GRASS 7 wish: Keyword index

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

GRASS 7 wish: Keyword index

Markus Neteler
Hi,

similar to the "topics" index:
http://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/topics.html

I would like to see a "Keywords" index in GRASS 7 which lists *all*
keywords alphabetically along with the related modules, like (with
clickable links of course):

http://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/keywords.html
aggregation: r.reclass.area, v.neighbors
allocation: v.net.alloc
area: r.surf.area, v.centroids, v.dissolve
...
random: r.random, v.random, v.sample
...

Perhaps this could be "easily" derived from the man/build_topics.py script?

Markus
_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GRASS 7 wish: Keyword index

Luca Delucchi


Il giorno 07/mar/2013 11:28, "Markus Neteler" <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>
> Hi,
>

Hi

> similar to the "topics" index:
> http://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/topics.html
>
> I would like to see a "Keywords" index in GRASS 7 which lists *all*
> keywords alphabetically along with the related modules, like (with
> clickable links of course):
>
> http://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/keywords.html
> aggregation: r.reclass.area, v.neighbors
> allocation: v.net.alloc
> area: r.surf.area, v.centroids, v.dissolve
> ...
> random: r.random, v.random, v.sample
> ...
>
> Perhaps this could be "easily" derived from the man/build_topics.py script?
>

I'll look this wish next days...

> Markus

Ciao
Luca


_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GRASS 7 wish: Keyword index

Luca Delucchi
In reply to this post by Markus Neteler
2013/3/7 Markus Neteler <[hidden email]>:
> Hi,
>

Hi Markus,

> similar to the "topics" index:
> http://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/topics.html
>
> I would like to see a "Keywords" index in GRASS 7 which lists *all*
> keywords alphabetically along with the related modules, like (with
> clickable links of course):
>

what should be the difference with topics?

build_topics.py already look for "Keywords"....

>
> Markus


--
ciao
Luca

http://gis.cri.fmach.it/delucchi/
www.lucadelu.org
_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GRASS 7 wish: Keyword index

Markus Neteler
On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 10:05 AM, Luca Delucchi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2013/3/7 Markus Neteler <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi,
>>
>
> Hi Markus,
>
>> similar to the "topics" index:
>> http://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/topics.html
>>
>> I would like to see a "Keywords" index in GRASS 7 which lists *all*
>> keywords alphabetically along with the related modules, like (with
>> clickable links of course):
>>
>
> what should be the difference with topics?

It is completely different.

The resulting 1 page should look like this:

Keywords:
* aggregation: r.reclass.area, v.neighbors
* allocation: v.net.alloc
* area: r.surf.area, v.centroids, v.dissolve
* ...
* random: r.random, v.random, v.sample
* ...
* sampling: d.where, r.random.cells, r.random, t.sample,
t.vect.observe.strds, t.vect.what.strds, v.drape, v.random, v.sample,
v.what.rast3, v.what.rast, v.what.vect
* ...

So, the script needs to scan all modules for their keywords and then
create a page which relates the keywords to module names.
Hope this clarifies the idea. At time we cannot easily look up which
modules offer a certain functionality.

ciao
Markus
_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GRASS 7 wish: Keyword index

hamish-2
Markus wrote:
> So, the script needs to scan all modules for their keywords
> and then create a page which relates the keywords to module
> names.
> Hope this clarifies the idea. At time we cannot easily look
> up which modules offer a certain functionality.

sounds like a job for a sqlite db. (see e.g. tools/sql.sh)
 [please can we rename "sql.sh" to something more informative?]


for tools/module_synopsis.sh what I did is try a clean build with
all options turned on, then run though the bin/ and scripts/ dirs
and run --interface-description on everything.
 http://grassold.osgeo.org/gdp/grassmanuals/grass64_module_list.html#db

another way is to cd into doc/html/ and parse all the files there.
(html is a marked-up format at its root, doesn't hurt to use that)


Hamish
_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GRASS 7 wish: Keyword index

Luca Delucchi
In reply to this post by Markus Neteler
2013/3/8 Markus Neteler <[hidden email]>:

