Fwd: Time to decide on FOSS4G NA 2017

David William Bitner-3
If any folks from the OSGeo Conference Committee have thoughts or concerns on this, I'd love to hear them on FOSS4G NA selection mailing list.

Re: Fwd: Time to decide on FOSS4G NA 2017

guidos
Other than today's announcement, I don't see any posts in the NA google group since December. I am confused to what discussion Andrea is referring to in her email?

-Guido

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 2:37 PM David William Bitner <[hidden email]> wrote:
If any folks from the OSGeo Conference Committee have thoughts or concerns on this, I'd love to hear them on FOSS4G NA selection mailing list.

Re: Fwd: Time to decide on FOSS4G NA 2017

Jerome St-Louis-2
I'm sure the Ottawa OSGeo and overall Ottawa geo-spatial community would be delighted to host FOSS4G NA 2017 in spring, coinciding with the celebrations in Ottawa for Canada's 150th anniversary.

Re: Time to decide on FOSS4G NA 2017

stevenfeldman
I posted this on the NA mailing list:

In the past as chair of FOSS4G 2013 I was pretty concerned that an NA event earlier in the year would weaken attendance at our event from NA delegates. It may have done but not by much and overall attendance in 2013 hit a new record which suggests that a NA event does not adversely impact a FOSS4G in Europe. The stats suggest that the largest source of delegates for a global event come from the home region, I think the 2014 and 2015 events would confirm that.

A NA regional event and a global event in the same year could be different. It may be possible to differentiate the appeal of the 2 events to different audiences but I would need convincing on this. I know that we have a global event in Europe this year and the community has chosen not to run a regional event in the same year (there will be a couple of much smaller country level events).

I am not sure that trying to run 2 NA events in the same year is a great idea, it may increase the risk of a failure or even a double failure.

Perhaps the Boston team should be asked for their opinions and at the very least they should rework their budget to take account of the potential reduction in sponsorship and delegates that could result?

I am going to cross post this to the Conference mailing list to encourage more contributions

Cheers

Steven
______
Steven

On 18 Feb 2016, at 19:37, David William Bitner <[hidden email]> wrote:

If any folks from the OSGeo Conference Committee have thoughts or concerns on this, I'd love to hear them on FOSS4G NA selection mailing list.

Re: Time to decide on FOSS4G NA 2017

Venkatesh Raghavan-2
Dear All,

I agree with the views expressed by Steven.
More comments below.

On 2/19/2016 8:09 AM, Steven Feldman wrote:

> A NA regional event and a global event in the same year could be
> different. It may be possible to differentiate the appeal of the 2
> events to different audiences but I would need convincing on this. I
> know that we have a global event in Europe this year and the
> community has chosen not to run a regional event in the same year
> (there will be a couple of much smaller country level events).

In 2015, the Asian community also chose not to run the FOSS4G-Asia
regional event.

> Perhaps the Boston team should be asked for their opinions and at the
> very least they should rework their budget to take account of the
> potential reduction in sponsorship and delegates that could result?

+1 to consulting the Boston team and if possible, also asking FOSS4G and
FOSS4G-NA attendees/sponsors (past and 2016) to find out if many would
consider attending/sponsoring both events if they are organized in the
same year.

Best

Venka

<https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

>> -- ************************************ David William Bitner
>> dbSpatial LLC 612-424-9932

Re: Time to decide on FOSS4G NA 2017

Sanghee Shin

Hi all,

I agree with Steven’s view also.

I couldn’t recall the case that we run the regional and global event at the same year in the same region. As Venka mentioned, last year’s FOSS4G Asia was merged to FOSS4G Seoul and we’ll not have FOSS4G Europe this year to promote FOSS4G Bonn more successfully.

Usually more than two-third FOSS4G attendees are from the same region. If we have FOSS4G NA in Spring and International FOSS4G in Summer, there could be possible cannibalisation. I'm concerned about that.

Kind regards,

신상희

---

Shin, Sanghee

Gaia3D, Inc. - The GeoSpatial Company

http://www.gaia3d.com

<[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Andrea Ross
Dear All,

If you would, please participate in the discussion on the NA list too, as Steven did.

Kind regards,

Andrea

<[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev

Re: Fwd: Time to decide on FOSS4G NA 2017

dkastl

  • In other regions, the regional conferences have run in the same year as FOSS4G Global with no serious issues noted. It is likely FOSS4G NA could run anywhere other than the North-eastern United states, and both it and FOSS4G Global in Boston would succeed.
Two examples, where local (national level) FOSS4G's happen(ed) close to a global FOSS4G:

* FOSS4G Japan run in the same year as FOSS4G in Seoul
* German FOSSGIS conference will be in the same year as FOSS4G Bonn

I think the main reason why this has not been seen as a competition were different languages.
There is probably a significant number of attendants, who would not attend a conference with presentations in English.

