Fwd: [OSGeo-Live] Proj4 documentation

Even Rouault-2

Hi,

Please see below help that seeks volunteers to help maintaining proj.4 documentation in OSGeo-Live.

Even

From: Nicolas Roelandt <[hidden email]>

To: [hidden email], [hidden email]

Hi Even,

I'm coming to you on behalf of the OSGeo-Live project. We are currently

making a great spring cleaning of the projects included in OSGeo-Live. [1]

We are not enough to maintain all of them and keep the docs up to date too,

so we are downsizing.

Proj4 appeared on our radar since the software is good but the

documentation neglected.

Proj4 is still active since you made a commit a few hours / day ago.

Can you reach to the Proj4 community to help us find 2 peoples who

volunteer to maintain the docs with us ?

Can you relay this mail and ask volunteers to contact Astrid Emde [2] and

Vicky Vergara [3], so we can update our contact list and reach to them ?

As we say : "Work commitment is low, kudos and karma very high :) "

Best regards,

Nicolas Roelandt

OSGeo-Live PSC member

OSGeo-fr member

[1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc_Press_Release_77

[2] astrid_emde at osgeo dot org

[3] vicky at georepublic dot de

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: Fwd: [OSGeo-Live] Proj4 documentation

Kristian Evers-2

Astrid, Vicky,

Could you please share with the PROJ.4 mailing list what sort of work is expected of the volunteers? We are aware that the PROJ.4 docs need improving, and are actively working on that (albeit slowly). What else do you need for the OSGeo Liv distribution? I am sure it is easier to recruit volunteers if the task on hand is described more clearly.

Best regards,

Kristian

Please see below help that seeks volunteers to help maintaining proj.4 documentation in OSGeo-Live.

Even

Re: Fwd: [OSGeo-Live] Proj4 documentation

Julien Moquet
Hi Even, Nicolas,

Can you tell us what it is about exactly about proj4 documentation in OSGeo live ?

Regards,
Julien.

Please see below help that seeks volunteers to help maintaining proj.4 documentation in OSGeo-Live.

Even

Re: MetaCRS (was [OSGeo-Live] Proj4 documentation)

Martin Desruisseaux-3

Hello all

Le 31/05/2017 à 22:15, Even Rouault a écrit :

On jeudi 1 juin 2017 05:57:38 CEST Cameron Shorter wrote:

> Yes, MetaCRS was a project gathering all the Proj4 projects together.

Actually, when the MetaCRS list started, one of its goals was to create a test suite that could be used by any map projection library. We now have the Geospatial integrity of geoscience software (GIGS) tests for such purpose (http://www.iogp.org/Geomatics/#gigs), but a question could be whether there is interest in making those tests more readily runnable.

> However, it appears that proj4 is the only project in that grouping which is active?

I noticed that some activity happen on Proj4J outside this group, on at least one fork created by a user on GitHub.

- spatialreference.org: not maintained in years. http://epsg.io/ would be a possible replacement

Why not referencing the only official source instead, which is http://epsg-registry.org/ ? The non-conform definitions (because of difference in axis order and units of measurements) contribute to the confusion. If the intend is to be able to give a direct link to a specific EPSG code, this can also be done with the official registry with URL like below:

http://epsg-registry.org/?display=entity&urn=urn:ogc:def:crs:EPSG::27700

Regards,

Martin

Re: [Live-demo] Fwd: [OSGeo-Live] Proj4 documentation

Julien Moquet

>> It would be ok to say "Proj4 has been translated into other languages, including proj4js, ..."
> Agreed that metacrs is probably a bit too ..

I am fully agree too.

And as OsGeoLive aims to be multilanguages, I can help on the proj4 French Translation pages.

On jeudi 1 juin 2017 05:57:38 CEST Cameron Shorter wrote:

> Hi Evan,

> Yes, MetaCRS was a project gathering all the Proj4 projects together.

> However, it appears that proj4 is the only project in that grouping

> which is active?

> Hence my thoughts are that "MetaCRS" should be dropped from OSGeo-Live

> as a concept and "Proj4" be used instead. It would be ok to say "Proj4

> has been translated into other languages, including proj4js, ..."

> Your thoughts are welcome.

Regarding what is listed currently in metacrs :

- proj4js: no opinion

- cs-map: no-opinion

- geotiff/libgeotiff: heavily used underneath by GDAL in particular, mostly in maintaince mode, but can be treated as a technical dependency that doesn't require to be visible from users.

- proj4j: no opinion

- spatialreference.org: not maintained in years. http://epsg.io/ would be a possible replacement

Agreed that metacrs is probably a bit too ... meta for folks exploring OSGeo-Live content, so it could make sense exposing proj.4 as a standalone project.

http://www.spatialys.com