Fwd: request for initial funding

dirkf
Dear board,

I changed my OSGeo email adres in [hidden email].
That is the reason that my previous mail (in attachement) was rejected.
Please accept this attachement as my formal request.

Best regards,
Dirk.

As you know, OSGeo Europe is now an official registered as a non for
profit organisation.
The coordinates are the following:

OPEN SOURCE GEOSPATIAL - EUROPE
OSGeo - Europe
Bank account:
BIC ARSPBE22
BE47 9731 8951 3580

organisation nr:BE 0689915666
Date of birth: 20-07-2017

With this bank-account we can transfer money to any other European bank
account free of charge. This can be interesting to exchange OSGeo money
between the different local chapters in the European union.
As a non-for profit organisation we are held to very strict rules. The
money should be used for non commercial use. Activism falls under these
rules.

We decided with the founding members to leave OSGeo free for members
(whish are individuals). We are discussing how the organisation should
be funded and what activities we want to support. (FOSS4G Europe is one
of them), but the first priorities is setting up the organisational
structure. In the meantime I had some costs involved in  creating this
organisation.
These cost involve:

- some legal advice for starting an 'international' European organisation.
- the cost for the registration

I also want to settle an agreement with the tax administration to avoid
VAT. For this I will also need some legal advise to talk the same
language as the agents I have to negotiate with.

To be able to cover these first costs I have a request to OSGeo.org if
they could provide our local chapter with some initial seeding money, in
attendance we can establish a self-funding initiative.

2000 Euro should be sufficient for these first responsibilities.

If you think this is an appropriate request, I would be gratefull if you
could transfer the money on our bankaccount so we can pay our short term
debts. Thanks in advance for considering.
--
Dirk
OSGeo Europe

Re: Fwd: request for initial funding

jody.garnett
That is great news Dirk, congrats!

Can you put this on the agenda for the next board meeting please.

I think it would be wise to handle this request as a sponsorship, so there is no direct legal relationship. After all until you have legal advice it is hard to know what we are allowed to do :)

--
Jody Garnett

On 20 March 2018 at 13:01, Dirk Frigne <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear board,

I changed my OSGeo email adres in [hidden email].
That is the reason that my previous mail (in attachement) was rejected.
Please accept this attachement as my formal request.

Best regards,
Dirk.

Re: Fwd: request for initial funding

b.j.kobben

Hi Board,

Would this mean other local chapters are also eligible for having the legal costs of their incubation sponsored...? That might become a rather large financial burden on the .org....

Yours truly,

--

Bestuur Stichting OSGEO.nl

Barend Köbben (Penningmeester)

NL72 INGB 0006276370 ten name van STICHTING OSGEO.NL

SWIFT/BIC:INGBNL2A

Kamer van Koophandel: 58214763

On 20/03/2018, 15:20, "Board on behalf of Jody Garnett" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

That is great news Dirk, congrats!

Can you put this on the agenda for the next board meeting please.

I think it would be wise to handle this request as a sponsorship, so there is no direct legal relationship. After all until you have legal advice it is hard to know what we are allowed to do :)

--

Jody Garnett

On 20 March 2018 at 13:01, Dirk Frigne <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear board,

I changed my OSGeo email adres in
[hidden email].
That is the reason that my previous mail (in attachement) was rejected.
Please accept this attachement as my formal request.

Best regards,
Dirk.

[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Bcc:

Re: Fwd: request for initial funding

jody.garnett
If we can assist any of our communities we will always, try to do so. Often (especially on legal direction) we make use our partners and friends to get an appropriate answer.

It is not a question on eligibility, but on communication. The sponsorship suggestion is me personally trying to think of a way this can be handled at arms length from a legal perspective. OSGeo board does not have, or ask for, and representation at each local chapter - specifically so the can be independent legally in each country. I would not want to mess that up by establishing any kind of expectation.

This is in contrast to our projects, which do have a relationship, in the form of project officer and AGM report .. and have an expectation of an annual budget.