>
> It is completely different.
>
> The resulting 1 page should look like this:
>
> Keywords:
> * aggregation: r.reclass.area, v.neighbors
> * allocation: v.net.alloc
> * area: r.surf.area, v.centroids, v.dissolve
> * ...
> * random: r.random, v.random, v.sample
> * ...
> * sampling: d.where, r.random.cells, r.random, t.sample,
> t.vect.observe.strds, t.vect.what.strds, v.drape, v.random, v.sample,
> v.what.rast3, v.what.rast, v.what.vect
> * ...
>
> So, the script needs to scan all modules for their keywords and then
> create a page which relates the keywords to module names.
> Hope this clarifies the idea. At time we cannot easily look up which
> modules offer a certain functionality.
>

I just upload (r55313) the new script (build_keywors.py) to create the
page. This page (keywords.html) actually is not linked in any pages of
documentation but you can see it with the direct link (you can also
find it in (dist.*/docs/html/keywords.html)
At this point I think we should replace topics.html page with this
new, what do you think?

> ciao
> Markus

--
ciao
Luca

http://gis.cri.fmach.it/delucchi/
www.lucadelu.org
_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GRASS 7 wish: Keyword index

Markus Neteler
On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 1:54 PM, Luca Delucchi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2013/3/8 Markus Neteler <[hidden email]>:
..
>> The resulting 1 page should look like this:
>>
>> Keywords:
...
Great job!

I made a few minor cosmetics and uploaded the current file here:

http://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/keywords.html

> At this point I think we should replace topics.html page with this
> new, what do you think?

Maybe, maybe not.. the scope is a bit different.
What do the others think?

Markus
_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GRASS 7 wish: Keyword index

Martin Landa
Hi,

2013/3/11 Markus Neteler <[hidden email]>:

[...]

>> At this point I think we should replace topics.html page with this
>> new, what do you think?
>
> Maybe, maybe not.. the scope is a bit different.
> What do the others think?

I would keep both. Martin

--
Martin Landa <landa.martin gmail.com> * http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/~landa
_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GRASS 7 wish: Keyword index

Markus Neteler
In reply to this post by Markus Neteler
On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 5:44 PM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/keywords.html

Thanks to Luca now also in alphabetical order.

@devs: a nice occasion to revisit some keywords (spelling, consistency).

Markus
_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GRASS 7 wish: Keyword index

Moritz Lennert
In reply to this post by Markus Neteler
On 11/03/13 17:44, Markus Neteler wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 1:54 PM, Luca Delucchi<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> 2013/3/8 Markus Neteler<[hidden email]>:
> ..
>>> The resulting 1 page should look like this:
>>>
>>> Keywords:
> ...
> Great job!
>
> I made a few minor cosmetics and uploaded the current file here:
>
> http://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/keywords.html
>
>> At this point I think we should replace topics.html page with this
>> new, what do you think?
>
> Maybe, maybe not.. the scope is a bit different.
> What do the others think?

I haven't followed this close enough, but could someone explain the
difference between the two ? And why (as an example) r.kappa should be
in the classification as keyword list and not in the classification as
topic list ?

AFAICS both use the keywords section in the html man pages as source.

Just trying to understand why we would need the two which might confuse
people, especially if the difference is not only presentation, but also
content.

Moritz
_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GRASS 7 wish: Keyword index

Markus Neteler
On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 11:17 AM, Moritz Lennert
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I haven't followed this close enough, but could someone explain the
> difference between the two ?

Just open both :)

http://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/keywords.html
http://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/topics.html

> And why (as an example) r.kappa should be in
> the classification as keyword list and not in the classification as topic
> list ?

1) The raster/vector/... pages depend on the *first* keyword.

2) The topics.html page(s) depends *only* on the second keyword.

3) The new keywords.html shows *all* keywords.

Now it is up to us to repolish the keywords another time...

Markus
_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GRASS 7 wish: Keyword index

ychemin
In reply to this post by Markus Neteler
Neat work...

Thanks guy !


On 12 March 2013 15:07, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 5:44 PM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/keywords.html

Thanks to Luca now also in alphabetical order.

@devs: a nice occasion to revisit some keywords (spelling, consistency).

Markus
_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev



--
Yann Chemin
Researcher@IWMI
Skype/FB: yann.chemin


_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GRASS 7 wish: Keyword index

Moritz Lennert
In reply to this post by Markus Neteler
On 12/03/13 11:21, Markus Neteler wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 11:17 AM, Moritz Lennert
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> I haven't followed this close enough, but could someone explain the
>> difference between the two ?
>
> Just open both :)
>
> http://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/keywords.html
> http://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/topics.html
>
>> And why (as an example) r.kappa should be in
>> the classification as keyword list and not in the classification as topic
>> list ?
>
> 1) The raster/vector/... pages depend on the *first* keyword.
>
> 2) The topics.html page(s) depends *only* on the second keyword.
>
> 3) The new keywords.html shows *all* keywords.

