Fwd: Plans for OGC/OSGeo Board meetup

12

Fwd: Plans for OGC/OSGeo Board meetup

jmckenna
Administrator
Forwarding to OSGeo Board.  Board: we'll need to decide asap whether to
move forward, motion to approve use of funds, or not.

-jeff

Re: Fwd: Plans for OGC/OSGeo Board meetup

jmckenna
Administrator
I hope all Board (and interested community) members can give their
advice here on this Board mailing list today.

13 OGC Board members, it is quite an opportunity.  So far I have the
following confirmed from OSGeo for this dinner:

- Frank
- Jachym
- Anne
- Ian
- Suchith
- myself

Note that we must each select our meal choices to Jeremy by Friday.

So maybe my original estimation of 8 from OSGeo is good for the reservation.

Should we just pay our own ways?

Looking for advice here.  (note that this meetup has bounced around on
people's plates and finally fallen on my lap, with many sending direct
messages to me, so please speak publicly, as I am getting swamped)

-jeff

On 2013-09-10 2:41 PM, Jeff McKenna wrote:

> Forwarding to OSGeo Board.  Board: we'll need to decide asap whether to
> move forward, motion to approve use of funds, or not.
>
> -jeff

Jeff McKenna
http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/

Re: Plans for OGC/OSGeo Board meetup

Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS)-2
Hey Jeff,

I can make it as well.

Wrt paying our own way or not, I don't have a strong preference, and would be okay with what the majority decides.

Best regards,
Bart

--
Bart van den Eijnden
OSGIS - http://osgis.nl

On 2013-09-10 2:41 PM, Jeff McKenna wrote:
Forwarding to OSGeo Board.  Board: we'll need to decide asap whether to
move forward, motion to approve use of funds, or not.

-jeff

Re: Fwd: Plans for OGC/OSGeo Board meetup

Peter Batty
I would be interested in attending too, to help get a closer numerical balance between the two teams :).

I am fine with paying my own way. I don't have strong views either way on that topic either, but maybe lean slightly towards everyone paying their own way.

Cheers,
    Peter.

On 2013-09-10 2:41 PM, Jeff McKenna wrote:
> Forwarding to OSGeo Board.  Board: we'll need to decide asap whether to
> move forward, motion to approve use of funds, or not.
>
> -jeff

Fenoy Gerald
Dear Jeff,
I would like to participate to this dinner.

About using funds for the dinner, I am a bit disturbed. I feel it may be better that we pay on our own.

Best regards,

Gérald

Le 11 sept. 2013 à 15:18, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> I hope all Board (and interested community) members can give their
> advice here on this Board mailing list today.
>
> 13 OGC Board members, it is quite an opportunity.  So far I have the
> following confirmed from OSGeo for this dinner:
>
> - Frank
> - Jachym
> - Anne
> - Ian
> - Suchith
> - myself
>
> Note that we must each select our meal choices to Jeremy by Friday.
>
> So maybe my original estimation of 8 from OSGeo is good for the reservation.
>
> Should we just pay our own ways?
>
> Looking for advice here.  (note that this meetup has bounced around on
> people's plates and finally fallen on my lap, with many sending direct
> messages to me, so please speak publicly, as I am getting swamped)
>
> -jeff
>

> On 2013-09-10 2:41 PM, Jeff McKenna wrote:
>> Forwarding to OSGeo Board.  Board: we'll need to decide asap whether to
>> move forward, motion to approve use of funds, or not.
>>
>> -jeff

Arnulf Christl

Jeff,
please put me on the list. Re. paying - I think that OSGeo should be
able to cover the cost of such a meeting for it's directors and
invited guests [1].

I suggest that we ping a few ideas here so that we have something to
focus on. This opportunity only comes up once a year so we should try
to make the most of it.

Suggestions:
* How to mutually benefit from the ICA OSGeo labs education effort
* Exchange ideas about how OSGeo can help enhance the standards
process. Specifically: Would the OGC profit from OSGeo style code
sprints? How could we collaborate.
* ''your idea here''

All on this page:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Informal_OSGeo_OGC_Meeting_2013-09-18
Please hack away.

