Fwd: I: Two initiatives potentially worth your attention

Fwd: I: Two initiatives potentially worth your attention

jmckenna
Administrator

Re: Fwd: I: Two initiatives potentially worth your attention

jmckenna
Administrator
Hi Paolo,

I have seen some offline messages about this from you, but in the
interest of being open (and hopefully involving other OSGeo service
providers) can you share your ideas and thoughts here on the Industry
list?

You had mentioned that you think that the OSGeo Board should handle
this, but I'd like to hear your reasons for this (and share your reasons
here with the other service providers).

thanks,

-jeff

> [...]

pcav
Hi Jeff,

thanks for this. I'm not saying Osgeo should manage this, it just seems
natural that it is the umbrella organization who participates. Of course
we (QGIS project) ara available and interested to cooperate.

If you are not interested, please let us know, and we'll evaluate how to
proceed.

Thanks again.

All the best.

Il 09/11/2018 06:21 PM, Jeff McKenna ha scritto:

> Hi Paolo,
>
> I have seen some offline messages about this from you, but in the
> interest of being open (and hopefully involving other OSGeo service
> providers) can you share your ideas and thoughts here on the Industry
> list?
>
> You had mentioned that you think that the OSGeo Board should handle
> this, but I'd like to hear your reasons for this (and share your
> reasons here with the other service providers).
>
> thanks,
>
> -jeff
>

> On 2018-09-07 2:19 PM, Jeff McKenna wrote:

Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: Fwd: I: Two initiatives potentially worth your attention

jmckenna
Administrator
Hi Paolo,

You have hinted offlist that I am not interested or OSGeo is not
interested; I am a keynote at FOSS4G-Brazil right now, so I can't be as
online as I should be, but, if I am not responding please do not take it
that "OSGeo" is not interested in this initiative.  Like anything, it
needs a champion/volunteer, to push and make sure that OSGeo is represented.

I think the next step is for someone to make a request on the OSGeo
Board list to have the OSGeo foundation provide funding for a WGIC
membership.  I personally think this is definitely within OSGeo's
mission (to help make sure all OSGeo service providers are represented).

Best wishes from Sao Paulo aiport,

-jeff

On 2018-09-12 2:23 AM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> thanks for this. I'm not saying Osgeo should manage this, it just seems
> natural that it is the umbrella organization who participates. Of course
> we (QGIS project) ara available and interested to cooperate.
>
> If you are not interested, please let us know, and we'll evaluate how to
> proceed.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> All the best.
>

> Il 09/11/2018 06:21 PM, Jeff McKenna ha scritto:
>> Hi Paolo,
>>
>> I have seen some offline messages about this from you, but in the
>> interest of being open (and hopefully involving other OSGeo service
>> providers) can you share your ideas and thoughts here on the Industry
>> list?
>>
>> You had mentioned that you think that the OSGeo Board should handle
>> this, but I'd like to hear your reasons for this (and share your
>> reasons here with the other service providers).
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> -jeff
>>

>> On 2018-09-07 2:19 PM, Jeff McKenna wrote:

Jeff McKenna
https://gatewaygeomatics.com/

Re: Fwd: I: Two initiatives potentially worth your attention

pcav
thanks Jeff for clarifying.

I'm available to work on this if that helps.

All the best.

Il 09/15/2018 05:50 PM, Jeff McKenna ha scritto:

> Hi Paolo,
>
> You have hinted offlist that I am not interested or OSGeo is not
> interested; I am a keynote at FOSS4G-Brazil right now, so I can't be
> as online as I should be, but, if I am not responding please do not
> take it that "OSGeo" is not interested in this initiative.  Like
> anything, it needs a champion/volunteer, to push and make sure that
> OSGeo is represented.
>
> I think the next step is for someone to make a request on the OSGeo
> Board list to have the OSGeo foundation provide funding for a WGIC
> membership.  I personally think this is definitely within OSGeo's
> mission (to help make sure all OSGeo service providers are represented).
>
> Best wishes from Sao Paulo aiport,
>
> -jeff
>

> On 2018-09-12 2:23 AM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
>> Hi Jeff,
>>
>> thanks for this. I'm not saying Osgeo should manage this, it just seems
>> natural that it is the umbrella organization who participates. Of course
>> we (QGIS project) ara available and interested to cooperate.
>>
>> If you are not interested, please let us know, and we'll evaluate how to
>> proceed.
>>
>> Thanks again.
>>
>> All the best.
>>

>> Il 09/11/2018 06:21 PM, Jeff McKenna ha scritto:
>>> Hi Paolo,
>>>
>>> I have seen some offline messages about this from you, but in the
>>> interest of being open (and hopefully involving other OSGeo service
>>> providers) can you share your ideas and thoughts here on the Industry
>>> list?
>>>
>>> You had mentioned that you think that the OSGeo Board should handle
>>> this, but I'd like to hear your reasons for this (and share your
>>> reasons here with the other service providers).
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>>
>>> -jeff

How about we both as a team tackle this together, draft an email to the
board, and sign it together (sort of like co-chairs of a new
initiative).  It actually would be my honour to work together with you
on this.   -jeff

On 2018-09-15 12:59 PM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:

> thanks Jeff for clarifying.
>
> I'm available to work on this if that helps.
>
> All the best.
>

> Il 09/15/2018 05:50 PM, Jeff McKenna ha scritto:
>> Hi Paolo,
>>
>> You have hinted offlist that I am not interested or OSGeo is not
>> interested; I am a keynote at FOSS4G-Brazil right now, so I can't be
>> as online as I should be, but, if I am not responding please do not
>> take it that "OSGeo" is not interested in this initiative.  Like
>> anything, it needs a champion/volunteer, to push and make sure that
>> OSGeo is represented.
>>
>> I think the next step is for someone to make a request on the OSGeo
>> Board list to have the OSGeo foundation provide funding for a WGIC
>> membership.  I personally think this is definitely within OSGeo's
>> mission (to help make sure all OSGeo service providers are represented).
>>
>> Best wishes from Sao Paulo aiport,
>>
>> -jeff
>>

>> On 2018-09-12 2:23 AM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
>>> Hi Jeff,
>>>
>>> thanks for this. I'm not saying Osgeo should manage this, it just seems
>>> natural that it is the umbrella organization who participates. Of course
>>> we (QGIS project) ara available and interested to cooperate.
>>>
>>> If you are not interested, please let us know, and we'll evaluate how to
>>> proceed.
>>>
>>> Thanks again.
>>>
>>> All the best.

don't joke, the honour is mine.

fine for me to write it together, thanks.