Fwd: Zoom to something and display in one shot from MapServer CGI.

Fwd: Zoom to something and display in one shot from MapServer CGI.

blammo

Hi Steve,

I want to send a CGI request like :  ServerName?pin=202923230045

And zoom to the pin (parcel polygon) in the returned image and also add a buffer percentage.  This is for a reporting application.  I can do it with an intermediate service, but it’s been awhile since I did this, and was wondering if anything new in MapServer might help with this for a single pass approach.

The zoom parameters would be hardcoded into the MapFILE in an ideal world, I can build an SQL for this for example, but I recall I couldn’t use the BBOX returned from the SQL as a BBOX for Mapserver parent call, my memory is cloudy on that capability from MapServer though, hence the question.  Now that you have me talking it through though, I think the last time I asked about this it was to inquire about possibly chaining more than one MapServer call together to get the result.  I think there were fears at the time about possible runaway processes being created . . . .

bobb

On Jul 11, 2017, at 10:38 AM, Stephen Woodbridge <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 7/11/2017 10:39 AM, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) wrote:
All,
It’s probably because it’s Tues. but I think I’ve asked this before in the past . . .
I have a DB with PIN numbers for PARCELS and I want to be able to auto-zoom(with buffer)  to a PARCEL by just sending in a PIN number via CGI.
can the BBOX be pulled from the DB based on the geom in one shot?  I’ve done this in the past with a Webservice that went and grabbed the BBOX separately, then assembled the url for getting the graphic back from Mapserver.

Bobb,

What are you trying to zoom? the image or the client?

If it is the client then how is mapserver on the server supposed to tell the client it needs to zoom? You have to query the server to get the bbox then make the client zoom appropriately.

For the image, assuming you want a static image showing the parcel, then I would write a php/python/perl script the you pass the PIN to and it does the work to figure out the extents and return the image.

-Steve W

---

"If you're going through hell, keep going. “
- Winston Churchill

"Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down."
- Jimmy Durante

Re: Fwd: Zoom to something and display in one shot from MapServer CGI.

Dan Little-2
You're likely better off with a simple script that computes the bounding box and then uses mapserver to render the map.

E.G.: /cgi-bin/parcel-view.py?PIN=[xyz]

def getParcelBBOX(conn, pin):

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 11:22 AM, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Stephen Woodbridge
Bobb,

If you using sql you can do this in one pass, just write a trivial php
script that returns an image.

1. connect to db
2. sql to query expanded bbox of parcel
    select st_astext(st_extent(st_expand(geom, delta)))
      from parcels where pin=?
3. create url to mapserver based on bbox and image size
5. header('Content-type: image/png');
4. passthru(url);

Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be. You can do the same
using perl, python, script language of your choice.

-Steve

On 7/11/2017 12:22 PM, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) wrote:

>> Hi Steve,
>>
>> I want to send a CGI request like :  ServerName?pin=202923230045
>>
>> And zoom to the pin (parcel polygon) in the returned image and also
>> add a buffer percentage.  This is for a reporting application.  I can
>> do it with an intermediate service, but it’s been awhile since I did
>> this, and was wondering if anything new in MapServer might help with
>> this for a single pass approach.
>>
>> The zoom parameters would be hardcoded into the MapFILE in an ideal
>> world, I can build an SQL for this for example, but I recall I
>> couldn’t use the BBOX returned from the SQL as a BBOX for Mapserver
>> parent call, my memory is cloudy on that capability from MapServer
>> though, hence the question.  Now that you have me talking it through
>> though, I think the last time I asked about this it was to inquire
>> about possibly chaining more than one MapServer call together to get
>> the result.  I think there were fears at the time about possible
>> runaway processes being created . . . .
>>
>> bobb

>>> Bobb,
>>>
>>> What are you trying to zoom? the image or the client?
>>>
>>> If it is the client then how is mapserver on the server supposed to
>>> tell the client it needs to zoom? You have to query the server to get
>>> the bbox then make the client zoom appropriately.
>>>
>>> For the image, assuming you want a static image showing the parcel,
>>> then I would write a php/python/perl script the you pass the PIN to
>>> and it does the work to figure out the extents and return the image.
>>>
>>> -Steve W
>>>
>>> ---

>> "If you're going through hell, keep going. “
>> - Winston Churchill
>>

> "Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down."
>     - Jimmy Durante

Re: Fwd: Zoom to something and display in one shot from MapServer CGI.

blammo
Steve,

Yeah, my poison is Perl.  Was just trying to make it simpler is all.

I have a few services already in place like this.

