GMT (grd file) > QGIS ?

Roi Granot-3
Hello All,

I'm new to QGIS (and GRASS), so the following question might be
trivial...

I'd like to import simple grd file that I produced using GMT into QGIS.

Does anyone knows how to do that? will it be easier to do that using
a simple xyz file?

Any will be appreciated!

Roi

Re: GMT (grd file) > QGIS ?

Brent Wood
--- Roi Granot <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I'm new to QGIS (and GRASS), so the following question might be
> trivial...
>
> I'd like to import simple grd file that I produced using GMT into QGIS.

Not straightforward. QGIS plots georeferenced images. It does use GDAL to
access raster data & GDAL can access some netCDF grids, so may be able to open
them natively, but I haven't tried this. I must give it a go sometime :-)

What I have done is use GMT to create a postscript image of the grdfile, then
use the GIMP, Imagemagick or ghostscript to generate a raster image, generally
a png file from the postscript, then write an ESRI world file to georeference
this image. It's not that difficult, and can be automated in a shell script
under Linux pretty easily.

QGIS displays the georeferenced images just fine :-)

If you want more detailed info on how to do this, feel free to ask....

This may also be of interest if you want to try using GRASS,
http://169.237.35.250/~dylan/grass_user_group/

> Does anyone knows how to do that? will it be easier to do that using
> a simple xyz file?

You could grd2xyz your gridfile & use the QGIS text plugin to view all the
points. It will give you a basic preview of the data, but will not be anywhere
near as pretty as a GMT generated image.

Cheers,

   Brent Wood

Re: GMT (grd file) > QGIS ?

Hernán De Angelis-2
Hi Roi,

Yes, it is possible because QGIS uses GDAL. If you compiled GDAL with netCDF
support you will be able to read GMT netCDF grids.

Hernán

El Jueves 04 Mayo 2006 19.31, Roi Granot escribió:

> Hello All,
>
> I'm new to QGIS (and GRASS), so the following question might be
> trivial...
>
> I'd like to import simple grd file that I produced using GMT into QGIS.
>
> Does anyone knows how to do that? will it be easier to do that using
> a simple xyz file?
>
> Any will be appreciated!
>
> Roi

Re: GMT (grd file) > QGIS ?

Hernán De Angelis-2
El Jueves 04 Mayo 2006 19.55, Brent Wood escribió:

> Not straightforward. QGIS plots georeferenced images. It does use GDAL to
> access raster data & GDAL can access some netCDF grids, so may be able to
> open them natively, but I haven't tried this. I must give it a go sometime
> :-)

Yes, it works. I do it often.

> What I have done is use GMT to create a postscript image of the grdfile,
> then use the GIMP, Imagemagick or ghostscript to generate a raster image,
> generally a png file from the postscript, then write an ESRI world file to
> georeference this image. It's not that difficult, and can be automated in a
> shell script under Linux pretty easily.

Yes, may be.... but I guess it is much easier to just to install FWTools
(http://fwtools.maptools.org/), use it to open the netCDF grids and then
export to GEOTiff for use in QGIS  ;-)

Cheers

Hernán

Re: GMT (grd file) > QGIS ?

Brent Wood

--- Hernán De Angelis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> El Jueves 04 Mayo 2006 19.55, Brent Wood escribió:
>
> > Not straightforward. QGIS plots georeferenced images. It does use GDAL to
> > access raster data & GDAL can access some netCDF grids, so may be able to
> > open them natively, but I haven't tried this. I must give it a go sometime
> > :-)
>
> Yes, it works. I do it often.

Which version of GMT & GDAL are you using? Last time I looked, GMT type 1
grdfiles were not supported, so you had to save your grdfiles as type 2 (from
memory). That was a while ago though....

> > What I have done is use GMT to create a postscript image of the grdfile,
> > then use the GIMP, Imagemagick or ghostscript to generate a raster image,
> > generally a png file from the postscript, then write an ESRI world file to
> > georeference this image. It's not that difficult, and can be automated in a
> > shell script under Linux pretty easily.
>
> Yes, may be.... but I guess it is much easier to just to install FWTools
> (http://fwtools.maptools.org/), use it to open the netCDF grids and then
> export to GEOTiff for use in QGIS  ;-)

Yep. One of GMT's strengths is it's cartographic capability. My grdfiles are
typically terrain models. I can generate images with contours, etc using GMT,
rather than just the raw grdfiles. It gives much more attractive raster
backgrounds, but is gonna be a bit more work than FWtools & raw grds.

I should look again at FWtools, it does lots of things in the areas I work in,
but I haven't really needed it yet :-)

Cheers,

  Brent

Re: GMT (grd file) > QGIS ?

Hernán De Angelis-2
Hi Brent,

> Which version of GMT & GDAL are you using? Last time I looked, GMT type 1
> grdfiles were not supported, so you had to save your grdfiles as type 2
> (from memory). That was a while ago though....

I am using GMT 4.1.1, netCDF 3.6.1 and GDAL 1.3.1. Everything works smoothly.

