Fwd: OSGeo Annual General Meeting - Local Chapters please join

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
21 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fwd: OSGeo Annual General Meeting - Local Chapters please join

jmckenna
Administrator
It would be great to have the Australia / New Zealand local chapter make
a brief report (2 slides) in Dar for the AGM (please signup on the wiki
page below).


-------- Forwarded Message --------

Dear OSGeo Local Chapters officers,

the OSGeo Annual General Meeting (AGM) is scheduled for Thursday morning
August 30 at 8:00-9:00 in Dar Es Salaam (Tansania).

As Local Chapters officers we ask that you attend, or send a delegate
from your community. The FOSS4G organizers have given us one hour for
the meeting, leaving us each with around 2 mins!

This update is about your community. We are interested in how your
community is doing, opportunities and challenges ahead, and how OSGeo
can help.

The shared slide deck is available here (request edit access if required):

*
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1imiG7x09ry7lGvmS15FCVq2Z7yaICY00fcpXBK27TXY/edit?usp=sharing

We are coordinating activities on the OSGeo Wiki
(https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Annual_General_Meeting_2018). Please add
your project and name to the wiki if you can attend.

Best regards

Astrid Emde (OSGeo Secretary)

--
-------------------------------------------------------------
Astrid Emde
OSGeo Board Member and OSGeo Secretary
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
https://www.osgeo.org/member/astrid-emde/
[hidden email]




_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [FOSS4G-Oceania] Fwd: Fwd: OSGeo Annual General Meeting - Local Chapters please join

adam steer-2
+1, I’ll be in Dar, happy to go to the AGM. Alex, we both have the tuesday free to throw together some slides :D

On 4 August 2018 at 08:42, Alex Leith <[hidden email]> wrote:
Well I’ll be there, so I can definitely attend.

On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 at 8:41 am, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:

Alex, FOSS4G-Oceania committee,

The Aust-NZ local chapter is limited to a mostly stagnant email list. I'd suggest that our FOSS4G-Oceania committee has effectively taken on the role of the Aust-NZ local chapter, and I reckon that anyone taking an active role in FOSS4G-Oceania and is going to the international FOSS4G would be a good person to present Aust-NZ OSGeo activities.

Anyone want to volunteer?


On 4/8/18 8:31 am, Alex Leith wrote:
Who is on the local chapter? Is it informal?

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2018 at 4:12 am
Subject: [Aust-NZ] Fwd: OSGeo Annual General Meeting - Local Chapters please join
To: <[hidden email]>


It would be great to have the Australia / New Zealand local chapter make
a brief report (2 slides) in Dar for the AGM (please signup on the wiki
page below).


-------- Forwarded Message --------

Dear OSGeo Local Chapters officers,

the OSGeo Annual General Meeting (AGM) is scheduled for Thursday morning
August 30 at 8:00-9:00 in Dar Es Salaam (Tansania).

As Local Chapters officers we ask that you attend, or send a delegate
from your community. The FOSS4G organizers have given us one hour for
the meeting, leaving us each with around 2 mins!

This update is about your community. We are interested in how your
community is doing, opportunities and challenges ahead, and how OSGeo
can help.

The shared slide deck is available here (request edit access if required):

*
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1imiG7x09ry7lGvmS15FCVq2Z7yaICY00fcpXBK27TXY/edit?usp=sharing

We are coordinating activities on the OSGeo Wiki
(https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Annual_General_Meeting_2018). Please add
your project and name to the wiki if you can attend.

Best regards

Astrid Emde (OSGeo Secretary)

--
-------------------------------------------------------------
Astrid Emde
OSGeo Board Member and OSGeo Secretary
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
https://www.osgeo.org/member/astrid-emde/
[hidden email]




_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz
--

Alex Leith
0419 189 050

-- 
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier
Open Technologies and Geospatial Consultant

M +61 (0) 419 142 254
--

Alex Leith
0419 189 050

_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g-oceania




--

_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [FOSS4G-Oceania] Fwd: Fwd: OSGeo Annual General Meeting - Local Chapters please join

John Bryant
Sounds great! Can't wait to hear how it goes. 

Perhaps, as Cameron suggests, this group has taken on the role of the Aust-NZ local chapter, and we should be considering taking steps to formalise this (post-conference?). What would be involved - does anyone know the answer to this question off the top of their head?

On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 at 10:59, Alex Leith <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok, well how about I respond and we can work on what we’re going to present later 😉
On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 at 8:55 am, adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1, I’ll be in Dar, happy to go to the AGM. Alex, we both have the tuesday free to throw together some slides :D

On 4 August 2018 at 08:42, Alex Leith <[hidden email]> wrote:
Well I’ll be there, so I can definitely attend.

On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 at 8:41 am, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:

Alex, FOSS4G-Oceania committee,

The Aust-NZ local chapter is limited to a mostly stagnant email list. I'd suggest that our FOSS4G-Oceania committee has effectively taken on the role of the Aust-NZ local chapter, and I reckon that anyone taking an active role in FOSS4G-Oceania and is going to the international FOSS4G would be a good person to present Aust-NZ OSGeo activities.

Anyone want to volunteer?


On 4/8/18 8:31 am, Alex Leith wrote:
Who is on the local chapter? Is it informal?

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2018 at 4:12 am
Subject: [Aust-NZ] Fwd: OSGeo Annual General Meeting - Local Chapters please join
To: <[hidden email]>


It would be great to have the Australia / New Zealand local chapter make
a brief report (2 slides) in Dar for the AGM (please signup on the wiki
page below).


-------- Forwarded Message --------

Dear OSGeo Local Chapters officers,

the OSGeo Annual General Meeting (AGM) is scheduled for Thursday morning
August 30 at 8:00-9:00 in Dar Es Salaam (Tansania).

As Local Chapters officers we ask that you attend, or send a delegate
from your community. The FOSS4G organizers have given us one hour for
the meeting, leaving us each with around 2 mins!

This update is about your community. We are interested in how your
community is doing, opportunities and challenges ahead, and how OSGeo
can help.

The shared slide deck is available here (request edit access if required):

*
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1imiG7x09ry7lGvmS15FCVq2Z7yaICY00fcpXBK27TXY/edit?usp=sharing

We are coordinating activities on the OSGeo Wiki
(https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Annual_General_Meeting_2018). Please add
your project and name to the wiki if you can attend.

Best regards

Astrid Emde (OSGeo Secretary)

--
-------------------------------------------------------------
Astrid Emde
OSGeo Board Member and OSGeo Secretary
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
https://www.osgeo.org/member/astrid-emde/
[hidden email]




_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz
--

Alex Leith
0419 189 050

-- 
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier
Open Technologies and Geospatial Consultant

M +61 (0) 419 142 254
--

Alex Leith
0419 189 050

_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g-oceania

--

Alex Leith
0419 189 050
_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g-oceania

_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fwd: OSGeo Annual General Meeting - Local Chapters please join

Alex Leith
In reply to this post by jmckenna
Hi Jeff

Myself and Adam Steer will attend on behalf of the FOSS4G AuNZ chapter.