A separate service it is then . . .

bobb

On Jul 11, 2017, at 10:38 AM, Stephen Woodbridge <[hidden email] <[hidden email]>> wrote:

[...]

“There is nothing quite so useless as doing with great efficiency something that should not be done at all.”
                        - Peter Drucker

Re: Fwd: Zoom to something and display in one shot from MapServer CGI.

Andy Colson
On 7/11/2017 1:43 PM, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) wrote:
> Steve,
>
> Yeah, my poison is Perl.  Was just trying to make it simpler is all.
>
> I have a few services already in place like this.
>
> A separate service it is then . . .
>
> bobb

You want something like this:
http://maps.camavision.com/map/jasperia?pin=08.34.204.012

I use perl with mapscript, the request looks like:

my $xpin = $req->param('pin');
# pin can only contain letters and numbers
($xpin) = $xpin =~ /(\w+)/;

my $map = new mapscript::mapObj($filename);

$q = $db->prepare(
        "select * from $schema.getpoint where pin = \$1",
        {pg_server_prepare => 0}
);

getPoint returns box2d(st_expand(the_geom, 100)) for a single pin.

Then we generate some javascript:

if ($zoom =~ /BOX\(([-0-9\.]+)\s+([-0-9\.]+),([-0-9\.]+)\s+([-0-9\.]+)\)/)
{
        $zoom = "zoomToBound($1, $2, $3, $4);\n";
}

That variable is included in the html, and I have a javascript library
function:

function zoomToBound(x1, y1, x2, y2) {
        var bb = new OpenLayers.Bounds.fromArray([x1, y1, x2, y2]);
        map.zoomToExtent(bb, true);
}

-Andy

Re: Fwd: Zoom to something and display in one shot from MapServer CGI.

Lime, Steve D (MNIT)
You can also do pure mapserver with a query layer and a URL template. It's doing a dynamic redirect but it's a single call from your perspective. You'd have a layer like so:

LAYER
  NAME 'parcel_query'
  TYPE QUERY
  DATA 'parcels'
  VALIDATION
    qstring '^[0-9]{16}$' # 16-digit pin number
  END
  TEMPLATE 'http://{url to display service}&mapext=[shpext]'
END

and then a query URL like so:

  http://.../cgi-bin/mapserv?map=mymap.map?mode=itemquery&qlayer=parcels&qitem=pin&qstring=202923230045

Assumes one feature per pin...

It's not a pretty URL, if that's needed use a script as Steve suggests or something like mod_rewrite in front.

Steve

If you using sql you can do this in one pass, just write a trivial php
script that returns an image.

1. connect to db
2. sql to query expanded bbox of parcel
    select st_astext(st_extent(st_expand(geom, delta)))
      from parcels where pin=?
3. create url to mapserver based on bbox and image size
5. header('Content-type: image/png');
4. passthru(url);

Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be. You can do the same
using perl, python, script language of your choice.

-Steve

On 7/11/2017 12:22 PM, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) wrote:

>> Hi Steve,
>>
>> I want to send a CGI request like :  ServerName?pin=202923230045
>>
>> And zoom to the pin (parcel polygon) in the returned image and also
>> add a buffer percentage.  This is for a reporting application.  I can
>> do it with an intermediate service, but it’s been awhile since I did
>> this, and was wondering if anything new in MapServer might help with
>> this for a single pass approach.
>>
>> The zoom parameters would be hardcoded into the MapFILE in an ideal
>> world, I can build an SQL for this for example, but I recall I
>> couldn’t use the BBOX returned from the SQL as a BBOX for Mapserver
>> parent call, my memory is cloudy on that capability from MapServer
>> though, hence the question.  Now that you have me talking it through
>> though, I think the last time I asked about this it was to inquire
>> about possibly chaining more than one MapServer call together to get
>> the result.  I think there were fears at the time about possible
>> runaway processes being created . . . .
>>
>> bobb

>>> Bobb,
>>>
>>> What are you trying to zoom? the image or the client?
>>>
>>> If it is the client then how is mapserver on the server supposed to
>>> tell the client it needs to zoom? You have to query the server to get
>>> the bbox then make the client zoom appropriately.
>>>
>>> For the image, assuming you want a static image showing the parcel,
>>> then I would write a php/python/perl script the you pass the PIN to
>>> and it does the work to figure out the extents and return the image.
>>>
>>> -Steve W
>>>
>>> ---

>> "If you're going through hell, keep going. “
>> - Winston Churchill
>>

> "Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down."
>     - Jimmy Durante

Re: Fwd: Zoom to something and display in one shot from MapServer CGI.

blammo
Steve (L),

That’s really close to what I was looking for.  I vaguely remembered something going on enhancement wise, related to URL requests inside of a MapServer request.

