Fwd: [Board] next year's representative at FOSS4G Conference

Fwd: [Board] next year's representative at FOSS4G Conference

Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS)-2
Hello conference committee,

should the below be clarified in the RFP or is this already the case?

Best regards,
Bart

Begin forwarded message:

Date: 13 Apr 2015 14:12:01 CEST
From: Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Board] next year's representative at FOSS4G Conference

It should be included in the FOSS4G local committee's budget (so in fact you could consider that we/Board already support it, as we are the providers of the seed money).  For example, the 2016 group should budget for a rep at 2015 event.

You might also send your message to the OSGeo Conference Committee, as it really isn't a Board responsibility.

-jeff

On 2015-04-13 9:06 AM, Bart van den Eijnden wrote:
Hello board,

do we have any policy in place currently for making it possible for somebody from next years’s conference to attend the FOSS4G conference and represent their conference there?

If not, would it not make sense to have something in place like a travel allowance and free conference pass (exact package TBD)?

Thoughts?

Best regards,
Bart

Jeff McKenna
http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/

Date: 13 Apr 2015 14:12:01 CEST
From: Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]>

It should be included in the FOSS4G local committee's budget (so in fact you could consider that we/Board already support it, as we are the providers of the seed money).  For example, the 2016 group should budget for a rep at 2015 event.

You might also send your message to the OSGeo Conference Committee, as it really isn't a Board responsibility.

-jeff

Re: [Board] next year's representative at FOSS4G Conference

David Percy
I could see a free conference pass, for sure!

But travel expenses? That seems a bit much.

In the end it comes out of the amount generated for the OSGeo general fund from the conference.

Thus, I think it *is* a board decision...

And, is it airfare + hotel + per diem? or some lesser combination of these items?
Just airfare and hotel could be ~ $3000 - 4000. That is kind of "in the noise" of a budget so big, so maybe it's not a big deal...
:-)
Percy

Date: 13 Apr 2015 14:12:01 CEST
From: Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]>

On 2015-04-13 9:06 AM, Bart van den Eijnden wrote:
Hello board,

do we have any policy in place currently for making it possible for somebody from next years’s conference to attend the FOSS4G conference and represent their conference there?

If not, would it not make sense to have something in place like a travel allowance and free conference pass (exact package TBD)?

Thoughts?

Best regards,
Bart

Jeff McKenna
http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/

David Percy ("Percy")
-Geospatial Data Manager
-Web Map Wrangler
-GIS Instructor
Portland State University
-gisgeek.pdx.edu
-geology.pdx.edu

Re: [Board] next year's representative at FOSS4G Conference

stevenfeldman
I don’t think that the following year’s budget should include several thousand dollars for travel across continents and accommodation - I am not sure what the benefit would be. I think we would expect an LOC who has won the right to stage a FOSS4G would have several team members who had attended one or more previous events (maybe that should be a question that we should ask at the LoI stage).

That said, I think it is reasonable for the current years FOSS4G to offer a free attendance to someone from the next year’s LOC. The cost would be small, but the delegate attending should pick up their own travel and accommodation expenses.
______
Steven

Date: 13 Apr 2015 14:12:01 CEST
From: Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]>

It should be included in the FOSS4G local committee's budget (so in fact you could consider that we/Board already support it, as we are the providers of the seed money).  For example, the 2016 group should budget for a rep at 2015 event.

You might also send your message to the OSGeo Conference Committee, as it really isn't a Board responsibility.

-jeff

Re: [Board] next year's representative at FOSS4G Conference

Eli Adam
On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 11:06 AM, David Percy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I could see a free conference pass, for sure!
>
> But travel expenses? That seems a bit much.
>
> In the end it comes out of the amount generated for the OSGeo general fund
> from the conference.
>
> Thus, I think it *is* a board decision...

The Board can do well delegating these issues to the Conference
Committee, that is the point of the committees, detailed examination
of specific issues that the Board has a broad interest in.  Whether
the Conference Committee actually decides or recommends a decision
that the Board then briefly reviews and approves doesn't really
matter.

> And, is it airfare + hotel + per diem? or some lesser combination of these
> items?
> Just airfare and hotel could be ~ $3000 - 4000. That is kind of "in the
> noise" of a budget so big, so maybe it's not a big deal...
> :-)
> Percy
>
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 10:15 AM, Darrell Fuhriman <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> This has never been the case, AFAIK.
>>
>> d.
>>

>> On Apr 13, 2015, at 05:47, Bart van den Eijnden <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello conference committee,
>>
>> should the below be clarified in the RFP or is this already the case?

