GSIP-157 - Track change state in CatalogPostModifyEvent

GSIP-157 - Track change state in CatalogPostModifyEvent

Torben Barsballe
Continuing from earlier discussion, a GSIP is required in order for this change to actually get into GeoServer, see: https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/wiki/GSIP-157

This proposal is to update the CatalogPostModifyEvent (and associated firePostModifed methods) to track changed values, similar to the current implementation of CatalogModifyEvent.

This requires some API changes in a few catalog methods and interfaces.

Ultimately, it is a useful, but relatively minor change requiring some not-backwards-compatible API changes.

While I would like to get this into 2.11, I understand that it is cutting it a bit close to the code freeze at this point.

Torben

Re: GSIP-157 - Track change state in CatalogPostModifyEvent

jody.garnett
Torben have you gotten any feedback? Is this in for tomorrows release ...

I do not see this as a risky change; adding a new event notification does not have any backwards compatibility concerns.

--
Jody Garnett

On 10 February 2017 at 10:22, Torben Barsballe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Continuing from earlier discussion, a GSIP is required in order for this change to actually get into GeoServer, see: https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/wiki/GSIP-157

This proposal is to update the CatalogPostModifyEvent (and associated firePostModifed methods) to track changed values, similar to the current implementation of CatalogModifyEvent.

This requires some API changes in a few catalog methods and interfaces.

Ultimately, it is a useful, but relatively minor change requiring some not-backwards-compatible API changes.

While I would like to get this into 2.11, I understand that it is cutting it a bit close to the code freeze at this point.

Torben

Re: GSIP-157 - Track change state in CatalogPostModifyEvent

geowolf
Hi Torben,
sorry I lost track of this one, too many things going on.

I too got bitten by this limitation of the API, and while it breaks an interface,
I'm not aware of an easy way to plug a different Catalog implementation, so I guess all
current implementation are actually inside the GeoServer code.

I see it also breaks CatalogFacade implementations, which is instead pluggable... but I guess
rather uncommon to implement in code outside GeoServer? I cannot remember seeing one.

+1

Cheers
Andrea

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 7:22 PM, Torben Barsballe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Continuing from earlier discussion, a GSIP is required in order for this change to actually get into GeoServer, see: https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/wiki/GSIP-157

This proposal is to update the CatalogPostModifyEvent (and associated firePostModifed methods) to track changed values, similar to the current implementation of CatalogModifyEvent.

This requires some API changes in a few catalog methods and interfaces.

Ultimately, it is a useful, but relatively minor change requiring some not-backwards-compatible API changes.

While I would like to get this into 2.11, I understand that it is cutting it a bit close to the code freeze at this point.

Torben

==
==

Ing. Andrea Aime
@geowolf
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax: +39 0584 1660272
mob: +39  339 8844549

AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act (Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the information in this message that has been received in error. The sender does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.

Re: GSIP-157 - Track change state in CatalogPostModifyEvent

Torben Barsballe
Given the lack of feedback, I think I will defer this until after the code freeze, aiming for the 2.12 release.

The CatalogFacade changes are only likely to  affect alternative catalog implementations. Given that this is something that probably should have been included in the initial CatalogEvent implementation, I think this should be fine.

Torben

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 1:23 AM, Andrea Aime <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

phone: <a href="tel:+39%200584%20962313" value="+390584962313" target="_blank">+39 0584 962313
fax: <a href="tel:+39%200584%20166%200272" value="+3905841660272" target="_blank">+39 0584 1660272
mob: <a href="tel:+39%20339%20884%204549" value="+393398844549" target="_blank">+39  339 8844549