Specifically for OSGeo it will be interesting to learn about the
current policy & procedure and governance update activities at the OGC
because OSGeo will also have to do some housekeeping.

Cheers,
Arnulf

[1] ...(but have paid so much out of my own pocket in the past years
that it does not really matter much to me personally).

On 09/11/2013 02:18 PM, Jeff McKenna wrote:

> [...]
>>> Please come along.
>>>
>>> Also Arnulf, can you make it to this on Wednesday night?
>>>
>>> -jeff

[2]

>> This message and any attachment are intended solely for the
>> addressee and may contain confidential information. If you have
>> received this message in error, please send it back to me, and
>> immediately delete it. Please do not use, copy or disclose the
>> information contained in this message or in any attachment.  Any
>> views or opinions expressed by the author of this email do not
>> necessarily reflect the views of the University of Nottingham.

>> attachment
>>
>> may still contain software viruses which could damage your
>> computer system, you are advised to perform your own checks.
>> Email communications with the University of Nottingham may be
>> monitored as permitted by UK legislation.

- --
Seven of Nine
http://arnulf.us/Seven
Exploring Body, Space and Mind

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Fwd: Plans for OGC/OSGeo Board meetup (UNCLASSIFIED)

Smith, Michael ERDC-CRREL-NH
Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Jeff,

I'd also like to attend and, of course, would pay my own way.

Mike

> [...]

>>> Please come along.
>>>
>>> Also Arnulf, can you make it to this on Wednesday night?
>>>
>>> -jeff

[2]

>> This message and any attachment are intended solely for the
>> addressee and may contain confidential information. If you have
>> received this message in error, please send it back to me, and
>> immediately delete it. Please do not use, copy or disclose the
>> information contained in this message or in any attachment.  Any
>> views or opinions expressed by the author of this email do not
>> necessarily reflect the views of the University of Nottingham.

>> attachment
>>
>> may still contain software viruses which could damage your
>> computer system, you are advised to perform your own checks.
>> Email communications with the University of Nottingham may be
>> monitored as permitted by UK legislation.

Diners, choose your course (was: Re: Fwd: Plans for OGC/OSGeo Board meetup)

Arnulf Christl-3

Re: Fwd: Plans for OGC/OSGeo Board meetup

Anne Ghisla-2
On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 10:18:12 -0300
Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I hope all Board (and interested community) members can give their
> advice here on this Board mailing list today.
>
> 13 OGC Board members, it is quite an opportunity.  So far I have the
> following confirmed from OSGeo for this dinner:
>
> - Frank
> - Jachym
> - Anne
> - Ian
> - Suchith
> - myself
>
> So maybe my original estimation of 8 from OSGeo is good for the
> reservation.
>
> Should we just pay our own ways?
I am willing to pay on my own, but am fine with OSGeo covering this
expense for OSGeo and OGC Board members who wish so. I hope it does not
make accounting too complicated.

> Looking for advice here.  (note that this meetup has bounced around on
> people's plates and finally fallen on my lap, with many sending direct
> messages to me, so please speak publicly, as I am getting swamped)
>
> -jeff

Best!

Anne
--
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Aghisla

Re: Proposal: OSGeo cover board member dinner expenses

Cameron Shorter
I unfortunately won't be at FOSS4G, however I think that OSGeo should
cover expenses of board members doing board business. Dinner expenses
should be covered.

