GRASS GIS on an Alpine Linux docker

Pietro Zambelli
Dear all,

Recently I've started looking for a docker image with GRASS, I'm looking for a minimal image that is as small as possible.
From my test the other images available where always above 1GB of size, the current version once built have a size of ~220 MB.
Another difference respect to others dockers available that I found is that it is possible to select which version use when building the image:

```
sudo docker build --build-arg GRASS_VERSION=7.7 \
                  --build-arg PYTHON_VERSION=3  \
                  --build-arg PROJ_VERSION=5.2.0 \
                  --build-arg PROJ_DATUMGRID_VERSION=1.8 \
                  --volume \
                  zarch/alpine-grass-gis
```

You can find the repository here:

https://github.com/zarch/docker-alpine-grass-gis

Do you have any feedback?
Any hint to improve the `Dockerfile` or the `README.md` are welcome. :-)

Thank you for the support.
Best regards

Pietro

Re: GRASS GIS on an Alpine Linux docker

Martin Landa
Hi,

st 15. 5. 2019 v 15:18 odesílatel Pietro <[hidden email]> napsal:
> Recently I've started looking for a docker image with GRASS, I'm looking for a minimal image that is as small as possible.
> From my test the other images available where always above 1GB of size, the current version once built have a size of ~220 MB.
> Another difference respect to others dockers available that I found is that it is possible to select which version use when building the image:

great, probably we should start collecting all GRASS-related dockers
on GRASS wiki?

Ma

--
Martin Landa
http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa

Re: GRASS GIS on an Alpine Linux docker

Markus Neteler
Hi

Martin Landa <[hidden email]> schrieb am Mi., 15. Mai 2019, 15:30:
Hi,

st 15. 5. 2019 v 15:18 odesílatel Pietro <[hidden email]> napsal:
> Recently I've started looking for a docker image with GRASS, I'm looking for a minimal image that is as small as possible.
> From my test the other images available where always above 1GB of size, the current version once built have a size of ~220 MB.

I also made an Alpine based docker some time ago, see GitHub. Lately it didn't build any more but I didn't have time to fix it.

> Another difference respect to others dockers available that I found is that it is possible to select which version use when building the image:

great, probably we should start collecting all GRASS-related dockers
on GRASS wiki?

Yes. At time they are collected here

I think that the wiki might be better.

Markus

Re: GRASS GIS on an Alpine Linux docker

Markus Neteler
Hi again,

On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 3:18 PM Pietro <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Recently I've started looking for a docker image with GRASS, I'm looking for a minimal image that is as small as possible.
> From my test the other images available where always above 1GB of size, the current version once built have a size of ~220 MB.
> Another difference respect to others dockers available that I found is that it is possible to select which version use when building the image:
>
> ```
> sudo docker build --build-arg GRASS_VERSION=7.7 \
>                   --build-arg PYTHON_VERSION=3  \
>                   --build-arg PROJ_VERSION=5.2.0 \
>                   --build-arg PROJ_DATUMGRID_VERSION=1.8 \
>                   --volume \
>                   zarch/alpine-grass-gis
> ```
>
> You can find the repository here:
>
> https://github.com/zarch/docker-alpine-grass-gis
>
> Do you have any feedback?

It looks much better now than my old attempts - thank you :)

> Any hint to improve the `Dockerfile` or the `README.md` are welcome. :-)

I'll give it a try as will report back.

Best
Markus