GSIP 175 - Promote status monitoring module from Community to Extension

GSIP 175 - Promote status monitoring module from Community to Extension

Nuno Oliveira-3
Dear all, Project Steering Committee,

I would like to promote the Status Monitoring community to an official extension, I wrote a GSIP here:

Please let me know if I missed something.

Kind regards,
Nuno Oliveira

Nuno Oliveira
==
GeoServer Professional Services from the
experts!
Visit http://goo.gl/it488V for more information.
==

Nuno Miguel Carvalho Oliveira
@nmcoliveira
Software Engineer

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:      +39 0584 1660272

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

Con riferimento alla normativa sul trattamento dei dati
personali (Reg. UE 2016/679 - Regolamento generale sulla
protezione dei dati “GDPR”), si precisa che ogni
circostanza inerente alla presente email (il suo contenuto,
gli eventuali allegati, etc.) è un dato la cui conoscenza
è riservata al/i solo/i destinatario/i indicati dallo
scrivente. Se il messaggio Le è giunto per errore, è
tenuta/o a cancellarlo, ogni altra operazione è illecita.
Le sarei comunque grato se potesse darmene notizia.

This email is intended only for the person or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain information that
is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. We remind that - as provided by European
Regulation 2016/679 “GDPR” - copying, dissemination or
use of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone
other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
have received this email by mistake, please notify
us immediately by telephone or e-mail.

Re: GSIP 175 - Promote status monitoring module from Community to Extension

jody.garnett
That looks useful, tab for "module" status was intended to capture some of this information as well but was never followed up on.

0. status monitoring extension
- I find the "service monitoring" name a bit confusing given the monitoring extension, would it be more appropriate to call it "environment" or "system environment" extension?
- could consider taking this functionality into core rather than as an extension?
- does the REST API just provide a snapshot? Or access prior history (would it be appropriate to integrate this into the existing monitoring extension)
1. usage/stability
Yeah it is hard to show production use, let's take its creation in 2017 and continued development as evidence of stability :)
2. active/maintainer
thanks
3. stable
I have no direct experience, module has not broken the build...
4. coverage
5. no ip violations
- we need to reword this to be a check of dependencies/headers/code donation.
- pom.xml does not list you as maintainer / contact point (aside: will need to set up jira component for this as a new extension)
- license of OSHI changed from EPL (copyleft) to MIT (permissive) recently - what version are we using?
- very limited internationalization, think this needs to be fixed up? We do not have a checklist for coding standards ...
- no surprises going through the rest of it ...
6. page in user manual
- For REST API we have the additional requirement to provide swagger docs for our published api. See example for monitoring requests
7. contributor agreement
- We could ask that a Software Grant and Corporate Contributor License Agreement be sent in since this is a donation of code. There is a section at the end to name the item donate to OSGeo.
--
Jody Garnett

On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 at 11:16, Nuno Oliveira <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Jody,
thank you for the detailed and complete feedback, I will get back to it in the upcoming days.

Thank you!

On Tue, 2019-06-18 at 12:38 -0700, Jody Garnett wrote:
[...]

my apologies for the feedback delay, please find my answers bellow:

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 8:38 PM Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
That looks useful, tab for "module" status was intended to capture some of this information as well but was never followed up on.

0. status monitoring extension
- I find the "service monitoring" name a bit confusing given the monitoring extension, would it be more appropriate to call it "environment" or "system environment" extension?

The name of the module is 'status-monitoring', but I'm all open to new ideas,  but I think the term monitoring  should be part of the name, since it allow us to monitor the system status, well if its become core this should not be a problem anymore.

- could consider taking this functionality into core rather than as an extension?

Works for me, this module doesn't do anything unless the 'Monitoring' tab is accessed, in the future if the functionality is extend to include a small historic \ graphs then we will to give the option to the admin to deactivate the metrics collectors.

Is true that this module is frequently (always?) installed in most GeoServer I have installed recently, I will reword the proposal to make it core, unless someone objects.

- does the REST API just provide a snapshot? Or access prior history (would it be appropriate to integrate this into the existing monitoring extension)+

Currently only snapshot, but history \ graphs is nice future that we may have in the future :)

Regarding the monitoring extension, IMHO that extension should have been named 'Auditing', since it registers only the calls (unless I miss something) that hit the system and doesn't record internal execution details. But yes, adding system information to the  requests auditing information could be interesting.