In case of FOSS4G NA and FOSS4G in Bosten the language would be the same though.

Regards,
Daniel

--
Georepublic UG & Georepublic Japan
eMail: [hidden email]

Re: Time to decide on FOSS4G NA 2017

Helena Mitasova-7
I agree with Steven as well, I believe it would be better to have just one FOSS4G conference in US in 2017.

Helena

<[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

dbSpatial LLC <a href="tel:612-424-9932" value="+16124249932" target="_blank">612-424-9932

Helena Mitasova
Professor
Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
North Carolina State University
1125 Jordan Hall
NCSU Box 8208
Raleigh, NC 27695-8208

ph: 919-513-1327 (no voicemail)
fax 919 515-7802

Re: Time to decide on FOSS4G NA 2017

Till Adams-3

Just my 2 cents:

We (Europeans) decided **not** to have a FOSS4G-EU and a FOSS4G in the
same year.
So next FOSS4G-EU after 2015 in Como will be in 2017.

Till

Am 2016-02-19 05:07, schrieb Helena Mitasova:

> I agree with Steven as well, I believe it would be better to have
> just
> one FOSS4G conference in US in 2017.
>
> Helena
>
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 10:07 PM, 신상희 <[hidden email] [30]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I agree with Steven’s view also.
>>
>> I couldn’t recall the case that we run the regional and global
>> event at the same year in the same region. As Venka mentioned, last
>> year’s FOSS4G Asia was merged to FOSS4G Seoul and we’ll not have
>> FOSS4G Europe this year to promote FOSS4G Bonn more successfully.
>>
>> Usually more than two-third FOSS4G attendees are from the same
>> region. If we have FOSS4G NA in Spring and International FOSS4G in
>> Summer, there could be possible cannibalisation. Im concerned about
>> that.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> 신상희
>>
>> ---
>>
>> Shin, Sanghee
>>
>> Gaia3D, Inc. - The GeoSpatial Company
>>
>> http://www.gaia3d.com [26]

>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> I agree with the views expressed by Steven.
>>> More comments below.

>>> In 2015, the Asian community also chose not to run the
>>> FOSS4G-Asia regional event.

>>> +1 to consulting the Boston team and if possible, also asking
>>> FOSS4G and FOSS4G-NA attendees/sponsors (past and 2016) to find
>>> out if many would consider attending/sponsoring both events if
>>> they are organized in the same year.
>>>
>>> Best
>>>
>>> Venka

> Helena Mitasova
>
> Professor
> Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
> North Carolina State University
> 1125 Jordan Hall
> NCSU Box 8208
> Raleigh, NC 27695-8208
> http://www4.ncsu.edu/~hmitaso/ [31]
> http://geospatial.ncsu.edu/ [32]
>
> email: [hidden email] [33]
> ph: 919-513-1327 (no voicemail)
> fax 919 515-7802
>
> Links:
> ------
> [1] mailto:[hidden email]
> [2] https://groups.google.com/forum/#%21forum/foss4gna_selection
> [3] mailto:[hidden email]
> [4] mailto:[hidden email]
> [5] mailto:[hidden email]
> [6] mailto:[hidden email]
> [7] mailto:[hidden email]
> [8] mailto:[hidden email]
> [9]
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WlgmJgtl0LaV0EO0NtDDSnloTgsIvxu9KwddPDwX1WU/edit
> [10] https://groups.google.com/forum/#%21forum/foss4gna_selection
> [11] https://2016.foss4g-na.org/
> [12]
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WlgmJgtl0LaV0EO0NtDDSnloTgsIvxu9KwddPDwX1WU/edit#
> [13] mailto:foss4gna_selection%[hidden email]
> [14] mailto:foss4gna_selection%[hidden email]
> [...]

Hi Steven,

that hits the point very well!
I think at least a coordination of FOSS4G and the continental
conferences such as -EU or -NA makes sense.
Not only regarding whether there is one in the same region as the main
FOSS4G event, but also about the time slots they take place.
For this, the early allocation of FOSS4G, as it is practised now,
really helps.

