Fwd: Board nomination: Jeff McKenna

123

Re: Board nomination: Jeff McKenna

nicolas bozon
Dear Cameron,

I appreciate the time and effort you have put into framing questions and remarks for Jeff, although that sounds rather unusual in a Board nomination thread.

As a Charter Member nominating Jeff, I thought that bygones were bygones when we honored him with the prestigious Sol Katz award at FOSS4G 2016. The thunderous applause from one and all present at the Bundeshaus on August 27th 2016 still rings in my ears. And I think none in our community would have missed the passion that emanated from Jeff in his short acceptance speech, but also the continued  effort he has silently put in helping the Foundation since then.

Whishing all candidates a great campain and election.

Best regards,

Nick

Le mercredi 11 octobre 2017, Steven Feldman <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Jeff

I agree with Cameron, I think the charter members are entitled to an explanation as to why you resigned from the board twice in the middle of a period of service.

I, for one, would like to understand the basis on which we can be assured that if you are elected for a third time the pattern of resignation will not be repeated

Regards
______
Steven

On 9 Oct 2017, at 21:42, Cameron Shorter <<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;cameron.shorter@gmail.com&#39;);" target="_blank">cameron.shorter@...> wrote:

Jeff,

I've had a number of people correct me to note that you have resigned twice from the board. Also from the conference committee and FOSS4G mentoring role as the global FOSS4G China was facing very hard decisions based on low registration numbers.

Resignation from board in 2015: https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/board/2015-December/008820.html

Resignation from board and conference committee in 2012: https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/board/2012-February/004544.html

Stepping back from mentoring FOSS4G China: https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/board/2012-January/004514.html

Lessons Learned from FOSS4G China: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2012_Lessons_Learned

On 9/10/17 10:01 pm, Cameron Shorter wrote:

Jeff,

While I agree with others that you have been very enthusiastic toward OSGeo ideals, I'm also believe that there are some unanswered questions which should be addressed.

In particular, a while back you stepped down from the OSGeo Board mid-term, while you were in the position of OSGeo president. I don't think a public explanation was provided, but I was aware that there was some passionate discussion happening in public email lists at the time.

If you are considering sitting on the board again, I think an explanation should be provided.

Regards, Cameron

--
Cameron Shorter
Open Technologies Consultant

M +61 (0) 419 142 254
http://shorter.net

Re: Board nomination: Jeff McKenna

tosseto
I also support the second nomination of Jeff McKenna.

He think important to friendship with all OSGeo communities, because I am proud of his philosophy.

I think, this thread will use comments on nominations and should not deep discuss to previous FOSS4G
circumstance and responsibility.

Best regards,
Toshikazu

Re: Board nomination: Jeff McKenna

Rob Emanuele
Hi Toshikazu, Nick,

Despite the fact that I have not been around long enough or have not been in the right places to see directly a lot of the impact that Jeff has had on the community, it's very clear from many accounts that he has been an amazing and important figure in OSGeo (a Sol Katz award speaks very clearly to this!). However I feel remiss if I don't point out the following observation: as a newer member to the OSGeo community in the past couple of years, I've seen some intense and surprising conflict happen on the mailing lists that were centered around or included Jeff, which played out in ways that I believe were not good for community, and were also not healing in their conclusions.

If there is a custom of only speaking positively on someone's nomination thread, then I apologize. I do not want to detract from praise that is well deserved. Is there a more appropriate place talk through, address and hopefully dismiss reservations about a nominee, and to also call for answers to the questions Cameron has posted?

Thanks,
Rob

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 7:02 AM, Toshikazu SETO <[hidden email]> wrote:
I also support the second nomination of Jeff McKenna.

He think important to friendship with all OSGeo communities, because I am proud of his philosophy.

I think, this thread will use comments on nominations and should not deep discuss to previous FOSS4G
circumstance and responsibility.

Best regards,
Toshikazu

Re: Board nomination: Jeff McKenna

Cameron Shorter

Nicolas, Jeff, OSGeo Community:

I really like and respect Jeff. He has contributed many great things to OSGeo and touched many of us in positive ways. However, while on the board I've seen personality clashes where Jeff has sent passionate emails with what I consider to be an unacceptable level of aggression and disrespect for a board member, and which I believe has led to community members leaving or becoming disengaged [3].