I'll work out how to add our names to the wiki ;-)

Cheers,

On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 at 04:12 Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:
It would be great to have the Australia / New Zealand local chapter make
a brief report (2 slides) in Dar for the AGM (please signup on the wiki
page below).


-------- Forwarded Message --------

Dear OSGeo Local Chapters officers,

the OSGeo Annual General Meeting (AGM) is scheduled for Thursday morning
August 30 at 8:00-9:00 in Dar Es Salaam (Tansania).

As Local Chapters officers we ask that you attend, or send a delegate
from your community. The FOSS4G organizers have given us one hour for
the meeting, leaving us each with around 2 mins!

This update is about your community. We are interested in how your
community is doing, opportunities and challenges ahead, and how OSGeo
can help.

The shared slide deck is available here (request edit access if required):

*
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1imiG7x09ry7lGvmS15FCVq2Z7yaICY00fcpXBK27TXY/edit?usp=sharing

We are coordinating activities on the OSGeo Wiki
(https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Annual_General_Meeting_2018). Please add
your project and name to the wiki if you can attend.

Best regards

Astrid Emde (OSGeo Secretary)

--
-------------------------------------------------------------
Astrid Emde
OSGeo Board Member and OSGeo Secretary
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
https://www.osgeo.org/member/astrid-emde/
[hidden email]




_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz
--

Alex Leith
0419 189 050

_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fwd: OSGeo Annual General Meeting - Local Chapters please join

jmckenna
Administrator
Thank you Alex and Adam!

(also it's great to see initial discussions on formalizing the local
chapter, that's also a good topic in your report :)

-jeff



On 2018-08-04 9:13 PM, Alex Leith wrote:

> Hi Jeff
>
> Myself and Adam Steer will attend on behalf of the FOSS4G AuNZ chapter.
>
> I'll work out how to add our names to the wiki ;-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 at 04:12 Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     It would be great to have the Australia / New Zealand local chapter
>     make
>     a brief report (2 slides) in Dar for the AGM (please signup on the wiki
>     page below).
>
>
>     -------- Forwarded Message --------
>
>     Dear OSGeo Local Chapters officers,
>
>     the OSGeo Annual General Meeting (AGM) is scheduled for Thursday
>     morning
>     August 30 at 8:00-9:00 in Dar Es Salaam (Tansania).
>
>     As Local Chapters officers we ask that you attend, or send a delegate
>     from your community. The FOSS4G organizers have given us one hour for
>     the meeting, leaving us each with around 2 mins!
>
>     This update is about your community. We are interested in how your
>     community is doing, opportunities and challenges ahead, and how OSGeo
>     can help.
>
>     The shared slide deck is available here (request edit access if
>     required):
>
>     *
>     https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1imiG7x09ry7lGvmS15FCVq2Z7yaICY00fcpXBK27TXY/edit?usp=sharing
>
>     We are coordinating activities on the OSGeo Wiki
>     (https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Annual_General_Meeting_2018). Please add
>     your project and name to the wiki if you can attend.
>
>     Best regards
>
>     Astrid Emde (OSGeo Secretary)
>
>     --
>     -------------------------------------------------------------
>     Astrid Emde
>     OSGeo Board Member and OSGeo Secretary
>     Open Source Geospatial Foundation
>     https://www.osgeo.org/member/astrid-emde/
>     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>
>
>
_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fwd: OSGeo Annual General Meeting - Local Chapters please join

Brent Wood-2
Hi guys,

Just confirming that I'll be at FOSS4g 2018 in Dar es Salaam, so should be attending in person.
Brent


From: Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Sent: Monday, August 6, 2018 12:02 AM
Subject: Re: [Aust-NZ] Fwd: OSGeo Annual General Meeting - Local Chapters please join

Thank you Alex and Adam!

(also it's great to see initial discussions on formalizing the local
chapter, that's also a good topic in your report :)

-jeff



On 2018-08-04 9:13 PM, Alex Leith wrote:

> Hi Jeff
>
> Myself and Adam Steer will attend on behalf of the FOSS4G AuNZ chapter.
>
> I'll work out how to add our names to the wiki ;-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 at 04:12 Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>    It would be great to have the Australia / New Zealand local chapter
>    make
>    a brief report (2 slides) in Dar for the AGM (please signup on the wiki
>    page below).
>
>
>    -------- Forwarded Message --------
>
>    Dear OSGeo Local Chapters officers,
>
>    the OSGeo Annual General Meeting (AGM) is scheduled for Thursday
>    morning
>    August 30 at 8:00-9:00 in Dar Es Salaam (Tansania).
>
>    As Local Chapters officers we ask that you attend, or send a delegate
>    from your community. The FOSS4G organizers have given us one hour for
>    the meeting, leaving us each with around 2 mins!
>
>    This update is about your community. We are interested in how your
>    community is doing, opportunities and challenges ahead, and how OSGeo
>    can help.
>
>    The shared slide deck is available here (request edit access if
>    required):
>
>    *
>    https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1imiG7x09ry7lGvmS15FCVq2Z7yaICY00fcpXBK27TXY/edit?usp=sharing
>
>    We are coordinating activities on the OSGeo Wiki
>    (https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Annual_General_Meeting_2018). Please add
>    your project and name to the wiki if you can attend.
>
>    Best regards
>
>    Astrid Emde (OSGeo Secretary)
>
>    --
>    -------------------------------------------------------------
>    Astrid Emde
>    OSGeo Board Member and OSGeo Secretary
>    Open Source Geospatial Foundation
>    https://www.osgeo.org/member/astrid-emde/
>    [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

>
>
>
_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz



_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fwd: OSGeo Annual General Meeting - Local Chapters please join

Bruce Bannerman-3
In reply to this post by jmckenna
Hi everyone,

I don’t see the need to establish another local chapter for AustNZ.

We already have one. Let’s just start using it.

Regarding formalising the local chapter, we did look at that several years ago. However when you look at the personal liability that office holder’s will have to shoulder, you may find that it is not that attractive.

@Jeff,

Would the parent OSGeo office holder’s insurance also cover local chapters?

