GEOS 3.7.0 release in 2 weeks

Regina Obe
I'm planning to do a GEOS 3.7.0 release in 2 weeks time so that PostGIS
2.4.0 users can comfortably compile against GEOS 3.7.0 and have the new
functionality that relies on it exposed.
I've already discussed with Sandro and he was okay with that if I'm willing
to do the work to make it happen.

Let me know if anyone has issue with that or if they really want an RC
first.

I've still got a couple more tickets to push to GEOS 3.8 milestone.

Thanks,
Regina Obe
GEOS PSC member

Re: GEOS 3.7.0 release in 2 weeks

Greg Troxel-2

"Regina Obe" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Let me know if anyone has issue with that or if they really want an RC
> first.

From the packaging viewpoint, I'd like an RC (which preferably unpacks
to the same pathname as the file, so that one can just change the
version in the packaging file and build it, but of course I can hack
around non-standard behavior).  I suspect other people that package can
pre-stage an update and try it, running tests, etc., and this may smoke
out some issues.

(I haven't been paying attention, but I had no idea a 3.7 was imminent.
Just a random comment; there's no reason me being surprised matters.)

Re: GEOS 3.7.0 release in 2 weeks

Regina Obe

> "Regina Obe" <[hidden email]> writes:

>>  Let me know if anyone has issue with that or if they really want an RC
>>  first.

> From the packaging viewpoint, I'd like an RC (which preferably unpacks to
the same pathname as the file, so that one can just change the version in
the packaging file and build it, but of course I can hack around
non-standard > behavior).  I suspect other people that package can pre-stage
an update and try it, running tests, etc., and this may smoke out some
issues.

> (I haven't been paying attention, but I had no idea a 3.7 was imminent.
>  Just a random comment; there's no reason me being surprised matters.)

Yah it's a little rushed because we have a function in PostGIS 2.4.0 that
relies on GEOS 3.7 -- this one

https://postgis.net/docs/manual-dev/ST_FrechetDistance.html

and though you can compile PostGIS 2.4.0 with 3.4 or higher, I did have to
put in a warning something to the effect:

"If you are compiling with GEOS < 3.7you are not getting the full PostGIS
functionality."

It seems almost silly to say that if GEOS 3.7.0 is not out yet.

Okay I'll release an RC before final.  Not sure how much I can fuss with
internal packaging since I'm planning to just use the make dist which I
think will end up putting it out as -RC.

Thanks,
Regina

Re: GEOS 3.7.0 release in 2 weeks

Roger Bivand
If this is just a patch release, do not do 3.7.0. If it is a major release,
please respect the downstream developers and do a proper release with alpha,
beta and RCs, to give us a reasonable chance to check whether any other
changes don't break our stuff. Just because you need new functionality
doesn't mean that you can force everybody else's schedules, does it?

For sf and rgeos R package developers with very many users.

Roger Bivand

-----
Roger Bivand
NHH Norwegian School of Economics, Bergen, Norway
--
Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/GEOS-Developers-f3753501.html
Roger Bivand
NHH Norwegian School of Economics, Bergen, Norway

Re: GEOS 3.7.0 release in 2 weeks

Regina Obe
Roger,

I believe most of the changes in GEOS 3.7.0 are bug fixes too involved to backport to GEOS 3.6.  There are some new features but not all that many.

If I were to release an alpha, I think it would be setting a precedent since I don't think an alpha has ever been released for GEOS.  At best we've done rc1, rc2 etc.

I'm willing to set a precedent by releasing a beta this time (perhaps this weekend when I release PostGIS beta1)  if people feel they will test it.

Given that most packages are still at GEOS 3.5 or lower, I'm thinking it would be more effort packaging than the gain we would get people testing it.

Thanks,
Regina

Re: GEOS 3.7.0 release in 2 weeks

Regina Obe
Just confirmed with Sandro.  Just two functions added and a lot of bug fixes that were also present in 3.6.0 and 3.5.1.
He needs to make another change so I'm going to wait another week before releasing a beta or RC.

Now for GEOS 3.8 I think we'll probably want an alpha since I think Mateusz wants to do some major refactoring and up the required GCC to 4.8.

We might want to even consider calling the next version GEOS 4.0  just for that.

Mat -- thoughts?

Thanks,
Regina

Re: GEOS 3.7.0 release in 2 weeks

Mateusz Loskot
On 1 September 2017 at 17:31, Regina Obe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Now for GEOS 3.8 I think we'll probably want an alpha since
> I think Mateusz wants to do some major refactoring and up the required GCC to 4.8.

GEOS has accepted to require C++11 [1] as minimum C++ standard.
It means, we are free to use C++11 features in the codebase;
replace deprecated std::auto_ptr with std::unique_ptr and std::shared_ptr, etc.

Although RFC 5 opens the road to C++ modernization,
I don't plan any big refactoring though
If things change, they will change gradually.

[1] https://trac.osgeo.org/geos/wiki/RFC5