Fwd: Re: OSGeo DoI MoU signatures

Venkatesh Raghavan

Dear Board,

Perhaps this mail did not reach the board list

and I forward again.

Best

Venka

Re: Fwd: Re: OSGeo DoI MoU signatures

jody.garnett
Thanks Venka, that is what we needed.

I have updated the wiki page and attached the file: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/MOU_DOI#Memorandum_of_Understanding_2017

And started a draft blog post (Venka you may wish to provide a quote?).

--
Jody Garnett

--
*Tod Dabolt*
Geospatial Information Officer
Office of the Chief Information Officer
Office of the Secretary
US Department of the Interior
1849 C Street, NW
Washington, DC 20240

Mail Stop 7112-MIB
Room 7145N
Office Phone:  <a href="tel:(202)%20208-4109" value="+12022084109" target="_blank">202-208-4109
Cell Phone:     <a href="tel:(202)%20734-0103" value="+12027340103" target="_blank">202-734-0103

E-mail:  [hidden email]

Check out https://www.geoplatform.gov

Re: Fwd: Re: OSGeo DoI MoU signatures

Venkatesh Raghavan-2
Hi Jody and all,

On 2017/09/28 14:52, Jody Garnett wrote:
> Thanks Venka, that is what we needed.
>
> I have updated the wiki page and attached the file:
> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/MOU_DOI#Memorandum_of_Understanding_2017
>
> And started a draft blog post (Venka you may wish to provide a quote?).

“OSGeo has traditional roots in projects such as GRASS and MapServer
that were initiated with the support of U.S. Government Departments and
Agencies. The MoU with U.S. Department of the Interior opens up exciting
possibilities for collaboration in furthering the development and
adoption of Open Source Geospatial technologies.”

Let me know if that is OK.

Best

Venka

> ​
>   OSGeo signs MOU with US Department of Interior
> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zIpEomF6Vjg03LlaPzw9PGbwb_5EmSHYwuu6hs_o3gA/edit?usp=drive_web>
> ​
>
> --
> Jody Garnett
>
> On 27 September 2017 at 20:35, Venkatesh Raghavan <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Dear Board,
>>
>> Perhaps this mail did not reach the board list
>>
>> and I forward again.
>>
>> Best
>>
>> Venka

Looks good, and they are your words :)

I would consider just roots (traditional kind of says the same thing twice.

Your words focus on development and adoption of open source; reading the MOU the DOI is also interested in “furthering accessibility to public data” (ie their mandate).
On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 3:25 AM Venka <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Jody and all,

On 2017/09/28 14:52, Jody Garnett wrote:
> Thanks Venka, that is what we needed.
>
> I have updated the wiki page and attached the file:
> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/MOU_DOI#Memorandum_of_Understanding_2017
>
> And started a draft blog post (Venka you may wish to provide a quote?).

“OSGeo has traditional roots in projects such as GRASS and MapServer
that were initiated with the support of U.S. Government Departments and
Agencies. The MoU with U.S. Department of the Interior opens up exciting
possibilities for collaboration in furthering the development and
adoption of Open Source Geospatial technologies.”

Let me know if that is OK.

Best

Venka

> ​
>   OSGeo signs MOU with US Department of Interior
> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zIpEomF6Vjg03LlaPzw9PGbwb_5EmSHYwuu6hs_o3gA/edit?usp=drive_web>
> ​
>
> --
> Jody Garnett
>
> On 27 September 2017 at 20:35, Venkatesh Raghavan <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Dear Board,
>>
>> Perhaps this mail did not reach the board list
>>
>> and I forward again.
>>
>> Best
>>
>> Venka

Hi Doug, Jody,

Thanks for your comments.

I would like to retain "traditional roots" to add emphasis. Changed
"further accessibility" to "enhance accessibility" to avoid the
usage of the same word (furthering) in the sentence.

I wonder if Open Source technologies does not encompass Open Data and
Open Standards, but am OK with mentioning them separately too.

“OSGeo has traditional roots in projects such as GRASS and
MapServer that were initiated with the support of U.S. Government
Departments and Agencies. The MoU with U.S. Department of the Interior
opens up exciting possibilities for collaboration in furthering the
development and adoption of Open Source Geospatial technologies and Open
Data Standards to enhance accessibility to public data.”

Best

Venka

On 9/28/2017 9:59 PM, Newcomb, Doug wrote:

> Trying to keep up with Jody..
>
> “OSGeo has roots in projects such as GRASS and MapServer that were
> initiated with the support of U.S. Government Departments and Agencies. The
> MoU with U.S. Department of the Interior opens up exciting possibilities
> for collaboration in furthering the development and adoption of Open Source
> Geospatial technologies  and Open Data Standards to further accessibility
> to public data.”
>
> Doug
>
> On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 8:56 AM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Looks good, and they are your words :)
>>
>> I would consider just roots (traditional kind of says the same thing twice.
>>
>> Your words focus on development and adoption of open source; reading the
>> MOU the DOI is also interested in “furthering accessibility to public data”
>> (ie their mandate).
>> On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 3:25 AM Venka <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Jody and all,

