GRASS GIS Budget 2019 - draft

12

Re: GRASS GIS Budget 2019 - draft

Markus Neteler
On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 11:49 AM Margherita Di Leo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 10:35 PM Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Done: our nextcloud space is up and running. All PSC members should
>> now have received an invitation email.
>> The login credentials are the usual OSGeo LDAP credentials.
>>
>> It seems that also "Nextcloud Collabora" is installed (didn't try that yet).
>>
> Cool! Thanks a lot Markus. Any plans of using also the calendar and other tools available (announcement etc)
> for optimizing PSC work, for example deadline to define budget, release planning, community sprints ant
> other milestones?

I'm quite in favour!

Markus

Re: GRASS GIS Budget 2019 - draft

Markus Neteler
Hi Moritz and Martin,

On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 10:46 AM Moritz Lennert
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 6/01/19 12:19, Markus Neteler wrote:

> >> I was not reimbursed either, but instead donated that for beers next time :)
> >> (IIRC, was something like 90 euros or so from train tickets)
> >
> > Thanks - we should keep track of that as well!
>
> This actually reduces our accounting error to about 5€ (negative now,
> i.e. 5 € are not accounted for), which is probably an acceptable error rate.

May I ask you to update soon-ish for the correct surplus amount of 2018:
https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Budget_2019
?

We need to move on and report our wishes to the OSGeo board asap.

thanks,
Markus

Re: GRASS GIS Budget 2019 - draft

Martin Landa
Hi,

ne 13. 1. 2019 v 23:28 odesílatel Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> napsal:
> [...]

if I count well

Bonn: 2732.28 -99.70->2632.58 ([1] updated)

> > This actually reduces our accounting error to about 5€ (negative now,
> > i.e. 5 € are not accounted for), which is probably an acceptable error rate.

3630.74 -(2632.58+106) -> 892.16

I took liberty to updated also [2].

Moritz, please check, feel free to correct.

Thanks, Martin

[1] https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Budget_2018#Expenses
[2] https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Budget_2019#Income

--
Martin Landa
http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa

Re: GRASS GIS Budget 2019 - draft

Moritz Lennert
On 13/01/19 23:54, Martin Landa wrote:

> Hi,

> if I count well
>
> Bonn: 2732.28 -99.70->2632.58 ([1] updated)
>
>>> This actually reduces our accounting error to about 5€ (negative now,
>>> i.e. 5 € are not accounted for), which is probably an acceptable error rate.
>
> 3630.74 -(2632.58+106) -> 892.16

> I took liberty to updated also [2].
>
> Moritz, please check, feel free to correct.

I've added to [1] the small amount that is unaccounted for in order to
get as surplus from 2018 in [2] the exact amount on the bank account.

So to my best knowledge we now have correct accounts.

Moritz

> Thanks, Martin
>
> [1] https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Budget_2018#Expenses
> [2] https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Budget_2019#Income

Re: GRASS GIS Budget 2019 - draft

Markus Neteler
On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 10:18 AM Moritz Lennert
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 13/01/19 23:54, Martin Landa wrote:
> > Moritz, please check, feel free to correct.
>
> I've added to [1] the small amount that is unaccounted for in order to
> get as surplus from 2018 in [2] the exact amount on the bank account.
>
> So to my best knowledge we now have correct accounts.

Excellent, thanks!

[1] https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Budget_2018#Expenses
[2] https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Budget_2019#Income

The next question is
- how much to budget to ask OSGeo? Deadline is close
- how much to aim to get through donations? For this we should start a
campaign then.

Markus

On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 10:09 AM Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [1] https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Budget_2018#Expenses
> [2] https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Budget_2019#Income
>
> The next question is
> - how much to budget to ask OSGeo? Deadline is close
> - how much to aim to get through donations? For this we should start a
> campaign then.

Here you see what the other projects request:

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2019#OSGeo_Projects
(e.g. QGIS 8000 USD)

Markus

On 17/01/19 10:09, Markus Neteler wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 10:18 AM Moritz Lennert
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 13/01/19 23:54, Martin Landa wrote:
>>> Moritz, please check, feel free to correct.
>>
>> I've added to [1] the small amount that is unaccounted for in order to
>> get as surplus from 2018 in [2] the exact amount on the bank account.
>>
>> So to my best knowledge we now have correct accounts.
>
> Excellent, thanks!
>
> [1] https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Budget_2018#Expenses
> [2] https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Budget_2019#Income
>
> The next question is
> - how much to budget to ask OSGeo? Deadline is close
> - how much to aim to get through donations? For this we should start a
> campaign then.