Jeff appears to have ignored my question. I'm disappointed but not surprised. I've seen Jeff to be quick to engage on topics and people he agrees with; but ignore tough questions; in the extreme resigning from the board. Maybe I'm being hasty, I see Jeff has just posted his candidate manifesto as I write this and he may explain his previous resignations soon.

I've said the following about Jeff after he resigned previously [4]:

    I see in you someone who has some wonderful characteristics which you apply to OSGeo:
   You are passionate, enthusiastic, dedicated to task.

    There are a few things that sometimes cause friction:
    You are passionate, enthusiastic, dedicated to task.

    As with all of us, our strengths in one circumstance become a weakness in another.

I love Jeff, but would hope that he provides some of our other excellent board candidates with a chance to be on the board, and hope that Jeff focuses on some of the other roles that he does so well.

Warm regards, Cameron

[3] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/discuss/2015-November/033014.html

[4] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/board/2015-December/008829.html

On 9 Oct 2017, at 21:42, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Re: Fwd: Board nomination: Jeff McKenna

jmckenna
Administrator
Thank you for the kind support Vicky, looking forward to seeing you soon
and having long OSGeo talks at FOSS4G-Sotm-Argentina (continued from our
great talks at FOSS4G-Seoul).  I'll bring the old OSGeo banner, so we
can help setup a little OSGeo booth there (on my to-do is to order an
updated banner, as I go to so many local FOSS4G events it's a good
investment for me, to help promote OSGeo), and we can print your Summer
of Code flyers there as well.  See you soon!

PS. my goal is to respond to all nomination messages today, lots to do
for OSGeo always ha!

-jeff

On 2017-10-08 7:38 PM, Vicky Vergara wrote:

> I would like to second this nomination.
> I can find words in my vocabulary to express al the traits that Jeff has
> for being in the board.
> His energy is contagious.
> His knowledge of OSGeo invaluable.
> His love an care for OSGeo is like no one else I've met
>

> Vicky
>

> On Sun, Oct 8, 2017 at 4:48 PM, nicolas bozon <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>

>     It is my honor to nominate Jeff McKenna for the OSGeo Board of
>     Directors election.
>
>     Most of you knows Jeff's energy and passion for everything OSGeo,
>     and i would probably be mistaken trying to summarize his countless
>     contributions over the years, at every level of our Foundation. His
>     leadership and long involvement in the OSGeo and FOSS4G communities
>     made him the Winner of the Solz Katz Award in 2016, and i cannot add
>     more. For those of you who may really not know Jeff yet, the
>     User:Jeff_McKenna wiki page is a good read before you vote.
>
>     Jeff already served three times at the board and has a deep
>     understanding of both the director role and the current OSGeo
>     strategic plan. Experienced with OSGeo governance and bylaws, Jeff
>     also knows a lot about projects and people. He is always ready to
>     help build locally and to represent globally.
>
>     Jeff is a great communicator and enthusiastic community leader, and
>     i believe he will be an excellent OSGeo director again. Please let
>     us all welcome Jeff back at the Board!
>

>     Best regards,
>
>     Nicolas Bozon
>

>     -------------------------------------------------------------------
>     Jeff McKenna agreed to be nominated and i decided to send the
>     nomination directly to the Discuss list with cc to CRO, so it avoids
>     Jeff to confirm to himself that he accepts the nomination. The Board
>     Nominations page still need to be updated, could you please Vasile ?
>     Sorry for shortening the nomination process in this special case.

