GSoC introduction Roberta Fagandini

12

GSoC introduction Roberta Fagandini

Roberta Fagandini-2
Hi all!
I'm Roberta Fagandini, Ph.D. student at Politecnico of Milano.
My proposal "GRASS GIS module for Sentinel-2 cloud and shadow detection" has been accepted therefore I've been selected for the GSoC 2018.
I'm glad to start contributing to OSGeo and especially to GRASS GIS with the help of my mentors Roberto Marzocchi and Moritz Lennert.

My project consists in the realization of a GRASS GIS module for the detection of clouds and their shadows in Sentinel-2 images without using time series.
Below you can find the link to my proposal:

I would be grateful if you could have a look at the proposal and provide any suggestions.
Every feedback is welcome and it will be useful to improve my project.

I'm waiting for the writing access to the OSGeo wiki, therefore, I will share my wiky page as soon as possible.

Thanks for this great opportunity!

Roberta Fagandini

Re: GSoC introduction Roberta Fagandini

Moritz Lennert
Hi Roberta,

On 24/04/18 13:01, Roberta Fagandini wrote:

> Hi all!
> I'm Roberta Fagandini, Ph.D. student at Politecnico of Milano.
> My proposal "GRASS GIS module for Sentinel-2 cloud and shadow detection"
> has been accepted therefore I've been selected for the GSoC 2018.
> I'm glad to start contributing to OSGeo and especially to GRASS GIS with
> the help of my mentors Roberto Marzocchi and Moritz Lennert.
>
> My project consists in the realization of a GRASS GIS module for the
> detection of clouds and their shadows in Sentinel-2 images without using
> time series.
> Below you can find the link to my proposal:
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mQyouqbHGHugn5DjEDZI3hc1eU_bT_b0qLJPPwkt_hk/edit?usp=sharing
>
> I would be grateful if you could have a look at the proposal and provide
> any suggestions.
> Every feedback is welcome and it will be useful to improve my project.
>
> I'm waiting for the writing access to the OSGeo wiki, therefore, I will
> share my wiky page as soon as possible.
>
> Thanks for this great opportunity!

It is great to have you with us ! I'm looking forward to working with
you on this project.

The first thing I would love to see is your existing python script to
get a better understanding of the exact approach you are planning on
implementing.

Depending on what tool you prefer, you can either set up a github
repository for the project, or you could also use the sandbox in the
GRASS svn [1]. You could then share your code there.

Moritz

[1] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/sandbox?order=name

Re: GSoC introduction Roberta Fagandini

Roberta Fagandini-2
Hi Roberta,

Hi Moritz!

[...]

First of all I want to thank you for being my mentor!

The first thing I would love to see is your existing python script to get a better understanding of the exact approach you are planning on implementing.

Depending on what tool you prefer, you can either set up a github repository for the project, or you could also use the sandbox in the GRASS svn [1]. You could then share your code there.

A the moment I have only some bash script. I'm testing different procedures for shadows detection, which is the task that is creating more troubles at the moment.  Anyway, I already had the intention of setting up a github repository for the project therefore, I hope to share it as soon as possible.

Moritz

Roberta

On 24/04/18 13:55, Roberta Fagandini wrote:

> <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>     Hi Roberta,
>

> Hi Moritz!
>

>     On 24/04/18 13:01, Roberta Fagandini wrote:
>
>         Hi all!
>         I'm Roberta Fagandini, Ph.D. student at Politecnico of Milano.
>         My proposal "GRASS GIS module for Sentinel-2 cloud and shadow
>         detection" has been accepted therefore I've been selected for
>         the GSoC 2018.
>         I'm glad to start contributing to OSGeo and especially to GRASS
>         GIS with the help of my mentors Roberto Marzocchi and Moritz
>         Lennert.
>
>         My project consists in the realization of a GRASS GIS module for
>         the detection of clouds and their shadows in Sentinel-2 images
>         without using time series.
>         Below you can find the link to my proposal:
>
>         https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mQyouqbHGHugn5DjEDZI3hc1eU_bT_b0qLJPPwkt_hk/edit?usp=sharing
>         <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mQyouqbHGHugn5DjEDZI3hc1eU_bT_b0qLJPPwkt_hk/edit?usp=sharing>
>
>         I would be grateful if you could have a look at the proposal and
>         provide any suggestions.
>         Every feedback is welcome and it will be useful to improve my
>         project.
>
>         I'm waiting for the writing access to the OSGeo wiki, therefore,
>         I will share my wiky page as soon as possible.
>
>         Thanks for this great opportunity!
>

>     It is great to have you with us ! I'm looking forward to working
>     with you on this project.
>

> First of all I want to thank you for being my mentor!
>
>     The first thing I would love to see is your existing python script
>     to get a better understanding of the exact approach you are planning
>     on implementing.
>

>     Depending on what tool you prefer, you can either set up a github
>     repository for the project, or you could also use the sandbox in the
>     GRASS svn [1]. You could then share your code there.
>

> A the moment I have only some bash script. I'm testing different
> procedures for shadows detection, which is the task that is creating
> more troubles at the moment.  Anyway, I already had the intention of
> setting up a github repository for the project therefore, I hope to
> share it as soon as possible.

