[GRASS-user] compiling GDAL from source after Grass

[GRASS-user] compiling GDAL from source after Grass

Alessandro Bigi-2
Hello all,
        I am trying to following the instructions from the wiki and from the
"GRASS Users Group of Davis" help page in order to get GDAL and Grass.
I had successfully compiled and installed grass61, but I realized later I
was missing GDAL. So, now, I'm trying to compile and install it from source
(www.gdal.org): I am using the 1.2.6 version, as the one in Debian Sarge,
and configure it using "--with-grass=/usr/local/grass61".
Apparently configuration is ok, however during the "make" I have numerous
error messages such as "grass57dataset.cpp.### directory not found."

Do I have any other chance besides to compile/install GDAL without grass,
then compile/install grass6.1 again and finally GDAL with grass, as
suggested in the WIKI? I struggled already to have grass61, I dont know how
much I will take to do it once more...

Thanks for suggestions!!

Alessandro

Re: [GRASS-user] compiling GDAL from source after Grass

Maciek Sieczka
On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 13:38:29 +0200
Alessandro Bigi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
> I am trying to following the instructions from the wiki and
> from the "GRASS Users Group of Davis" help page in order to get GDAL
> and Grass. I had successfully compiled and installed grass61, but I
> realized later I was missing GDAL. So, now, I'm trying to compile and
> install it from source (www.gdal.org): I am using the 1.2.6 version,
> as the one in Debian Sarge, and configure it using
> "--with-grass=/usr/local/grass61". Apparently configuration is ok,
> however during the "make" I have numerous error messages such as
> "grass57dataset.cpp.### directory not found."

> Do I have any other chance besides to compile/install GDAL without
> grass, then compile/install grass6.1 again and finally GDAL with
> grass, as suggested in the WIKI?

Where did you read that?! This might be an outdated info that needs
correction. Please let us now!

> I struggled already to have grass61, I dont know how much I will take
> to do it once more...

Best way to go:

0. Uninstall Gdal 1.2.6 and Grass 6.1.

1. Install GDAL 1.3.1 (eg. from Debian GIS:
http://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/debian-gis/pool/g/gdal)

2. Build Grass 6.1 (you already know how to :)).

3. Don't rebuild GDAL, use gdal-grass plugin instead (really
straightforward,
http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/Compile_and_install_GRASS_and_QGIS_with_GDAL/OGR_Plugin)

4. Enjoy :).

Maciek

--------------------
W polskim Internecie s? setki milion?w stron. My przekazujemy Tobie tylko najlepsze z nich!
http://katalog.panoramainternetu.pl/

Re: [GRASS-user] compiling GDAL from source after Grass

Maciek Sieczka
Update:

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 20:36:39 +0200
Maciek Sieczka <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 1. Install GDAL 1.3.1 (eg. from Debian GIS:
> http://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/debian-gis/pool/g/gdal)

For Grass 6.1 CVS beginning with 2006.07.06 you'll need Gdal 1.3.2 to
have v.in.ogr working. See this thread:
http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass-dev/2006-July/024255.html

Maciek

--------------------
W polskim Internecie s? setki milion?w stron. My przekazujemy Tobie tylko najlepsze z nich!
http://katalog.panoramainternetu.pl/

Re: [GRASS-user] compiling GDAL from source after Grass

Markus Neteler-3
On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 09:16:32PM +0200, Maciek Sieczka wrote:

> Update:
>
> On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 20:36:39 +0200
> Maciek Sieczka <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > 1. Install GDAL 1.3.1 (eg. from Debian GIS:
> > http://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/debian-gis/pool/g/gdal)
>
> For Grass 6.1 CVS beginning with 2006.07.06 you'll need Gdal 1.3.2 to
> have v.in.ogr working. See this thread:
> http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass-dev/2006-July/024255.html

Update again:

For Grass 6.1 CVS beginning with 2006.07.06, Fr Jul 7 22:19:07 UTC 2006
you can continue to use your current GDAL installation :-)

I have conditionalized the support of OFTDate which requires GDAL 1.3.2.
If you have an GDAL older version, v.in.ogr will now work again (of course
without OFTDate support).

But it's a good idea to use GDAL 1.3.2.

cheers

 Markus