> Georepublic UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
> Salzmannstraße 44,
> 81739 München, Germany
>
> Vicky Vergara
> Operations Research
>
> eMail: [hidden email] <http://georepublic.de>
> Web:https://georepublic.info
>
> Tel: +49 (089) 4161 7698-1
> Fax: +49 (089) 4161 7698-9
>
> Commercial register: Amtsgericht München, HRB 181428
> CEO: Daniel Kastl

Re: Fwd: Board nomination: Jeff McKenna And Sanghee Shin

jmckenna
Administrator
Thank you for the support Marc.  Indeed this class of Board volunteers
is amazing, a really tough decision as each and every nominee is a true
leader for OSGeo.   A great problem to have!  -jeff

On 2017-10-09 2:10 AM, Marc Vloemans wrote:

> +1 Jeff And Sanghee
>
> Kind regards,
> Marc Vloemans
>

> Op 9 okt. 2017 om 00:38 heeft Vicky Vergara <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> het volgende geschreven:
>
>> I would like to second this nomination.
>> I can find words in my vocabulary to express al the traits that Jeff
>> has for being in the board.
>> His energy is contagious.
>> His knowledge of OSGeo invaluable.
>> His love an care for OSGeo is like no one else I've met
>>

>> Vicky
>>

>> On Sun, Oct 8, 2017 at 4:48 PM, nicolas bozon <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>

>>     It is my honor to nominate Jeff McKenna for the OSGeo Board of
>>     Directors election.
>>
>>     Most of you knows Jeff's energy and passion for everything OSGeo,
>>     and i would probably be mistaken trying to summarize his countless
>>     contributions over the years, at every level of our Foundation.
>>     His leadership and long involvement in the OSGeo and FOSS4G
>>     communities made him the Winner of the Solz Katz Award in 2016,
>>     and i cannot add more. For those of you who may really not know
>>     Jeff yet, the User:Jeff_McKenna wiki page is a good read before
>>     you vote.
>>
>>     Jeff already served three times at the board and has a deep
>>     understanding of both the director role and the current OSGeo
>>     strategic plan. Experienced with OSGeo governance and bylaws, Jeff
>>     also knows a lot about projects and people. He is always ready to
>>     help build locally and to represent globally.
>>
>>     Jeff is a great communicator and enthusiastic community leader,
>>     and i believe he will be an excellent OSGeo director again. Please
>>     let us all welcome Jeff back at the Board!
>>

>>     Best regards,
>>
>>     Nicolas Bozon
>>

>>     -------------------------------------------------------------------
>>     Jeff McKenna agreed to be nominated and i decided to send the
>>     nomination directly to the Discuss list with cc to CRO, so it
>>     avoids Jeff to confirm to himself that he accepts the nomination.
>>     The Board Nominations page still need to be updated, could you
>>     please Vasile ? Sorry for shortening the nomination process in
>>     this special case.
>>

>> --
>> Georepublic UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
>> Salzmannstraße 44,
>> 81739 München, Germany
>>
>> Vicky Vergara
>> Operations Research
>>
>> eMail: [hidden email] <http://georepublic.de>
>> Web:https://georepublic.info
>>
>> Tel: +49 (089) 4161 7698-1
>> Fax: +49 (089) 4161 7698-9
>>
>> Commercial register: Amtsgericht München, HRB 181428
>> CEO: Daniel Kastl
>>
>> _____

Re: Fwd: Board nomination: Jeff McKenna

jmckenna
Administrator
Thank you for the support Hayashi-san.   I have really tried to spread
FOSS4G and OSGeo all over Asia and Europe, as you mentioned.  I also
truly love the OSGeo-Japan community, I feel like I am a long-time
member of OSGeo-JP, and that a huge part of my growth as a person and a
community member is due to the kindness and appreciation shown to me
from so many OSGeo-JP members.

I miss you dearly and I am sure that I will see you soon in person at a
FOSS4G event somewhere! -jeff

On 2017-10-09 3:20 AM, 林博文 wrote:

> [...]
>
>         Nicolas Bozon
>

>         -------------------------------------------------------------------
>         Jeff McKenna agreed to be nominated and i decided to send the
>         nomination directly to the Discuss list with cc to CRO, so it
>         avoids Jeff to confirm to himself that he accepts the
>         nomination. The Board Nominations page still need to be updated,
>         could you please Vasile ? Sorry for shortening the nomination
>         process in this special case.
>