Cheers,

Bruce


> On 5 Aug 2018, at 22:02, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thank you Alex and Adam!
>
> (also it's great to see initial discussions on formalizing the local chapter, that's also a good topic in your report :)
>
> -jeff
>
>
>
>> On 2018-08-04 9:13 PM, Alex Leith wrote:
>> Hi Jeff
>> Myself and Adam Steer will attend on behalf of the FOSS4G AuNZ chapter.
>> I'll work out how to add our names to the wiki ;-)
>> Cheers,
>> On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 at 04:12 Jeff McKenna <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>    It would be great to have the Australia / New Zealand local chapter
>>    make
>>    a brief report (2 slides) in Dar for the AGM (please signup on the wiki
>>    page below).
>>    -------- Forwarded Message --------
>>    Dear OSGeo Local Chapters officers,
>>    the OSGeo Annual General Meeting (AGM) is scheduled for Thursday
>>    morning
>>    August 30 at 8:00-9:00 in Dar Es Salaam (Tansania).
>>    As Local Chapters officers we ask that you attend, or send a delegate
>>    from your community. The FOSS4G organizers have given us one hour for
>>    the meeting, leaving us each with around 2 mins!
>>    This update is about your community. We are interested in how your
>>    community is doing, opportunities and challenges ahead, and how OSGeo
>>    can help.
>>    The shared slide deck is available here (request edit access if
>>    required):
>>    *
>>    https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1imiG7x09ry7lGvmS15FCVq2Z7yaICY00fcpXBK27TXY/edit?usp=sharing
>>    We are coordinating activities on the OSGeo Wiki
>>    (https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Annual_General_Meeting_2018). Please add
>>    your project and name to the wiki if you can attend.
>>    Best regards
>>    Astrid Emde (OSGeo Secretary)
>>    --     -------------------------------------------------------------
>>    Astrid Emde
>>    OSGeo Board Member and OSGeo Secretary
>>    Open Source Geospatial Foundation
>>    https://www.osgeo.org/member/astrid-emde/
>>    [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> _______________________________________________
> Aust-NZ mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz
_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fwd: OSGeo Annual General Meeting - Local Chapters please join

dwsilk
> On 7 Aug 2018, at 19:56, Bruce Bannerman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I don’t see the need to establish another local chapter for AustNZ.
>
> We already have one. Let’s just start using it.


I don't think anyone is suggesting establishing a competing local chapter.. simply revisiting what "using it" actually means.

There is a lot of energy and enthusiasm behind the FOSS4G SotM Oceania event in Melbourne. If we just pull together a conference committee every year to continue to organise this event, and that's it, then I think that's great.

However the conference does provide an opportunity to discuss the way forward and just how structured or unstructured we should be about it. I'm sure there are plenty of great ideas out there on how we can continue the momentum throughout our region.

Cheers
Daniel

________________________________

This message contains information, which may be in confidence and may be subject to legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately (Phone 0800 665 463 or [hidden email]) and destroy the original message. LINZ accepts no responsibility for changes to this email, or for any attachments, after its transmission from LINZ. Thank You.
_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fwd: OSGeo Annual General Meeting - Local Chapters please join

Alex Leith
Hi All

I agree with Daniel. We have a really strong committee working on FOSS4G SotM Oceania, and I would love at the very least for that to continue, with different chairs/chair next year, and for there to be another conference organised in 2019. I'll certainly help on the next committee.

Regarding formalisation, we need to look at it carefully. Yes, there's potential liability and a fair bit of overhead in setting it all up, but it's work looking at still, even if it does turn out to be too hard for now.

Regarding the AustNZ chapter, I'll be in Tanzania and would be happy to represent, but if that's inappropriate, then I'm happy to step aside.

Cheers,

Alex

On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 at 19:22 Daniel Silk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 7 Aug 2018, at 19:56, Bruce Bannerman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I don’t see the need to establish another local chapter for AustNZ.
>
> We already have one. Let’s just start using it.


I don't think anyone is suggesting establishing a competing local chapter.. simply revisiting what "using it" actually means.

There is a lot of energy and enthusiasm behind the FOSS4G SotM Oceania event in Melbourne. If we just pull together a conference committee every year to continue to organise this event, and that's it, then I think that's great.

However the conference does provide an opportunity to discuss the way forward and just how structured or unstructured we should be about it. I'm sure there are plenty of great ideas out there on how we can continue the momentum throughout our region.

Cheers
Daniel

________________________________

This message contains information, which may be in confidence and may be subject to legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately (Phone 0800 665 463 or [hidden email]) and destroy the original message. LINZ accepts no responsibility for changes to this email, or for any attachments, after its transmission from LINZ. Thank You.
_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz
--

Alex Leith
0419 189 050

_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fwd: OSGeo Annual General Meeting - Local Chapters please join

adam steer-2
hey all

I’ve also put myself down as an AustNZ representative in Tanzania. 

Immediate pros of formalising that I can see: independence, the ability to run future conferences without needing a financial backer, clarity around whos got what bucket of funding and why

cons: liability and a lot of messing around if we want to remove liability from individuals which run the chapter; lots of messing around in case of collapse

*note this is my somewhat limited view, and may inadvertently be repeating many years of previous dscussion

I’m on the steering committee for Earth Observation Australia - I’ll happily pass on lessons learned as that community interest group moves toward a formal legal entity.

…and I’m certain that others in this group have plenty of experience wrangling the setup of not-for-profit organisations. Bruce and Cameron have likely discussed this to death, back to zombie status, perhaps a glimmer of life and into hibernation.. where we come in :D

What about we organise a BoF in November and discuss - post-Tanzania and perhaps with some answers to questions, especially around liabilities.

Cheers

Adam




On 8 August 2018 at 08:04, Alex Leith <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All

I agree with Daniel. We have a really strong committee working on FOSS4G SotM Oceania, and I would love at the very least for that to continue, with different chairs/chair next year, and for there to be another conference organised in 2019. I'll certainly help on the next committee.

Regarding formalisation, we need to look at it carefully. Yes, there's potential liability and a fair bit of overhead in setting it all up, but it's work looking at still, even if it does turn out to be too hard for now.

Regarding the AustNZ chapter, I'll be in Tanzania and would be happy to represent, but if that's inappropriate, then I'm happy to step aside.

Cheers,

Alex

On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 at 19:22 Daniel Silk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 7 Aug 2018, at 19:56, Bruce Bannerman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I don’t see the need to establish another local chapter for AustNZ.
>
> We already have one. Let’s just start using it.


I don't think anyone is suggesting establishing a competing local chapter.. simply revisiting what "using it" actually means.

There is a lot of energy and enthusiasm behind the FOSS4G SotM Oceania event in Melbourne. If we just pull together a conference committee every year to continue to organise this event, and that's it, then I think that's great.

However the conference does provide an opportunity to discuss the way forward and just how structured or unstructured we should be about it. I'm sure there are plenty of great ideas out there on how we can continue the momentum throughout our region.

Cheers
Daniel

________________________________

This message contains information, which may be in confidence and may be subject to legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately (Phone 0800 665 463 or [hidden email]) and destroy the original message. LINZ accepts no responsibility for changes to this email, or for any attachments, after its transmission from LINZ. Thank You.
_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz
--

Alex Leith
0419 189 050

_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz



--

_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fwd: OSGeo Annual General Meeting - Local Chapters please join

Alex Leith
Yeah, a meeting post-conference is probably a good idea. Perhaps on Friday, after the heavy lifting is over.