>>> “OSGeo has traditional roots in projects such as GRASS and MapServer
>>> that were initiated with the support of U.S. Government Departments and
>>> Agencies. The MoU with U.S. Department of the Interior opens up exciting
>>> possibilities for collaboration in furthering the development and
>>> adoption of Open Source Geospatial technologies.”
>>>
>>> Let me know if that is OK.
>>>
>>> Best
>>>
>>> Venka

>>> 5EmSHYwuu6hs_o3gA/edit?usp=drive_web>

Ben Caradoc-Davies-2
I suggest "enhance access to" rather than "enhance accessibility to"
because it is simpler and avoids a perhaps unintended link to
consideration of those with disabilities:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility

If you choose to keep "accessibility", it think it should be
"accessibility of" not "accessibility to". Open standards support
technologies like screen readers, but I do not think this is the core
message.

In my view, Open Source/Data/Standards are friends but distinct.

Kind regards,
Ben.

On 29/09/17 02:55, Venkatesh Raghavan wrote:

> Hi Doug, Jody,
>
> Thanks for your comments.
>
> I would like to retain "traditional roots" to add emphasis. Changed
> "further accessibility" to "enhance accessibility" to avoid the
> usage of the same word (furthering) in the sentence.
>
> I wonder if Open Source technologies does not encompass Open Data and
> Open Standards, but am OK with mentioning them separately too.
>

> “OSGeo has traditional roots in projects such as GRASS and MapServer
> that were initiated with the support of U.S. Government Departments and
> Agencies. The MoU with U.S. Department of the Interior opens up exciting
> possibilities for collaboration in furthering the development and
> adoption of Open Source Geospatial technologies and Open Data Standards
> to enhance accessibility to public data.”
>
> Best
>
> Venka
>

> On 9/28/2017 9:59 PM, Newcomb, Doug wrote:
>> Trying to keep up with Jody..
>>
>> “OSGeo has roots in projects such as GRASS and MapServer that were
>> initiated with the support of U.S. Government Departments and
>> Agencies. The
>> MoU with U.S. Department of the Interior opens up exciting possibilities
>> for collaboration in furthering the development and adoption of Open
>> Source
>> Geospatial technologies  and Open Data Standards to further accessibility
>> to public data.”
>>
>> Doug
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 8:56 AM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Looks good, and they are your words :)
>>>
>>> I would consider just roots (traditional kind of says the same thing
>>> twice.
>>>
>>> Your words focus on development and adoption of open source; reading the
>>> MOU the DOI is also interested in “furthering accessibility to public
>>> data”
>>> (ie their mandate).

Ben Caradoc-Davies <[hidden email]>
Director
New Zealand

Re: Fwd: Re: OSGeo DoI MoU signatures

Venkatesh Raghavan
Thanks, Ben.

I think the latest version below is ready to go.

“OSGeo has traditional roots in projects such as GRASS and MapServer
that were initiated with the support of U.S. Government Departments and
Agencies. The MoU with U.S. Department of the Interior opens up exciting
possibilities for collaboration in furthering the development and
adoption of Open Source Geospatial Software, Open Data and Open
Standards to enhance access to public data.”

Best

Venka

On 9/29/2017 7:07 AM, Ben Caradoc-Davies wrote:

> I suggest "enhance access to" rather than "enhance accessibility to"
> because it is simpler and avoids a perhaps unintended link to
> consideration of those with disabilities:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility
>
> If you choose to keep "accessibility", it think it should be
> "accessibility of" not "accessibility to". Open standards support
> technologies like screen readers, but I do not think this is the core
> message.
>
> In my view, Open Source/Data/Standards are friends but distinct.
>
> Kind regards,
> Ben.
>
> On 29/09/17 02:55, Venkatesh Raghavan wrote:
>> Hi Doug, Jody,
>>
>> Thanks for your comments.
>>
>> I would like to retain "traditional roots" to add emphasis. Changed
>> "further accessibility" to "enhance accessibility" to avoid the
>> usage of the same word (furthering) in the sentence.
>>
>> I wonder if Open Source technologies does not encompass Open Data and
>> Open Standards, but am OK with mentioning them separately too.
>>

>> “OSGeo has traditional roots in projects such as GRASS and MapServer
>> that were initiated with the support of U.S. Government Departments
>> and Agencies. The MoU with U.S. Department of the Interior opens up
>> exciting possibilities for collaboration in furthering the
>> development and adoption of Open Source Geospatial technologies and
>> Open Data Standards to enhance accessibility to public data.”
>>
>> Best
>>
>> Venka
>>

>> On 9/28/2017 9:59 PM, Newcomb, Doug wrote:
>>> Trying to keep up with Jody..
>>>
>>> “OSGeo has roots in projects such as GRASS and MapServer that were
>>> initiated with the support of U.S. Government Departments and
>>> Agencies. The
>>> MoU with U.S. Department of the Interior opens up exciting
>>> possibilities
>>> for collaboration in furthering the development and adoption of Open
>>> Source
>>> Geospatial technologies  and Open Data Standards to further
>>> accessibility
>>> to public data.”
>>>
>>> Doug

Thanks Venka, it looks way better with a quote :)

I am not near a computer for a couple days, can you post the news item yourself? Our instructions still refer to the website committee, so you may be on your own here ...

