Fwd: Charter member nomination: Gretchen Peterson

Fwd: Charter member nomination: Gretchen Peterson

Vasile Crăciunescu
Forwarding Gretchen Peterson nomination by Sara Safavi. The 2017 member
nominations list will be updated ASAP [1].

Best regards,
Vasile & Jeff
2017 OSGeo Elections CROs

[...]

Codrina
I second this nomination!

Cheers,
Codrina

On 31/08/2017 03:25, Andy Anderson wrote:

> +1!!
>
> — Andy
>
>> On Aug 30, 2017, at 8:10 PM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> I would like to second the nomination.
>>
>> --
>> Jody Garnett
>>
>> On 30 August 2017 at 16:24, Vasile Craciunescu <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     Forwarding Gretchen Peterson nomination by Sara Safavi. The 2017
>>     member nominations list will be updated ASAP [1].
>>
>>     Best regards,
>>     Vasile & Jeff
>>     2017 OSGeo Elections CROs
>>
>>     [1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/New_Member_Nominations_2017
>>     <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/New_Member_Nominations_2017>

K.Bott
[pardon the delay, catching up on email as the school year starts up...]

+1 this nomination.

-kbott

On 30 August 2017 at 16:24, Vasile Craciunescu <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

    Forwarding Gretchen Peterson nomination by Sara Safavi. The 2017
    member nominations list will be updated ASAP [1].

    Best regards,
    Vasile & Jeff
    2017 OSGeo Elections CROs

    <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/New_Member_Nominations_2017>

Re: Fwd: Charter member nomination: Gretchen Peterson

Kevin Smith-3
+1

Re: Fwd: Charter member nomination: Gretchen Peterson

jody.garnett
Additional information, since I did not provide any reasons for my support.

Gretchen has done wonders for open source advocacy and outreach, her blog posts and twitter activity reach and inspire so many. She is also a supportive member of our community helping out with the recent website/rebranding most notably with the cartography employed for the website and style guide.

--
Jody Garnett

On 30 August 2017 at 17:10, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Additional details behind my +1 (was asked to explain why I seconded...)

I think that Gretchen has done a significant amount of work in public-facing cartography / education and making both beautiful and effective maps more accessible to folks outside of the usual / stock audiences for such things (through: books she's written, blog posts, Twitter, etc).

And, since part of the call for charter members involves diversity... to continue singing the same old song (see Aleda Freeman nomination +1 follow-up; Tina Cormier nomination +1 follow-up) I don't believe that the list of Charter Members is representative of the user community of OSGeo projects; I believe we're skewed on a couple of demographic axes. One of those is gender. Let's work on that.

Can provide more/additional justification/rationale/input/thoughts as needed; let me know.

cheers -
-k.bott