On Wed, 8 Aug 2018 at 09:23 adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:
hey all

I’ve also put myself down as an AustNZ representative in Tanzania. 

Immediate pros of formalising that I can see: independence, the ability to run future conferences without needing a financial backer, clarity around whos got what bucket of funding and why

cons: liability and a lot of messing around if we want to remove liability from individuals which run the chapter; lots of messing around in case of collapse

*note this is my somewhat limited view, and may inadvertently be repeating many years of previous dscussion

I’m on the steering committee for Earth Observation Australia - I’ll happily pass on lessons learned as that community interest group moves toward a formal legal entity.

…and I’m certain that others in this group have plenty of experience wrangling the setup of not-for-profit organisations. Bruce and Cameron have likely discussed this to death, back to zombie status, perhaps a glimmer of life and into hibernation.. where we come in :D

What about we organise a BoF in November and discuss - post-Tanzania and perhaps with some answers to questions, especially around liabilities.

Cheers

Adam




On 8 August 2018 at 08:04, Alex Leith <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All

I agree with Daniel. We have a really strong committee working on FOSS4G SotM Oceania, and I would love at the very least for that to continue, with different chairs/chair next year, and for there to be another conference organised in 2019. I'll certainly help on the next committee.

Regarding formalisation, we need to look at it carefully. Yes, there's potential liability and a fair bit of overhead in setting it all up, but it's work looking at still, even if it does turn out to be too hard for now.

Regarding the AustNZ chapter, I'll be in Tanzania and would be happy to represent, but if that's inappropriate, then I'm happy to step aside.

Cheers,

Alex

On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 at 19:22 Daniel Silk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 7 Aug 2018, at 19:56, Bruce Bannerman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I don’t see the need to establish another local chapter for AustNZ.
>
> We already have one. Let’s just start using it.


I don't think anyone is suggesting establishing a competing local chapter.. simply revisiting what "using it" actually means.

There is a lot of energy and enthusiasm behind the FOSS4G SotM Oceania event in Melbourne. If we just pull together a conference committee every year to continue to organise this event, and that's it, then I think that's great.

However the conference does provide an opportunity to discuss the way forward and just how structured or unstructured we should be about it. I'm sure there are plenty of great ideas out there on how we can continue the momentum throughout our region.

Cheers
Daniel

________________________________

This message contains information, which may be in confidence and may be subject to legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately (Phone 0800 665 463 or [hidden email]) and destroy the original message. LINZ accepts no responsibility for changes to this email, or for any attachments, after its transmission from LINZ. Thank You.
_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz
--

Alex Leith
0419 189 050

_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz



--
http://orcid.org/0000-0003-0046-7236
<a href="tel:+61%20427%20091%20712" value="+61427091712" target="_blank">+61 427 091 712
skype: adam.d.steer
tweet: @adamdsteer
--

Alex Leith
0419 189 050

_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fwd: OSGeo Annual General Meeting - Local Chapters please join

Bruce Bannerman-3
In reply to this post by Alex Leith
The work on FOSS4G SotM Oceania is great to see. I personally would love to see it continue, with events rotated around the region.

However a note of caution from experience: 

  • We found after organising FOSS4G-2009 that we also had a great organising team and generated considerable momentum.
  • However, this significant two year effort was difficult to sustain and resulted in volunteer ‘burn out' for many of the LOC.
  • It was also difficult to sustain the level of volunteerism support from the organisations that people worked in, particularly with their work responsibilities.
  • In my case and others as well I suspect, there was also the need to balance limited volunteer time between various international communities, and the local community. 

Therefore, I suggest that we follow the OSGeo model and have seperate bodies for the Local Chapter and the Conference Committees to allow people to balance their volunteer time as their personal situation, interests and supporting organisation allow.

We may well find that we have the same people in leadership roles on both.

What we do need to do is to establish and maintain an open process for people to be able to contribute to, and assume leadership roles in either the Local Chapter, or the various conference committees. We also need a process to refresh these leadership roles routinely. The International OSGeo has processes that we can utilise and adapt as appropriate.

To me, this is probably a higher priority that revisiting any formalisation of the Local Chapter as a legal entity. 

I have no objections to establishing this legal entity, however we do need to have a clear understanding of the consequences, risks and benefits of doing so. 

We also need to understand who has the right to establish this entity and manage it as a representative of OSGeo-AustNZ. We also need to understand how we will replace this person/people/organisation when appropriate, and what process we have to force the change in the unlikely event that the person/people/organisation refuses to cede control of the legal entity in line with OSGeo-AustNZ community expectations.

It will take time to work through these issues.

@Alex and Adam,

It is good to see you both step up to represent OSGeo-AustNZ at FOSS4G-2018.

Kind regards,

Bruce


On 8 Aug 2018, at 08:04, Alex Leith <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi All

I agree with Daniel. We have a really strong committee working on FOSS4G SotM Oceania, and I would love at the very least for that to continue, with different chairs/chair next year, and for there to be another conference organised in 2019. I'll certainly help on the next committee.

Regarding formalisation, we need to look at it carefully. Yes, there's potential liability and a fair bit of overhead in setting it all up, but it's work looking at still, even if it does turn out to be too hard for now.

Regarding the AustNZ chapter, I'll be in Tanzania and would be happy to represent, but if that's inappropriate, then I'm happy to step aside.

Cheers,

Alex

On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 at 19:22 Daniel Silk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 7 Aug 2018, at 19:56, Bruce Bannerman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I don’t see the need to establish another local chapter for AustNZ.
>
> We already have one. Let’s just start using it.


I don't think anyone is suggesting establishing a competing local chapter.. simply revisiting what "using it" actually means.

There is a lot of energy and enthusiasm behind the FOSS4G SotM Oceania event in Melbourne. If we just pull together a conference committee every year to continue to organise this event, and that's it, then I think that's great.

However the conference does provide an opportunity to discuss the way forward and just how structured or unstructured we should be about it. I'm sure there are plenty of great ideas out there on how we can continue the momentum throughout our region.

Cheers
Daniel

________________________________

This message contains information, which may be in confidence and may be subject to legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately (Phone 0800 665 463 or [hidden email]) and destroy the original message. LINZ accepts no responsibility for changes to this email, or for any attachments, after its transmission from LINZ. Thank You.
_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz
--

Alex Leith
0419 189 050


_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fwd: OSGeo Annual General Meeting - Local Chapters please join

Brent Wood-2
In reply to this post by Alex Leith
+1 to Aus/NZ BOF at FOSS4G 2018

I'm booked at Ramada Encore... where are other Australasians staying?
Brent


From: Alex Leith <[hidden email]>
To: adam steer <[hidden email]>
Cc: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 8, 2018 11:39 AM
Subject: Re: [Aust-NZ] Fwd: OSGeo Annual General Meeting - Local Chapters please join

Yeah, a meeting post-conference is probably a good idea. Perhaps on Friday, after the heavy lifting is over.

