GRASS GUI

Mohammed Rashad
Is there any need of changing GRASS GUI to a better one . i thought of using FOX C++ GUI. Its  cross-platform, easy to maintain and better look and feel than wxPython .

Is there any issues for making a new GUI.

Regards,
Mohammed Rashad.K.M
+919605476742

Re: GRASS GUI

Martin Landa
Hi,

2009/2/16 Mohammed Rashad <[hidden email]>:
> Is there any need of changing GRASS GUI to a better one . i thought of using
> FOX C++ GUI. Its  cross-platform, easy to maintain and better look and feel
> than wxPython .
>
> Is there any issues for making a new GUI.

Feel free to start working on the new and new GUI ;-) I wish you to
find some contributors... Personally I would choose QT if you prefer
C++.

Regards, Martin

--
Martin Landa <landa.martin gmail.com> * http://gama.fsv.cvut.cz/~landa

Re: GRASS GUI

Michael Barton

On Feb 16, 2009, at 10:00 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 21:47:55 +0530
> From: Mohammed Rashad <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [GRASS-GUI] GRASS GUI
> To: [hidden email]
>
> Is there any need of changing GRASS GUI to a better one . i thought
> of using
> FOX C++ GUI. Its  cross-platform, easy to maintain and better look
> and feel
> than wxPython .
>
> Is there any issues for making a new GUI.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to change from new wxPython GUI
under development rather than contribute to it? I should also note
that few GRASS developers feel comfortable with C++, so you might have
difficulty maintaining a GUI based on this language.

Michael

Re: GRASS GUI

Glynn Clements

Michael Barton wrote:

> > Is there any need of changing GRASS GUI to a better one . i thought
> > of using
> > FOX C++ GUI. Its  cross-platform, easy to maintain and better look
> > and feel
> > than wxPython .
> >
> > Is there any issues for making a new GUI.
>
> Out of curiosity, why do you want to change from new wxPython GUI
> under development rather than contribute to it? I should also note
> that few GRASS developers feel comfortable with C++, so you might have
> difficulty maintaining a GUI based on this language.

Note that C++ is the preferred language for writing Python extension
modules. You can use C, but it tends to require more "boilerplate".

I think that it's more accurate to say that most developers prefer the
use of an interpreted language for the GUI, partly to ease user
customisation, partly to accelerate development.

--
Glynn Clements <[hidden email]>

Re: GRASS GUI

Mohammed Rashad

Out of curiosity, why do you want to change from new wxPython GUI under development rather than contribute to it? I should also note that few GRASS developers feel comfortable with C++, so you might have difficulty maintaining a GUI based on this language.

Michael

How should i Contribute to current GUI development ???

Re: Re: GRASS GUI

Martin Landa
Hi,

2009/2/17 Mohammed Rashad <[hidden email]>:

>> Out of curiosity, why do you want to change from new wxPython GUI under
>> development rather than contribute to it? I should also note that few GRASS
>> developers feel comfortable with C++, so you might have difficulty
>> maintaining a GUI based on this language.
>>
>> Michael
>
> How should i Contribute to current GUI development ???

to develop new features, to fix existing bugs, etc. Sorry, it's
question for you not for us ;-) See wiki page [1] for ideas.

Martin

[1] http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/wxGUI

--
Martin Landa <landa.martin gmail.com> * http://gama.fsv.cvut.cz/~landa

Re: Re: GRASS GUI

Jarek Jasiewicz
If you really want to help in creating new gui and you need some
inspiration  I suggest create tool to graphical managment of GIS data -
something like "GRASS Catalog"
Jarek

2009/2/17 Jarek Jasiewicz <[hidden email]>:
> If you really want to help in creating new gui and you need some inspiration
>  I suggest create tool to graphical managment of GIS data - something like
> "GRASS Catalog"

I put this idea on wiki

http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/WxPython-based_GUI_for_GRASS#Data_Catalog

Feel free to improve ...

Martin

--
Martin Landa <landa.martin gmail.com> * http://gama.fsv.cvut.cz/~landa

Re: GRASS GUI

Martin Landa
[back to ML]

2009/2/17 Mohammed Rashad <[hidden email]>:

> http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/WxPython-based_GUI_for_GRASS#Data_Catalog
>
> can u explain me more on GRASS Catalog

please try to send your messages to ML. More people more opinions ;-)

M.