>     --
>
>     Georepublic UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
>     Salzmannstraße 44,
>     81739 München, Germany
>
>     Vicky Vergara
>     Operations Research
>
>     eMail: [hidden email] <http://georepublic.de>
>     Web:https://georepublic.info
>
>     Tel: +49 (089) 4161 7698-1
>     Fax: +49 (089) 4161 7698-9
>
>     Commercial register: Amtsgericht München, HRB 181428

Thank you for the support Silvia!  It was so great to see you at
FOSS4G-Paris.  Can't wait to see you again and have a laugh together! -jeff

On 2017-10-09 3:28 AM, Silvia Franceschi wrote:

> [...]
>             nomination. The Board Nominations page still need to be
>             updated, could you please Vasile ? Sorry for shortening the
>             nomination process in this special case.
>

>         --
>
>         Georepublic UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
>         Salzmannstraße 44,
>         81739 München, Germany
>
>         Vicky Vergara
>         Operations Research
>
>         eMail: [hidden email] <http://georepublic.de>
>         Web:https://georepublic.info
>
>         Tel: +49 (089) 4161 7698-1
>         Fax: +49 (089) 4161 7698-9
>
>         Commercial register: Amtsgericht München, HRB 181428
>         CEO: Daniel Kastl

> ing. Silvia Franceschi
> Via Latemar, 22
> 38030 Castello di Fiemme (TN)
>
> tel: 0039 -3384501332

Re: Fwd: Board nomination: Jeff McKenna And Sanghee Shin

Thank you for the support Suchith.  It was great to share our similar
visions on the stage at FOSS4G-Paris, your effort for GeoForAll is
inspiring, and I always go out of my way to promote it every chance I
get.  -jeff

On 2017-10-09 5:04 AM, Suchith Anand wrote:

> + for Jeff, Sanghee and Dirk.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Suchith

Thank you Cameron for kind words.   I am sure there are questions, and I
am here to answer them for you.

As a long-time volunteer for OSGeo, I have always tried to represent the
foundation and its community every step of the way.  During my term as
President of OSGeo, we were really tackling the subject of the
LocationTech-OSGeo relationship, and it became a very public discussion.
I worked very hard to represent OSGeo, but sometimes my words may have
been too strong towards Andrea Ross, and that could be my biggest fault.
  When a letter was posted online criticizing me, and then shared to me
during a Board meeting, this absolutely broke me.  I don't recommend
anyone goes through that, seeing online words written about you, it was
quite a feeling.

I was doing so much for OSGeo, making sure to give each issue or
challenge time and effort, listening, and then talking, always publicly,
that I obviously made many mistakes.  This can happen when you are so
open, trying to make sure all of the community is informed.  At the
time, when that happened, I felt that I was no longer doing the job
(note that it is a job, fulltime, unpaid yes, but it is definitely a
job, make no mistake) of the OSGeo President and I resigned immediately.

I have learned a lot since then, and for several years I worked on
low-level OSGeo tasks, again helping wherever needed. But meeting Marc
and Thea at FOSS4G-Boston and talking face to face gave me so much
confidence, in the whole community - I am sure that both Thea and Marc
felt the same way after our talk.  It was just so needed, and only the
start of what I predict will become something magical.

You have many more emails and questions examining my career, which I
will tackle in the next response.

Thank you for your words, more shortly,

-jeff

On 2017-10-09 8:01 AM, Cameron Shorter wrote:

> Jeff,
>
> While I agree with others that you have been very enthusiastic toward
> OSGeo ideals, I'm also believe that there are some unanswered questions
> which should be addressed.
>
> In particular, a while back you stepped down from the OSGeo Board
> mid-term, while you were in the position of OSGeo president. I don't
> think a public explanation was provided, but I was aware that there was
> some passionate discussion happening in public email lists at the time.
>
> If you are considering sitting on the board again, I think an
> explanation should be provided.
>
> Regards, Cameron
>

