GSoC - OSGeo4W 2013 Weekly reports #1

Lord Flaubert Steve Ataucuri Cruz
Hi All

I am Steve Ataucuri and my GsoC project is "Extend OSGeo4W Installer"

These are the tasks that I've been doing during this week:

Work done in week 17-21 June

* What Do I did this week?

  1. I understood the structure of OSGeo4W Installer
  2. I also setuped a local virtual machine with Windows envirotment
and all the tools needed in order to getting a build of setup.exe
  3. I fixed some errors of setup.exe and I sent my changes to svn server:

   - I included a hack implementation of _fstati64() because at
linking time presents  some problems with Cygwin/Mingw libraries.[1]
   - I fixed the linking to res.o object when make program try to
build setup.exe it presents some problems, I solved removing the
codepage in res_* files to use UTF-8 enconding for multilanguage
support [2]

    - I updated the iniparse.yy file, it has some incompatible changes
with the new version of Automake 1.2 and YACC & LEX support.[3]
    - I removed some obsolete macros in configure.in file, too it was
moved to newer configure.ac [4]
    - I fixed the static library path of libbz2.a and libz.a in
Makefile.am file [5]

* What will I be working the next week?
   -   Next week I need to prepare the new windows dialogs for new
version of installer.
   -   I will update the wiki of the project to build the new setup.

* Did I meet with any stumbling  blocks?

  Definitely yes, some problems with the installation of Installer but
are already solved, many times I needed to read a lot before changing
a line of the code of setup installer.

[1] https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/changeset/1207
[2] https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/changeset/1208
[3] https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/changeset/1209
[4] https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/changeset/1210
[5] https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/changeset/1211

Comments and Suggestions are welcome

Best regards

Steve

--
Steve Ataucuri Cruz
School of Computer Science,

Re: GSoC - OSGeo4W 2013 Weekly reports #1

mhw-at-yg
Hi Steve,

Thank you for doing this work, and especially for the high level
reporting of your experience as you go along. As someone who doesn't
work on or understand the inner operations of setup.exe, it sheds let on
places I don't normally go.

With regards to the optional possibility of adding an uninstall feature,
you may or may not find do_uninstall() of apt useful (though it relies
on post_install() having adding the menu shortcuts etc. to the installed
files database).

http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/browser/trunk/apt/apt.py#L508
http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/browser/trunk/apt/apt.py#L894

cheers,

matt wilkie
Geomatics Analyst
Information Management and Technology
Yukon Department of Environment
867-667-8133 Tel * 867-393-7003 Fax

On 21/06/2013 9:13 AM, Lord Flaubert Steve Ataucuri Cruz wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I am Steve Ataucuri and my GsoC project is "Extend OSGeo4W Installer"
>
> These are the tasks that I've been doing during this week:
>
> Work done in week 17-21 June
>
> * What Do I did this week?
>
>    1. I understood the structure of OSGeo4W Installer
>    2. I also setuped a local virtual machine with Windows envirotment
> and all the tools needed in order to getting a build of setup.exe
>    3. I fixed some errors of setup.exe and I sent my changes to svn server:
>
>     - I included a hack implementation of _fstati64() because at
> linking time presents  some problems with Cygwin/Mingw libraries.[1]
>     - I fixed the linking to res.o object when make program try to
> build setup.exe it presents some problems, I solved removing the
> codepage in res_* files to use UTF-8 enconding for multilanguage
> support [2]
>
>      - I updated the iniparse.yy file, it has some incompatible changes
> with the new version of Automake 1.2 and YACC & LEX support.[3]
>      - I removed some obsolete macros in configure.in file, too it was
> moved to newer configure.ac [4]
>      - I fixed the static library path of libbz2.a and libz.a in
> Makefile.am file [5]
>

> * What will I be working the next week?
>     -   Next week I need to prepare the new windows dialogs for new
> version of installer.
>     -   I will update the wiki of the project to build the new setup.
>
> * Did I meet with any stumbling  blocks?
>
>    Definitely yes, some problems with the installation of Installer but
> are already solved, many times I needed to read a lot before changing
> a line of the code of setup installer.
>

> [1] https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/changeset/1207
> [2] https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/changeset/1208
> [3] https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/changeset/1209