--
Martin Landa <landa.martin gmail.com> * http://gama.fsv.cvut.cz/~landa

Re: GRASS GUI

Mohammed Rashad

can anyone  explain more on graphical managment of GIS data  GRASS Catalog

Regards,
Mohammed Rashad.K.M
+919605476742

Re: Re: GRASS GUI

Jarek Jasiewicz
Its only Idea (Sorry ,Martin I didn't notice your idea on grass viki)

"Grass Catalog" it don't exist (exist other "ArcCatlaog" but it is
commercial and rather expensive tool, but it could be good inspiation),
but I (and probaly some more people too) will welcome a tool where we
can easyly manage GIS data.

What it shoud have:

1) data tree where we can see all maps in at least current mapset
groupped by raster, vector, tables, nd so on. i know wxPython wery poor
(problems with time!, and I'm rather archeologist not programer) but it
shoud be very easy do create such tool with g.list and wxTreeCtrl
2) every map in list shall be displayed in low resolution (to perform
fast display) in catalog window. It coud be little problematic because
it cannot infuents on computational region of grass
3) for every displayed map could be easily renamed, deleted, copied to
new map
4) some operation like delete could be done in batch mode
5) easy way to import and export map to other gis format

All mentioned operation can be easyly done with grass commands like
g.copy, g.rename, but GUI to manage it would be nice addational tool. So
if you would like to create ...

Jarek

Mohammed Rashad pisze:

> http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/WxPython-based_GUI_for_GRASS#Data_Catalog
>
> can anyone  explain more on graphical managment of GIS data  GRASS Catalog
>

> Regards,
> Mohammed Rashad.K.M
> +919605476742

Re: Re: GRASS GUI

Martin Landa
Cześć Jarek,

2009/2/17 Jarek Jasiewicz <[hidden email]>:
> Its only Idea (Sorry ,Martin I didn't notice your idea on grass viki)

there is no reason why to apologize ;-) - I updated the wiki page
based on your idea...

> "Grass Catalog" it don't exist (exist other "ArcCatlaog" but it is
> commercial and rather expensive tool, but it could be good inspiation), but
> I (and probaly some more people too) will welcome a tool where we can easyly
> manage GIS data.
>
> What it shoud have:
>
> 1) data tree where we can see all maps in at least current mapset groupped
> by raster, vector, tables, nd so on. i know wxPython wery poor (problems
> with time!, and I'm rather archeologist not programer) but it shoud be very
> easy do create such tool with g.list and wxTreeCtrl
> 2) every map in list shall be displayed in low resolution (to perform fast
> display) in catalog window. It coud be little problematic because it cannot
> infuents on computational region of grass
> 3) for every displayed map could be easily renamed, deleted, copied to new
> map
> 4) some operation like delete could be done in batch mode
> 5) easy way to import and export map to other gis format
>
> All mentioned operation can be easyly done with grass commands like g.copy,
> g.rename, but GUI to manage it would be nice addational tool. So if you
> would like to create ...

Feel free to extent ideas about "Data Catalog" on wiki...

Thanks, Martin

On Feb 18, 2009, at 10:00 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 19:33:02 +0100
> From: Jarek Jasiewicz <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS-GUI] Re: GRASS GUI
> To: Martin Landa <[hidden email]>
> Cc: [hidden email], Mohammed Rashad <[hidden email]>
>
> If you really want to help in creating new gui and you need some
> inspiration  I suggest create tool to graphical managment of GIS
> data -
> something like "GRASS Catalog"
> Jarek
>
> Martin Landa pisze:
>> Hi,

>>> How should i Contribute to current GUI development ???
>>>

>> to develop new features, to fix existing bugs, etc. Sorry, it's
>> question for you not for us ;-) See wiki page [1] for ideas.
>>
>> Martin
>>
>> [1] http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/wxGUI

Another very useful module that needs to be created is a GUI for
cartography and layout. Currently, we have a nice cartography module,
ps.map, but it is command line/configuration file driven. An
interactive cartography module would be much appreciated by many.

Michael