Except for the major (blacklisted) ones such as raster, vector, display,
etc.

So, the main difference is how many keywords are used. I still believe
that one such page should be enough (and more will create confusion),
and I think keywords.html is the way to go (more complete, easy to use).
But if others see a use in topics.html, I won't make a fight of it ;-)

Moritz
_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GRASS 7 wish: Keyword index

wenzeslaus
Thinking about the style of keywords.html page, I discovered that the
h2 and h3 have the same font-size in CSS [1]. Is it an intention?

And about the style itself. I would suggest to use description (dl)
instead of bullet list. The change in code is small but I don't want
to do it without asking others.

[1] http://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/grassdocs.css

On 12 March 2013 11:43, Moritz Lennert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/03/13 11:21, Markus Neteler wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 11:17 AM, Moritz Lennert
>> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I haven't followed this close enough, but could someone explain the
>>> difference between the two ?
>>
>>
>> Just open both :)
>>
>> http://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/keywords.html
>> http://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/topics.html
>>
>>> And why (as an example) r.kappa should be in
>>> the classification as keyword list and not in the classification as topic
>>> list ?
>>
>>
>> 1) The raster/vector/... pages depend on the *first* keyword.
>>
>> 2) The topics.html page(s) depends *only* on the second keyword.
>>
>> 3) The new keywords.html shows *all* keywords.
>
>
> Except for the major (blacklisted) ones such as raster, vector, display,
> etc.
>
> So, the main difference is how many keywords are used. I still believe that
> one such page should be enough (and more will create confusion), and I think
> keywords.html is the way to go (more complete, easy to use). But if others
> see a use in topics.html, I won't make a fight of it ;-)
>
> Moritz
>
> _______________________________________________
> grass-dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GRASS 7 wish: Keyword index

Markus Neteler
On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 6:58 PM, Vaclav Petras <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thinking about the style of keywords.html page, I discovered that the
> h2 and h3 have the same font-size in CSS [1]. Is it an intention?

I darkly remember that a font smaller than "medium" (used for h4) seems
to be too small, so h3 and h4 were made the same.
Suggestions are welcome.

> And about the style itself. I would suggest to use description (dl)
> instead of bullet list. The change in code is small but I don't want
> to do it without asking others.

Can you give an example of improvement?

> [1] http://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/grassdocs.css

Markus
_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GRASS 7 wish: Keyword index

wenzeslaus
On 12 March 2013 19:45, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 6:58 PM, Vaclav Petras <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thinking about the style of keywords.html page, I discovered that the
>> h2 and h3 have the same font-size in CSS [1]. Is it an intention?
>
> I darkly remember that a font smaller than "medium" (used for h4) seems
> to be too small, so h3 and h4 were made the same.
> Suggestions are welcome.
>
Hm, for me after deleting font-size setting the page looks good. h2 is
bigger than now, h3 is the same as h2 and h3 now. h2 on module page
are uppercased, so they may look bit more important by itself. This
was maybe the reason for setting the same sizes. I tried to set sizes
and get the same result (same sizes). I'm not satisfied but I don't
know what to do.

>> And about the style itself. I would suggest to use description (dl)
>> instead of bullet list. The change in code is small but I don't want
>> to do it without asking others.
>
> Can you give an example of improvement?
>
It would be the same as the Flags section at module page (the flag
description is <dl>). It would be cleaner than the current state -- no
bullets, no double colons. The keyword would be bold (<b>) on separate
line and the list of modules would be on the other line.

>> [1] http://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/grassdocs.css
>
> Markus
_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GRASS 7 wish: Keyword index

Markus Neteler
On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 8:34 PM, Vaclav Petras <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12 March 2013 19:45, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 6:58 PM, Vaclav Petras <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Thinking about the style of keywords.html page, I discovered that the
>>> h2 and h3 have the same font-size in CSS [1]. Is it an intention?
>>
>> I darkly remember that a font smaller than "medium" (used for h4) seems
>> to be too small, so h3 and h4 were made the same.
>> Suggestions are welcome.
>>
> Hm, for me after deleting font-size setting the page looks good. h2 is
> bigger than now, h3 is the same as h2 and h3 now. h2 on module page
> are uppercased, so they may look bit more important by itself. This
> was maybe the reason for setting the same sizes. I tried to set sizes
> and get the same result (same sizes). I'm not satisfied but I don't
> know what to do.

