GPS active tracking plugin in qGIS

STEVENS Mike

Dear qGIS users,

I am writing from the Grampians National Park in Victoria, Australia and have recently been put on to your site from a Canadian colleague involved in GIS.

I am wondering if anyone has developed a plugin to allow for live tracking? i.e. Have a GPS connected (either via USB or Bluetooth) and let you track whilst having the software open with various layers?  This would be very handy for real time positioning of monitoring / research plots and ground truthing survey points whilst out in the field.

Advice greatly appreciated on 1. Has it been developed?, 2. Is the plugin available for MacOSx? 3. Where can I download it?

Regards,

Mike Stevens

Program Coordinator (Natural Values Management)

Grampians National Park

PO Box 18, Halls Gap, VIC  3381

phone:  (03) 5361 4004 or 0438 513 269

fax:       (03) 96134775

email:   [hidden email]

For information on Grampians NVM programs visit Grampians Ark (Back in Balance), Brush-tailed Rock-wallaby trial-reintroduction and CVA partnership with mammal monitoring

Re: GPS active tracking plugin in qGIS

pcav
STEVENS Mike ha scritto:
> I am wondering if anyone has developed a plugin to allow for live
> tracking? – i.e. Have a GPS connected (either via USB or Bluetooth) and
> let you track whilst having the software open with various layers?  This
> would be very handy for real time positioning of monitoring / research
> plots and ground truthing survey points whilst out in the field.

Hi Mike.
Such a plugin should be easy and quick to write in python, so I would
suggest you hiring a qgis dev for that.
All the best.
pc
--
Paolo Cavallini, see: * http://www.faunalia.it/pc *

Re: GPS active tracking plugin in qGIS

Martin Dobias
On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 7:47 AM, STEVENS Mike <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am wondering if anyone has developed a plugin to allow for live tracking?
> – i.e. Have a GPS connected (either via USB or Bluetooth) and let you track
> whilst having the software open with various layers?  This would be very
> handy for real time positioning of monitoring / research plots and ground
> truthing survey points whilst out in the field.
>
> Advice greatly appreciated on 1. Has it been developed?, 2. Is the plugin
> available for MacOSx? 3. Where can I download it?

There have been some efforts, but I'm not sure if there's something
around ready to be used. In case you're ready to experiment with code,
these resources might be useful:

- a simple "navigation" plugin I started about two years ago in a
branch of QGIS. Beware, the API and build system has changed quite a
lot from that time so compiling it with recent QGIS sources won't be
painless. I've used gpsd daemon for GPS input
  https://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/browser/branches/Lib_Refactoring-branch/src/plugins/navigation
- a simple navigation application based on QGIS - Quantum Navigator -
but it has only GPS simulator, missing a real GPS input
  http://www.mapserver.sk/~wonder/qnavigator/

Martin