GRASS GIS Budget 2019 - draft

12

GRASS GIS Budget 2019 - draft

Markus Neteler
Hi PSC,

I have drafted a new Wiki page at
https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Budget_2019

... to be done in the Wiki page:
- what is the surplus of 2018? (Martin or Moritz?) - please add
- since 2016, we have some offlist we-need-a-new-web-site discussion
(see below), some figure added
- decide about community sprint in Bucarest at FOSS4G (a no-brainer I think :-)
- decide about other sprints throughout the year
- your ideas

Proposal: Web site update

For years we have a CMS with a style which does not really support
mobile devices. Furthermore, it looks a bit old fashioned etc.

Nicolas Boson (who has ample experience in creating OSGeo related Web
sites and recently the symbol set etc) offers to redesign the site.
In our offlist discussion we came up with the idea to switch to
markdown etc. This could all be discussed in a separate email thread.

Overall, time to prepare the budget. We may ask OSGeo for financial
support here.

Please post your thoughts.

Best,
Markus

Re: GRASS GIS Budget 2019 - draft

Moritz Lennert
On 18/12/18 21:54, Markus Neteler wrote:
> Hi PSC,
>
> I have drafted a new Wiki page at
> https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Budget_2019
>
> ... to be done in the Wiki page:
> - what is the surplus of 2018? (Martin or Moritz?) - please add

The current amount in the bank account is 1159,61€, but I think Martin
has never been reimbursed for the 2018 Sprint as I never received the
bank account info.

I don't know if the amount on the bank account is to be considered a
"surplus". For that we would need the detailed accounts of 2018, not
only the planned expenses as currently in [1].

Looking at what we had left at the end of 2017 (1592,85€ according to
[1]), this would mean that we actually have a negative balance of
1159,61€ - 1592,85€ = −433,24€, if what is on the bank account is all
that is left (i.e. no other sums lying somewhere else).

> - since 2016, we have some offlist we-need-a-new-web-site discussion
> (see below), some figure added
> - decide about community sprint in Bucarest at FOSS4G (a no-brainer I think :-)
> - decide about other sprints throughout the year

I think a second sprint somewhere in February/March would be nice. Is
there a general OSGeo Sprint planned again ? If the information in the
"Planned expenses" table in [1] is correct, we should probably aim at
something like 2500-3000€ if this is possible.

> - your ideas
>

> Proposal: Web site update
>
> For years we have a CMS with a style which does not really support
> mobile devices. Furthermore, it looks a bit old fashioned etc.
>
> Nicolas Boson (who has ample experience in creating OSGeo related Web
> sites and recently the symbol set etc) offers to redesign the site.
> In our offlist discussion we came up with the idea to switch to
> markdown etc. This could all be discussed in a separate email thread.

Sounds good. Is he willing to do this for free or should we try to raise
some money in the community to finance this ?

> Overall, time to prepare the budget. We may ask OSGeo for financial
> support here.

I think the main support would be for travelling costs to sprints.

Moritz

[1] https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Budget_2018.

Re: GRASS GIS Budget 2019 - draft

Markus Neteler
Hi,

Am Mi., 19. Dez. 2018, 15:07 hat Moritz Lennert <[hidden email]> geschrieben:
On 18/12/18 21:54, Markus Neteler wrote:
> Hi PSC,
>
> I have drafted a new Wiki page at
> https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Budget_2019
>
> ... to be done in the Wiki page:
> - what is the surplus of 2018? (Martin or Moritz?) - please add

The current amount in the bank account is 1159,61€, but I think Martin
has never been reimbursed for the 2018 Sprint as I never received the
bank account info.

Ouch?
I guess I have it somewhere.

@Martin: could you let us know please?

Looking at what we had left at the end of 2017 (1592,85€ according to
[1]), this would mean that we actually have a negative balance of
1159,61€ - 1592,85€ = −433,24€, if what is on the bank account is all
that is left (i.e. no other sums lying somewhere else).

