Fwd: Charter Member nomination: Aleda Freeman

Fwd: Charter Member nomination: Aleda Freeman

jmckenna
Administrator
Forwarding Aleda Freeman nomination by Sara Safavi. The 2017 member
nominations list has been updated [1].

Best regards,
Vasile & Jeff
2017 OSGeo Elections CROs

Re: Fwd: Charter Member nomination: Aleda Freeman

Andy Anderson-3
I second the nomination!

— Andy

> On Sep 5, 2017, at 12:56 PM, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Forwarding Aleda Freeman nomination by Sara Safavi. The 2017 member nominations list has been updated [1].
>
> Best regards,
> Vasile & Jeff
> 2017 OSGeo Elections CROs
>
> [1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/New_Member_Nominations_2017

K.Bott
[pardon the delay, catching up on email as the school year starts up...]

+1 this nomination.

-kbott

On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 10:40 AM, Andy Anderson <[hidden email]> wrote:
I second the nomination!

— Andy

> On Sep 5, 2017, at 12:56 PM, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Forwarding Aleda Freeman nomination by Sara Safavi. The 2017 member nominations list has been updated [1].
>
> Best regards,
> Vasile & Jeff
> 2017 OSGeo Elections CROs
>
> [1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/New_Member_Nominations_2017

Kevin Smith-3
+1

On 2017-09-07 08:45 AM, Kristin Bott wrote:
[pardon the delay, catching up on email as the school year starts up...]

+1 this nomination.

-kbott

On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 10:40 AM, Andy Anderson <[hidden email]> wrote:
I second the nomination!

— Andy

> On Sep 5, 2017, at 12:56 PM, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Forwarding Aleda Freeman nomination by Sara Safavi. The 2017 member nominations list has been updated [1].
>
> Best regards,
> Vasile & Jeff
> 2017 OSGeo Elections CROs
>
> [1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/New_Member_Nominations_2017

Kevin Michael Smith

Re: Fwd: Charter Member nomination: Aleda Freeman

K.Bott
Hi, all --

I was asked to back up my second-ing of Aleda's nomination with a bit more information, so. Doing that -- although I believe that Sara's testimonial is more than sufficient to attest to Aledas "support and promot[ion] of the use of free and open source geospatial software..."  and references her contributions to the use of FOSS in geospatial work. (list of "Positive attributes", below)

As a member of the 2017 FOSS4G (B)LOC, Aleda has most certainly "put in time and effort on the Foundation... volunteering in some ... way that gets the Foundation going"  and in doing so has demonstrated her dedication to the goals of OSGeo and her ability to work as part of a collaborative, hardworking team. Within the context of FOSS4G 2017, I think Aleda did a commendable job coordinating events, people, and logistics; given how active she has been in the open source geospatial community leading up to the conference, I believe that Aleda is very likely to continue in her work in support of open source geospatial efforts.

On promoting diversity: I don't believe that the list of Charter Members is representative of the user community of OSGeo projects; I believe we're skewed on a couple of demographic axes. One of those is gender. Let's work on that.

If I can provide additional information / opinions, let know -- happy to do so.

cheers -
-k.bott

Recommended membership selection criteria include:
  • Members should believe in the general goals of the Foundation. To support and promote the use of free and open source geospatial software, education and data in a collaborative manner.
  • Previous participation in or support of OSGeo activities
  • The person should already have made a contribution to free and open source geospatial software, education or open data.
  • The person should be willing to put in time and effort on the Foundation, perhaps joining committee(s), or volunteering in some other way that gets the Foundation going.
  • Members should be prepared to work constructively and positively towards the goals of the Foundation. Good teamwork skills are an asset.
Membership nominations should strive to promote diversity:
  • Nominate members representing a diversity of geographic regions, diversity of projects, diversity of programming languages.
  • Nominate members representing and diversity of interests (e.g., corporate, hobbyist, educational, scientific).
  • Nominate members representing a diversity of humanity including gender and race