I won't touch the local chapter conferences, as there are too much and
that'll mean to much loss of freedom of the local chapters.
I think it's their own interest not to compete with the "major"
conferences ;-9

Till

Am 2016-02-19 09:24, schrieb Steven Feldman:

> [...]
>> fax 919 515-7802

> Links:
> ------
> [1] mailto:[hidden email]
> [2] https://groups.google.com/forum/#%21forum/foss4gna_selection
> [3] mailto:[hidden email]
> [4] mailto:[hidden email]
> [5] mailto:[hidden email]
> [6] mailto:[hidden email]
> [7] mailto:[hidden email]
> [8] mailto:[hidden email]
> [9]
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WlgmJgtl0LaV0EO0NtDDSnloTgsIvxu9KwddPDwX1WU/edit
> [10] https://groups.google.com/forum/#%21forum/foss4gna_selection
> [11] https://2016.foss4g-na.org/
> [12]
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WlgmJgtl0LaV0EO0NtDDSnloTgsIvxu9KwddPDwX1WU/edit#
> [13] mailto:foss4gna_selection%[hidden email]
> [14] mailto:foss4gna_selection%[hidden email]

Michael Terner
Steven & Venka:
Thanks for your interest in hearing from the Boston team. I am currently out of the country on school break with my family but I have heard this news from a variety of parties including members of our BLOC committee, and I have caught up with all posts to this thread. Our team is conferring and we will have a longer, more formal post no later than next Monday.

That said, I can share the following:
  • We were extremely surprised to get this news as it goes against the NA/Global precedent that has been in place since Denver in 2010; and there was no previous chatter about the idea on the North American list.
  • We are definitely opposed to having a FOSS4GNA event earlier in 2017. We cannot help but believe there will be people and sponsors who must choose one event at the expense of the other, and both events would be weaker for that.
Again, we will share our fuller thoughts and assessment no later than Monday and we thank you all for the attention that is being given to this proposal and issue.

Sincerely,

MT & the BLOC

PS: This will be co-posted this to the North American list as well.

wrote:

[...]

ph: <a href="tel:919-513-1327" value="+19195131327" target="_blank">919-513-1327 (no voicemail)
fax <a href="tel:919%20515-7802" value="+19195157802" target="_blank">919 515-7802

Links:
------
[1] mailto:[hidden email]
[2] https://groups.google.com/forum/#%21forum/foss4gna_selection
[3] mailto:[hidden email]
[4] mailto:[hidden email]
[5] mailto:[hidden email]
[6] mailto:[hidden email]
[7] mailto:[hidden email]
[8] mailto:[hidden email]
[9]

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WlgmJgtl0LaV0EO0NtDDSnloTgsIvxu9KwddPDwX1WU/edit
[10] https://groups.google.com/forum/#%21forum/foss4gna_selection
[11] https://2016.foss4g-na.org/
[12]

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WlgmJgtl0LaV0EO0NtDDSnloTgsIvxu9KwddPDwX1WU/edit#
[13] mailto:[hidden email]
[14] mailto:[hidden email]
[15] mailto:[hidden email]
[16] mailto:[hidden email]
[17]

[...]

Executive Vice President
Applied Geographics, Inc.
24 School Street, Suite 500
Boston, MA 02108

www.AppGeo.com

This e-mail message and any attachments may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient or otherwise authorized to receive this message, you should not use, copy, distribute, disclose or take any action based on the information contained in this e-mail or any attachments. If you have received this message and material in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you on behalf of Applied Geographics, Inc. (AppGeo).

Re: Time to decide on FOSS4G NA 2017

Cameron Shorter
+1 to comments so far.
Two major FOSS4G events in the same country would weaken both events. Companies sending delegates or presenters would almost certainly need to select one over the other, and sponsors will therefore target one over the other, but not both.

What might work is clearly providing one main, and one minor city event.
Eg: Hold a 1 day FOSS4G event in Ottawa, which targets just people within Ottawa area.

Andrea, I'm not on foss4g-na list, nor intending to join. Feel free to forward my comments.

Warm regards, Cameron

<[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager
LISAsoft
Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf,
26 - 32 Pirrama Rd, Pyrmont NSW 2009

Re: Time to decide on FOSS4G NA 2017

Rob Emanuele
Hi Andrea, thanks for bringing this up on the lists.

My feeling is that based on what knowledge I have and what I can reason about, I cannot be certain that having a FOSS4G NA in 2017 would *not* effect both attendance and sponsorship of, and ultimately have a negative impact on, both events.

