GSIP 165 - Add isolated workspaces concept to GeoServer, quick vote :)

GSIP 165 - Add isolated workspaces concept to GeoServer, quick vote :)

Nuno Oliveira-3
Hi all,

You may remember a few discussions going on in the mailing list regarding isolated workspaces:
It seems that all concerns were addressed, to everyone's satisfaction. This change was also
discussed in GeoServer PSC meeting, Nov 14th 2017 and no major concerns were raised.

It stills not clear to me if this requires a formal proposal or not (bug fix \ new functionality ?)
but since this will be implemented in a core module of GeoServer I decided to go ahead
and create a formal proposal for it:
The changes are small, isolated and fully backward compatible. Users will not be affected by this unless they
use this functionally and external code depending on GeoServer (third parts modules, etc ...) will not be
affected by this either.

My apologies for writing the proposal late, I would like this change to land on the upcoming release (2.13-beta)
... and the code freeze is coming (February 18th), so I will gently ask for a quick vote on this one.

Wondering, isolated workspaces have already be deeply discussed in the mailing list so I don't expect any
major concern to be raised now, if the proposal don't get any -1 until the code freeze can the code be merged ?

Cheers,

Nuno Oliveira
Nuno Oliveira
==
==

Nuno Miguel Carvalho Oliveira
@nmcoliveira
Software Engineer

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:      +39 0584 1660272

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act (Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the information in this message that has been received in error. The sender does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.

Re: GSIP 165 - Add isolated workspaces concept to GeoServer, quick vote :)

geowolf
Hi Nuno,
I've reviewed the pull request (some feedback there) and checked the previous discussions, all seems in order, +1

Cheers
Andrea

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 2:40 PM, Nuno Oliveira <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

phone: <a href="tel:+39%200584%20962313" value="+390584962313" target="_blank">+39 0584 962313
fax:      <a href="tel:+39%200584%20166%200272" value="+3905841660272" target="_blank">+39 0584 1660272

[...]

Andrea Aime

==
==

Ing. Andrea Aime
@geowolf
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax: +39 0584 1660272
mob: +39  339 8844549

[...]

Ian Turton
+1 for me

Ian

On 13 February 2018 at 14:58, Andrea Aime <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

mob: <a href="tel:+39%20339%20884%204549" value="+393398844549" target="_blank">+39  339 8844549

[...]

jratike80

+1

-Jukka Rahkonen-

Vastaanottaja: Nuno Oliveira <[hidden email]>
Kopio: Geoserver-devel <[hidden email]>
Aihe: Re: [Geoserver-devel] GSIP 165 - Add isolated workspaces concept to GeoServer, quick vote :)

[...]

phone: <a href="tel:&#43;39%200584%20962313" target="_blank">+39 0584 962313
fax:      <a href="tel:&#43;39%200584%20166%200272" target="_blank">+39 0584 1660272

[...]

mob: <a href="tel:&#43;39%20339%20884%204549" target="_blank">+39  339 8844549

[...]

Alessio Fabiani-2
+1

Regards,

Alessio Fabiani

==
==

Ing. Alessio Fabiani

@alfa7691
Founder/Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:     +39 0584 1660272
mob:   +39 331 6233686

[...]

phone: <a href="tel:+39%200584%20962313" target="_blank">+39 0584 962313
fax:      <a href="tel:+39%200584%20166%200272" target="_blank">+39 0584 1660272

[...]

mob: <a href="tel:+39%20339%20884%204549" target="_blank">+39  339 8844549

[...]

Ben Caradoc-Davies-2
+1.

Thanks for writing the GSIP. You might consider adding some of the
content of the GSIP to the docs because the GSIP is even more detailed
than the docs added in the PR.

Kind regards,
Ben.

On 14/02/18 02:40, Nuno Oliveira wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> You may remember a few discussions going on in the mailing list
> regarding isolated workspaces:
>
>   * https://sourceforge.net/p/geoserver/mailman/message/35658017
>   * https://sourceforge.net/p/geoserver/mailman/message/36097736
>
> It seems that all concerns were addressed, to everyone's satisfaction.
> This change was also
> discussed in GeoServer PSC meeting, Nov 14th 2017 and no major concerns
> were raised.
>
> It stills not clear to me if this requires a formal proposal or not (bug
> fix \ new functionality ?)
> but since this will be implemented in a core module of GeoServer I
> decided to go ahead
> and create a formal proposal for it:
>
>   *
> https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/wiki/GSIP-165---Add-isolated-workspaces-concept-to-GeoServer
>

> The changes are small, isolated and fully backward compatible. Users
> will not be affected by this unless they
> use this functionally and external code depending on GeoServer (third
> parts modules, etc ...) will not be
> affected by this either.
>
> My apologies for writing the proposal late, I would like this change to
> land on the upcoming release (2.13-beta)
> ... and the code freeze is coming (February 18th), so I will gently ask
> for a quick vote on this one.
>
> Wondering, isolated workspaces have already be deeply discussed in the
> mailing list so I don't expect any
> major concern to be raised now, if the proposal don't get any -1 until
> the code freeze can the code be merged ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Nuno Oliveira

Ben Caradoc-Davies <[hidden email]>
Director
Transient Software Limited <https://transient.nz/>
New Zealand

Re: GSIP 165 - Add isolated workspaces concept to GeoServer, quick vote :)

bradh
+1.

There was one part of the GSIP:
It is only possible to create two or more workspaces with the same namespace in GeoServer if only one of them is non isolated, in the example above st2 is the isolated workspace.

Which I found a bit confusing.

Just so I'm clear, is the intent: "It is possible to create two or more workspaces with the same namespace in GeoServer if at most one of them is non isolated"?

That is, you can have two workspaces with the same namespaces if both of the workspaces are isolated?

Brad

Re: GSIP 165 - Add isolated workspaces concept to GeoServer, quick vote :)

Nuno Oliveira-3

Thanks all for the feedback and quick voting, much appreciated :)

The pull requests has been reviewed and its suggestions applied:
https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/pull/2746

Cheers,

Nuno Oliveira