GS 2.1-beta2 : Shapefile rendering causes NIO OutOfMemory

GS 2.1-beta2 : Shapefile rendering causes NIO OutOfMemory

Just van den Broecke
Hi,

I upgraded GS from 2.0.2 to 2.1-beta2. I now get OOM exceptions and
locking errors (see below) from Java NIO FileChannel (memory mapped
files I think) when serving Shapefiles several times via WMS. Usually
the first rendering after a fresh start of GS went OK. The same
config/Shapefiles did not cause these exceptions in 2.0.2.

I must say that I also upgraded Java/Tomcat and reinstalled native
JAI/ImageIO so here's my current settings:
Ubuntu 9.10 32b, 12 GB RAM, Sun JDK 1.6_22, native JAI+ImageIO, Tomcat
6.0.29, no Gdal bindings.
Tomcat JAVA_OPTS="-server -Xmx1500M -Xms256M
-XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=36000 -XX:MaxPermSize=512m -XX:+UseParallelGC"
I had lowered -Xmx from 2048M but this didn't make a difference. Ubuntu
has about 6GB of free memory at the time.

Here's the stacktraces (3) and lock error:

09 Dec 11:24:27 ERROR [geotools.rendering] - Could not aquire
feature:java.io.IOException: Map failed
java.util.NoSuchElementException: Could not aquire
feature:java.io.IOException: Map failed
        at
org.geotools.data.store.NoContentIterator.next(NoContentIterator.java:56)
        at
org.geotools.data.store.NoContentIterator.next(NoContentIterator.java:41)
        at
org.geoserver.feature.RetypingFeatureCollection$RetypingIterator.next(RetypingFeatureCollection.java:118)
        at
org.geoserver.feature.RetypingFeatureCollection$RetypingIterator.next(RetypingFeatureCollection.java:103)
        at
org.geotools.feature.collection.DelegateFeatureIterator.next(DelegateFeatureIterator.java:56)
        at
org.geotools.data.crs.ForceCoordinateSystemIterator.next(ForceCoordinateSystemIterator.java:124)
        at
org.geotools.data.crs.ForceCoordinateSystemIterator.next(ForceCoordinateSystemIterator.java:65)
        at
org.geotools.renderer.lite.StreamingRenderer.drawPlain(StreamingRenderer.java:1993)
        at
org.geotools.renderer.lite.StreamingRenderer.processStylers(StreamingRenderer.java:1914)
        at
org.geotools.renderer.lite.StreamingRenderer.paint(StreamingRenderer.java:759)
        at
org.geoserver.wms.map.RenderedImageMapOutputFormat.produceMap(RenderedImageMapOutputFormat.java:427)
        at
org.geoserver.wms.map.RenderedImageMapOutputFormat.produceMap(RenderedImageMapOutputFormat.java:198)
        at
org.geoserver.wms.map.RenderedImageMapOutputFormat.produceMap(RenderedImageMapOutputFormat.java:114)
        at org.geoserver.wms.GetMap.run(GetMap.java:461)
        at org.geoserver.wms.GetMap.run(GetMap.java:110)
        at
org.geoserver.wms.DefaultWebMapService.getMap(DefaultWebMapService.java:217)

.
.
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Map failed
        at sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl.map(FileChannelImpl.java:758)
        at org.geotools.data.shapefile.ShpFiles.map(ShpFiles.java:977)
        at
org.geotools.data.shapefile.FileChannelDecorator.map(FileChannelDecorator.java:78)
        at
org.geotools.data.shapefile.dbf.DbaseFileReader.init(DbaseFileReader.java:163)
        at
org.geotools.data.shapefile.dbf.DbaseFileReader.<init>(DbaseFileReader.java:141)
        at
org.geotools.data.shapefile.dbf.IndexedDbaseFileReader.<init>(IndexedDbaseFileReader.java:141)
        at
org.geotools.data.shapefile.indexed.IndexedShapefileDataStore.openDbfReader(IndexedShapefileDataStore.java:861)
        at
org.geotools.data.shapefile.indexed.IndexedShapefileDataStore.getAttributesReader(IndexedShapefileDataStore.java:563)
        at
org.geotools.data.shapefile.indexed.IndexedShapefileDataStore.getFeatureReader(IndexedShapefileDataStore.java:396)
        at
org.geotools.data.AbstractDataStore.getFeatureReader(AbstractDataStore.java:382)
        at
org.geotools.data.DefaultFeatureResults.reader(DefaultFeatureResults.java:212)
        at
org.geotools.data.store.DataFeatureCollection.openIterator(DataFeatureCollection.java:228)
        at
org.geotools.data.store.DataFeatureCollection.iterator(DataFeatureCollection.java:196)
        at
org.geoserver.feature.RetypingFeatureCollection.iterator(RetypingFeatureCollection.java:44)
        at
org.geoserver.feature.RetypingFeatureCollection.features(RetypingFeatureCollection.java:53)
        at
org.geoserver.feature.RetypingFeatureCollection.features(RetypingFeatureCollection.java:30)
        at
org.geotools.data.crs.ForceCoordinateSystemFeatureResults.openIterator(ForceCoordinateSystemFeatureResults.java:93)
        at
org.geotools.feature.collection.AbstractFeatureCollection.iterator(AbstractFeatureCollection.java:341)
        at
org.geotools.renderer.lite.StreamingRenderer.drawPlain(StreamingRenderer.java:1978)
        ... 133 more
Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Map failed
        at sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl.map0(Native Method)
        at sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl.map(FileChannelImpl.java:755)
        ... 151 more

