoForAll newsletters from the existing website to the great new OSGeo Website.

I'll be doing this in stages over the next few days (I'm currently correcting Semester 1 exams!) - I just started today with 2018 and 2017 (english versions)

The new page is here https://www.osgeo.org/initiatives/geo-for-all/geo-newsletters-archive/ - I'll make both the English and Spanish versions available.

Peter

Re: GeoForAll Newsletters on new OSGeo website

jody.garnett

I noticed you have uploaded the PDFs as "media files", I made a "resource" page for one of them here - https://www.osgeo.org/resources/geoforall-newsletter-vol-4-1. It is a "journal" resource, marked with "GeoForAll" initaitve.

>> This is where my Wordpress skills let me down. I was uploading the PDFs - so people could simply click and download the newsletter as PDF. I am not sure if we (GeoForAll) are going to make a resource page for every newsletter. I'll need guidance here.
>> Where should I upload PDFs in the case where I want to make them 'downloadable'?

There is no duplication, I just made a "resource" page for the *exact same media file* you had already uploaded - so the journals could be found on the website along side foss4g presentations etc...

It would be worth it to do the resource page approach, follow the website design, especially if we can get the newsletter page to update automatically.

Jody