1. usage/stability
Yeah it is hard to show production use, let's take its creation in 2017 and continued development as evidence of stability :)

:)

2. active/maintainer
thanks
3. stable
I have no direct experience, module has not broken the build...
4. coverage
5. no ip violations
- we need to reword this to be a check of dependencies/headers/code donation.
- pom.xml does not list you as maintainer / contact point (aside: will need to set up jira component for this as a new extension)

I will fix that in my next update.

- license of OSHI changed from EPL (copyleft) to MIT (permissive) recently - what version are we using?

The PR has been updated to upgrade to the very last version, which is released under MTI License.

- very limited internationalization, think this needs to be fixed up? We do not have a checklist for coding standards ...

Implementation of  internationalization support in progress, PR already updated with a first attempt.

- no surprises going through the rest of it ...
6. page in user manual
- For REST API we have the additional requirement to provide swagger docs for our published api. See example for monitoring requests

Good point, it will be fixed.

7. contributor agreement
- We could ask that a Software Grant and Corporate Contributor License Agreement be sent in since this is a donation of code. There is a section at the end to name the item donate to OSGeo.

I will check this with my employer, I don't think it will be against it :P

[...]

Alessio Fabiani-2
Btw my +1 no this. We are successfully using this module since a long time on the GeoNode project too.

Il giorno mer 10 lug 2019 alle ore 01:22 Nuno Oliveira GeoSolutions <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
[...]

Ing. Alessio Fabiani

@alfa7691
Founder/Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A - 55054  Massarosa (LU) - Italy
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:     +39 0584 1660272
mob:   +39 331 6233686

[...]

geowolf
On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 1:23 AM Nuno Oliveira GeoSolutions <[hidden email]> wrote:

- could consider taking this functionality into core rather than as an extension?

Works for me, this module doesn't do anything unless the 'Monitoring' tab is accessed, in the future if the functionality is extend to include a small historic \ graphs then we will to give the option to the admin to deactivate the metrics collectors.

Hum... core directly? I did not see that coming.
But If that's the case, a simple way to solve the naming problem, is not to name it, and spread its classes
in gs-main, gs-restconfig and gs-web-core instead

Just thinking out loud :-D

Of course, there is a downside of going this direction... it makes proposing a backport harder, I think it's the
first time a module goes straight from community to core (actually, the first time anything in extension or community
goes in core, in a very long long time).
That said, the module is really a handful of classes and I know first hand it has been added to a lot of
installations so far so... no objection.

Cheers
Andrea

==

GeoServer Professional Services from the experts! Visit http://goo.gl/it488V for more information. == Ing. Andrea Aime @geowolf Technical Lead GeoSolutions S.A.S. Via di Montramito 3/A 55054 Massarosa (LU) phone: +39 0584 962313 fax: +39 0584 1660272 mob: +39 339 8844549 http://www.geo-solutions.it http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it ------------------------------------------------------- Con riferimento alla normativa sul trattamento dei dati personali (Reg. UE 2016/679 - Regolamento generale sulla protezione dei dati “GDPR”), si precisa che ogni circostanza inerente alla presente email (il suo contenuto, gli eventuali allegati, etc.) è un dato la cui conoscenza è riservata al/i solo/i destinatario/i indicati dallo scrivente. Se il messaggio Le è giunto per errore, è tenuta/o a cancellarlo, ogni altra operazione è illecita. Le sarei comunque grato se potesse darmene notizia. This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. We remind that - as provided by European Regulation 2016/679 “GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email by mistake, please notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail.

Re: GSIP 175 - Promote status monitoring module from Community to Extension

Nuno Oliveira-3
Thank you all for the feedback, answering the open points:

  • regarding the naming:
    • what do you think about renaming it to system-status?

  • regarding the promotion to core, I would suggest the following steps:
    • promote to extension in 2.15.x
    • promote to core in master (2.16.x)

Do we have a enough information to start a vote? if yes I will kindly ask you to vote on this GISP :)

On Wed, 2019-07-10 at 10:00 +0200, Andrea Aime wrote:
[...]

Simone Giannecchini
+1

Regards,
Simone Giannecchini

[...]