Lock error
09 Dec 11:27:29 ERROR [data.shapefile] - The following locker still has
a lock: read on
file:/var/kademo/data/inspire/phase2/top10nl/shape/oost-nl/transformed/ETRS89_WEGDEEL_VLAK.dbf
by org.geotools.data.shapefile.dbf.IndexedDbaseFileReader

best,

Just van den Broecke
www.justobjects.nl

Re: GS 2.1-beta2 : Shapefile rendering causes NIO OutOfMemory

geowolf
On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 11:59 AM, Just van den Broecke
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I upgraded GS from 2.0.2 to 2.1-beta2. I now get OOM exceptions and
> locking errors (see below) from Java NIO FileChannel (memory mapped
> files I think) when serving Shapefiles several times via WMS. Usually
> the first rendering after a fresh start of GS went OK. The same
> config/Shapefiles did not cause these exceptions in 2.0.2.

Are you running on Windows? I'd suggest to disable memory mapping there,
the OS is simply not good enough to handle memory maps effectively.

On Linux enable it as well as memory maps caches

Cheers
Andrea

Ing. Andrea Aime
Senior Software Engineer

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy

phone: +39 0584962313
fax:     +39 0584962313

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://geo-solutions.blogspot.com/
http://www.linkedin.com/in/andreaaime
http://twitter.com/geowolf

Re: GS 2.1-beta2 : Shapefile rendering causes NIO OutOfMemory

Just van den Broecke
Hi Andrea,

On 09-12-10 14:05, Andrea Aime wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 11:59 AM, Just van den Broecke
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I upgraded GS from 2.0.2 to 2.1-beta2. I now get OOM exceptions and
>> locking errors (see below) from Java NIO FileChannel (memory mapped
>> files I think) when serving Shapefiles several times via WMS. Usually
>> the first rendering after a fresh start of GS went OK. The same
>> config/Shapefiles did not cause these exceptions in 2.0.2.
>
> Are you running on Windows? I'd suggest to disable memory mapping there,
> the OS is simply not good enough to handle memory maps effectively.
No on Ubuntu Linux, settings:
Ubuntu 9.10 32b, 12 GB RAM, Sun JDK 1.6_22, native JAI+ImageIO, Tomcat
6.0.29, no Gdal bindings. Tomcat JAVA_OPTS="-server -Xmx1500M -Xms256M
-XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=36000 -XX:MaxPermSize=512m -XX:+UseParallelGC"

I use a directory of (10) Shape files as a datastore. The problem
happens only with one Shape file (the largest: 370MB dbf).

> On Linux enable it as well as memory maps caches
All these Store options were disabled when the original problem occurred:

Create spatial index if missing/outdated
Use memory mapped buffers
Cache and reuse memory maps

If I enable all of these I get exceptions for all Shape files.
If I enable only "Cache and reuse memory maps" I get a new exception:

09 Dec 14:54:21 ERROR [geoserver.ows] -
org.geoserver.platform.ServiceException: The requested Style can not be
used with this layer.  The style specifies an attribute of TYPEWEG and
the layer is: inspire:tn_wegdeel_vlak
        at
org.geoserver.wms.map.GetMapKvpRequestReader.checkStyle(GetMapKvpRequestReader.java:1024)
        at
org.geoserver.wms.map.GetMapKvpRequestReader.read(GetMapKvpRequestReader.java:375)
        at
org.geoserver.wms.map.GetMapKvpRequestReader.read(GetMapKvpRequestReader.java:71)
        at org.geoserver.ows.Dispatcher.parseRequestKVP(Dispatcher.java:1168)
        at org.geoserver.ows.Dispatcher.dispatch(Dispatcher.java:506)
        at org.geoserver.ows.Dispatcher.handleRequestInternal(Dispatcher.java:226)
        at
org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.AbstractController.handleRequest(AbstractController.java:153)