On Wed, 8 Aug 2018 at 09:23 adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:
hey all

I’ve also put myself down as an AustNZ representative in Tanzania. 

Immediate pros of formalising that I can see: independence, the ability to run future conferences without needing a financial backer, clarity around whos got what bucket of funding and why

cons: liability and a lot of messing around if we want to remove liability from individuals which run the chapter; lots of messing around in case of collapse

*note this is my somewhat limited view, and may inadvertently be repeating many years of previous dscussion

I’m on the steering committee for Earth Observation Australia - I’ll happily pass on lessons learned as that community interest group moves toward a formal legal entity.

…and I’m certain that others in this group have plenty of experience wrangling the setup of not-for-profit organisations. Bruce and Cameron have likely discussed this to death, back to zombie status, perhaps a glimmer of life and into hibernation.. where we come in :D

What about we organise a BoF in November and discuss - post-Tanzania and perhaps with some answers to questions, especially around liabilities.

Cheers

Adam




On 8 August 2018 at 08:04, Alex Leith <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All

I agree with Daniel. We have a really strong committee working on FOSS4G SotM Oceania, and I would love at the very least for that to continue, with different chairs/chair next year, and for there to be another conference organised in 2019. I'll certainly help on the next committee.

Regarding formalisation, we need to look at it carefully. Yes, there's potential liability and a fair bit of overhead in setting it all up, but it's work looking at still, even if it does turn out to be too hard for now.

Regarding the AustNZ chapter, I'll be in Tanzania and would be happy to represent, but if that's inappropriate, then I'm happy to step aside.

Cheers,

Alex

On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 at 19:22 Daniel Silk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 7 Aug 2018, at 19:56, Bruce Bannerman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I don’t see the need to establish another local chapter for AustNZ.
>
> We already have one. Let’s just start using it.


I don't think anyone is suggesting establishing a competing local chapter.. simply revisiting what "using it" actually means.

There is a lot of energy and enthusiasm behind the FOSS4G SotM Oceania event in Melbourne. If we just pull together a conference committee every year to continue to organise this event, and that's it, then I think that's great.

However the conference does provide an opportunity to discuss the way forward and just how structured or unstructured we should be about it. I'm sure there are plenty of great ideas out there on how we can continue the momentum throughout our region.

Cheers
Daniel

________________________________

This message contains information, which may be in confidence and may be subject to legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately (Phone 0800 665 463 or [hidden email]) and destroy the original message. LINZ accepts no responsibility for changes to this email, or for any attachments, after its transmission from LINZ. Thank You.
_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz
--

Alex Leith
0419 189 050

_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz



--
--

Alex Leith
0419 189 050
_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz



_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fwd: OSGeo Annual General Meeting - Local Chapters please join

Alex Leith
Sorry Brent, we were referring to after the FOSS4G SotM Oceania in November.

Some of us are meeting up on Tuesday night in Dar, if you want to join us?

On Wed, 8 Aug 2018 at 12:48 Brent Wood <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 to Aus/NZ BOF at FOSS4G 2018

I'm booked at Ramada Encore... where are other Australasians staying?
Brent


From: Alex Leith <[hidden email]>
To: adam steer <[hidden email]>
Cc: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 8, 2018 11:39 AM
Subject: Re: [Aust-NZ] Fwd: OSGeo Annual General Meeting - Local Chapters please join

Yeah, a meeting post-conference is probably a good idea. Perhaps on Friday, after the heavy lifting is over.

On Wed, 8 Aug 2018 at 09:23 adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:
hey all

I’ve also put myself down as an AustNZ representative in Tanzania. 

Immediate pros of formalising that I can see: independence, the ability to run future conferences without needing a financial backer, clarity around whos got what bucket of funding and why

cons: liability and a lot of messing around if we want to remove liability from individuals which run the chapter; lots of messing around in case of collapse

*note this is my somewhat limited view, and may inadvertently be repeating many years of previous dscussion

I’m on the steering committee for Earth Observation Australia - I’ll happily pass on lessons learned as that community interest group moves toward a formal legal entity.

…and I’m certain that others in this group have plenty of experience wrangling the setup of not-for-profit organisations. Bruce and Cameron have likely discussed this to death, back to zombie status, perhaps a glimmer of life and into hibernation.. where we come in :D

What about we organise a BoF in November and discuss - post-Tanzania and perhaps with some answers to questions, especially around liabilities.

Cheers

Adam




On 8 August 2018 at 08:04, Alex Leith <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All

I agree with Daniel. We have a really strong committee working on FOSS4G SotM Oceania, and I would love at the very least for that to continue, with different chairs/chair next year, and for there to be another conference organised in 2019. I'll certainly help on the next committee.

Regarding formalisation, we need to look at it carefully. Yes, there's potential liability and a fair bit of overhead in setting it all up, but it's work looking at still, even if it does turn out to be too hard for now.

Regarding the AustNZ chapter, I'll be in Tanzania and would be happy to represent, but if that's inappropriate, then I'm happy to step aside.

Cheers,

Alex

On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 at 19:22 Daniel Silk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 7 Aug 2018, at 19:56, Bruce Bannerman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I don’t see the need to establish another local chapter for AustNZ.
>
> We already have one. Let’s just start using it.


I don't think anyone is suggesting establishing a competing local chapter.. simply revisiting what "using it" actually means.

There is a lot of energy and enthusiasm behind the FOSS4G SotM Oceania event in Melbourne. If we just pull together a conference committee every year to continue to organise this event, and that's it, then I think that's great.

However the conference does provide an opportunity to discuss the way forward and just how structured or unstructured we should be about it. I'm sure there are plenty of great ideas out there on how we can continue the momentum throughout our region.

Cheers
Daniel

________________________________

This message contains information, which may be in confidence and may be subject to legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately (Phone 0800 665 463 or [hidden email]) and destroy the original message. LINZ accepts no responsibility for changes to this email, or for any attachments, after its transmission from LINZ. Thank You.
_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz
--

Alex Leith
0419 189 050

_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz



--
--

Alex Leith
0419 189 050
_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz


--

Alex Leith
0419 189 050

_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fwd: OSGeo Annual General Meeting - Local Chapters please join

adam steer-2
We could also do a BoF in Dar. I’m at the Chelsea hotel - bit further from the venue, but really not far.

On 8 August 2018 at 13:35, Alex Leith <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sorry Brent, we were referring to after the FOSS4G SotM Oceania in November.

Some of us are meeting up on Tuesday night in Dar, if you want to join us?

