Fwd: Now Offering QGIS Support

Richard Duivenvoorde

FYI

Regards,

Richard

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Now Offering QGIS Support
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 15:17:50 +0000
From: John Perozok <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email] <[hidden email]>

Hello there,

My name is John Perozok, and I work for MuniSight, a small GIS company
that works with small urban and rural Canadian municipalities. We are
very excited to now be supporting QGIS and would like to be included on
this list:
https://www.qgis.org/en/site/forusers/commercial_support.html. How can
we go about doing this?

For reference here is our recent blog post announcing QGIS support:
https://www.munisight.com/single-post/MuniSight-now-supports-QGIS.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best,

*John Perozok*
Marketing Coordinator
MuniSight Ltd.

Main: 1.855.898.6864

E-mail: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Website:  www.munisight.com <http://www.munisight.com>

Support: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

780.464.4658

Re: Fwd: Now Offering QGIS Support

Andreas Neumann-3
Hi,

I just got a very similar request about being added to the commercial support providers, from a german company I never heard about.

I guess we will get more such requests over time.

I don't know what to reply and would like to get some guidance, in order to treat such requests equally.

Personally, I think, it would be good to list such companies. There is still this notion that there is a lack of support companies (at least in some regions or countries) for QGIS. If we could point to such a list where in every country there are some support providers, such false claims (lack of support) can be countered.

However, I agree with all of you, that there should be a clear distinction to what a company does for QGIS (core contributor, contributor, sustaining member, etc.) For the last one, we already have a list.

Should we tell companies who want to be added to QGIS, that we want to have some sort of contribution to the project first? E.g. contributing to the project (coding, translating, documentation, etc.) or becoming a sustaining member before we would list them?

It would also feel strange, to list companies that no-one in the community knows - who knows what their expertise around QGIS really is?

The whole discussion is a bit similar to the discussion about training certificates. We need some sort of reviewing process, before we add such a company to our list of commercial support providers. Or at least get the recommendation from a local QGIS user group.

Thoughts?

Greetings,
Andreas

On Wed, 27 Mar 2019 at 22:36, Richard Duivenvoorde <[hidden email]> wrote:

FYI

Regards,

Richard

[...]

Andreas Neumann
QGIS.ORG board member (treasurer)

Re: Fwd: Now Offering QGIS Support

pcav
Hi all,
I believe we should be more strict. Listing unknown companies will appear as an endorsement, and can do is more harm than good.
Perhaps we could add a sentence like "Many more companies offer QGIS support, probably also in your country. Search the web for a list."
Cheers.

Il 28 marzo 2019 07:46:39 CET, Andreas Neumann <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
[...]

Sorry for being short

Re: Fwd: Now Offering QGIS Support

Andreas Neumann-3
hm - I don't know if this is really satisfactory and useful for our users.

I am more in line with Nyalls proposal that we should do a more structured table where we list about the services offered by a company.

A company that we don't know and asks to be added: there we should probably ask the local community about their opinion. In the case of the german company that asks to be listed - they had been recommended by the german user group and the company is also a member and supporter of the german  user group. Just I, personally, don't know them. I don think this should be an exclusion criteria for being listed on the commercial support provider list.

Sorry for being a pain here. But I think it deserves a more thorough discussion rather than just saying we don't list them.

Andreas

On Thu, 28 Mar 2019 at 08:01, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Anita Graser
Il 28 marzo 2019 07:46:39 CET, Andreas Neumann <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
Personally, I think, it would be good to list such companies. There is still this notion that there is a lack of support companies (at least in some regions or countries) for QGIS. If we could point to such a list where in every country there are some support providers, such false claims (lack of support) can be countered.

+1 Anita

Re: Fwd: Now Offering QGIS Support

Michał Drożdż
What about two lists? First one is a list of "trusted" companies (like in case of certificates) and the second one is for 'everyone'.

On Thu, 28 Mar 2019 at 08:43, Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:
Il 28 marzo 2019 07:46:39 CET, Andreas Neumann <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
Personally, I think, it would be good to list such companies. There is still this notion that there is a lack of support companies (at least in some regions or countries) for QGIS. If we could point to such a list where in every country there are some support providers, such false claims (lack of support) can be countered.

+1 Anita

Michał Drożdż

Dyrektor Zarządzający, CEO

tel: +48 888 200 115