It could be clarified in the RFP although LOCs already have wide
latitude in their own budget.  One of my goals for deciding the
location with more time in advance was that things like this are
easier to plan.

>> Best regards,
>> Bart
>>
>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>> Date: 13 Apr 2015 14:12:01 CEST
>> From: Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]>
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: Re: [Board] next year's representative at FOSS4G Conference
>>
>> It should be included in the FOSS4G local committee's budget (so in fact
>> you could consider that we/Board already support it, as we are the providers
>> of the seed money).  For example, the 2016 group should budget for a rep at
>> 2015 event.
>>
>> You might also send your message to the OSGeo Conference Committee, as it
>> really isn't a Board responsibility.
>>
>> -jeff
>>

>> On 2015-04-13 9:06 AM, Bart van den Eijnden wrote:
>>
>> Hello board,
>>
>> do we have any policy in place currently for making it possible for
>> somebody from next years’s conference to attend the FOSS4G conference and
>> represent their conference there?
>>
>> If not, would it not make sense to have something in place like a travel
>> allowance and free conference pass (exact package TBD)?

Generally, I'm opposed to complex discount pass mandates on the LOCs.
As Jeff points out, there is little distinction in the funds since
OSGeo/FOSS4G YYYY/FOSS4G YYYY+1 funds are all the same thing.  For
PDX, in the cases that we were aware of, we tried to provide free
passes rather than have someone pay their own registration, submit
paperwork to OSGeo for reimbursement and then have the OSGeo Treasurer
send a check, banking fees incurred all along the way.  Depending on
the scale, this might eventually impact the amount of seed money that
the LOC needs since the LOC does have real bills that it needs to pay.

The LOC has to address a number of issues like this that might
eventually be better handled by an OSGeo Travel Grant and Scholarship
Committee.

Best regards, Eli

>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Bart
>>

>> --
>> Jeff McKenna
>> MapServer Consulting and Training Services
>> http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/

> David Percy ("Percy")
> -Geospatial Data Manager
> -Web Map Wrangler
> -GIS Instructor
> Portland State University
> -gisgeek.pdx.edu
> -geology.pdx.edu

Re: [Board] next year's representative at FOSS4G Conference

Sanghee Shin
If I am asked to give a free pass to someone from FOSS4G 2016 team or OSGeo Board member, I have to say “No.” But, we’ll give one free booth to OSGeo.

Seoul team has strict “No Free Pass” policy internally and so all LOC members even including me have to register to show up at FOSS4G Seoul. This is because Seoul team is preparing FOSS4G Seoul with extreme uncertainty unlike previous FOSS4G in Europe or NA. Still we’re not sure how many people will attend and how much sponsorship we can get finally. Seoul team has the risk of having deficit after the party. If any, the deficit will be purely upon Seoul team not on OSGeo. That’s why we’re very reluctant to give any free pass to somebody.

Anyway Seoul team attended FOSS4G Portland and FOSS4G NA this year with our own budget without any free pass.

With regards,

Sanghee
---
Sanghee Shin, Chair of FOSS4G 2015 Seoul
"Toward Diversity! FOSS4G Bigbang from Seoul!"
http://2015.foss4g.org
Twitter: @foss4g
Facebook: FOSS4G2015

2015. 4. 14., 오후 7:13, Steven Feldman <[hidden email]> 작성:

Date: 13 Apr 2015 14:12:01 CEST
From: Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]>

It should be included in the FOSS4G local committee's budget (so in fact you could consider that we/Board already support it, as we are the providers of the seed money).  For example, the 2016 group should budget for a rep at 2015 event.

You might also send your message to the OSGeo Conference Committee, as it really isn't a Board responsibility.

-jeff

Re: [Board] next year's representative at FOSS4G Conference

Till Adams-3
Hi all,

Bart brought in that discussion, because I talked to him about that
theme before. To clear that up in my words, some thoughts on this.

As I am the shareholder of my own company I would attend to FOSS4G in
Seoul more or less anyway. But "normally" I would come as a delegate of
terrestris.

In general OSGEO wants and more or less expects that the chair or
another representative of the following conference is present on the
preceding event. That's fair and also in my eyes more or less a "must".

But it is not sure, that my (above lined out) situation fits to all
following chairs of a FOSS4G conference in future. So I think, there
should be a binding agreement in general.