I would believe it to be realistic that we should be able to get at
least 2000€ in donations through a targeted campaign. But this is
obviously just some intuitive wild guessing.

That would mean we should ask for about 7000€ from OSGeo. If they give
us less, then we will have to raise more... ;-)

Moritz

Re: GRASS GIS Budget 2019 - draft

Martin Landa
Hi,

čt 17. 1. 2019 v 10:51 odesílatel Moritz Lennert
<[hidden email]> napsal:

https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Budget_2019#Planned_Expenses

two notes:

1) GRASS GIS Community Sprint FOSS4G Bucarest 2019 (extension of the
OSGeo Code Sprint)

This year OSGeo Code Sprint is located in U.S. I would remove text in brackets.

2) Would be nice to plan our own Code Sprint in Spring/Autumn. Berlin
has been discussed several times as good place.

> That would mean we should ask for about 7000€ from OSGeo. If they give
> us less, then we will have to raise more... ;-)

7e3 seems to be reasonable (since we want to redo website). I would
even ask for more, we don't have so strong donation program as QGIS
has.

Ma

Re: GRASS GIS Budget 2019 - draft

Veronica Andreo
Hi :)

<[hidden email]> napsal:

https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Budget_2019#Planned_Expenses

two notes:

1) GRASS GIS Community Sprint FOSS4G Bucarest 2019 (extension of the
OSGeo Code Sprint)

This year OSGeo Code Sprint is located in U.S. I would remove text in brackets.

2) Would be nice to plan our own Code Sprint in Spring/Autumn. Berlin
has been discussed several times as good place.

> That would mean we should ask for about 7000€ from OSGeo. If they give
> us less, then we will have to raise more... ;-)

7e3 seems to be reasonable (since we want to redo website). I would
even ask for more, we don't have so strong donation program as QGIS
has.

I would also ask more, i.e., at least 8000 euro.

IIUC, QGIS is asking a total of 11000 euro, including their developers and users conf... So, why not? Whatever extra we might get from donations can be used for financing code sprints, travels or support bug fixing or development of new features

Cheers,
Vero

Re: GRASS GIS Budget 2019 - draft

Helena Mitasova-7
Please, prepare the budget for as much as we really need ($9000) with solid explanation and a committment to do fundraising for the website. This budget request is just to allocate money in the osgeo budget and see what the needs are - no money is distributed at this time so we will get some feedback on what can be funded. The board budget discussion is on Monday so it would be good to submit the request asap.

Helena

> On Jan 17, 2019, at 5:44 AM, Veronica Andreo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi :)
>
> El jue., 17 ene. 2019 7:25, Martin Landa <[hidden email]> escribió:
> Hi,
>
> čt 17. 1. 2019 v 10:51 odesílatel Moritz Lennert
> <[hidden email]> napsal:
>
> https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Budget_2019#Planned_Expenses
>
> two notes:
>
> 1) GRASS GIS Community Sprint FOSS4G Bucarest 2019 (extension of the
> OSGeo Code Sprint)
>
> This year OSGeo Code Sprint is located in U.S. I would remove text in brackets.
>
> 2) Would be nice to plan our own Code Sprint in Spring/Autumn. Berlin
> has been discussed several times as good place.
>
> > That would mean we should ask for about 7000€ from OSGeo. If they give
> > us less, then we will have to raise more... ;-)
>
> 7e3 seems to be reasonable (since we want to redo website). I would
> even ask for more, we don't have so strong donation program as QGIS
> has.
>
> I would also ask more, i.e., at least 8000 euro.
>
> IIUC, QGIS is asking a total of 11000 euro, including their developers and users conf... So, why not? Whatever extra we might get from donations can be used for financing code sprints, travels or support bug fixing or development of new features
>
> Cheers,
> Vero

Helena Mitasova
Professor at the Department of Marine,
Earth, and Atmospheric Sciences
Associate director and faculty fellow at the Center for Geospatial Analytics
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-8208

On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 2:50 PM Helena Mitasova <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please, prepare the budget for as much as we really need ($9000) with solid explanation and a committment to do fundraising for the website.

Working on it with Vero.

Important: we request 9000 USD - note that our
https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Budget_2019 is in EUR! As
of today, that would be 10.235 USD.

Since we plan a fundraising campaign (any volunteer to lead that?) we
can hopefully fill the delta.

