GRASS 7 planning

Markus Neteler
Hi,

since 6.3.0X is almost settled (remaining bugs can be worked out later
in 6.4.x)
I would propose to

- now release 6.3.0
- branch off 6.4.x (where wxgrass and some other development may continue)
- rename trunk to GRASS 7.0.svn, do heavy renovation there

We have so many outstanding massive changes to do that we should
not wait any longer.

See also
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Grass7Planning

Objections?

Markus

Re: GRASS 7 planning

hamish-2
Markus Neteler wrote:
> since 6.3.0X is almost settled (remaining bugs can be worked out
> later in 6.4.x)

Only six more active tickets! Last chance for everyone to have a look.
  http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/roadmap

> I would propose to
>
> - now release 6.3.0

draft release announcement here:
  http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Release/6.3.0-News
 (still needs heavy editing; anyone with a osgeo ID can help)

> - branch off 6.4.x (where wxgrass and some other development may
> continue)
> - rename trunk to GRASS 7.0.svn, do heavy renovation there
>
> We have so many outstanding massive changes to do that we should
> not wait any longer.
>
> See also
> http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Grass7Planning
>
> Objections?

/me: go go go.

Hamish

Re: GRASS 7 planning

Michael Barton
Markus,

I just fixed a small, but fatal problem with the wxgui georectifier.
 From my perspective the TclTk GUI seems fine. Using wingrass in my
class has exposed some issues that have all been fixed except for one
with v.in.ascii (and possibly other modules using dbmi). The latter
seems to be restricted to cases of attempting to import poorly
formated data files (different numbers of fields in different
records). It sounds difficult to fix and may not be worth the effort
for 6.3.0.

I'd say go ahead and release 6.3.0

My vote is +1
...meaning that I will help with whatever is needed to get this out
the door.

Michael
____________________
Director of Graduate Studies
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

Phone: 480-965-6262
Fax: 480-965-7671
www: <www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton>

On Feb 8, 2008, at 3:02 PM, Markus Neteler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> since 6.3.0X is almost settled (remaining bugs can be worked out later
> in 6.4.x)
> I would propose to
>
> - now release 6.3.0
> - branch off 6.4.x (where wxgrass and some other development may
> continue)
> - rename trunk to GRASS 7.0.svn, do heavy renovation there
>
> We have so many outstanding massive changes to do that we should
> not wait any longer.
>
> See also
> http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Grass7Planning
>
> Objections?
>
> Markus

Re: GRASS 7 planning

Michael Barton
I'll try to fix the NVIZ bug. It's a nasty one.

Michael
____________________

On Feb 8, 2008, at 4:54 PM, Hamish wrote:

> Markus Neteler wrote:
>> since 6.3.0X is almost settled (remaining bugs can be worked out
>> later in 6.4.x)
>
> Only six more active tickets! Last chance for everyone to have a look.
>   http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/roadmap
>
>> I would propose to
>>
>> - now release 6.3.0
>
> draft release announcement here:
>   http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Release/6.3.0-News
>  (still needs heavy editing; anyone with a osgeo ID can help)
>
>> - branch off 6.4.x (where wxgrass and some other development may
>> continue)
>> - rename trunk to GRASS 7.0.svn, do heavy renovation there
>>
>> We have so many outstanding massive changes to do that we should
>> not wait any longer.
>>
>> See also
>> http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Grass7Planning
>>
>> Objections?
>
> /me: go go go.
>

> Hamish

Re: GRASS 7 planning

Michael Barton

On Feb 8, 2008, at 4:54 PM, Hamish wrote:

> Markus Neteler wrote:
>> since 6.3.0X is almost settled (remaining bugs can be worked out
>> later in 6.4.x)
>
> Only six more active tickets! Last chance for everyone to have a look.
>   http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/roadmap

I fixed the NVIZ bug. Does anyone know the status of the patch Maris
Nartiss attached to the ticket?

Michael

>> I would propose to
>>
>> - now release 6.3.0
>
> draft release announcement here:
>   http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Release/6.3.0-News
>  (still needs heavy editing; anyone with a osgeo ID can help)
>
>> - branch off 6.4.x (where wxgrass and some other development may
>> continue)
>> - rename trunk to GRASS 7.0.svn, do heavy renovation there
>>
>> We have so many outstanding massive changes to do that we should
>> not wait any longer.
>>
>> See also
>> http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Grass7Planning
>>
>> Objections?
>
> /me: go go go.
>

> Hamish

Re: GRASS 7 planning

Michael Barton

On Feb 8, 2008, at 4:54 PM, Hamish wrote:

> Only six more active tickets! Last chance for everyone to have a look.
>   http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/roadmap

I applied Maris' patch. I had to make one small modification, but
otherwise it seems OK.

Michael