Mhh, that's surprising. I was convinced so far that we do not have debits. We requested budget support by OSGeo to avoid any debits.

> - since 2016, we have some offlist we-need-a-new-web-site discussion
> (see below), some figure added
> - decide about community sprint in Bucarest at FOSS4G (a no-brainer I think :-)
> - decide about other sprints throughout the year

I think a second sprint somewhere in February/March would be nice. Is
there a general OSGeo Sprint planned again ?

I'm not yet informed but if not I'll suggest it :)

If the information in the
"Planned expenses" table in [1] is correct, we should probably aim at
something like 2500-3000€ if this is possible.

I guess even more is possible.

> - your ideas
>

> Proposal: Web site update
>
> For years we have a CMS with a style which does not really support
> mobile devices. Furthermore, it looks a bit old fashioned etc.
>
> Nicolas Boson (who has ample experience in creating OSGeo related Web
> sites and recently the symbol set etc) offers to redesign the site.
> In our offlist discussion we came up with the idea to switch to
> markdown etc. This could all be discussed in a separate email thread.

Sounds good. Is he willing to do this for free or should we try to raise
some money in the community to finance this ?

He's not willing to do this for free.
The sum roughly estimated by him I have put into the wiki.

> Overall, time to prepare the budget. We may ask OSGeo for financial
> support here.

I think the main support would be for travelling costs to sprints.

... IMHO as well as the web site.

Markus

Am 22. Dezember 2018 14:56:11 MEZ schrieb Markus Neteler <[hidden email]>:

>Hi,
>
>Am Mi., 19. Dez. 2018, 15:07 hat Moritz Lennert <
>[hidden email]> geschrieben:
>
>> On 18/12/18 21:54, Markus Neteler wrote:
>> > Hi PSC,
>> >
>> > I have drafted a new Wiki page at
>> > https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Budget_2019
>> >
>> > ... to be done in the Wiki page:
>> > - what is the surplus of 2018? (Martin or Moritz?) - please add
>>
>> The current amount in the bank account is 1159,61€, but I think
>Martin
>> has never been reimbursed for the 2018 Sprint as I never received the
>> bank account info.
>>

>Ouch?
>I guess I have it somewhere.

Already handled by PM between the two of us.

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Community_Sprint_2019

>If the information in the
>> "Planned expenses" table in [1] is correct, we should probably aim at
>> something like 2500-3000€ if this is possible.
>>

>I guess even more is possible.

Is the website update eligible for support from OSGeo ?

>> > - your ideas
>> >

>> > Proposal: Web site update
>> >
>> > For years we have a CMS with a style which does not really support
>> > mobile devices. Furthermore, it looks a bit old fashioned etc.
>> >
>> > Nicolas Boson (who has ample experience in creating OSGeo related
>Web
>> > sites and recently the symbol set etc) offers to redesign the site.
>> > In our offlist discussion we came up with the idea to switch to
>> > markdown etc. This could all be discussed in a separate email
>thread.
>>
>> Sounds good. Is he willing to do this for free or should we try to
>raise
>> some money in the community to finance this ?
>>

>He's not willing to do this for free.
>The sum roughly estimated by him I have put into the wiki.

Looks like a community fundraising might be necessary.

Moritz

Re: GRASS GIS Budget 2019 - draft

Markus Neteler
On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 3:21 PM Moritz Lennert
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Am 22. Dezember 2018 14:56:11 MEZ schrieb Markus Neteler <[hidden email]>:

[...]

> Is the website update eligible for support from OSGeo ?

IMHO yes.
It is an outreach activity and needed to promote OSGeo. GRASS GIS is
also a co-founding project of the foundation itself.

[...]

> >The sum roughly estimated by him I have put into the wiki.
>
> Looks like a community fundraising might be necessary.