Please also set up a wiki page about your project. See [0] for examples
from last year.

Looking at your bash scripts, I think the first thing to do during this
bonding period is, as you planned yourself, to get familiar with the
writing of GRASS modules in Python. You can have a look at existing
scripts [1, 2] to get feeling for this works and how to structure addon
code in order to make it directly installable with g.extension.

You can find the actual function definitions and documentation of the
GRASS Python scripting library at [3]. The functions in that library
should be more than enough to translate your scripts into a (or several)
modules.

Be aware that GRASS modules create their own GUI. So, unless you need
some interactive features in your modules, you will not have to program
your own GUI.

Something else you should probably do during this bonding time is to
elaborate a schema of your algorithm, so that it is easier to understand
what it does at each step.

Best wishes,
Moritz

[0] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC
[1] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/scripts
[2] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass-addons/grass7
[3] https://grass.osgeo.org/grass75/manuals/libpython/script_intro.html

[...]

Sure, tomorrow I'm going to set up the wiki page!

Looking at your bash scripts, I think the first thing to do during this bonding period is, as you planned yourself, to get familiar with the writing of GRASS modules in Python. You can have a look at existing scripts [1, 2] to get feeling for this works and how to structure addon code in order to make it directly installable with g.extension.

You can find the actual function definitions and documentation of the GRASS Python scripting library at [3]. The functions in that library should be more than enough to translate your scripts into a (or several) modules.

Be aware that GRASS modules create their own GUI. So, unless you need some interactive features in your modules, you will not have to program your own GUI.

Thank you for your precious suggestions! I'll start studying how to write a GRASS module in Python in the next days and at the same time I will keep on testing the procedures so as to show you some results and fix some open points.

Something else you should probably do during this bonding time is to elaborate a schema of your algorithm, so that it is easier to understand what it does at each step.

Yes, this could be very useful also for me in order to better organize and put in order everything!

Best wishes,
Moritz

Thanks again!
Best regards,
Roberta

[0] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC
[1] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/scripts
[2] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass-addons/grass7
[3] https://grass.osgeo.org/grass75/manuals/libpython/script_intro.html

Re: GSoC introduction Roberta Fagandini

Roberta Fagandini-2
Hi Moritz and Roberto,
I'm trying to set up the wiki page but I can't access the site [0] using my OSGeo user id.

Can you help me?

Thanks,
Roberta

[...]

Markus Neteler
Hi Roberta,

please note that the password system is different from the GRASS wiki.

Best
Markus

Roberta Fagandini <[hidden email]> schrieb am Do., 26. Apr. 2018, 12:56:
Hi Moritz and Roberto,
I'm trying to set up the wiki page but I can't access the site [0] using my OSGeo user id.

Can you help me?

Thanks,
Roberta

Re: GSoC introduction Roberta Fagandini

roberto.marzocchi
Your OSGeo_id is "Robifag".

I give you write access to SVN add-ons GRASS repository, but I do not know how to give you access to trac system.

[...]

Hi Roberto,

Roberto Marzocchi <[hidden email]> schrieb am Do., 26. Apr. 2018, 12:59:
Your OSGeo_id is "Robifag".

I give you write access to SVN add-ons GRASS repository,

Please let's follow our procedure for that, see

but I do not know how to give you access to trac system.

Should work out of the box?

Markus

[...]

 Hi markus,

Hi Roberto,

Roberto Marzocchi <[hidden email]> schrieb am Do., 26. Apr. 2018, 12:59:
Your OSGeo_id is "Robifag".

I give you write access to SVN add-ons GRASS repository,

Please let's follow our procedure for that, see

I follow the procedure

but I do not know how to give you access to trac system.

Should work out of the box?

 we verify with Roberta thta she do not has the OSGeo_userid ;-)

On 26/04/18 12:59, Roberto Marzocchi wrote:
> Your OSGeo_id is "Robifag".
>
> I give you write access to SVN add-ons GRASS repository, but I do not
> know how to give you access to trac system.

Please note that for access to the add-ons SVN, Roberta has to
officially state in a mail to the PSC list that she has read and abides
to RFC2 [1] (see [2] for more info).

I would suggest to develop in github for now and move to addons could
then be done once the module is ripe. Or, as said earlier, to use the
SVN sandbox for developing.

Moritz

[1] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/RFC/2_LegalAspectsOfCodeContributions
[2]
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/HowToContribute#WriteaccesstotheGRASS-Addons-SVNrepository

> [...]
>         during this bonding period is, as you planned yourself, to get
>         familiar with the writing of GRASS modules in Python. You can
>         have a look at existing scripts [1, 2] to get feeling for this
>         works and how to structure addon code in order to make it
>         directly installable with g.extension.
>
>         You can find the actual function definitions and documentation
>         of the GRASS Python scripting library at [3]. The functions in
>         that library should be more than enough to translate your
>         scripts into a (or several) modules.
>
>         Be aware that GRASS modules create their own GUI. So, unless you
>         need some interactive features in your modules, you will not
>         have to program your own GUI.
>
>         Something else you should probably do during this bonding time
>         is to elaborate a schema of your algorithm, so that it is easier
>         to understand what it does at each step.

