[Fwd: Introducing OpenLayers v1.0]

Chris Holmes-2
Hey all, thought you might be interested in a new wms/wfs client.  I'm a
big fan of it, and have mentioned it several times already, but they
just reached 1.0 so thought I'd send the info along.

You can see a demo I threw together with GeoServer + Squid + OpenLayers
at: http://geo.openplans.org/cholmes/ol-cache.html

In areas that someone else has already viewed it should be blazing fast,
as it's automatically cached by squid.  Since OpenLayers requests tiles
from WMS directly, in the same way every time, simply standing squid in
front of GeoServer turns it in to a tiling engine similar to Google Maps.

The other thing I love about OpenLayers is that it's great to use as a
developer.  After Google Maps hit a number of projects rushed to
replicate the ajax feel.  But that missed what was actually most
exciting about google maps for me - that it became super easy for anyone
to make their own map.

OpenLayers extends that ease, but takes it even more open, allows for
even more innovation in mixing and mashing the map.  It uses standard
SLD, so a client could specify a different way to view the map.  And I
hope they get WFS-T support some time, so that users can edit the base
map.

Anyways, I'll stop rambling, but it's a great piece of technology.  Read
on for details on where to get it.