Or first ask OSGeo - the foundation's budget is not that bad :-)

Of course we (who volunteers?) can additionally run a community
fundraising campaign.

On 19/12/18 15:07, Moritz Lennert wrote:

> On 18/12/18 21:54, Markus Neteler wrote:
>> Hi PSC,
>>
>> I have drafted a new Wiki page at
>> https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Budget_2019
>>
>> ... to be done in the Wiki page:
>> - what is the surplus of 2018? (Martin or Moritz?) - please add
>
> The current amount in the bank account is 1159,61€, but I think Martin
> has never been reimbursed for the 2018 Sprint as I never received the
> bank account info.

After having reimbursed Martin, the current amount in the bank account
is 887,46.

> I don't know if the amount on the bank account is to be considered a
> "surplus". For that we would need the detailed accounts of 2018, not
> only the planned expenses as currently in [1].
>
> Looking at what we had left at the end of 2017 (1592,85€ according to
> [1]), this would mean that we actually have a negative balance of
> 1159,61€ - 1592,85€ = −433,24€, if what is on the bank account is all
> that is left (i.e. no other sums lying somewhere else).

As the 1592.85€ were not put onto the current bank account, I suppose
that they have been spent completely, but I don't know. Where was this
money located "physically", only in Martin's bank account, or is there
some money somewhere else, maybe in the US ?

The current bank account's only income were 2000€ Euro apparently
received from OSGeo. In the Sprint 2018 account's [1] I see that a bit
over 2700€ were supposed to be reimbursed (IIRC, Nikos did not claim
reimbursement), so we did spend more than we received for this sprint.

I think we probably need some more structured general accounting, not
only ad-hoc for different events, and not only on the wiki. At least
some spreadsheet listing income and spending. Or does this already exist
somewhere ?

Moritz

[1]
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BgFMiYlLosFjsVUlUCWwssoxiQB_G7gpkVFgG29gZBM/edit#gid=607358029

Re: GRASS GIS Budget 2019 - draft

Martin Landa
Hi,

pá 4. 1. 2019 v 16:25 odesílatel Moritz Lennert
<[hidden email]> napsal:
> As the 1592.85€ were not put onto the current bank account, I suppose
> that they have been spent completely, but I don't know. Where was this
> money located "physically", only in Martin's bank account, or is there
> some money somewhere else, maybe in the US ?

money have been located at my Fio bank account and my PayPal account.
Fio bank account has been canceled and my PayPal account is currently
on zero.

> The current bank account's only income were 2000€ Euro apparently
> received from OSGeo. In the Sprint 2018 account's [1] I see that a bit
> over 2700€ were supposed to be reimbursed (IIRC, Nikos did not claim
> reimbursement), so we did spend more than we received for this sprint.

Based on [1] and [2,3]:

 3630.74 -  3063.28 = 567.46

Or I am wrong?

> I think we probably need some more structured general accounting, not
> only ad-hoc for different events, and not only on the wiki. At least

I completely agree.

> some spreadsheet listing income and spending. Or does this already exist
> somewhere ?

Unfortunately not. Martin

[1] https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Budget_2018#Income
[2] https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Budget_2018#Expenses
[3] https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BgFMiYlLosFjsVUlUCWwssoxiQB_G7gpkVFgG29gZBM/edit#gid=607358029

--
Martin Landa
http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa

On 4/01/19 17:22, Martin Landa wrote:

> Hi,
>
> pá 4. 1. 2019 v 16:25 odesílatel Moritz Lennert
> <[hidden email]> napsal:
>> As the 1592.85€ were not put onto the current bank account, I suppose
>> that they have been spent completely, but I don't know. Where was this
>> money located "physically", only in Martin's bank account, or is there
>> some money somewhere else, maybe in the US ?
>
> money have been located at my Fio bank account and my PayPal account.
> Fio bank account has been canceled and my PayPal account is currently
> on zero.
>
>> The current bank account's only income were 2000€ Euro apparently
>> received from OSGeo. In the Sprint 2018 account's [1] I see that a bit
>> over 2700€ were supposed to be reimbursed (IIRC, Nikos did not claim
>> reimbursement), so we did spend more than we received for this sprint.
>
> Based on [1] and [2,3]:
>
>   3630.74 -  3063.28 = 567.46
>
> Or I am wrong?

