[GRASS-user] convert vector line topology to area topology

[GRASS-user] convert vector line topology to area topology

Nicolas Devaux
Hi, I start to use Grass, and I'm wondering if I'm not doing wrong,
trying to apply ArcInfo 7 concepts to Grass vector topology.

Is it possible to change a vector line topology map to a new vector area
topology map?

I explain : I imported a raster map showing fields boundaries. I want to
convert this map into vector information showing fields as areas. Before
doing that, I would like to work on line geometry in order to enhance
final quality information (close interrupted boundaries, erase dangle
nodes...).
I use r.to.vect with line option and do all cleaning operations needed.
But after all I can't reach area topology (using v.build or v.clean). If
I use at the beginning r.to.vect with area option, unclosed fields
boundaries are not converted....
With Arcinfo, I used to import at first line information, and it was
possible after to reach polygon topology using "build polygon" command.
How can I manage the same problem with Grass?

Thanks for any help

Re: [GRASS-user] convert vector line topology to area topology

Maciek Sieczka
On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 14:37:06 +0200
Nicolas Devaux <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, I start to use Grass, and I'm wondering if I'm not doing wrong,
> trying to apply ArcInfo 7 concepts to Grass vector topology.
>
> Is it possible to change a vector line topology map to a new vector
> area topology map?
>
> I explain : I imported a raster map showing fields boundaries. I want
> to convert this map into vector information showing fields as areas.
> Before doing that, I would like to work on line geometry in order to
> enhance final quality information (close interrupted boundaries,
> erase dangle nodes...).
> I use r.to.vect with line option and do all cleaning operations
> needed. But after all I can't reach area topology (using v.build or
> v.clean). If I use at the beginning r.to.vect with area option,
> unclosed fields boundaries are not converted....
> With Arcinfo, I used to import at first line information, and it was
> possible after to reach polygon topology using "build polygon"
> command. How can I manage the same problem with Grass?

Grass "areas"="boundary"+"centroid". Atrributes are attached to
centroids, boundaries are usually attribute- and even category-less.

So the way to go might be:

Once you have your vector lines file cleaned as needed, remove it's
datatable (v.db.droptable), delete categories from lines (v.category
option=del) convert them into boundaries (v.type), add new datatable,
which you will use for attributting centroids (v.db.addtable/db.execute
+v.db.connect; the latter will let you understand Grass & DB issues
better), digitize centroids, one per each area (v.digit/QGIS) adding
attributes manually (but I'm wondering whether v.what.rast wouldn't let
you sample raster at centroids location instead of manally inputting
attributes; or does it really support only points, as the manuall says
- Anybody knows?).

Maciek

--------------------
W polskim Internecie s? setki milion?w stron. My przekazujemy Tobie tylko najlepsze z nich!
http://katalog.panoramainternetu.pl/

Re: [GRASS-user] convert vector line topology to area topology

Markus Neteler-3
On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 08:24:55PM +0200, Maciek Sieczka wrote:

> On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 14:37:06 +0200
> Nicolas Devaux <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi, I start to use Grass, and I'm wondering if I'm not doing wrong,
> > trying to apply ArcInfo 7 concepts to Grass vector topology.
> >
> > Is it possible to change a vector line topology map to a new vector
> > area topology map?
> >
> > I explain : I imported a raster map showing fields boundaries. I want
> > to convert this map into vector information showing fields as areas.
> > Before doing that, I would like to work on line geometry in order to
> > enhance final quality information (close interrupted boundaries,
> > erase dangle nodes...).

Shouldn't r.to.vect feature=are give you closed polygons?

> > I use r.to.vect with line option and do all cleaning operations
> > needed. But after all I can't reach area topology (using v.build or
> > v.clean). If I use at the beginning r.to.vect with area option,
> > unclosed fields boundaries are not converted....
> > With Arcinfo, I used to import at first line information, and it was
> > possible after to reach polygon topology using "build polygon"
> > command. How can I manage the same problem with Grass?
>
> Grass "areas"="boundary"+"centroid". Atrributes are attached to
> centroids, boundaries are usually attribute- and even category-less.
>
> So the way to go might be:
>
> Once you have your vector lines file cleaned as needed, remove it's
> datatable (v.db.droptable), delete categories from lines (v.category
> option=del) convert them into boundaries (v.type), add new datatable,
> which you will use for attributting centroids (v.db.addtable/db.execute
> +v.db.connect; the latter will let you understand Grass & DB issues
> better), digitize centroids,

Add categories/centroids to a vector map without categories

v.category in=wkt out=wktnew option=add

> one per each area (v.digit/QGIS) adding
> attributes manually (but I'm wondering whether v.what.rast wouldn't let
> you sample raster at centroids location instead of manally inputting
> attributes; or does it really support only points, as the manuall says
> - Anybody knows?).

To me it all sounds very complicated. Why not r.to.vect? Maybe I wa
reading the mail too fast :-)

Markus