As such,
I propose:
1. That current board member' and ex-board member dinner expenses are
covered up to the cost of a 3 course meal and soft drinks. Alcoholic
drinks to be covered by board members.
+1 Cameron

2. Non board members are welcome to join the meeting, but will need to
cover their own expenses.
+1 Cameron

On 11/09/2013 11:18 PM, Jeff McKenna wrote:

> I hope all Board (and interested community) members can give their
> advice here on this Board mailing list today.
>
> 13 OGC Board members, it is quite an opportunity.  So far I have the
> following confirmed from OSGeo for this dinner:
>
> - Frank
> - Jachym
> - Anne
> - Ian
> - Suchith
> - myself
>
> Note that we must each select our meal choices to Jeremy by Friday.
>
> So maybe my original estimation of 8 from OSGeo is good for the reservation.
>
> Should we just pay our own ways?
>
> Looking for advice here.  (note that this meetup has bounced around on
> people's plates and finally fallen on my lap, with many sending direct
> messages to me, so please speak publicly, as I am getting swamped)
>
> -jeff
>

> On 2013-09-10 2:41 PM, Jeff McKenna wrote:
>> Forwarding to OSGeo Board.  Board: we'll need to decide asap whether to
>> move forward, motion to approve use of funds, or not.
>>
>> -jeff

Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager
LISAsoft
Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf,
26 - 32 Pirrama Rd, Pyrmont NSW 2009

P (02) 8570 5050,  W www.lisasoft.com,  F (02) 8570 509

Re: Proposal: OSGeo cover board member dinner expenses

Paul Ramsey
I think that buying board members dinner is something that rich foundations do, but not something that poor foundations do. Where is OSGeo in the continuum?

Paul Ramsey
http://cleverelephant.ca/
http://postgis.net/

On Wednesday, 11 September, 2013 at 4:04 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:

> I unfortunately won't be at FOSS4G, however I think that OSGeo should
> cover expenses of board members doing board business. Dinner expenses
> should be covered.
>
> As such,
> I propose:
> 1. That current board member' and ex-board member dinner expenses are
> covered up to the cost of a 3 course meal and soft drinks. Alcoholic
> drinks to be covered by board members.
> +1 Cameron
>
> 2. Non board members are welcome to join the meeting, but will need to
> cover their own expenses.
> +1 Cameron
>
> On 11/09/2013 11:18 PM, Jeff McKenna wrote:
> > I hope all Board (and interested community) members can give their
> > advice here on this Board mailing list today.
> >
> > 13 OGC Board members, it is quite an opportunity. So far I have the
> > following confirmed from OSGeo for this dinner:
> >
> > - Frank
> > - Jachym
> > - Anne
> > - Ian
> > - Suchith
> > - myself
> >
> > Note that we must each select our meal choices to Jeremy by Friday.
> >
> > So maybe my original estimation of 8 from OSGeo is good for the reservation.
> >
> > Should we just pay our own ways?
> >
> > Looking for advice here. (note that this meetup has bounced around on
> > people's plates and finally fallen on my lap, with many sending direct
> > messages to me, so please speak publicly, as I am getting swamped)
> >
> > -jeff
> >

> > On 2013-09-10 2:41 PM, Jeff McKenna wrote:
> > > Forwarding to OSGeo Board. Board: we'll need to decide asap whether to
> > > move forward, motion to approve use of funds, or not.
> > >
> > > -jeff

Darrell Fuhriman
I think rich foundations pay their board members.  Poor ones throw them a bone (with a bit of meat on it, perhaps).

Realistically, what are we talking? $300? I'm OK with that.

d.

On Sep 11, 2013, at 16:07, Paul Ramsey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think that buying board members dinner is something that rich foundations do, but not something that poor foundations do. Where is OSGeo in the continuum?

> Paul Ramsey
> http://cleverelephant.ca/
> http://postgis.net/

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Proposal: OSGeo cover board member dinner expenses

Daniel Morissette
Hi Paul,

I would not say that OSGeo is rich (define: rich), but we can definitely
afford covering expenses for that dinner without any noticeable impact
on our finances.

I would add that getting all board members face to face (independent of
the OGC thing) is an investment in a stronger board and the return on
this investment if we have a more efficient board as a result is going
to be worth much more than the value of a meal.

For this reason I will +1 Cameron's proposals.

Now, I sure wish that the board had more time for a F2F together outside
of this meeting with OGC. 1 hour for a F2F Friday morning will be very
short but better than nothing I guess.

Daniel

http://www.mapgears.com/

Re: Fwd: Plans for OGC/OSGeo Board meetup

Daniel Morissette
I'll be there as well.