This style (my SLD) has always worked and was not changed and when I use
ogrinfo -al to dump the Shape file I see that this attribute TYPEWEG is
present and has values. Strange..

best,

Just

> Cheers
> Andrea

> Ing. Andrea Aime
> Senior Software Engineer
>
> GeoSolutions S.A.S.
> Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
> 55054  Massarosa (LU)
> Italy
>
> phone: +39 0584962313
> fax:     +39 0584962313
>
> http://www.geo-solutions.it
> http://geo-solutions.blogspot.com/
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/andreaaime
> http://twitter.com/geowolf

Re: GS 2.1-beta2 : Shapefile rendering causes NIO OutOfMemory

geowolf
On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 3:13 PM, Just van den Broecke
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Andrea,
>
> On 09-12-10 14:05, Andrea Aime wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 11:59 AM, Just van den Broecke
>> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I upgraded GS from 2.0.2 to 2.1-beta2. I now get OOM exceptions and
>>> locking errors (see below) from Java NIO FileChannel (memory mapped
>>> files I think) when serving Shapefiles several times via WMS. Usually
>>> the first rendering after a fresh start of GS went OK. The same
>>> config/Shapefiles did not cause these exceptions in 2.0.2.
>>
>> Are you running on Windows? I'd suggest to disable memory mapping there,
>> the OS is simply not good enough to handle memory maps effectively.
> No on Ubuntu Linux, settings:
> Ubuntu 9.10 32b, 12 GB RAM, Sun JDK 1.6_22, native JAI+ImageIO, Tomcat
> 6.0.29, no Gdal bindings. Tomcat JAVA_OPTS="-server -Xmx1500M -Xms256M
> -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=36000 -XX:MaxPermSize=512m -XX:+UseParallelGC"
>
> I use a directory of (10) Shape files as a datastore. The problem
> happens only with one Shape file (the largest: 370MB dbf).

Hmmm... odd, during the FOSS4G shootout we had 1.7GB .shp and
dbf files over 2GB and found no issues.

Is it possible to have the shapefile in question along with the style
and the request that makes it break?

On 09-12-10 16:32, Andrea Aime wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 3:13 PM, Just van den Broecke
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Hi Andrea,
>>
>> On 09-12-10 14:05, Andrea Aime wrote:

>>> Are you running on Windows? I'd suggest to disable memory mapping there,
>>> the OS is simply not good enough to handle memory maps effectively.
>> No on Ubuntu Linux, settings:
>> Ubuntu 9.10 32b, 12 GB RAM, Sun JDK 1.6_22, native JAI+ImageIO, Tomcat
>> 6.0.29, no Gdal bindings. Tomcat JAVA_OPTS="-server -Xmx1500M -Xms256M
>> -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=36000 -XX:MaxPermSize=512m -XX:+UseParallelGC"
>>
>> I use a directory of (10) Shape files as a datastore. The problem
>> happens only with one Shape file (the largest: 370MB dbf).
>
> Hmmm... odd, during the FOSS4G shootout we had 1.7GB .shp and
> dbf files over 2GB and found no issues.
That was 2.1-beta1 probably ? Like said in 2.0.2 I also had no issues.

> Is it possible to have the shapefile in question along with the style
> and the request that makes it break?
Ok, already sent privately.

best,

Just

> Cheers
> Andrea

> Ing. Andrea Aime
> Senior Software Engineer
>
> GeoSolutions S.A.S.
> Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
> 55054  Massarosa (LU)
> Italy
>
> phone: +39 0584962313
> fax:     +39 0584962313
>
> http://www.geo-solutions.it
> http://geo-solutions.blogspot.com/
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/andreaaime
> http://twitter.com/geowolf

kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,

--Just

Just van den Broecke  [hidden email]
Just Objects B.V.     tel +31 65 4268627 Skype: justb4
The Netherlands       http://www.justobjects.nl

Re: GS 2.1-beta2 : Shapefile rendering causes NIO OutOfMemory

geowolf
On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 6:30 PM, Just van den Broecke
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 09-12-10 16:32, Andrea Aime wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 3:13 PM, Just van den Broecke
>> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> Hi Andrea,