On Wed, 8 Aug 2018 at 12:48 Brent Wood <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 to Aus/NZ BOF at FOSS4G 2018

I'm booked at Ramada Encore... where are other Australasians staying?
Brent


From: Alex Leith <[hidden email]>
To: adam steer <[hidden email]>
Cc: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 8, 2018 11:39 AM
Subject: Re: [Aust-NZ] Fwd: OSGeo Annual General Meeting - Local Chapters please join

Yeah, a meeting post-conference is probably a good idea. Perhaps on Friday, after the heavy lifting is over.

On Wed, 8 Aug 2018 at 09:23 adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:
hey all

I’ve also put myself down as an AustNZ representative in Tanzania. 

Immediate pros of formalising that I can see: independence, the ability to run future conferences without needing a financial backer, clarity around whos got what bucket of funding and why

cons: liability and a lot of messing around if we want to remove liability from individuals which run the chapter; lots of messing around in case of collapse

*note this is my somewhat limited view, and may inadvertently be repeating many years of previous dscussion

I’m on the steering committee for Earth Observation Australia - I’ll happily pass on lessons learned as that community interest group moves toward a formal legal entity.

…and I’m certain that others in this group have plenty of experience wrangling the setup of not-for-profit organisations. Bruce and Cameron have likely discussed this to death, back to zombie status, perhaps a glimmer of life and into hibernation.. where we come in :D

What about we organise a BoF in November and discuss - post-Tanzania and perhaps with some answers to questions, especially around liabilities.

Cheers

Adam




On 8 August 2018 at 08:04, Alex Leith <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All

I agree with Daniel. We have a really strong committee working on FOSS4G SotM Oceania, and I would love at the very least for that to continue, with different chairs/chair next year, and for there to be another conference organised in 2019. I'll certainly help on the next committee.

Regarding formalisation, we need to look at it carefully. Yes, there's potential liability and a fair bit of overhead in setting it all up, but it's work looking at still, even if it does turn out to be too hard for now.

Regarding the AustNZ chapter, I'll be in Tanzania and would be happy to represent, but if that's inappropriate, then I'm happy to step aside.

Cheers,

Alex

On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 at 19:22 Daniel Silk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 7 Aug 2018, at 19:56, Bruce Bannerman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I don’t see the need to establish another local chapter for AustNZ.
>
> We already have one. Let’s just start using it.


I don't think anyone is suggesting establishing a competing local chapter.. simply revisiting what "using it" actually means.

There is a lot of energy and enthusiasm behind the FOSS4G SotM Oceania event in Melbourne. If we just pull together a conference committee every year to continue to organise this event, and that's it, then I think that's great.

However the conference does provide an opportunity to discuss the way forward and just how structured or unstructured we should be about it. I'm sure there are plenty of great ideas out there on how we can continue the momentum throughout our region.

Cheers
Daniel

________________________________

This message contains information, which may be in confidence and may be subject to legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately (Phone 0800 665 463 or [hidden email]) and destroy the original message. LINZ accepts no responsibility for changes to this email, or for any attachments, after its transmission from LINZ. Thank You.
_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz
--

Alex Leith
0419 189 050

_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz



--
--

Alex Leith
0419 189 050
_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz


--

Alex Leith
0419 189 050



--

_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fwd: OSGeo Annual General Meeting - Local Chapters please join

jody.garnett
In reply to this post by Bruce Bannerman-3
Local chapters have been setup... at arms length in each region, often under the local laws, in order to be more effective in any advocacy work they wish to do at the national or state level. Some have been able to set up tax-exempt status which is a bonus.

To enable this "arms length" relationship none of the local chapters are directly represented as officers in the global organization, so liability insurance would not apply. Recently the osgeo-europe chapter requested a donation to explore the liability issues involved in setup, and make sure their organization was starting off with the correct structure to operate in the region. I am sure we could arrange similar support if requested. 

--
Jody Garnett


On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 at 00:56, Bruce Bannerman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everyone,

I don’t see the need to establish another local chapter for AustNZ.

We already have one. Let’s just start using it.

Regarding formalising the local chapter, we did look at that several years ago. However when you look at the personal liability that office holder’s will have to shoulder, you may find that it is not that attractive.

@Jeff,

Would the parent OSGeo office holder’s insurance also cover local chapters?

Cheers,

Bruce


> On 5 Aug 2018, at 22:02, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thank you Alex and Adam!
>
> (also it's great to see initial discussions on formalizing the local chapter, that's also a good topic in your report :)
>
> -jeff
>
>
>
>> On 2018-08-04 9:13 PM, Alex Leith wrote:
>> Hi Jeff
>> Myself and Adam Steer will attend on behalf of the FOSS4G AuNZ chapter.
>> I'll work out how to add our names to the wiki ;-)
>> Cheers,
>> On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 at 04:12 Jeff McKenna <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>    It would be great to have the Australia / New Zealand local chapter
>>    make
>>    a brief report (2 slides) in Dar for the AGM (please signup on the wiki
>>    page below).
>>    -------- Forwarded Message --------
>>    Dear OSGeo Local Chapters officers,
>>    the OSGeo Annual General Meeting (AGM) is scheduled for Thursday
>>    morning
>>    August 30 at 8:00-9:00 in Dar Es Salaam (Tansania).
>>    As Local Chapters officers we ask that you attend, or send a delegate
>>    from your community. The FOSS4G organizers have given us one hour for
>>    the meeting, leaving us each with around 2 mins!
>>    This update is about your community. We are interested in how your
>>    community is doing, opportunities and challenges ahead, and how OSGeo
>>    can help.
>>    The shared slide deck is available here (request edit access if
>>    required):
>>    *
>>    https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1imiG7x09ry7lGvmS15FCVq2Z7yaICY00fcpXBK27TXY/edit?usp=sharing
>>    We are coordinating activities on the OSGeo Wiki
>>    (https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Annual_General_Meeting_2018). Please add
>>    your project and name to the wiki if you can attend.
>>    Best regards
>>    Astrid Emde (OSGeo Secretary)
>>    --     -------------------------------------------------------------
>>    Astrid Emde
>>    OSGeo Board Member and OSGeo Secretary
>>    Open Source Geospatial Foundation
>>    https://www.osgeo.org/member/astrid-emde/
>>    [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> _______________________________________________
> Aust-NZ mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz
_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz

_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fwd: OSGeo Annual General Meeting - Local Chapters please join

Bruce Bannerman-3
Many thanks for the advice Jody.