My understanding is that sponsors we draw from for FOSS4G NA is a very similar set of sponsors that FOSS4G would draw from, and given the work that needs to get done for those companies to sponsor one conference, I don't think the two teams would be able to convince all of the potential sponsors to foot two bills without having to pick one conference to favor over the other.

For attendees who need to pay their own way, or have to justify going to conferences like FOSS4G to their employers, asking them to foot the bill for attending both a FOSS4G and a FOSS4G NA might be too much, and them having to make a choice is going to negatively affect attendance for both conferences. Because we are trying to build on the momentum of successful FOSS4G NA's, having one in a year which will necessitate a portion of the attendee base to choose one or the other conference is a way to actually stifle momentum, IMO more so than skipping a year. And while I think that there will be attendees on the west coast that would end up going to a west coast event but not the international event, I'm not sure this would make up for the attendees who would be able to attend either but not both conferences (and also feels a bit like a west-coast or pacific north west regional event, which might be cool).

If we have both sponsors and attendees that will need to go with one or the other conference, then that creates a force of schism in the community. I am not sure how strong that force would be, and I know that whoever would be in favor of having a regional 2017 conference (which no one has strongly argued in favor for yet) would not be trying to introduce that type of force at all. However, I believe we are in a time where the community coming together really matters: with Jeff stepping down as OSGeo president, with the echoes of anti-LocationTech sentiment still ringing in many of our ears from various heated exchanges on the mailing list months ago; also with the OSGeo board making strides to define and clarify it's vision and goals, and the work many people from LocationTech, OSGeo and other organizations or on their own are doing to break down organizational and other barriers to bring together the wider geospatial open source community, I think that it is not a good time to have any force of schism, however light it may be. Instead, let's to work to ensure that the international event is a success, and then make a big push for a very successful FOSS4G NA conference in 2018.

I'm glad this topic was brought up, so thanks again. The decision whether or not to have this specific regional event in the same year as an international event is not a forgone conclusion (as evidence by the fact that it has happened for other regional events). And though my and other's take on it is not in favor of having a FOSS4G NA 2017, hearing about the potential positives is good to consider, and deserves this discussion. For me, specifically hearing about Victoria for a potential conference spot makes me hopeful that it might be located there for 2018...I recently had a great time in Victoria for the LocationTech code sprint and am looking forward to going back!

Thanks,
Rob

Re: Time to decide on FOSS4G NA 2017

Darrell Fuhriman
Hey all.

I don’t think there’s much for me to add that hasn’t already been said, so I’ll just say that I think skipping 2017 is a good idea.

Darrell

On Feb 19, 2016, at 18:28, Andrea Ross <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hey Rob, and Everyone

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this thread, think about it, and share your thoughts.

I also really appreciate you bringing up the anti-LocationTech sentiment. I am hopeful that kind of stuff will fade into the past, as it really was misguided, and toxic.

If it needs to be said explicitly, I am personally neutral on whether to hold NA in 2017 or not.

I know there are more people with thoughts to share, and they are welcome here. I think what might be a good idea is leave this thread going for ideas & contributions until mid next week (approximately). At that time, the committee will deliberate and make a decision and announce it here by the end of the month (or sooner if a quick decision is reached). How does that sound to everyone?

Re: Time to decide on FOSS4G NA 2017

Michael Terner

Full disclosure, I will be the incoming Conference Chair for the Global FOSS4G 2017 event to be held in Boston from August 14-18, 2017.

As promised, I’m back from holiday and have been able to better synch with our BLOC and would like to take the opportunity to more fully and formally reply to this important thread. Thanks are in order to Andrea for bringing this serious issue forward for discussion; indeed, there should be a common understanding of if/how Global and North American events should be “coordinated” when the international rotation brings the Global event to North America.

Ultimately, we do hope and urge that a springtime FOSS4GNA event does not happen in 2017. The following provides the thinking behind this position.

In re-reading the thread just about everything I was intending to write has been posted by someone, or another. Ultimately, this thread is a reminder of what’s best and powerful about the OSGeo/FOSS4G community. The discussions may be imperfect in some ways, but they are always open, thoughtful and reflect a desire for consensus. And indeed, it seems a consensus is potentially forming on this topic.

