Fwd: Charter Member Nomination: Tina Cormier

Fwd: Charter Member Nomination: Tina Cormier

jmckenna
Administrator
Forwarding Tina Cormier nomination by Alex Mandel. The 2017 member
nominations list was updated [1].

Best regards,
Vasile & Jeff
2017 OSGeo Elections CROs

Re: Charter Member Nomination: Tina Cormier

Andy Anderson-3
I second the nomination!

— Andy

> On Sep 7, 2017, at 6:53 AM, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Forwarding Tina Cormier nomination by Alex Mandel. The 2017 member nominations list was updated [1].
>
> Best regards,
> Vasile & Jeff
> 2017 OSGeo Elections CROs
>
> [1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/New_Member_Nominations_2017

Maelle Vercauteren
+1 for Tina Cormier.
Best, Maë//e

--
Maëlle VERCAUTEREN DRUBBEL
Coordinatrice du stage SIG Libres ARES

Université Libre de Bruxelles -
IGEAT (CP 130 / 03)

Campus du Solbosch
Av. F. D. Roosevelt, 50
B-1050 Bruxelles
Tél.: 02/650.68.14 Fax: 02/650.50.92 Local: DB6.143

I second the nomination!

— Andy

> On Sep 7, 2017, at 6:53 AM, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Forwarding Tina Cormier nomination by Alex Mandel. The 2017 member nominations list was updated [1].
>
> Best regards,
> Vasile & Jeff
> 2017 OSGeo Elections CROs
>
> [1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/New_Member_Nominations_2017

K.Bott
+1 for Tina

-kbott

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 5:17 AM, Maelle Vercauteren <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 for Tina Cormier.
Best, Maë//e

--
Maëlle VERCAUTEREN DRUBBEL
Coordinatrice du stage SIG Libres ARES

Université Libre de Bruxelles -
IGEAT (CP 130 / 03)

Campus du Solbosch
Av. F. D. Roosevelt, 50
B-1050 Bruxelles
Tél.: 02/650.68.14 Fax: 02/650.50.92 Local: DB6.143

I second the nomination!

— Andy

> On Sep 7, 2017, at 6:53 AM, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Forwarding Tina Cormier nomination by Alex Mandel. The 2017 member nominations list was updated [1].
>
> Best regards,
> Vasile & Jeff
> 2017 OSGeo Elections CROs
>
> [1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/New_Member_Nominations_2017

geomenke
+1 for Tina Cormier!

**************************

Kurt Menke, GISP
Bird’s Eye View
3016 Santa Clara Ave SE
Albuquerque, NM 87106

www.BirdsEyeViewGIS.com

Cell: 505-362-1776
Work: 505-265-0243
Fax: 505-265-0243

Discover QGIS

https://locatepress.com/dqw

Mastering QGIS
https://www.packtpub.com/big-data-and-business-intelligence/mastering-qgis-second-edition

Re: Fwd: Charter Member Nomination: Tina Cormier

K.Bott
All --

I've been asked to provide further details on my +1. Again, positive attributes below for your reference.

I was also impressed by Tina's involvement in this year's FOSS4G; I feel that her numerous contributions at the conference (talks, workshop) work speaks to her dedication to open source approaches and making those approaches accessible to users. Notably, as R continues to grow in popularity within the data/science community as an analytical platform, I believe that OSGeo stands to gain if the community is able to be conversant with R in addition to the other platforms/languages with which folks might already be familiar. (I believe this plus Alex's nomination speaks to Tina's fit under the "positive attributes" of "support[ing] and promot[ing] the use of free and open source geospatial software, education, and data..." as well as "participation in or support of OSGeo activities"

As to diversity, I believe that Tina's proficiency in R (in addition to many other open source platforms) is a mark in her favor. And, to continue singing the same old song (see Aleda Freeman nomination +1 follow-up) I don't believe that the list of Charter Members is representative of the user community of OSGeo projects; I believe we're skewed on a couple of demographic axes. One of those is gender. Let's work on that.

Further discussion / opinions / information needed, let me know.

cheers -
k.bott

Recommended membership selection criteria include:
  • Members should believe in the general goals of the Foundation. To support and promote the use of free and open source geospatial software, education and data in a collaborative manner.
  • Previous participation in or support of OSGeo activities
  • The person should already have made a contribution to free and open source geospatial software, education or open data.
  • The person should be willing to put in time and effort on the Foundation, perhaps joining committee(s), or volunteering in some other way that gets the Foundation going.
  • Members should be prepared to work constructively and positively towards the goals of the Foundation. Good teamwork skills are an asset.
Membership nominations should strive to promote diversity:
  • Nominate members representing a diversity of geographic regions, diversity of projects, diversity of programming languages.
  • Nominate members representing and diversity of interests (e.g., corporate, hobbyist, educational, scientific).
  • Nominate members representing a diversity of humanity including gender and race