I’ll try this out and get back here with the results.

bobb

On Jul 11, 2017, at 4:55 PM, Lime, Steve D (MNIT) <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

"The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore, be regarded as a criminal offense."
- Edsgar Dijkstra

Re: Fwd: Zoom to something and display in one shot from MapServer CGI.

Lime, Steve D (MNIT)

The shpext tag can re-project, format and buffer a shapes extent if that helps.

Re: Zoom to something and display in one shot from MapServer CGI.

blammo
Working on this, but not quite there yet . . .

My initial request looks like:

    mode=itemquery&
    qlayer=Parcels-Map-Query&
    qitem=parcelid&qstring=162823340026&
    WIDTH=1069&HEIGHT=917

I get a “no matching records” found . . . and with DEBUG 5 on the query layer . . .

    CONNECTIONTYPE PostGIS
        CONNECTION “host=localhost dbname=postgres user=mapserv password=****”

        DATA "wkb_geometry from (
            select objectid, parcelid, wkb_geometry from cache.rc_parcel_poly where parcelid = '%pin%' or parcelid = '%qstring%') as subquery using unique objectid srid=200068"

        VALIDATION
                'pin' '^[0-9]{12}$'
            'qstring' '^[0-9]{12}$'
            END

[Thu Jul 13 09:30:00 2017].645602 msPostGISGetPaging called.
[Thu Jul 13 09:30:00 2017].645665 msPostGISLayerIsOpen called.
[Thu Jul 13 09:30:00 2017].645672 msPostGISLayerFreeItemInfo called.
[Thu Jul 13 09:30:00 2017].645675 msPostGISLayerClose called: wkb_geometry from (
            select objectid, parcelid, wkb_geometry from cache.rc_parcel_poly where parcelid = '%pin%' or parcelid = '162823340026') as subquery using unique objectid srid=200068
[Thu Jul 13 09:30:00 2017].645680 msPostGISLayerOpen called: wkb_geometry from (
            select objectid, parcelid, wkb_geometry from cache.rc_parcel_poly where parcelid = '%pin%' or parcelid = '162823340026') as subquery using unique objectid srid=200068
[Thu Jul 13 09:30:00 2017].645686 msPostGISLayerOpen: No connection in pool, creating a fresh one.
[Thu Jul 13 09:30:00 2017].654626 msConnPoolRegister(Parcels-Map-Query,host=localhost dbname=postgres user=mapserv password=****,0x191b510)
[Thu Jul 13 09:30:00 2017].659333 msPostGISLayerOpen: Got PostGIS version 20200.
[Thu Jul 13 09:30:00 2017].659343 msPostGISLayerOpen: Forcing 2D geometries: yes.
[Thu Jul 13 09:30:00 2017].659347 msPostGISEnablePaging called.
[Thu Jul 13 09:30:00 2017].659349 msPostGISLayerIsOpen called.
[Thu Jul 13 09:30:00 2017].659354 msPostGISLayerFreeItemInfo called.
[Thu Jul 13 09:30:00 2017].659359 msPostGISLayerFreeItemInfo called.
[Thu Jul 13 09:30:00 2017].659364 msPostGISLayerGetItems called.
[Thu Jul 13 09:30:00 2017].659368 msPostGISParseData called.
[Thu Jul 13 09:30:00 2017].659378 msPostGISParseData: unique_column=objectid, srid=, geom_column_name=wkb_geometry, table_name=(
            select objectid, parcelid, wkb_geometry from cache.rc_parcel_poly where parcelid = '%pin%' or parcelid = '162823340026') as subquery
[Thu Jul 13 09:30:00 2017].659384 msPostGISLayerGetItems executing SQL: select * from (
            select objectid, parcelid, wkb_geometry from cache.rc_parcel_poly where parcelid = '%pin%' or parcelid = '162823340026') as subquery where false limit 0
[Thu Jul 13 09:30:00 2017].666373 msPostGISLayerInitItemInfo called.
[Thu Jul 13 09:30:00 2017].666385 msPostGISLayerInitItemInfo called.
[Thu Jul 13 09:30:00 2017].666397 msPostGISLayerIsOpen called.
[Thu Jul 13 09:30:00 2017].666403 msPostGISLayerWhichShapes called.
[Thu Jul 13 09:30:00 2017].666406 msPostGISParseData called.
[Thu Jul 13 09:30:00 2017].666413 msPostGISParseData: unique_column=objectid, srid=, geom_column_name=wkb_geometry, table_name=(
            select objectid, parcelid, wkb_geometry from cache.rc_parcel_poly where parcelid = '%pin%' or parcelid = '162823340026') as subquery
[Thu Jul 13 09:30:00 2017].666417 msPostGISBuildSQL called.
[Thu Jul 13 09:30:00 2017].666419 msPostGISBuildSQLItems called.
[Thu Jul 13 09:30:00 2017].666422 msPostGISBuildSQLItems: 2 items requested.
[Thu Jul 13 09:30:00 2017].666426 msPostGISBuildSQLFrom called.
[Thu Jul 13 09:30:00 2017].666429 msPostGISBuildSQLWhere called.
[Thu Jul 13 09:30:00 2017].666432 msPostGISBuildSQLSRID called.
[Thu Jul 13 09:30:00 2017].666435 msPostGISBuildSQLSRID: Building find_srid line.
[Thu Jul 13 09:30:00 2017].666438 msPostGISBuildSQLBox called.
[Thu Jul 13 09:30:00 2017].666459 msPostGISLayerWhichShapes query: select "objectid","parcelid",encode(ST_AsBinary(ST_Force2D("wkb_geometry"),'NDR'),'hex') as geom,"objectid" from (
            select objectid, parcelid, wkb_geometry from cache.rc_parcel_poly where parcelid = '%pin%' or parcelid = '162823340026') as subquery where wkb_geometry && ST_GeomFromText('POLYGON((573387 162092,573387 162555,574211 162555,574211 162092,573387 162092))',find_srid('','cache.rc_parcel_poly','wkb_geometry')) and ("parcelid"::text = '162823340026')
[Thu Jul 13 09:30:01 2017].114391 msPostGISLayerWhichShapes query status: PGRES_TUPLES_OK (2)
[Thu Jul 13 09:30:01 2017].114407 msPostGISLayerWhichShapes got 0 records in result.
[Thu Jul 13 09:30:01 2017].114412 msPostGISLayerNextShape called.
[Thu Jul 13 09:30:01 2017].114416 msPostGISLayerFreeItemInfo called.
[Thu Jul 13 09:30:01 2017].114419 msPostGISLayerClose called: wkb_geometry from (
            select objectid, parcelid, wkb_geometry from cache.rc_parcel_poly where parcelid = '%pin%' or parcelid = '162823340026') as subquery using unique objectid srid=200068
[Thu Jul 13 09:30:01 2017].114443 msConnPoolRelease(Parcels-Map-Query,host=localhost dbname=postgres user=mapserv password=****,0x191b510)
[Thu Jul 13 09:30:01 2017].114447 msConnPoolClose(host=localhost dbname=postgres user=mapserv password=****,0x191b510)
[Thu Jul 13 09:30:01 2017].114546 msQueryByFilter(): Search returned no results. No matching record(s) found.
[Thu Jul 13 09:30:01 2017].114657 freeLayer(): freeing layer at 0x18e8a40.
[Thu Jul 13 09:30:01 2017].114661 msPostGISLayerIsOpen called.

