Quantcast

Fwd: Budgeting project event support for 2017

Fwd: Budgeting project event support for 2017

jmckenna
Administrator
Forwarding to GeoMOOSE PSC...

Re: Fwd: Budgeting project event support for 2017

James Klassen-2
Someone else please take this.

This looks like a great opportunity but I am too swamped with work right now to give it the attention it requires.

On Dec 16, 2016 10:10, "Jeff McKenna" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Forwarding to GeoMOOSE PSC...

It is this time of the year, OSGeo is looking forward to 2017. Over the previous years, OSGeo has been proud to support a growing number of project events, such as code sprints, developer meetings, and user conferences.

To plan for next year, the OSGeo board is reaching out to all committees, including PSCs. We would like to ask you to help us with proposals for you planned event support requests for 2017. This information will help us to set aside a realistic amount of funds.

Please join GRASS, QGIS, Geoserver, and the ZOO-Project and send me your requests or add them to the budget draft yourself at:

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2017#Draft_2017_Budget

ideally until Monday Dec, 19th.

Thank you and best wishes,

Anita Graser
OSGeo Board

Re: Fwd: Budgeting project event support for 2017

Dan Little-2
I can spearhead this a bit and try to do what I can.  I too am swamped
but have some GM time reserved for this afternoon.

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 10:15 AM, James Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Someone else please take this.
>
> This looks like a great opportunity but I am too swamped with work right now
> to give it the attention it requires.
>
> On Dec 16, 2016 10:10, "Jeff McKenna" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Forwarding to GeoMOOSE PSC...

blammo
All,

Well I am supposed to be the OSGeo contact for GeoMOOSE.

I had thought about asking based on expected participation in conferences, event.  But maybe that’s the wrong approach.  I think our outreach needs the most invigoration.

We could just list out things like:

  • Attend three conferences during the year (in one form or another, maybe it’s a workshop)
  • Conduct a sprint or two.
  • Provide for installation media.

Then just apply a multiplier to each of the above to come up with some sort of supportable amount to ask for.

Thoughts?

bobb

On Dec 16, 2016, at 10:20 AM, Dan Little <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

"I'm not interested in preserving the status quo; I want to overthrow it.”
-  Niccolo Machiavelli

Re: Budgeting project event support for 2017

blammo
In the interest of moving the idea along, here is a cursory list of stuff that we could ask for funding of, reply with edits as you see fit:

  • Attend Conferences either independently as the GeoMOOSE project or participate/partner with other projects, like MapServer for example in attending local, regional conferences.  Basically anyone that wanted to organizing something we could request seed money for implementing.
  • Seed funding for use in matching grants/funding of project.  50/50 split of seed money along with contribution from outside interests in the project.
  • Funding for out reach efforts.
    • for putting together OSGeo-LIVE USBs,
    • for putting on workshops
    • for augmenting the help files with educational packages for K-12 and College/Univ. programs.

Other thought/ideas?

bobb

On Dec 16, 2016, at 10:32 AM, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) <[hidden email]> wrote:

This sender failed our fraud detection checks and may not be who they appear to be. Learn about spoofing Feedback
[...]

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.”
-  Abraham Lincoln

Re: Budgeting project event support for 2017

Eli Adam
On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 10:38 AM, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul)
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> In the interest of moving the idea along, here is a cursory list of stuff that we could ask for funding of, reply with edits as you see fit:
>
> Attend Conferences either independently as the GeoMOOSE project or participate/partner with other projects, like MapServer for example in attending local, regional conferences.  Basically anyone that wanted to organizing something we could request seed money for implementing.
> Seed funding for use in matching grants/funding of project.  50/50 split of seed money along with contribution from outside interests in the project.
> Funding for out reach efforts.
>
> for putting together OSGeo-LIVE USBs,
> for putting on workshops
> for augmenting the help files with educational packages for K-12 and College/Univ. programs.
>

> Other thought/ideas?

I don't have any specific OSGeo funding thoughts or feedback.  I'll
leave it to others who are interested.

Thanks for leading.

Best regards, Eli