> On 9/10/17 8:48 am, nicolas bozon wrote:
>>
>> It is my honor to nominate Jeff McKenna for the OSGeo Board of
>> Directors election.
>>
>> Most of you knows Jeff's energy and passion for everything OSGeo, and
>> i would probably be mistaken trying to summarize his countless
>> contributions over the years, at every level of our Foundation. His
>> leadership and long involvement in the OSGeo and FOSS4G communities
>> made him the Winner of the Solz Katz Award in 2016, and i cannot add
>> more. For those of you who may really not know Jeff yet, the
>> User:Jeff_McKenna wiki page is a good read before you vote.
>>
>> Jeff already served three times at the board and has a deep
>> understanding of both the director role and the current OSGeo
>> strategic plan. Experienced with OSGeo governance and bylaws, Jeff
>> also knows a lot about projects and people. He is always ready to help
>> build locally and to represent globally.
>>
>> Jeff is a great communicator and enthusiastic community leader, and i
>> believe he will be an excellent OSGeo director again. Please let us
>> all welcome Jeff back at the Board!
>>

>> Best regards,
>>
>> Nicolas Bozon

>> Jeff McKenna agreed to be nominated and i decided to send the
>> nomination directly to the Discuss list with cc to CRO, so it avoids
>> Jeff to confirm to himself that he accepts the nomination. The Board
>> Nominations page still need to be updated, could you please Vasile ?
>> Sorry for shortening the nomination process in this special case.

> Cameron Shorter
> Open Technologies Consultant
> Geospatial & Software Architect
> Information Demystifier
>
> M +61 (0) 419 142 254
> http://shorter.net

Re: Fwd: Board nomination: Jeff McKenna

jmckenna
Administrator
Thanks for your words Cameron, I will do my best to address your
concerns here now.

In a sense it is good that you bring up all this history, as it gives me
a chance to clarify what actually happened.

In 2011 I had been doing so much for FOSS4G for so long, all those
non-glorious tasks that helped build what FOSS4G is today, that I knew
that we were approaching a critical point where we were asking too much
of volunteers to make the next FOSS4G event happen.

Fellow leaders Venka, Gérald, and I had boots on the ground in China in
2010 I believe, and we really pushed for FOSS4G-China to happen, but we
all knew the effort involved, demanding more of a face-to-face approach,
than past event planning.  With my many hats (chair of conference
committee, then on every single local committee of FOSS4G, and Board
member) I knew that for FOSS4G-2012 Beijing to happen we must invest
boots-on-the-ground help, and be sure to guide the event to completion.
Bringing FOSS4G to China was very important to me.

So what then happened would become one of my proudest moments in OSGeo:
I very publicly proposed a partially funded "FOSS4G Advisor" role to
mentor the Beijing team, and work closely from start to finish, back in
2011, to do all of the little things.  The document lists so many
important little tasks, but the last section says it the best:

  - propose role/position to OSGeo Board
  - once approved, introduce new role to FOSS4G 2012 local committee
  - do the work!

It was what I knew (and having created the FOSS4G conference committee,
been on every local committee until then, only I knew this) had to
happen, and right away.

Unfortunately the proposal was never approved by the OSGeo Board, and
this devastated me, as I knew this was what was needed to make the event
a success.  I would later resign from the OSGeo Board over that.

Fast forward a year, and the event never happened.  It was exactly what
I warned.  To this day I feel such a role is needed for FOSS4G.  Here is
my original document, note that tasks, costs, effort, everything is in
the open and visible, for a future FOSS4G team to use:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Advisor_Role

(I would learn later that the German FOSSGIS organizers hired someone
for that exact role, doing the little things each event to make sure
consistency and a smooth transition happens)

I hope this explains what happened Cameron.   Regarding so many people
contacting you about concerns of me, please let them know that I am here
to talk, if they feel the need to voice concerns.

Thank you for your message Cameron, I'll address your next email
examining my career in a response shortly.

-jeff

On 2017-10-09 5:42 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:

> [...]
>>> understanding of both the director role and the current OSGeo
>>> strategic plan. Experienced with OSGeo governance and bylaws, Jeff
>>> also knows a lot about projects and people. He is always ready to
>>> help build locally and to represent globally.
>>>
>>> Jeff is a great communicator and enthusiastic community leader, and i
>>> believe he will be an excellent OSGeo director again. Please let us
>>> all welcome Jeff back at the Board!
>>>

>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Nicolas Bozon

>>> Jeff McKenna agreed to be nominated and i decided to send the
>>> nomination directly to the Discuss list with cc to CRO, so it avoids
>>> Jeff to confirm to himself that he accepts the nomination. The Board
>>> Nominations page still need to be updated, could you please Vasile ?
>>> Sorry for shortening the nomination process in this special case.