Well, I don't think the actual amount spent for travel grants was
2957.28€, as IIRC, Nikos never claimed his 225.00€, so total expenses
would be 2838.28€, and so we should have

3630.74€ - 2838.28€ = 792,46€

left. On the bank account we have 887,46€, so either some reimbursements
still need to happen (but I'm not aware of any), or there is some error
in the calculations somewhere.

>> I think we probably need some more structured general accounting, not
>> only ad-hoc for different events, and not only on the wiki. At least
>
> I completely agree.

I would suggest something very simple such as:

https://lite.framacalc.org/rtaam2nzg3

where we just note all income as positive and expenditures as negative
numbers to get automatic balance.

Moritz

Re: GRASS GIS Budget 2019 - draft

Martin Landa
Hi,

pá 4. 1. 2019 v 17:51 odesílatel Moritz Lennert
<[hidden email]> napsal:
> Well, I don't think the actual amount spent for travel grants was
> 2957.28€, as IIRC, Nikos never claimed his 225.00€, so total expenses
> would be 2838.28€, and so we should have

you are right (about Nikos), so 2957.28 - 225 -> 2732.28 (wiki updated)

> 3630.74€ - 2838.28€ = 792,46€

3630.74 -  2732.28  - 106 -> 792.46

double checked :-)

> left. On the bank account we have 887,46€, so either some reimbursements
> still need to happen (but I'm not aware of any), or there is some error
> in the calculations somewhere.

yes, but better than negative balance. Let's keep it as donation from
"unknown error".

> I would suggest something very simple such as:
>
> https://lite.framacalc.org/rtaam2nzg3
>
> where we just note all income as positive and expenditures as negative
> numbers to get automatic balance.

Nice :-) Martin

On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 6:06 PM Martin Landa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> pá 4. 1. 2019 v 17:51 odesílatel Moritz Lennert <[hidden email]> napsal:
> > Well, I don't think the actual amount spent for travel grants was
> > 2957.28€, as IIRC, Nikos never claimed his 225.00€, so total expenses
> > would be 2838.28€, and so we should have
>
> you are right (about Nikos), so 2957.28 - 225 -> 2732.28 (wiki updated)
>
> > 3630.74€ - 2838.28€ = 792,46€
>
> 3630.74 -  2732.28  - 106 -> 792.46
>
> double checked :-)
>
> > left. On the bank account we have 887,46€, so either some reimbursements
> > still need to happen (but I'm not aware of any), or there is some error
> > in the calculations somewhere.
>
> yes, but better than negative balance. Let's keep it as donation from
> "unknown error".

Might that be some USD <--> EUR confusion?

> > I would suggest something very simple such as:
> >
> > https://lite.framacalc.org/rtaam2nzg3
> >
> > where we just note all income as positive and expenditures as negative
> > numbers to get automatic balance.
>
> Nice :-) Martin

Looks nice but how to protect from random vandalism?

Markus

Re: GRASS GIS Budget 2019 - draft

Markus Neteler
(I have taken liberty to re-copy your answer into the original thread
- @vero: through enabling "mime digest" in your list settings you
should get the emails in a better way)

On Sat, Jan 5, 2019 at 4:36 PM Veronica Andreo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> [...]
>>
>> Well, I don't think the actual amount spent for travel grants was
>>
>> 2957.28€, as IIRC, Nikos never claimed his 225.00€, so total expenses
>> would be 2838.28€, and so we should have
>>
>> 3630.74€ - 2838.28€ = 792,46€
>>
>> left. On the bank account we have 887,46€, so either some reimbursements
>> still need to happen (but I'm not aware of any), or there is some error
>> in the calculations somewhere.
>

> I was not reimbursed either, but instead donated that for beers next time :)
> (IIRC, was something like 90 euros or so from train tickets)

Thanks - we should keep track of that as well!