If a company pays for all the costs for travelling, accomodation and
also conference fees, the company expects (regardless whether the
representative is shareholder or employee) that the person benefits from
the conference in the sense of the company. This leads to the situation,
that the next chair is present, but as a delegate and also by order of
OSGEO.
In my eyes, something does not really fit here.

I think, if OSGEO really wants the chair/ a representative to invite to
the following conference, the representative should be there by order of
OSGEO. This is at least part of marketing and therefore in my eyes at
least part of the marketing budget of the next conference -- if so that
OSGEO does not care for this.

The representative in case on his/her side should be expected to act
professionally enough, not to mix up FOSS4G and company interests in
that case. That's the same what e.g. Jeff as president or other board
members do as well all the time (not to mix up!) ;-)

The other way would be to write clearly down in the proposal-requests,
that OSGEO expects the chair to be present on the preceding conference
by on his/her own account.

That's just what It think - regardless of what will be decided for now
or for the conference from 2017 or whenever. For me personnally not that
problem, I will come to Seoul anyway :-). But worth to start a
discussion here.

So far,

Till

Am 14.04.2015 23:19, schrieb Sanghee Shin:

> If I am asked to give a free pass to someone from FOSS4G 2016 team or
> OSGeo Board member, I have to say “No.” But, we’ll give one free booth
> to OSGeo.
>
> Seoul team has strict “No Free Pass” policy internally and so all LOC
> members even including me have to register to show up at FOSS4G Seoul.
> This is because Seoul team is preparing FOSS4G Seoul with extreme
> uncertainty unlike previous FOSS4G in Europe or NA. Still we’re not sure
> how many people will attend and how much sponsorship we can get finally.
> Seoul team has the risk of having deficit after the party. If any, the
> deficit will be purely upon Seoul team not on OSGeo. That’s why we’re
> very reluctant to give any free pass to somebody.
>
> Anyway Seoul team attended FOSS4G Portland and FOSS4G NA this year with
> our own budget without any free pass.
>
> With regards,
>
> Sanghee
> ---
> Sanghee Shin, Chair of FOSS4G 2015 Seoul
> "Toward Diversity! FOSS4G Bigbang from Seoul!"
> http://2015.foss4g.org
> Twitter: @foss4g
> Facebook: FOSS4G2015
> email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>

>> 2015. 4. 14., 오후 7:13, Steven Feldman <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> 작성:
>>
>> I don’t think that the following year’s budget should include several
>> thousand dollars for travel across continents and accommodation - I am
>> not sure what the benefit would be. I think we would expect an LOC who
>> has won the right to stage a FOSS4G would have several team members
>> who had attended one or more previous events (maybe that should be a
>> question that we should ask at the LoI stage).
>>
>> That said, I think it is reasonable for the current years FOSS4G to
>> offer a free attendance to someone from the next year’s LOC. The cost
>> would be small, but the delegate attending should pick up their own
>> travel and accommodation expenses.
>> ______
>> Steven
>>

>>> On 13 Apr 2015, at 13:47, Bart van den Eijnden <[hidden email]
>>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello conference committee,
>>>
>>> should the below be clarified in the RFP or is this already the case?
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Bart

NEWS:

-> Untergrunddaten in 3D - in Ihrem Browser? Kein Problem!
-> Wo steht OpenLayers 3? Lassen Sie sich von uns beraten

terrestris GmbH & Co. KG
Puetzchens Chaussee 56
53227 Bonn
Germany

Till Adams
Geschaeftsfuehrung

Tel: +49 (0)228 / 962 899-52
Mobile: +49 (0)151 / 2539 4429
Fax: +49 (0)228 / 962 899-57
Skype:  tilladams

[hidden email]
http://www.terrestris.de
Amtsgericht Bonn, HRA 6835

Komplementaerin:

terrestris Verwaltungs GmbH

vertreten durch:
Hinrich Paulsen, Till Adams

Re: [Board] next year's representative at FOSS4G Conference

Volker Mische
Hi all,

On 04/15/2015 09:53 AM, Till Adams wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In general OSGEO wants and more or less expects that the chair or
> another representative of the following conference is present on the
> preceding event. That's fair and also in my eyes more or less a "must".

I agree.

> But it is not sure, that my (above lined out) situation fits to all
> following chairs of a FOSS4G conference in future. So I think, there
> should be a binding agreement in general.
>
> If a company pays for all the costs for travelling, accomodation and
> also conference fees, the company expects (regardless whether the
> representative is shareholder or employee) that the person benefits from
> the conference in the sense of the company. This leads to the situation,
> that the next chair is present, but as a delegate and also by order of
> OSGEO.
> In my eyes, something does not really fit here.