Thank you Serena!  I hope to someday nominate you for the OSGeo Board,
as you are a true OSGeo leader.

-jeff

On 2017-10-10 3:51 PM, Serena Coetzee wrote:

> [...]
>

>             -------------------------------------------------------------------
>             Jeff McKenna agreed to be nominated and i decided to send
>             the nomination directly to the Discuss list with cc to CRO,
>             so it avoids Jeff to confirm to himself that he accepts the
>             nomination. The Board Nominations page still need to be
>             updated, could you please Vasile ? Sorry for shortening the
>             nomination process in this special case.
>

>         --
>
>         Georepublic UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
>         Salzmannstraße 44,
>         81739 München, Germany
>
>         Vicky Vergara
>         Operations Research
>
>         eMail: [hidden email] <http://georepublic.de/>
>         Web:https://georepublic.info <https://georepublic.info/>
>
>         Tel: +49 (089) 4161 7698-1
>         Fax: +49 (089) 4161 7698-9
>
>         Commercial register: Amtsgericht München, HRB 181428

Thank you Eli for this concern, as when I was nominated I immediately
realized the potential for a conflict of interest, and resigned as co-CRO.

It was not something I planned, giving a month of my time to the
election and then stopping, but I agree with you that a more formal
process for selecting the upcoming election CROs is needed.  I actually
would like to see the CROs involved in the whole process, including when
any changes to the voting/nomination process are needed.  So there is
definitely room for improvement here.

-jeff

On 2017-10-11 2:15 PM, Venkatesh Raghavan wrote:

> Hi Eli,
>
> First of all, thanks to Jorge for volunteering to be co-CRO
> and fixing the CRO alias promptly.
>
> Regarding your other comment reproduced below;
>> The Board did not appear to review this topic at
>> their last meeting,
>> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2017-10-05, so perhaps it is
>> of no concern to the Board.
>
> The question of review this topic at the 2017-10-05 board meeting did
> not arise
> as the nomination for our ex-co-CRO was filed on 2017-10-08.
>
> I would like to assure you that I share your concern about the proper
> process.
>
> Best
>
> Venka
>

> On 10/12/2017 1:58 AM, Jorge Sanz wrote:
>> Hi Eli,
>>
>> I did it yesterday without having a ticket involved. My bad sorry.
>>
>> I confirm that the CRO alias is now sending emails only to Vasile and me.
>> --
>> Jorge Sanz
>> https://jorgesanz.net
>>
>> Sent from my phone, excuse my brevity and typos
>>
>> El 11 oct. 2017 18:36, "Eli Adam"<[hidden email]>  escribió:

>>> co-CRO when accepting the Nicolas’ nomination [1].
>>>
>>> I didn't find that thread while scanning through the archive.  Thanks
>>> for pointing it out to me.

>>> he is no more so, I guess, there is no issue for the board election.
>>> Was [hidden email]  email alias updated?  I didn't notice a ticket
>>> for that.  I'm impressed that there is so little concern about the
>>> proper process.  The Board did not appear to review this topic at
>>> their last meeting,
>>> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2017-10-05, so perhaps it is
>>> of no concern to the Board.
>>>
>>> Best regards, Eli

>>> Directors

>>> contributions
>>> long
>>> the
>>> may
>>> read

>>> understanding of
>>> Experienced
>>> and
>>> globally.

>>> nomination
>>> confirm to
>>> still

Re: Board nomination: Jeff McKenna

jmckenna
Administrator
Hi Steven, I think it is not easy dedicating so much effort for OSGeo,
and at the same time trying to keep the lights on with a small business,
as you know very well.  I think recent changes by the current Board
handling the many tasks through 2 VPs and the president helps, really
helps, but I am sure we can do more.  I think Helena mentioned in her
vision leveraging funded roles for certain tasks, dedicating people to
those everyday Board tasks, and this is a great idea.  There are many tasks.