> This budget request is just to allocate money in the osgeo budget and see what the needs are - no money is distributed at this time so we will get some feedback on what can be funded. The board budget discussion is on Monday so it would be good to submit the request asap.

It is now updated in the OSGeo wiki:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2019#OSGeo_Projects

The request to the board still has to be written, I suppose (can do
that later tonight).

Markus

PS: Martin, Moritz: what were the bank fees? Pls add to our budget.

On 20/01/19 21:06, Markus Neteler wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 2:50 PM Helena Mitasova <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Please, prepare the budget for as much as we really need ($9000) with solid explanation and a committment to do fundraising for the website.
>
> Working on it with Vero.
>
> Important: we request 9000 USD - note that our
> https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Budget_2019 is in EUR! As
> of today, that would be 10.235 USD.
>
> Since we plan a fundraising campaign (any volunteer to lead that?) we
> can hopefully fill the delta.

I would be willing to be part of a team for this, but rather not alone
because of the load at work for the moment.

Should we include our fundraising target as part of the 2019 budget ?

>> This budget request is just to allocate money in the osgeo budget and see what the needs are - no money is distributed at this time so we will get some feedback on what can be funded. The board budget discussion is on Monday so it would be good to submit the request asap.
>
> It is now updated in the OSGeo wiki:
> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2019#OSGeo_Projects
>
> The request to the board still has to be written, I suppose (can do
> that later tonight).

Great thanks ! I am busy writing a research proposal tonight, so can't
really help.

> PS: Martin, Moritz: what were the bank fees? Pls add to our budget.

There should normally not be any bank fees.

Moritz

Re: GRASS GIS Budget 2019 - draft

Markus Neteler
On Sun, Jan 20, 2019 at 9:50 PM Moritz Lennert
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 20/01/19 21:06, Markus Neteler wrote:
> > The request to the board still has to be written, I suppose (can do
> > that later tonight).
>
> Great thanks ! I am busy writing a research proposal tonight, so can't
> really help.

Done!

Markus

Re: GRASS GIS Budget 2019 - draft

Martin Landa
Hi Markus,

ne 20. 1. 2019 v 22:22 odesílatel Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> napsal:
> > > The request to the board still has to be written, I suppose (can do
> > > that later tonight).
> >
> > Great thanks ! I am busy writing a research proposal tonight, so can't
> > really help.

great, thanks to all, Ma

--
Martin Landa
http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa
http://gismentors.cz/mentors/landa

Re: GRASS GIS Budget 2019 - draft

Martin Landa

ne 20. 1. 2019 v 21:50 odesílatel Moritz Lennert
<[hidden email]> napsal:
> > PS: Martin, Moritz: what were the bank fees? Pls add to our budget.
>
> There should normally not be any bank fees.

same experience here. Ma

Vero wrote a nice motivation:

https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Website_migration_plan_2019#Why_a_new_Website

All submitted.

Markus

Re: GRASS GIS Budget 2019 - draft

Helmut Kudrnovsky
>Vero wrote a nice motivation:
>
>https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Website_migration_plan_2019#Why_a_new_Website

thanks to Vero for the very nice motivation letter.

-----
best regards
Helmut
--
Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/GRASS-PSC-f4051248.html
best regards
Helmut

Re: GRASS GIS Budget 2019 - draft

NikosAlexandris
* Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> [2018-12-18 21:54:48 +0100]:

>Proposal: Web site update
>
>For years we have a CMS with a style which does not really support
>mobile devices. Furthermore, it looks a bit old fashioned etc.
>
>Nicolas Boson (who has ample experience in creating OSGeo related Web
>sites and recently the symbol set etc) offers to redesign the site.
>In our offlist discussion we came up with the idea to switch to
>markdown etc. This could all be discussed in a separate email thread.

I am not a PSC member, yet if you allow me, this is great news.  A flat
file CMS and Markdown (and, there will be for sure some integrated
web-editor with edit and preview panes) should make things easy for
occasional contributors too. Markdown is easy to learn in my view.

I've tried Grav and Hugo myself last year(s).  Installation is a matter
of few minutes. Using existing themes and publishing material is
straight forward.

Maybe you should consider the option to go with some existing theme,
which is known and supported.  Tweaking themes at some extent without
retouching any CSS is also possible. And sometimes, it is enough to give
a kind of unique character to a website.

Creating yet another new and custom CSS would eventually lead to
problems of lack of time for maintaining.

I think this is the right way to go and it will decrease vastly the
amount of time and effort and money required to run a decent web-site.

Just my thoughts, Nikos
12