Bruce

> On 9 Aug 2018, at 8:31 am, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Local chapters have been setup... at arms length in each region, often under the local laws, in order to be more effective in any advocacy work they wish to do at the national or state level. Some have been able to set up tax-exempt status which is a bonus.
>
> To enable this "arms length" relationship none of the local chapters are directly represented as officers in the global organization, so liability insurance would not apply. Recently the osgeo-europe chapter requested a donation to explore the liability issues involved in setup, and make sure their organization was starting off with the correct structure to operate in the region. I am sure we could arrange similar support if requested.
>
> --
> Jody Garnett
>
>
> On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 at 00:56, Bruce Bannerman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I don’t see the need to establish another local chapter for AustNZ.
>
> We already have one. Let’s just start using it.
>
> Regarding formalising the local chapter, we did look at that several years ago. However when you look at the personal liability that office holder’s will have to shoulder, you may find that it is not that attractive.
>
> @Jeff,
>
> Would the parent OSGeo office holder’s insurance also cover local chapters?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bruce
>
>
> > On 5 Aug 2018, at 22:02, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Thank you Alex and Adam!
> >
> > (also it's great to see initial discussions on formalizing the local chapter, that's also a good topic in your report :)
> >
> > -jeff
> >
> >
> >
> >> On 2018-08-04 9:13 PM, Alex Leith wrote:
> >> Hi Jeff
> >> Myself and Adam Steer will attend on behalf of the FOSS4G AuNZ chapter.
> >> I'll work out how to add our names to the wiki ;-)
> >> Cheers,
> >> On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 at 04:12 Jeff McKenna <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> >>    It would be great to have the Australia / New Zealand local chapter
> >>    make
> >>    a brief report (2 slides) in Dar for the AGM (please signup on the wiki
> >>    page below).
> >>    -------- Forwarded Message --------
> >>    Dear OSGeo Local Chapters officers,
> >>    the OSGeo Annual General Meeting (AGM) is scheduled for Thursday
> >>    morning
> >>    August 30 at 8:00-9:00 in Dar Es Salaam (Tansania).
> >>    As Local Chapters officers we ask that you attend, or send a delegate
> >>    from your community. The FOSS4G organizers have given us one hour for
> >>    the meeting, leaving us each with around 2 mins!
> >>    This update is about your community. We are interested in how your
> >>    community is doing, opportunities and challenges ahead, and how OSGeo
> >>    can help.
> >>    The shared slide deck is available here (request edit access if
> >>    required):
> >>    *
> >>    https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1imiG7x09ry7lGvmS15FCVq2Z7yaICY00fcpXBK27TXY/edit?usp=sharing
> >>    We are coordinating activities on the OSGeo Wiki
> >>    (https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Annual_General_Meeting_2018). Please add
> >>    your project and name to the wiki if you can attend.
> >>    Best regards
> >>    Astrid Emde (OSGeo Secretary)
> >>    --     -------------------------------------------------------------
> >>    Astrid Emde
> >>    OSGeo Board Member and OSGeo Secretary
> >>    Open Source Geospatial Foundation
> >>    https://www.osgeo.org/member/astrid-emde/
> >>    [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> > _______________________________________________
> > Aust-NZ mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz
> _______________________________________________
> Aust-NZ mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz

_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fwd: OSGeo Annual General Meeting - Local Chapters please join

Brent Wood-2
In reply to this post by jody.garnett
Liability also kicks in (potentially in a big way) with any events/meetings, etc organised by local chapters, not just for the day to day chapter operation, I'm not sure what has been arranged for the Melbourne conference, but liabilities & legal issues will vary by country (& state).

We had some discussions about giving the AUS/NZ group some legal status for FOSS4G 2009... As I recall, it seemed at the time that this was more straightforward & cheaper in NZ or West Australia... but we did not require it or follow it up - pragmatism ruled :-)

One option we did discuss was generic (global) liability cover for local chapters through OSGEO. Again, never really followed up.

Cheers

Brent Wood



From: Jody Garnett <[hidden email]>
To: Bruce Bannerman <[hidden email]>
Cc: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Sent: Thursday, August 9, 2018 10:34 AM
Subject: Re: [Aust-NZ] Fwd: OSGeo Annual General Meeting - Local Chapters please join

Local chapters have been setup... at arms length in each region, often under the local laws, in order to be more effective in any advocacy work they wish to do at the national or state level. Some have been able to set up tax-exempt status which is a bonus.

To enable this "arms length" relationship none of the local chapters are directly represented as officers in the global organization, so liability insurance would not apply. Recently the osgeo-europe chapter requested a donation to explore the liability issues involved in setup, and make sure their organization was starting off with the correct structure to operate in the region. I am sure we could arrange similar support if requested. 

--
Jody Garnett


On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 at 00:56, Bruce Bannerman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everyone,

I don’t see the need to establish another local chapter for AustNZ.

We already have one. Let’s just start using it.

Regarding formalising the local chapter, we did look at that several years ago. However when you look at the personal liability that office holder’s will have to shoulder, you may find that it is not that attractive.

@Jeff,

Would the parent OSGeo office holder’s insurance also cover local chapters?

Cheers,

Bruce


> On 5 Aug 2018, at 22:02, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thank you Alex and Adam!
>
> (also it's great to see initial discussions on formalizing the local chapter, that's also a good topic in your report :)
>
> -jeff
>
>
>
>> On 2018-08-04 9:13 PM, Alex Leith wrote:
>> Hi Jeff
>> Myself and Adam Steer will attend on behalf of the FOSS4G AuNZ chapter.
>> I'll work out how to add our names to the wiki ;-)
>> Cheers,
>> On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 at 04:12 Jeff McKenna <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>    It would be great to have the Australia / New Zealand local chapter
>>    make
>>    a brief report (2 slides) in Dar for the AGM (please signup on the wiki
>>    page below).
>>    -------- Forwarded Message --------
>>    Dear OSGeo Local Chapters officers,
>>    the OSGeo Annual General Meeting (AGM) is scheduled for Thursday
>>    morning
>>    August 30 at 8:00-9:00 in Dar Es Salaam (Tansania).
>>    As Local Chapters officers we ask that you attend, or send a delegate
>>    from your community. The FOSS4G organizers have given us one hour for
>>    the meeting, leaving us each with around 2 mins!
>>    This update is about your community. We are interested in how your
>>    community is doing, opportunities and challenges ahead, and how OSGeo
>>    can help.
>>    The shared slide deck is available here (request edit access if
>>    required):
>>    *
>>    https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1imiG7x09ry7lGvmS15FCVq2Z7yaICY00fcpXBK27TXY/edit?usp=sharing
>>    We are coordinating activities on the OSGeo Wiki
>>    (https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Annual_General_Meeting_2018). Please add
>>    your project and name to the wiki if you can attend.
>>    Best regards
>>    Astrid Emde (OSGeo Secretary)
>>    --     -------------------------------------------------------------
>>    Astrid Emde
>>    OSGeo Board Member and OSGeo Secretary
>>    Open Source Geospatial Foundation
>>    https://www.osgeo.org/member/astrid-emde/
>>    [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> _______________________________________________
> Aust-NZ mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz
_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz
_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz



_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fwd: OSGeo Annual General Meeting - Local Chapters please join

jmckenna
Administrator
In reply to this post by Bruce Bannerman-3
@Bruce,

Regarding OSGeo's "Directors & Officers Liability Insurance", this would
apply to the officers of OSGeo (these are mostly OSGeo committee chairs
and OSGeo project chairs, plus the Board), but does not include OSGeo
local chapters.  Local chapters as you know do have an "OSGeo
Representative" person to report to the OSGeo Board, but, the insurance
you refer to does not cover that person.