I guess I am growing too, with OSGeo, making mistakes, and generally
being a typical teenager (as OSGeo is in its teenage years).  I think
Venka mentioned this in a recent keynote, and it is very true.

-jeff

On 2017-10-11 6:45 PM, Steven Feldman wrote:

> Jeff
>
> I agree with Cameron, I think the charter members are entitled to an
> explanation as to why you resigned from the board twice in the middle of
> a period of service.
>
> I, for one, would like to understand the basis on which we can be
> assured that if you are elected for a third time the pattern of
> resignation will not be repeated
>
> Regards
> ______
> Steven
>

>> On 9 Oct 2017, at 21:42, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> Jeff,
>>
>> I've had a number of people correct me to note that you have resigned
>> twice from the board. Also from the conference committee and FOSS4G
>> mentoring role as the global FOSS4G China was facing very hard
>> decisions based on low registration numbers.

>> Resignation from board in 2015:
>> https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/board/2015-December/008820.html
>>
>> Resignation from board and conference committee in 2012:
>> https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/board/2012-February/004544.html
>>
>> Stepping back from mentoring FOSS4G China:
>> https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/board/2012-January/004514.html
>>
>> Lessons Learned from FOSS4G China:
>> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2012_Lessons_Learned
>>

>> On 9/10/17 10:01 pm, Cameron Shorter wrote:
>>>
>>> Jeff,
>>>
>>> While I agree with others that you have been very enthusiastic toward
>>> OSGeo ideals, I'm also believe that there are some unanswered
>>> questions which should be addressed.
>>>
>>> In particular, a while back you stepped down from the OSGeo Board
>>> mid-term, while you were in the position of OSGeo president. I don't
>>> think a public explanation was provided, but I was aware that there
>>> was some passionate discussion happening in public email lists at the
>>> time.
>>>
>>> If you are considering sitting on the board again, I think an
>>> explanation should be provided.
>>>
>>> Regards, Cameron

>>> --
>>> Cameron Shorter
>>> Open Technologies Consultant
>>> Geospatial & Software Architect
>>> Information Demystifier
>>>
>>> M +61 (0) 419 142 254
>>> http://shorter.net
>>
>> --
>> Cameron Shorter
>> Open Technologies Consultant
>> Geospatial & Software Architect
>> Information Demystifier
>>
>> M +61 (0) 419 142 254
>> http://shorter.net

Re: Board nomination: Jeff McKenna

jmckenna
Administrator
Thanks for your honest and passionate support Nick.  Your message was
well said.  Although I should be careful to not hide behind an award,
and treat everyone with respect and caring, which I think was the
concern of Cameron and others recently towards me.

-jeff

On 2017-10-12 2:23 AM, nicolas bozon wrote:

> [...]
>>     <https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/board/2012-January/004514.html>
>>
>>     Lessons Learned from FOSS4G China:
>>     https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2012_Lessons_Learned
>>     <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2012_Lessons_Learned>
>>

>>     On 9/10/17 10:01 pm, Cameron Shorter wrote:
>>>
>>>     Jeff,
>>>
>>>     While I agree with others that you have been very enthusiastic
>>>     toward OSGeo ideals, I'm also believe that there are some
>>>     unanswered questions which should be addressed.
>>>
>>>     In particular, a while back you stepped down from the OSGeo Board
>>>     mid-term, while you were in the position of OSGeo president. I
>>>     don't think a public explanation was provided, but I was aware
>>>     that there was some passionate discussion happening in public
>>>     email lists at the time.
>>>
>>>     If you are considering sitting on the board again, I think an

Thank you for your support Toshikazu-san, this really is so very kind of
you.  It is ok, I understand everyone's points, that I can be more
respectful and caring towards others as I relay my OSGeo spirit :)  We
all make mistakes, and it's important to examine these mistakes
sometimes.  Now let's keep on making OSGeo great and fun! ha.  -jeff

On 2017-10-12 8:02 AM, Toshikazu SETO wrote:

> I also support the second nomination of Jeff McKenna.
>
> He think important to friendship with all OSGeo communities, because I
> am proud of his philosophy.
>
> I think, this thread will use comments on nominations and should not
> deep discuss to previous FOSS4G
> circumstanceand responsibility.
>
> Best regards,
> Toshikazu

Re: Board nomination: Jeff McKenna

jmckenna
Administrator
Hi Rob,

Thanks for voicing your concerns about me.  You are a leader and your
words are very powerful, I have much respect for your efforts.