First, a quick listing of opinions from other writers that we share:

  • +1 to Rob Emanuel’s observation that this is a time to avoid “any force of schism” and that rather 2017 is a huge opportunity for the community “to come together”.
  • +1 to Cameron Shorter’s very concise enumeration of what several people echoed in other posts: “two major FOSS4G events in the same country would weaken both events.”
  • +1 to several writers who observed that precedent holds that regional events generally cede to the Global event when it is on the same continent (e.g., there was no FOSS4GNA in 2014 in lieu of Portland; no FOSS4G Asia in 2015 in lieu of Seoul; and no FOSS4G EU in 2016 in lieu of Bonn) with the few exceptions being for non-English language regional conferences.
  • +1 to Randy Hale’s clear enumeration of the small business-person’s, or independent attendee’s dilemma, in having only so much time or budget available and needing to choose one, or the other, if there were two events.
  • +1 to both Robert Cheetham’s and Jody Garnett's superb ideas on seeing an opportunity for new, focused types of geo open source events that can complement the bigger FOSS4G and FOSS4GNA events (e.g., Civic oriented open source; Big geo data oriented open source; etc.)

With these things said, I’d also like to address a couple of the additional points that Andrea referenced in her post from last Friday, Feb. 19.

  • It is terrific that FOSS4GNA 2015 achieved such a great participation rate from women. It was an important accomplishment. I think all would agree that diversity in attendance and speakers is a key goal; and the Boston team shares this view, and we wrote on this in our proposal to OSGeo. We have our own ideas on how to spur diversity and do not believe that “free all access passes to all speakers” is necessarily the only way to advance this important
    ​objective
     (and we have not ruled out pricing and free passes as a tool to this end).
  • We agree and are counting on east coast participation being an important part of our attendance base. At the same time, we hope not to lose the 10% (or whatever it turns out to be) participation of US attendees who may be prepared to travel cross-country but choose not to because they have a nearer-to-home option. We are planning on vigorous nationwide marketing for participation, and we hope to work with our international friends to encourage attendance and have this be the largest FOSS4G to date (and we hope that Bonn sets a new record for attendance in 2016!).
  • Yes, we are aware that Boston is a relatively expensive city and that our hotel block rate was $260 (for 2 beds and double occupancy). At the same time, Boston’s costs are a function of its popularity and amenities and we believe interest in Boston and the New England region will help drive attendance. And, as we wrote in our proposal, there will be numerous lodging options beyond the hotel block that will provide more affordable lodging; from hostels to AirBnB to lower cost hotels outside the city but accessible by public transportation.

In the end, we love Eddie Pickle’s vision (that Robert Cheetham recounted in his post) of FOSS4G being among the most major geo gatherings, bar none. I have also heard Eddie relay this vision and coincidentally I will be meeting with him this coming Thursday in Washington, DC to further understand his ideas for realizing this vision. We see no reason why FOSS4G shouldn’t be the #2 geo event on the planet (and it is already the best one). As Robert wrote, over time, and as the gap narrows between the 10-15x difference between the Esri User Conference attendance and a growing FOSS4G attendance there will come a time where it will “be desirable to have sub-events that remain of substantive size…” But I would also agree that we are not there yet.

The Boston Team needs and strongly wants the full support of the North American community to help continue the momentum of stronger and stronger FOSS4G events. Together and with a singular focus we can do great things to make FOSS4G 2017 the largest and best possible event.

We thank everyone for this important discussion and also for your future support.

And in the meantime, we are looking forward to supporting a fantastic slate of 2016 events with FOSS4GNA in Raleigh, NC in May, and Global FOSS4G in Bonn in August.

Sincerely,

MT & the BLOC

On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 11:56 PM, Robert Cheetham <[hidden email]> wrote:
Rob,

Great comments.  I agree on every front.

As a business owner, even if I might stretch to try to make it to both events, I'm unlikely to spend double, and each event would therefore receive less.  That calculus won't change unless the audience at both is substantial.

Building on Jim Hughes message, I think there might be a day when having two conferences (NA and Global) in the same year would be both feasible and desirable.  Eddie Pickle and others have expressed the idea that FOSS4G could be the major gathering of open source geospatial, similar in scale to the Esri User Conference - in other words, 10x more than what most of us are planning for a typical FOSS4G event.  At that scale, it will likely be *desirable* to hive off sub-events that remain of substantive size and deliberately pull some audience away from the main event.  But I don't think we are there yet.

I also think Jody's suggestions were quite interesting.  And such events need not necessarily use the FOSS4G moniker.  For example, I think it would be cool to consider:

 * Big Geospatial Data Summit (or maybe High Performance Computing for Geospatial - HPC4G)
 * a concerted geospatial presence at SC
 * Civic Open Source Geospatial Conference
 * Geospatial for Social Good Conference

and so on.

Thanks,

Robert

On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 5:41 PM, Rob Emanuele <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

617-447-2468 Direct | 617-447-2400 Main