It could be an interesting change to add each official OSGeo local
chapter representative as an officer of OSGeo (a change that I would
support).

But I hope this answers your direct question.


-jeff



On 2018-08-07 4:56 AM, Bruce Bannerman wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I don’t see the need to establish another local chapter for AustNZ.
>
> We already have one. Let’s just start using it.
>
> Regarding formalising the local chapter, we did look at that several years ago. However when you look at the personal liability that office holder’s will have to shoulder, you may find that it is not that attractive.
>
> @Jeff,
>
> Would the parent OSGeo office holder’s insurance also cover local chapters?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bruce
>
>
>> On 5 Aug 2018, at 22:02, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thank you Alex and Adam!
>>
>> (also it's great to see initial discussions on formalizing the local chapter, that's also a good topic in your report :)
>>
>> -jeff
>>
>>
>>
>>> On 2018-08-04 9:13 PM, Alex Leith wrote:
>>> Hi Jeff
>>> Myself and Adam Steer will attend on behalf of the FOSS4G AuNZ chapter.
>>> I'll work out how to add our names to the wiki ;-)
>>> Cheers,
>>> On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 at 04:12 Jeff McKenna <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>     It would be great to have the Australia / New Zealand local chapter
>>>     make
>>>     a brief report (2 slides) in Dar for the AGM (please signup on the wiki
>>>     page below).
>>>     -------- Forwarded Message --------
>>>     Dear OSGeo Local Chapters officers,
>>>     the OSGeo Annual General Meeting (AGM) is scheduled for Thursday
>>>     morning
>>>     August 30 at 8:00-9:00 in Dar Es Salaam (Tansania).
>>>     As Local Chapters officers we ask that you attend, or send a delegate
>>>     from your community. The FOSS4G organizers have given us one hour for
>>>     the meeting, leaving us each with around 2 mins!
>>>     This update is about your community. We are interested in how your
>>>     community is doing, opportunities and challenges ahead, and how OSGeo
>>>     can help.
>>>     The shared slide deck is available here (request edit access if
>>>     required):
>>>     *
>>>     https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1imiG7x09ry7lGvmS15FCVq2Z7yaICY00fcpXBK27TXY/edit?usp=sharing
>>>     We are coordinating activities on the OSGeo Wiki
>>>     (https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Annual_General_Meeting_2018). Please add
>>>     your project and name to the wiki if you can attend.
>>>     Best regards
>>>     Astrid Emde (OSGeo Secretary)
>>>     --     -------------------------------------------------------------
>>>     Astrid Emde
>>>     OSGeo Board Member and OSGeo Secretary
>>>     Open Source Geospatial Foundation
>>>     https://www.osgeo.org/member/astrid-emde/
>>>     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>
_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fwd: OSGeo Annual General Meeting - Local Chapters please join

Bruce Bannerman-3
Many thanks for your response Jeff.

Noting that I’m not a lawyer, and this is just an educated guess:

I suspect that the parent OSGeo’s insurance may not cover a situation where a representative of a Local Chapter legal entity had a liability.

I think that Jody’s suggestion of seeking appropriate advice is really required here.

Kind regards,

Bruce


> On 9 Aug 2018, at 10:04, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> @Bruce,
>
> Regarding OSGeo's "Directors & Officers Liability Insurance", this would apply to the officers of OSGeo (these are mostly OSGeo committee chairs and OSGeo project chairs, plus the Board), but does not include OSGeo local chapters.  Local chapters as you know do have an "OSGeo Representative" person to report to the OSGeo Board, but, the insurance you refer to does not cover that person.
>
> It could be an interesting change to add each official OSGeo local chapter representative as an officer of OSGeo (a change that I would support).
>
> But I hope this answers your direct question.
>
>
> -jeff
>
>
>
> On 2018-08-07 4:56 AM, Bruce Bannerman wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>> I don’t see the need to establish another local chapter for AustNZ.
>> We already have one. Let’s just start using it.
>> Regarding formalising the local chapter, we did look at that several years ago. However when you look at the personal liability that office holder’s will have to shoulder, you may find that it is not that attractive.
>> @Jeff,
>> Would the parent OSGeo office holder’s insurance also cover local chapters?
>> Cheers,
>> Bruce
>>> On 5 Aug 2018, at 22:02, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thank you Alex and Adam!
>>>
>>> (also it's great to see initial discussions on formalizing the local chapter, that's also a good topic in your report :)
>>>
>>> -jeff
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>> On 2018-08-04 9:13 PM, Alex Leith wrote:
>>>> Hi Jeff
>>>> Myself and Adam Steer will attend on behalf of the FOSS4G AuNZ chapter.
>>>> I'll work out how to add our names to the wiki ;-)
>>>> Cheers,
>>>> On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 at 04:12 Jeff McKenna <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>>    It would be great to have the Australia / New Zealand local chapter
>>>>    make
>>>>    a brief report (2 slides) in Dar for the AGM (please signup on the wiki
>>>>    page below).
>>>>    -------- Forwarded Message --------
>>>>    Dear OSGeo Local Chapters officers,
>>>>    the OSGeo Annual General Meeting (AGM) is scheduled for Thursday
>>>>    morning
>>>>    August 30 at 8:00-9:00 in Dar Es Salaam (Tansania).
>>>>    As Local Chapters officers we ask that you attend, or send a delegate
>>>>    from your community. The FOSS4G organizers have given us one hour for
>>>>    the meeting, leaving us each with around 2 mins!
>>>>    This update is about your community. We are interested in how your
>>>>    community is doing, opportunities and challenges ahead, and how OSGeo
>>>>    can help.
>>>>    The shared slide deck is available here (request edit access if
>>>>    required):
>>>>    *
>>>>    https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1imiG7x09ry7lGvmS15FCVq2Z7yaICY00fcpXBK27TXY/edit?usp=sharing
>>>>    We are coordinating activities on the OSGeo Wiki
>>>>    (https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Annual_General_Meeting_2018). Please add
>>>>    your project and name to the wiki if you can attend.
>>>>    Best regards
>>>>    Astrid Emde (OSGeo Secretary)
>>>>    --     -------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>    Astrid Emde
>>>>    OSGeo Board Member and OSGeo Secretary
>>>>    Open Source Geospatial Foundation
>>>>    https://www.osgeo.org/member/astrid-emde/
>>>>    [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> _______________________________________________
> Aust-NZ mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz

_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz
12