> [...]
> When can we submit/apply for the 2019 budget then?? I really wish to see a new GRASS website this year! :)

I think we can apply any time by proposing a structured budget.

Markus

Re: GRASS GIS Budget 2019 - draft

Helena Mitasova-7
The request for project budget from the board will be sent out to the projects within a day or two,
so let us wait and then we can submit our request. The wiki is ready

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2019

there are just few things discussed regarding the wording of the request from the board.
In terms of the request for the website update - that will indeed go quite above what the projects usually ask for
so it will have a better chance to be approved if we include some fundraising effort looking for sponsors
on our side.

Helena

> On Jan 6, 2019, at 6:19 AM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> (I have taken liberty to re-copy your answer into the original thread
> - @vero: through enabling "mime digest" in your list settings you
> should get the emails in a better way)
>
> On Sat, Jan 5, 2019 at 4:36 PM Veronica Andreo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> [...]
>>>
>>> Well, I don't think the actual amount spent for travel grants was
>>>
>>> 2957.28€, as IIRC, Nikos never claimed his 225.00€, so total expenses
>>> would be 2838.28€, and so we should have
>>>
>>> 3630.74€ - 2838.28€ = 792,46€
>>>
>>> left. On the bank account we have 887,46€, so either some reimbursements
>>> still need to happen (but I'm not aware of any), or there is some error
>>> in the calculations somewhere.
>>

>> I was not reimbursed either, but instead donated that for beers next time :)
>> (IIRC, was something like 90 euros or so from train tickets)
>
> Thanks - we should keep track of that as well!
>
>> [...]
>> When can we submit/apply for the 2019 budget then?? I really wish to see a new GRASS website this year! :)
>
> I think we can apply any time by proposing a structured budget.
>
> Markus

Helena Mitasova
Professor at the Department of Marine,
Earth, and Atmospheric Sciences
Associate director and faculty fellow at the Center for Geospatial Analytics
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-8208

On 6/01/19 12:19, Markus Neteler wrote:

> (I have taken liberty to re-copy your answer into the original thread
> - @vero: through enabling "mime digest" in your list settings you
> should get the emails in a better way)
>
> On Sat, Jan 5, 2019 at 4:36 PM Veronica Andreo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> [...]
>>>
>>> Well, I don't think the actual amount spent for travel grants was
>>>
>>> 2957.28€, as IIRC, Nikos never claimed his 225.00€, so total expenses
>>> would be 2838.28€, and so we should have
>>>
>>> 3630.74€ - 2838.28€ = 792,46€
>>>
>>> left. On the bank account we have 887,46€, so either some reimbursements
>>> still need to happen (but I'm not aware of any), or there is some error
>>> in the calculations somewhere.
>>

>> I was not reimbursed either, but instead donated that for beers next time :)
>> (IIRC, was something like 90 euros or so from train tickets)
>
> Thanks - we should keep track of that as well!

This actually reduces our accounting error to about 5€ (negative now,
i.e. 5 € are not accounted for), which is probably an acceptable error rate.

Moritz

On 5/01/19 15:26, Markus Neteler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 6:06 PM Martin Landa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> pá 4. 1. 2019 v 17:51 odesílatel Moritz Lennert <[hidden email]> napsal:
>>> I would suggest something very simple such as:
>>>
>>> https://lite.framacalc.org/rtaam2nzg3
>>>
>>> where we just note all income as positive and expenditures as negative
>>> numbers to get automatic balance.
>>
>> Nice :-) Martin
>
> Looks nice but how to protect from random vandalism?