I think that's OK. Being a chair is already a commitment to the OSGeo
from the company you work. So you have to play both roles (being a
representative of the company and the OSGeo).

> I think, if OSGEO really wants the chair/ a representative to invite to
> the following conference, the representative should be there by order of
> OSGEO. This is at least part of marketing and therefore in my eyes at
> least part of the marketing budget of the next conference -- if so that
> OSGEO does not care for this.

If there is budget, it should be from marketing, but I don't think there
should be a budget (see more below).

> The representative in case on his/her side should be expected to act
> professionally enough, not to mix up FOSS4G and company interests in
> that case. That's the same what e.g. Jeff as president or other board
> members do as well all the time (not to mix up!) ;-)

Agreed.

> The other way would be to write clearly down in the proposal-requests,
> that OSGEO expects the chair to be present on the preceding conference
> by on his/her own account.
>
> That's just what It think - regardless of what will be decided for now
> or for the conference from 2017 or whenever. For me personnally not that
> problem, I will come to Seoul anyway :-). But worth to start a
> discussion here.

I guess it's clear that it's good to have a representative at the
preceding FOSS4G. Though I would personally wonder if there really won't
be anyone attending. So far someone of the LOCs has been to previous
FOSS4G (I guess that's also often a reason to give such a LOC the
conference), so why shouldn't be someone be at the preceding one.

Hence I'm against having it part of the budget as mentioned in other
mails it can become quite costly, which would mean the attendees would
pay for it and I don't really see a huge benefit for them. I would
rather have a video presence then.

Another reason for not having it in the budget is that it would be
unfair due to the rotation of the location. Someone of the European
conference would always need to go "somewhere else", while the one of
the US conference would always travel to Europe (and  I expect that
"somewhere else" is often a bit more expensive).

Cheers,
   Volker

Re: [Board] next year's representative at FOSS4G Conference

Till Adams-3
Hi,

as said, it's not a problem for me, but I think this is an issue that
must be clarified in any direction.

So far.

Till

Am 15.04.2015 14:32, schrieb Volker Mische:

> [...]
> previous FOSS4G (I guess that's also often a reason to give such a LOC
> the conference), so why shouldn't be someone be at the preceding one.
>
> Hence I'm against having it part of the budget as mentioned in other
> mails it can become quite costly, which would mean the attendees would
> pay for it and I don't really see a huge benefit for them. I would
> rather have a video presence then.
>
> Another reason for not having it in the budget is that it would be
> unfair due to the rotation of the location. Someone of the European
> conference would always need to go "somewhere else", while the one of
> the US conference would always travel to Europe (and  I expect that
> "somewhere else" is often a bit more expensive).
>
> Cheers,
>   Volker

Re: [Board] next year's representative at FOSS4G Conference

Cameron Shorter
For a chair to be at prior FOSS4G events helps, but is not critical.
I chaired foss4g2009, but hadn't attended prior foss4g events.
I'd suggest that paying for attendance of a person at a prior foss4g
event should be factored into the budget and proposal of a bidding
foss4g city. If a city has a committee with a track record of attending
prior foss4g events, then it is a more compelling proposal.

Regards, Cameron

On 16/04/2015 12:35 am, Till Adams wrote:

> [...]
>> preceding FOSS4G. Though I would personally wonder if there really
>> won't be anyone attending. So far someone of the LOCs has been to
>> previous FOSS4G (I guess that's also often a reason to give such a
>> LOC the conference), so why shouldn't be someone be at the preceding
>> one.
>>
>> Hence I'm against having it part of the budget as mentioned in other
>> mails it can become quite costly, which would mean the attendees
>> would pay for it and I don't really see a huge benefit for them. I
>> would rather have a video presence then.
>>
>> Another reason for not having it in the budget is that it would be
>> unfair due to the rotation of the location. Someone of the European
>> conference would always need to go "somewhere else", while the one of
>> the US conference would always travel to Europe (and  I expect that
>> "somewhere else" is often a bit more expensive).

Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager
LISAsoft
Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf,
26 - 32 Pirrama Rd, Pyrmont NSW 2009

P +61 2 9009 5000,  W www.lisasoft.com,  F +61 2 9009 5099

Re: [Board] next year's representative at FOSS4G Conference

stevenfeldman
I had never attended a FOSS4G before becoming chair of the 2013 conference. Several of the LOC had attended previous events and provided that important experience

Regards
Steven