I apologize if my passion sometimes causes conflict on mailing lists.
When I represent the OSGeo community, I feel the need to always be open
and relay concerns, as you have done here.  I need to be more caring and
respectful to others in this community.

I hope my open responses help answer a few questions, understand me a
little more, or at least bring more questions and good discussions, so
we can keep making OSGeo fun and always growing.

-jeff

On 2017-10-12 1:32 PM, Rob Emanuele wrote:

> Hi Toshikazu, Nick,
>
> Despite the fact that I have not been around long enough or have not
> been in the right places to see directly a lot of the impact that Jeff
> has had on the community, it's very clear from many accounts that he has
> been an amazing and important figure in OSGeo (a Sol Katz award speaks
> very clearly to this!). However I feel remiss if I don't point out the
> following observation: as a newer member to the OSGeo community in the
> past couple of years, I've seen some intense and surprising conflict
> happen on the mailing lists that were centered around or included Jeff,
> which played out in ways that I believe were not good for community, and
> were also not healing in their conclusions.
>
> If there is a custom of only speaking positively on someone's nomination
> thread, then I apologize. I do not want to detract from praise that is
> well deserved. Is there a more appropriate place talk through, address
> and hopefully dismiss reservations about a nominee, and to also call for
> answers to the questions Cameron has posted?
>
> Thanks,
> Rob
>

> On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 7:02 AM, Toshikazu SETO <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     I also support the second nomination of Jeff McKenna.
>
>     He think important to friendship with all OSGeo communities, because
>     I am proud of his philosophy.
>
>     I think, this thread will use comments on nominations and should not
>     deep discuss to previous FOSS4G
>     circumstanceand responsibility.
>
>     Best regards,
>     Toshikazu

Re: Board nomination: Jeff McKenna

jmckenna
Administrator
Cameron, I needed time to think on all of these issues being raised.  I
never ignored you.  I disagree with your public statement that I avoid
hard OSGeo questions.  I have always tried to represent the OSGeo
community, and I have stood up for the community when others could or
would not.  My problem is that I am sometimes too strong, too
passionate, coming off as not caring, when in fact this is opposite: I
have as much caring for the OSGeo community as anyone else here.

Thank you for voicing all of these public concerns of my career.   I
have tried to answer your concerns.  I am sure you disagree with me for
most or all of my answers, but I hope you take the time to let my words
sink in like I did to all of your words, as that time was me showing you
the most respect, how I respect your words and how powerful the online
word is today.  Please also show me that respect back.

Maybe we can meet in person in 2018.  FOSS4G-Australia 2018!!! Let's do
it!!!!  :)

Yours,

-jeff

On 2017-10-12 4:32 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:

> [...]
>>
>>     Regards
>>     ______
>>     Steven
>>

>>>     On 9 Oct 2017, at 21:42, Cameron Shorter
>>>     <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>>     Jeff,
>>>
>>>     I've had a number of people correct me to note that you have
>>>     resigned twice from the board. Also from the conference committee
>>>     and FOSS4G mentoring role as the global FOSS4G China was facing
>>>     very hard decisions based on low registration numbers.

>>>     Resignation from board in 2015:
>>>     https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/board/2015-December/008820.html
>>>     <https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/board/2015-December/008820.html>
>>>
>>>     Resignation from board and conference committee in 2012:
>>>     https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/board/2012-February/004544.html
>>>     <https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/board/2012-February/004544.html>
>>>
>>>     Stepping back from mentoring FOSS4G China:

Massimiliano Cannata
Jeff,
Thanks for accepting the nomination.
You have my support.