Yes, this is only for proof-of-concept. If we want a publicly available,
but read-only spreadsheet we will have to go to a provider offering a
password-protected solution.

The other option would be to see with OSGeo whether the provision of
some only accounting software within the OSGeo infrastructure would be
worth the effort, now that more projects are into the money-raising
business and OSGeo distributes funds to projects systematically. Sounds
like a perfect use-case of shared ressources within an umbrella
organisation to me.

Moritz

Re: GRASS GIS Budget 2019 - draft

Markus Neteler
On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 10:49 AM Moritz Lennert
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5/01/19 15:26, Markus Neteler wrote:

> >> Nice :-) Martin
> >
> > Looks nice but how to protect from random vandalism?
> >

> Yes, this is only for proof-of-concept. If we want a publicly available,
> but read-only spreadsheet we will have to go to a provider offering a
> password-protected solution.

yes, ok.

> The other option would be to see with OSGeo whether the provision of
> some only accounting software within the OSGeo infrastructure would be
> worth the effort, now that more projects are into the money-raising
> business and OSGeo distributes funds to projects systematically. Sounds
> like a perfect use-case of shared ressources within an umbrella
> organisation to me.

OSGeo-SAC has recently setup
https://nextcloud.osgeo.org/

which would be an ideal place to maintain the budget.
I could suggest to add the Collabora extention
(https://nextcloud.com/collaboraonline/) for shared document editing,
then we would be settled.

FYI - https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/2236

On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 7:39 AM Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 11:29 AM Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > OSGeo-SAC has recently setup
> > https://nextcloud.osgeo.org/
> >
> > which would be an ideal place to maintain the budget.
> > I could suggest to add the Collabora extention
> > (https://nextcloud.com/collaboraonline/) for shared document editing,
> > then we would be settled.
>
> FYI - https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/2236

Done: our nextcloud space is up and running. All PSC members should
now have received an invitation email.
The login credentials are the usual OSGeo LDAP credentials.

It seems that also "Nextcloud Collabora" is installed (didn't try that yet).

cheers,

On 8/01/19 22:35, Markus Neteler wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 7:39 AM Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 11:29 AM Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> OSGeo-SAC has recently setup
>>> https://nextcloud.osgeo.org/
>>>
>>> which would be an ideal place to maintain the budget.
>>> I could suggest to add the Collabora extention
>>> (https://nextcloud.com/collaboraonline/) for shared document editing,
>>> then we would be settled.
>>
>> FYI - https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/2236
>
> Done: our nextcloud space is up and running. All PSC members should
> now have received an invitation email.
> The login credentials are the usual OSGeo LDAP credentials.
>
> It seems that also "Nextcloud Collabora" is installed (didn't try that yet).

Great, thanks a lot !

However, I don't see an invitation mail.

Moritz

Re: GRASS GIS Budget 2019 - draft

margherita

On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 10:35 PM Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 7:39 AM Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 11:29 AM Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > OSGeo-SAC has recently setup
> > https://nextcloud.osgeo.org/
> >
> > which would be an ideal place to maintain the budget.
> > I could suggest to add the Collabora extention
> > (https://nextcloud.com/collaboraonline/) for shared document editing,
> > then we would be settled.
>
> FYI - https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/2236

Done: our nextcloud space is up and running. All PSC members should
now have received an invitation email.
The login credentials are the usual OSGeo LDAP credentials.

It seems that also "Nextcloud Collabora" is installed (didn't try that yet).

Cool! Thanks a lot Markus. Any plans of using also the calendar and other tools available (announcement etc) for optimizing PSC work, for example deadline to define budget, release planning, community sprints ant other milestones?

Margherita Di Leo

Re: GRASS GIS Budget 2019 - draft

Markus Neteler
On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 9:58 AM Moritz Lennert
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 8/01/19 22:35, Markus Neteler wrote:
> Great, thanks a lot !
>
> However, I don't see an invitation mail.

I have sent it (again? sorry if I have missed it before).

Markus
12