>>> No on Ubuntu Linux, settings:
>>> Ubuntu 9.10 32b, 12 GB RAM, Sun JDK 1.6_22, native JAI+ImageIO, Tomcat
>>> 6.0.29, no Gdal bindings. Tomcat JAVA_OPTS="-server -Xmx1500M -Xms256M
>>> -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=36000 -XX:MaxPermSize=512m -XX:+UseParallelGC"
>>>
>>> I use a directory of (10) Shape files as a datastore. The problem
>>> happens only with one Shape file (the largest: 370MB dbf).
>>
>> Hmmm... odd, during the FOSS4G shootout we had 1.7GB .shp and
>> dbf files over 2GB and found no issues.
> That was 2.1-beta1 probably ? Like said in 2.0.2 I also had no issues.
>>
>> Is it possible to have the shapefile in question along with the style
>> and the request that makes it break?
> Ok, already sent privately.

Ok, finally found some time to look into this. I can confirm this is an issue
happening on windows only, the memory mapping failed to be disabled
according to configuration

I fixed it, but not in time for beta3. However I've attached fixed shapefile
store jar which should work as a replacement for the one in beta3 here:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-4268

Past the patch I tried to display a 4.5GB (total, shp + dbf) shapefile
which was part of the
FOSS4G 2010 exercise on windows and had no issues

Cheers
Andrea

Ing. Andrea Aime
Senior Software Engineer

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy

phone: +39 0584962313
fax:     +39 0584962313

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://geo-solutions.blogspot.com/
http://www.linkedin.com/in/andreaaime
http://twitter.com/geowolf

Re: GS 2.1-beta2 : Shapefile rendering causes NIO OutOfMemory

Just van den Broecke
Hi Andrea,

Thanks! The issue seems solved with your patch. For the record the, or
another issue appeared in a different form in 2.1-beta3 (see below) but
seems fixed as well. This all is on Ubuntu 9.10 32b (I never do Windows).

I checked first with unpatched 2.1-beta3 and saw 2 types of issues with
those shapefiles:
1) 21 Dec 11:37:22 ERROR [geoserver.ows] -
org.geoserver.platform.ServiceException: The requested Style can not be
used with this layer.  The style specifies an attribute of STRNAAMNL and
the layer is: inspire:gn_wegdeel_punt
        at
org.geoserver.wms.map.GetMapKvpRequestReader.checkStyle(GetMapKvpRequestReader.java:1051)

2) 21 Dec 11:54:58 ERROR [geotools.rendering] - PropertyDescriptor is
null - did you request a property that does not exist?
org.geotools.data.DataSourceException: PropertyDescriptor is null - did
you request a property that does not exist?
        at
org.vfny.geoserver.global.GeoServerFeatureSource.getFeatures(GeoServerFeatureSource.java:344)
        at
org.vfny.geoserver.global.GeoServerFeatureSource.getFeatures(GeoServerFeatureSource.java:66)
        at
org.geotools.renderer.lite.StreamingRenderer.queryLayer(StreamingRenderer.java:1078)
        at
org.geotools.renderer.lite.StreamingRenderer.processStylers(StreamingRenderer.java:1892)
        at
org.geotools.renderer.lite.StreamingRenderer.paint(StreamingRenderer.java:759)
        at
org.geoserver.wms.map.RenderedImageMapOutputFormat.produceMap(RenderedImageMapOutputFormat.java:429)

I was sure that these attributes as refered in the SLD exist. When going
to the layer edit page, there was only the geometry attribute of the
layer. When clicking "Reload feature type", all other attributes
appeared and the above errors were gone. However the errors reappeared
after each GS restart.

After substituting your gt-shapefile-2.7-SNAPSHOT.jar for the one in
2.1-beta3 the issues never occurred again. The more strange since both
versions of gt-shapefile-2.7-SNAPSHOT.jar were equal in size and just
differed in one byte:
cmp gt-shapefile-2.7-SNAPSHOT.jar
../../gt-shapefile-2.7-SNAPSHOT.jar.old differ: byte 11, line 2 . But
ok, one byte can make all the difference !

best,

Just van den Broecke
www.justobjects.nl

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 12:53 PM, Just van den Broecke <[hidden email]> wrote:
After substituting your gt-shapefile-2.7-SNAPSHOT.jar for the one in
2.1-beta3 the issues never occurred again. The more strange since both
versions of gt-shapefile-2.7-SNAPSHOT.jar were equal in size and just
differed in one byte:
cmp gt-shapefile-2.7-SNAPSHOT.jar
../../gt-shapefile-2.7-SNAPSHOT.jar.old differ: byte 11, line 2 . But
ok, one byte can make all the difference !

LOL, it sure does :-)