Fwd: [OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo welcomes 13 students for Google Summer of Code 2015

Fwd: [OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo welcomes 13 students for Google Summer of Code 2015

Mark Lucas
Congratulations Martina!

Begin forwarded message:

From: Margherita Di Leo <[hidden email]>
Subject: [OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo welcomes 13 students for Google Summer of Code 2015
Date: April 28, 2015 at 2:56:09 AM EDT
To: OSGeo Discussions <[hidden email]>, OSGeo-SoC <[hidden email]>

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Geospatial Community,

OSGeo is glad to welcome the 13 accepted students and their mentors for OSGeo GSoC 2015!

We received 37 proposals from a variety of geospatial projects. Despite the lower total number of proposals received compared to former years, the overall quality was high, so our choice has been a difficult task. Eventually we appointed the following proposals:

1) GDAL:  Faza Mahamood - Integration of GDAL utilities into GDAL core library
2) GRASS GIS: Matej Krejci - Improved Metadata for GRASS
3) gvSIG: Eva Rodríguez - Port Network Analysis Extension to gvSIG 2.x branch
4) istSOS: Ambrosini Luca - Scalability for Big data processing for istSOS
5) JGRASSTOOLS: Silvia Franceschi - Development of a simple 1D hydraulic model for JGRASSTOOLS
6) MapServer: Samuel Lapointe - Add productivity tools to MapServer's ScribeUI
7) Opticks: Tom Van den Eynde - Image Enhancement/Background Suppression for Opticks
8) OTP: Nipuna Gunathilake - GTFS-Realtime validation tool for Open Trip Planner
9) OSGeo-Live: Massimo Di Stefano - Integration of geospatial OSS in educational notebooks
10) OSSIM: Martina Di Rita - OSSIM tool for DSM generation using tri-stereo and SAR imagery
11) pgRouting: Sarthak Agarwal - New osm2pgrouting import tool to import OpenStreetMap(OSM)data in pgRouting
12) PyWPS: Calin Ciociu - REST interface for PyWPS 4
13) QGIS: Marcus Santos - Multithread support on QGIS Processing toolbox

Congratulations to all accepted students!

We are proud of the geographical variety of countries from which our students come from and live, including: Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, India, Italy, Luxemburg, Portugal, Spain and Sri Lanka.
The list of software projects includes OSGeo (official and incubating) and like-minded projects - let GSoC be a "gathering of tribes", an occasion to improve communication among all geospatial open source initiatives.

See the list of OSGeo accepted proposals also here:
We wish all students and mentors a great summer!

Madi and Anne
OSGeo GSoC Admins 2015

Dr. Margherita DI LEO
Scientific / technical project officer

European Commission - DG JRC
Via Fermi, 2749
I-21027 Ispra (VA) - Italy - TP 261

Tel. +39 0332 78 3600

Disclaimer: The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not in any circumstance be regarded as stating an official position of the European Commission.