> Yep. One of GMT's strengths is it's cartographic capability. My grdfiles
> are typically terrain models. I can generate images with contours, etc
> using GMT, rather than just the raw grdfiles. It gives much more attractive
> raster backgrounds, but is gonna be a bit more work than FWtools & raw
> grds.

I agree with you in that case. GMT contour plots are unparalleled!!! Your
recipe is certainly correct, but I do not believe it is the easiest thing for
a newbie. ;-)

> I should look again at FWtools, it does lots of things in the areas I work
> in, but I haven't really needed it yet :-)

Sure, it is useful, supports a lot of formats and is also fast and easy to
install. Even more, you do not need to suffer the pain of compiling and
installing it.

Good luck!

Hernán

Re: GMT (grd file) > QGIS ?

Brent Wood
Hmmm....

Does a howto decribing the process of plotting a GMT grdfile & displaying in
QGIS belong on the QGIS site or the GMT one?

This animated gif may be of interest, built with ImageMagick/GMT from the
SRTM30+ grid & a list of QGIS user locations....

http://203.97.249.147/anim.gif

(It needs updating, the user list has grown since this was built :-)

Cheers,

  Brent

--- Hernán De Angelis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Brent,
>
> > Which version of GMT & GDAL are you using? Last time I looked, GMT type 1
> > grdfiles were not supported, so you had to save your grdfiles as type 2
> > (from memory). That was a while ago though....
>
> I am using GMT 4.1.1, netCDF 3.6.1 and GDAL 1.3.1. Everything works smoothly.
>

> > Yep. One of GMT's strengths is it's cartographic capability. My grdfiles
> > are typically terrain models. I can generate images with contours, etc
> > using GMT, rather than just the raw grdfiles. It gives much more attractive
> > raster backgrounds, but is gonna be a bit more work than FWtools & raw
> > grds.
>
> I agree with you in that case. GMT contour plots are unparalleled!!! Your
> recipe is certainly correct, but I do not believe it is the easiest thing for
>
> a newbie. ;-)
>
> > I should look again at FWtools, it does lots of things in the areas I work
> > in, but I haven't really needed it yet :-)
>
> Sure, it is useful, supports a lot of formats and is also fast and easy to
> install. Even more, you do not need to suffer the pain of compiling and
> installing it.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Hernán

Re: GMT (grd file) > QGIS ?

Hernán De Angelis-2

> Does a howto decribing the process of plotting a GMT grdfile & displaying
> in QGIS belong on the QGIS site or the GMT one?

Don't know ... is more like the broad grey zone, the one which means a lot of
fun! :-)

> This animated gif may be of interest, built with ImageMagick/GMT from the
> SRTM30+ grid & a list of QGIS user locations....
>
> http://203.97.249.147/anim.gif
>
> (It needs updating, the user list has grown since this was built :-)

Nice!

Cheers

Hernán

> Cheers,
>
>   Brent
>
> --- Hernán De Angelis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Brent,
> >
> > > Which version of GMT & GDAL are you using? Last time I looked, GMT type
> > > 1 grdfiles were not supported, so you had to save your grdfiles as type
> > > 2 (from memory). That was a while ago though....
> >
> > I am using GMT 4.1.1, netCDF 3.6.1 and GDAL 1.3.1. Everything works
> > smoothly.
> >
> > > Yep. One of GMT's strengths is it's cartographic capability. My
> > > grdfiles are typically terrain models. I can generate images with
> > > contours, etc using GMT, rather than just the raw grdfiles. It gives
> > > much more attractive raster backgrounds, but is gonna be a bit more
> > > work than FWtools & raw grds.
> >
> > I agree with you in that case. GMT contour plots are unparalleled!!! Your
> > recipe is certainly correct, but I do not believe it is the easiest thing
> > for
> >
> > a newbie. ;-)
> >
> > > I should look again at FWtools, it does lots of things in the areas I
> > > work in, but I haven't really needed it yet :-)
> >
> > Sure, it is useful, supports a lot of formats and is also fast and easy
> > to install. Even more, you do not need to suffer the pain of compiling
> > and installing it.
> >
> > Good luck!
> >
> > Hernán

logo of QGIS wanted

"Georg Lösel (privat)"
Hi all, where can I get a logo of Qgis in good quality?

I want to use it for a poster at a conference concerning education and GIS.

quick answer would be nice.

thanks

Georg

       Georg Lösel
       Meterstrasse 37
       30169 Hannover

       fon:   ++49 (0) 511 - 80 60 685
       fax:   ++49 (0) 721 - 151 48 39 03
       mobil: ++49 (0) 176 - 233 244 11
       mail:  [hidden email]
       skype: georgloesel

       www.de-schorsch.de
       LongLat: 9,7481; 52,3625
       http://www.de-schorsch.de/public_key_gpg_georgloesel.asc

Re: logo of QGIS wanted

Gary Sherman-2
Georg Lösel wrote:
> Hi all, where can I get a logo of Qgis in good quality?
>
> I want to use it for a poster at a conference concerning education and GIS.
>
> quick answer would be nice.
There is a 833x939 pixel icon at
http://qgis.org/releases/qgis_icon_new_verylarge.png

If you are looking for something else, we may have other options --
please direct your request to the list.

--
-gary

Gary Sherman