Sorry, I only saw after sending this mail that MarkusN had already said
the same in a previous mail (without me in CC).

On 26/04/18 14:27, Moritz Lennert wrote:

> [...]
>>          during this bonding period is, as you planned yourself, to get
>>          familiar with the writing of GRASS modules in Python. You can
>>          have a look at existing scripts [1, 2] to get feeling for this
>>          works and how to structure addon code in order to make it
>>          directly installable with g.extension.
>>
>>          You can find the actual function definitions and documentation
>>          of the GRASS Python scripting library at [3]. The functions in
>>          that library should be more than enough to translate your
>>          scripts into a (or several) modules.
>>
>>          Be aware that GRASS modules create their own GUI. So, unless you
>>          need some interactive features in your modules, you will not
>>          have to program your own GUI.
>>
>>          Something else you should probably do during this bonding time
>>          is to elaborate a schema of your algorithm, so that it is easier
>>          to understand what it does at each step.

I requested the right OSGeo user id and now I can log in and set up a wiki page for the project.

Regarding the development, I'll use github for now but at the same time I can follow the procedure for access to the GRASS-Addons-SVN repository.

Thank you for your suggestions!

Roberta

[...]

            <mailto:[hidden email]>>>:

                 Hi Roberta,

            Hi Moritz!

[...]

Here [0] you can find the GSoC project wiki page!

Have a nice weekend!

Roberta

[...]

            <mailto:[hidden email]>>>:

                 Hi Roberta,

            Hi Moritz!

[...]

Le Fri, 27 Apr 2018 13:44:48 +0200,
Roberta Fagandini <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hi all!
> Here [0] you can find the GSoC project wiki page!
[...]
>[0] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC

Great, thanks !

Moritz

On 25/04/18 18:03, Roberta Fagandini wrote:

> <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>     Looking at your bash scripts, I think the first thing to do during
>     this bonding period is, as you planned yourself, to get familiar
>     with the writing of GRASS modules in Python. You can have a look at
>     existing scripts [1, 2] to get feeling for this works and how to
>     structure addon code in order to make it directly installable with
>     g.extension.
>
>     You can find the actual function definitions and documentation of
>     the GRASS Python scripting library at [3]. The functions in that
>     library should be more than enough to translate your scripts into a
>     (or several) modules.
>
>     Be aware that GRASS modules create their own GUI. So, unless you
>     need some interactive features in your modules, you will not have to
>     program your own GUI.
>

> Thank you for your precious suggestions! I'll start studying how to
> write a GRASS module in Python in the next days and at the same time I
> will keep on testing the procedures so as to show you some results and
> fix some open points.
>

>     Something else you should probably do during this bonding time is to
>     elaborate a schema of your algorithm, so that it is easier to
>     understand what it does at each step.
>

> Yes, this could be very useful also for me in order to better organize
> and put in order everything!

Have you advanced on any of this ? Do you have any questions ? Please
don't hesitate to ask on the mailing list.

Best wishes,
Moritz

Re: GSoC introduction Roberta Fagandini

Roberta Fagandini-2

Hi Roberta,

Hi Moritz and Roberto!

[...]

Yes, I started working with GRASS Python scripting library. I'm following the link [0] you suggested, I'm also looking at other existing GRASS scripts [1,2] and moreover, Roberto gave me one of his scripts as an example. I have just committed the first version of the python script I'm working on, it works and I'm quite satisfied ;-)
Tomorrow I want to elaborate the schema of the algorithm and at the same time, I have to keep testing the procedure. As I wrote in the bash file, shadows detection seems to be strongly land cover dependent therefore I think it is necessary to test the procedure using several images sensed in different seasons, latitude, etc.

Anyway, I'll commit some results tomorrow so as to show you something more concrete!

Best wishes,
Moritz

Best regards,
Roberta

[0] https://grass.osgeo.org/grass75/manuals/libpython/script_intro.html

Re: GSoC introduction Roberta Fagandini

roberto.marzocchi
Nice! The last step of the script you have written in python works as you expected.

Now it is important to draw a diagram (or schema ) as a summary for you (you have worked a lot in the last few months) and to share it with Moritz and Markus.

After that, test, test and test ;-) for validation/calibration of the automatic procedure.

Hi Roberta,

Hi Moritz and Roberto!

[...]

Veronica Andreo
Hey Robi,

I just found this review [0]. It is for Landsat, but maybe some insights could be also useful for you (?)

Cheers :),
Vero

El jue., 3 may. 2018 a las 22:06, Roberto Marzocchi (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
[...]

Hi Vero!!

I just found this review [0]. It is for Landsat, but maybe some insights could be also useful for you (?)

Thank you so much! I know this paper and it could be very useful especially for the second part of the procedure.
I'll read it carefully!

Cheers :),
Vero

Thanks!