The subquery works fine from sql and returns a single record.  One thing I noticed, is that the POLYGON BBOX is way off to the west a few thousand feet.  There is no default image size in the Mapfile either so I don’t know where that number is coming from other than shpext . . . are there other parameters that need to be added to the shpext call?

the TEMPLATE link looks like:

This will (should) return an image, should it be some sort of text return instead?  I’m trying to keep it WMS too . . . is this still doable??

bobb

The shpext tag can re-project, format and buffer a shapes extent if that helps.

That’s really close to what I was looking for.  I vaguely remembered something going on enhancement wise, related to URL requests inside of a MapServer request.

I’ll try this out and get back here with the results.

bobb

"I like nonsense; it wakes up the brain cells."
- Dr. Seuss

Re: Zoom to something and display in one shot from MapServer CGI.

Lime, Steve D (MNIT)

You don’t need to do runtime substitution with an itemquery, MapServer will extend the where clause automatically. You data statement just needs to look like:

  DATA "wkb_geometry from (select objectid, parcelid, wkb_geometry from cache.rc_parcel_poly) as subquery using unique objectid srid=200068"

Steve

Re: Zoom to something and display in one shot from MapServer CGI.

Lime, Steve D (MNIT)

I should say that I’m assuming you’re using version 7.0, that’s where the filter normalization work was done so that you could execute the same filter (item queries are just dynamic filters) against any data source.

Oh, and your last question, your URL template can use whatever protocol you want. All you’re doing is seeding it with feature properties – an extent, centroid and/or attributes…

Steve

[...]

… log entries removed for brevity…