Daniel

--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/

Re: Proposal: OSGeo cover board member dinner expenses

Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS)-2
Hey Cameron,

my votes inline.

Best regards,
Bart

--
Bart van den Eijnden
OSGIS - http://osgis.nl

On Sep 12, 2013, at 1:04 AM, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:

I unfortunately won't be at FOSS4G, however I think that OSGeo should cover expenses of board members doing board business. Dinner expenses should be covered.

As such,
I propose:
1. That current board member' and ex-board member dinner expenses are covered up to the cost of a 3 course meal and soft drinks. Alcoholic drinks to be covered by board members.
+1 Cameron

+0 Bart

2. Non board members are welcome to join the meeting, but will need to cover their own expenses.
+1 Cameron

+1 Bart

    On 2013-09-03 8:21 PM, Jeremy Morley wrote:

> [...]
good
    > handle on the numbers attending too, please.
    >
    >
    > With regards, thanks, and some trepidation at the nearness of it
all,
    > Jeremy

message or in any attachment.  Any views or opinions expressed by the
University of Nottingham.

may still contain software viruses which could damage your computer
system, you are advised to perform your own checks. Email communications
with the University of Nottingham may be monitored as permitted by UK
legislation.

Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager
LISAsoft
Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf,
26 - 32 Pirrama Rd, Pyrmont NSW 2009

P (02) 8570 5050,  W www.lisasoft.com,  F (02) 8570 509

Re: Proposal: OSGeo cover board member dinner expenses

Jorge Sanz (OSGeo)
2013/9/12 Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]>:

> I unfortunately won't be at FOSS4G, however I think that OSGeo should cover
> expenses of board members doing board business. Dinner expenses should be
> covered.
>
> As such,
> I propose:
> 1. That current board member' and ex-board member dinner expenses are
> covered up to the cost of a 3 course meal and soft drinks. Alcoholic drinks
> to be covered by board members.
> +1 Cameron

+0

> 2. Non board members are welcome to join the meeting, but will need to cover
> their own expenses.
> +1 Cameron

+1

--
Jorge Sanz
http://www.osgeo.org

2013/9/12 Daniel Morissette <[hidden email]>:
> I'll be there as well.
>
> Daniel

Hi, me too

--
Jorge Sanz
http://www.osgeo.org

Le 12 sept. 2013 à 01:04, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> I propose:
> 1. That current board member' and ex-board member dinner expenses are covered up to the cost of a 3 course meal and soft drinks. Alcoholic drinks to be covered by board members.
> +1 Cameron

+0

> 2. Non board members are welcome to join the meeting, but will need to cover their own expenses.
> +1 Cameron

+1

Gérald Fenoy

Re: Proposal: OSGeo cover board member dinner expenses

Jachym Cepicky

I'm glad to get there, to FOSS4G. This year, it was very difficult for
me, I actually was not counting with my attendance, but thanks to my new
employer, we've found a (compromise) way.

I'm not sure, whether OSGeo is poor or rich foundation.

Still I do appreciate Carmeron's proposal a lot and give my +1 to both
points.

Jachym

P.S. I'll come, regardless motion result. I consider it as duty of mine,
being on the board.

Jachym Cepicky
jachym.cepicky at gmail.com
http://les-ejk.cz
PGP: http://les-ejk.cz/pgp/JachymCepicky.pgp

Re: Proposal: OSGeo cover board member dinner expenses

Frank Warmerdam

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 4:04 PM, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:
I unfortunately won't be at FOSS4G, however I think that OSGeo should cover expenses of board members doing board business. Dinner expenses should be covered.

As such,
I propose:
1. That current board member' and ex-board member dinner expenses are covered up to the cost of a 3 course meal and soft drinks. Alcoholic drinks to be covered by board members.
+1 Cameron

As usual, I'd prefer the directors to pay their own expenses, but it isn't unreasonable and I'll go along.

+1

2. Non board members are welcome to join the meeting, but will need to cover their own expenses.
+1 Cameron

+1  I'll be pleased to have Mike and other interested parties there.

12