--
Jody Garnett

On 28 September 2017 at 15:44, Venkatesh Raghavan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks, Ben.

I think the latest version below is ready to go.

“OSGeo has traditional roots in projects such as GRASS and MapServer that were initiated with the support of U.S. Government Departments and Agencies. The MoU with U.S. Department of the Interior opens up exciting possibilities for collaboration in furthering the development and adoption of Open Source Geospatial Software, Open Data and Open Standards to enhance access to public data.”

[...]

“OSGeo has traditional roots in projects such as GRASS and MapServer  that were initiated with the support of U.S. Government Departments and Agencies. The MoU with U.S. Department of the Interior opens up exciting possibilities for collaboration in furthering the development and adoption of Open Source Geospatial technologies and Open Data Standards to enhance accessibility to public data.”

[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Office Phone:  <a href="tel:202-208-4109" value="+12022084109" target="_blank">202-208-4109 <(202)%20208-4109>
Cell Phone:     <a href="tel:202-734-0103" value="+12027340103" target="_blank">202-734-0103 <(202)%20734-0103>

On 2017/09/29 13:08, Jody Garnett wrote:
> Thanks Venka, it looks way better with a quote :)
>
> I am not near a computer for a couple days, can you post the news item
> yourself? Our instructions
> <http://www.osgeo.org/content/news/submit_news.html> still refer to the
> website committee, so you may be on your own here ...

News item has been posted.

Best

Venka

> --
> Jody Garnett
>
> On 28 September 2017 at 15:44, Venkatesh Raghavan <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Ben.
>>
>> I think the latest version below is ready to go.
>>
>> “OSGeo has traditional roots in projects such as GRASS and MapServer that
>> were initiated with the support of U.S. Government Departments and
>> Agencies. The MoU with U.S. Department of the Interior opens up exciting
>> possibilities for collaboration in furthering the development and adoption
>> of Open Source Geospatial Software, Open Data and Open Standards to enhance
>> access to public data.”
>>
>> Best
>>
>> Venka
>>

>> On 9/29/2017 7:07 AM, Ben Caradoc-Davies wrote:
>>
>>> I suggest "enhance access to" rather than "enhance accessibility to"
>>> because it is simpler and avoids a perhaps unintended link to consideration
>>> of those with disabilities:
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility
>>>
>>> If you choose to keep "accessibility", it think it should be
>>> "accessibility of" not "accessibility to". Open standards support
>>> technologies like screen readers, but I do not think this is the core
>>> message.
>>>
>>> In my view, Open Source/Data/Standards are friends but distinct.
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>> Ben.

Jachym Cepicky
Hi,

just noting, that I also do collect the MOUs (the new comming) in the new git

Thank link appears broken for me? I was thinking of making a "board" folder for official letters and the like here https://github.com/osgeo/osgeo - but if you have a plan in I would rather go with that.

I note that the partner pages (see http://osgeo.getinteractive.nl/partners/ogc/) have a spot for us to put a link to the latest MOU for each relationship, that can be an external link to git.osgeo.org, or an file attachment.

--
Jody Garnett

On 8 October 2017 at 12:04, Jachym Cepicky <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

just noting, that I also do collect the MOUs (the new comming) in the new git

pá 29. 9. 2017 v 8:19 odesílatel Venkatesh Raghavan <[hidden email]> napsal:
On 2017/09/29 13:08, Jody Garnett wrote:
> Thanks Venka, it looks way better with a quote :)
>
> I am not near a computer for a couple days, can you post the news item
> yourself? Our instructions
> <http://www.osgeo.org/content/news/submit_news.html> still refer to the
> website committee, so you may be on your own here ...

News item has been posted.

Best

Venka

> --
> Jody Garnett
>
> On 28 September 2017 at 15:44, Venkatesh Raghavan <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Ben.
>>
>> I think the latest version below is ready to go.
>>
>> “OSGeo has traditional roots in projects such as GRASS and MapServer that
>> were initiated with the support of U.S. Government Departments and
>> Agencies. The MoU with U.S. Department of the Interior opens up exciting
>> possibilities for collaboration in furthering the development and adoption
>> of Open Source Geospatial Software, Open Data and Open Standards to enhance
>> access to public data.”
>>
>> Best
>>
>> Venka
>>

>> On 9/29/2017 7:07 AM, Ben Caradoc-Davies wrote:
>>
>>> I suggest "enhance access to" rather than "enhance accessibility to"
>>> because it is simpler and avoids a perhaps unintended link to consideration
>>> of those with disabilities:
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility
>>>
>>> If you choose to keep "accessibility", it think it should be
>>> "accessibility of" not "accessibility to". Open standards support
>>> technologies like screen readers, but I do not think this is the core
>>> message.
>>>
>>> In my view, Open Source/Data/Standards are friends but distinct.
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>> Ben.

Well, people were against using GitHub for various reasons and since OSGeo has now own GIT, I would say, let's use it

the repo is now public, should be accessible