@all:
For fun I have deleted the size definitions on the server. You can
reload the manual to see the effect as suggested by Vaclav.

Next Saturday it will be overwritten unless changes are committed
to SVN.

>>> And about the style itself. I would suggest to use description (dl)
>>> instead of bullet list. The change in code is small but I don't want
>>> to do it without asking others.
>>
>> Can you give an example of improvement?
>>
> It would be the same as the Flags section at module page (the flag
> description is <dl>). It would be cleaner than the current state -- no
> bullets, no double colons. The keyword would be bold (<b>) on separate
> line and the list of modules would be on the other line.

Sounds good to me.

Perhaps, to not mess up the other pages, have some special
keywords style? Could also go into the page header itself.

Markus
_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GRASS 7 wish: Keyword index

Anna Petrášová
On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 8:49 PM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 8:34 PM, Vaclav Petras <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 12 March 2013 19:45, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 6:58 PM, Vaclav Petras <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>> Thinking about the style of keywords.html page, I discovered that the
>>>> h2 and h3 have the same font-size in CSS [1]. Is it an intention?
>>>
>>> I darkly remember that a font smaller than "medium" (used for h4) seems
>>> to be too small, so h3 and h4 were made the same.
>>> Suggestions are welcome.
>>>
>> Hm, for me after deleting font-size setting the page looks good. h2 is
>> bigger than now, h3 is the same as h2 and h3 now. h2 on module page
>> are uppercased, so they may look bit more important by itself. This
>> was maybe the reason for setting the same sizes. I tried to set sizes
>> and get the same result (same sizes). I'm not satisfied but I don't
>> know what to do.
>
> @all:
> For fun I have deleted the size definitions on the server. You can
> reload the manual to see the effect as suggested by Vaclav.
>
> Next Saturday it will be overwritten unless changes are committed
> to SVN.
>
>>>> And about the style itself. I would suggest to use description (dl)
>>>> instead of bullet list. The change in code is small but I don't want
>>>> to do it without asking others.
>>>
>>> Can you give an example of improvement?
>>>
>> It would be the same as the Flags section at module page (the flag
>> description is <dl>). It would be cleaner than the current state -- no
>> bullets, no double colons. The keyword would be bold (<b>) on separate
>> line and the list of modules would be on the other line.
>
> Sounds good to me.

Done in r55341. Feel free to revert or change.

>
> Perhaps, to not mess up the other pages, have some special
> keywords style? Could also go into the page header itself.

Probably no special style is needed.

Anna

>
> Markus
> _______________________________________________
> grass-dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GRASS 7 wish: Keyword index

Markus Neteler
On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 10:52 PM, Anna Kratochvílová
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 8:49 PM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 8:34 PM, Vaclav Petras <[hidden email]> wrote:
...
>>> It would be the same as the Flags section at module page (the flag
>>> description is <dl>). It would be cleaner than the current state -- no
>>> bullets, no double colons. The keyword would be bold (<b>) on separate
>>> line and the list of modules would be on the other line.
>>
>> Sounds good to me.
>
> Done in r55341. Feel free to revert or change.

very nice indeed!
http://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/keywords.html

Markus
_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GRASS 7 wish: Keyword index

ychemin
+1

On 13 March 2013 03:32, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 10:52 PM, Anna Kratochvílová
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 8:49 PM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 8:34 PM, Vaclav Petras <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ...
>>>> It would be the same as the Flags section at module page (the flag
>>>> description is <dl>). It would be cleaner than the current state -- no
>>>> bullets, no double colons. The keyword would be bold (<b>) on separate
>>>> line and the list of modules would be on the other line.
>>>
>>> Sounds good to me.
>>
>> Done in r55341. Feel free to revert or change.
>
> very nice indeed!
> http://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/keywords.html
>
> Markus
> _______________________________________________
> grass-dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev



--
Yann Chemin
Researcher@IWMI
Skype/FB: yann.chemin
_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev