GPS importer plugin won't load

Tom Russo-3
I'm trying to run qgis 0.8, built from source from tonight's checkout,
revision 6845.
I started from a completely clean
It builds fine, but when I run it it fails to load the gpsimporter
plugin, giving the following error message:

Failed to load /usr/local/qgis_0.8/lib/qgis/gpsimporterplugin.so
Reason: QLibrary::load_sys: Cannot load
/usr/local/qgis_0.8/lib/qgis/gpsimporterplugin.so
(/usr/local/qgis_0.8/lib/qgis/libgpsimporterplugin.so: cannot open
shared object file: No such file or directory)

(I built the code with a --prefix=/usr/local/qgis_0.8/ to keep it all
segregated,  have put /usr/local/qgis_0.8/lib into my ld.so.conf, and
run ldconfig).  libgpsimporterplugin does not exist in the lib
directory, and a find of libgpsimporterplugin.so in the build
directory comes up with nothing.

here's my autogen.sh command:
./autogen.sh --with-grass=/usr/local/grass-6.3.cvs --with-qtdir=/usr
--prefix=/usr/local/qgis_0.8

And here's what it says:
qgis 0.8.0
GDAL/OGR      : yes (Version 1.4.0)
GEOS          : yes (Version 2.2.1)
PostgreSQL    : yes (Version 8.2.3)
GRASS         : yes
SPIT          : yes
Georeferencer : yes
WFS           : no
GPS/GPX       : yes
PROJ4         : yes
SQLITE3       : yes
Python        : no

CPPFLAGS      :
CXXFLAGS      : -g -O2

Debug         : no
Plugin dir    : /usr/local/qgis_0.8/lib/qgis

The binary will be installed in /usr/local/qgis_0.8/bin

The build is using Qt in /usr
Linking with Qt using -lQtCore -lQt3Support -lQtGui -lQtNetwork
-lQtSvg -lQtCore -lQt3Support -lQtGui -lQtNetwork -lQtXml -lQtSvg
-lQtTest -lQtDesigner
Configure finished, type 'make' to build.

Make shows no errors when compiling the gps plugin.  So what's going on?

--
Tom Russo    KM5VY   SAR502   DM64ux          http://www.swcp.com/~russo/
Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?DDTNM

Re: GPS importer plugin won't load

Gary Sherman-2

I'm surprised you got as far as you did :)
The release branch has been converted to use CMake rather than the
auto* tools.

See http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/Building_with_CMake for information
on building
the release branch and unstable.

The official 0.8 release does use auto*.

- -gary

On Mar 30, 2007, at 7:46 PM, Tom Russo wrote:

> I'm trying to run qgis 0.8, built from source from tonight's checkout,
> revision 6845.
> I started from a completely clean
> It builds fine, but when I run it it fails to load the gpsimporter
> plugin, giving the following error message:
>

> Failed to load /usr/local/qgis_0.8/lib/qgis/gpsimporterplugin.so
> Reason: QLibrary::load_sys: Cannot load
> /usr/local/qgis_0.8/lib/qgis/gpsimporterplugin.so
> (/usr/local/qgis_0.8/lib/qgis/libgpsimporterplugin.so: cannot open
> shared object file: No such file or directory)
>

> (I built the code with a --prefix=/usr/local/qgis_0.8/ to keep it all
> segregated,  have put /usr/local/qgis_0.8/lib into my ld.so.conf, and
> run ldconfig).  libgpsimporterplugin does not exist in the lib
> directory, and a find of libgpsimporterplugin.so in the build
> directory comes up with nothing.
>
> here's my autogen.sh command:
> ./autogen.sh --with-grass=/usr/local/grass-6.3.cvs --with-qtdir=/usr
> --prefix=/usr/local/qgis_0.8
>
> And here's what it says:
> qgis 0.8.0
> GDAL/OGR      : yes (Version 1.4.0)
> GEOS          : yes (Version 2.2.1)
> PostgreSQL    : yes (Version 8.2.3)
> GRASS         : yes
> SPIT          : yes
> Georeferencer : yes
> WFS           : no
> GPS/GPX       : yes
> PROJ4         : yes
> SQLITE3       : yes
> Python        : no
>
> CPPFLAGS      :
> CXXFLAGS      : -g -O2
>
> Debug         : no
> Plugin dir    : /usr/local/qgis_0.8/lib/qgis
>
> The binary will be installed in /usr/local/qgis_0.8/bin
>
> The build is using Qt in /usr
> Linking with Qt using -lQtCore -lQt3Support -lQtGui -lQtNetwork
> -lQtSvg -lQtCore -lQt3Support -lQtGui -lQtNetwork -lQtXml -lQtSvg
> -lQtTest -lQtDesigner
> Configure finished, type 'make' to build.
>

> Make shows no errors when compiling the gps plugin.  So what's
> going on?
>
> --
> Tom Russo    KM5VY   SAR502   DM64ux          http://www.swcp.com/
> ~russo/
> Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?
> DDTNM
> "And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all
> you get is
> one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh,
> oooh,
> oooh, the sky is the limit!"  --- The Tick

- -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
Gary Sherman
Micro Resources: http://mrcc.com
   *Geospatial Hosting
   *Web Site Hosting
"We work virtually everywhere"
- -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Re: GPS importer plugin won't load

Tom Russo-3
My checkout has no CMakeLists.txt file, and cmake doesn't work there.
I'm guessing I have checked out the official 0.8.0 release, which I
got by using the URL
https://svn.qgis.org/repos/qgis/tags/Release-0_8_0

I'm having a hard time figuring out what URL to use to get to the 0.8
branch beyond the release, and the qgis website is down for
maintenance at the moment.

On Mar 30, 2007, at 8:25 PM, Tom Russo wrote:

> My checkout has no CMakeLists.txt file, and cmake doesn't work there.
> I'm guessing I have checked out the official 0.8.0 release, which I
> got by using the URL
> https://svn.qgis.org/repos/qgis/tags/Release-0_8_0

That is the 0.8 release and uses auto* for building.

> I'm having a hard time figuring out what URL to use to get to the 0.8
> branch beyond the release, and the qgis website is down for
> maintenance at the moment.

The 0.8 maintenance branch is available from: https://svn.qgis.org/
repos/qgis/branches/Release-0_8_0
It requires CMake.

- -gary

> [...]
>> > oooh,
>> > oooh, the sky is the limit!"  --- The Tick
>>
>> - -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
>> Gary Sherman
>> Micro Resources: http://mrcc.com
>>    *Geospatial Hosting
>>    *Web Site Hosting
>> "We work virtually everywhere"
>> - -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

> --
> Tom Russo    KM5VY   SAR502   DM64ux          http://www.swcp.com/
> ~russo/
> Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?
> DDTNM
> "And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all
> you get is
> one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh,
> oooh,
> oooh, the sky is the limit!"  --- The Tick

Checking out the maintenance branch for 0.8 and building it with cmake
fixed the problem.  Thanks.