GIS Programmer position at the Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University

GIS Programmer position at the Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University

Guan, Wendy

This email is sent to the following lists:

Boston Open Source Geo

[hidden email]

CPGIS

[hidden email]

GIS TA Boston

[hidden email]

HIGHERED-L

[hidden email]

NEARC

[hidden email]

UCGIS

Title: Application Developer/Programmer

Term: 1 year, potential renewal; flexible work schedule 10-25 hours/week

The Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University is developing a mobile application that will: a) serve a range of relevant spatial and biological data for plants in the living collection, and b) act as a platform for citizen science observations.

A demonstration of the application's functionality is visible at:

http://labs.arboretum.harvard.edu/treemap/ .

We expect the production application to use the GoogleMaps javascript API as its primary framework with spatial and other content provided by AJAX calls to a data server that the application programmer will co-develop with Arboretum informatics staff. We are also utilizing an ESRI ArcGIS framework which may act as the primary framework.

We are therefore looking for demonstrated, high-level familiarity with HTML5 mobile application development in general and HTML5+CSS, Javascript, AJAX, and GoogleMaps API specifically.

For server-side processing, we require demonstrated skills in UNIX shell-scripting, perl and SQL.

An interest in Biology/Nature will be helpful, and good communication skills are necessary: the application programmer will work closely with Arboretum scientists, particularly with the developer of the demonstration app above.  Success in this role will generate additional opportunities for additional work and funding.

Degree Requirement: minimal: undergraduate degree candidate or higher in CS, or graduate student in CS

Preferred: Bachelor’s degree in CS with 3-5 years’ experience in GIS programming or higher

Contact:

George E. Morris, Director

Information Technology

Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University