Fwd: [Board] Budgeting project event support for 2018

Fwd: [Board] Budgeting project event support for 2018

Markus Neteler

Hi PSC,

I think we should ask for more for 2018 which implies that we develop a spending plan. This is a bit overdue :)

Your comments are welcome!

Markus

Re: Fwd: [Board] Budgeting project event support for 2018

Moritz Lennert

Le 20 octobre 2017 17:11:51 GMT+02:00, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>Hi PSC,
>
>I think we should ask for more for 2018 which implies that we develop a
>spending plan. This is a bit overdue :)
>
>Your comments are welcome!

I think it might be good to plan at least one developer meeting per year, like the one Vero just proposed and to be able to pay some of the accommodation/food costs (obviously trying to find free or cheap solutions if possible) and maybe help one or two developers from further away to pay the trip.

Plus participation in one OSGEO code sprint, again trip / accommodation. So maybe we should aim for +/- 3000 ?

Moritz

>Markus

Veronica Andreo

Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2017 17:19:22 +0200
From: Moritz Lennert <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email], Markus Neteler <[hidden email]>,
        GRASS-PSC <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [GRASS-PSC] Fwd: [Board] Budgeting project event support
        for     2018

Le 20 octobre 2017 17:11:51 GMT+02:00, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>Hi PSC,
>
>I think we should ask for more for 2018 which implies that we develop a
>spending plan. This is a bit overdue :)
>
>Your comments are welcome!

I think it might be good to plan at least one developer meeting per year, like the one Vero just proposed and to be able to pay some of the accommodation/food costs (obviously trying to find free or cheap solutions if possible) and maybe help one or two developers from further away to pay the trip.

Plus participation in one OSGEO code sprint, again trip / accommodation. So maybe we should aim for +/- 3000 ?

while not psc, +1
Vero

On Oct 21, 2017 4:17 PM, "Veronica Andreo" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>From: Moritz Lennert <[hidden email]>
>> Le 20 octobre 2017 17:11:51 GMT+02:00, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>> >Hi PSC,
>> >
>> >I think we should ask for more for 2018 which implies that we develop a
>> >spending plan. This is a bit overdue :)
>> >
>> >Your comments are welcome!
>>
>> I think it might be good to plan at least one developer meeting per year, like the one Vero just proposed and to be able to pay some of the accommodation/food costs (obviously trying to find free or cheap solutions if possible) and maybe help one or two developers from further away to pay the trip.
>>
>> Plus participation in one OSGEO code sprint, again trip / accommodation. So maybe we should aim for +/- 3000 ?
>

> while not psc, +1

I have added 3500 USD for now in

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2018

Markus

Re: Fwd: [Board] Budgeting project event support for 2018

Helmut Kudrnovsky
Markus Neteler wrote
> On Oct 21, 2017 4:17 PM, "Veronica Andreo" &lt;

> veroandreo@

> &gt; wrote:
>>From: Moritz Lennert &lt;

> mlennert@.worldonline

> &gt;
>>> Le 20 octobre 2017 17:11:51 GMT+02:00, Markus Neteler &lt;

> neteler@

> &gt;

>>> I think it might be good to plan at least one developer meeting per
> year, like the one Vero just proposed and to be able to pay some of the
> accommodation/food costs (obviously trying to find free or cheap solutions
> if possible) and maybe help one or two developers from further away to pay
> the trip.
>>>
>>> Plus participation in one OSGEO code sprint, again trip / accommodation.
> So maybe we should aim for +/- 3000 ?
>>

>> while not psc, +1
>
> I have added 3500 USD for now in
>
> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2018

not a GRASS PSC member, but what about 5000 USD to get a nice dev group at
one place in order to reach/start the next target: GRASS 8?

-----
best regards
Helmut
--
Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/GRASS-PSC-f4051248.html
best regards
Helmut

On Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 11:23 PM, Helmut Kudrnovsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Markus Neteler wrote
>> I have added 3500 USD for now in
>>
>> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2018
>
> not a GRASS PSC member, but what about 5000 USD to get a nice dev group at
> one place in order to reach/start the next target: GRASS 8?

Could be! But we need to come up with a more detailed plan how we plan
to use the money, otherwise it will not be accepted.

I have drafted our budget for 2018 here:

https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Budget_2018

We could use that page to detail how we want to use the funding to be requested.

Comments are welcome,
Markus

Re: Fwd: [Board] Budgeting project event support for 2018

wenzeslaus

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 3:53 PM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 11:23 PM, Helmut Kudrnovsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Markus Neteler wrote
>> I have added 3500 USD for now in
>>
>> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2018
>
> not a GRASS PSC member, but what about 5000 USD to get a nice dev group at
> one place in order to reach/start the next target: GRASS 8?

Could be! But we need to come up with a more detailed plan how we plan
to use the money, otherwise it will not be accepted.

I have drafted our budget for 2018 here:

https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Budget_2018

We could use that page to detail how we want to use the funding to be requested.

I updated the budged draft. I added 2000 for travel money, 1500 for the sprint (based on 1st Genova sprint) and added price for promo things based on recent events (stickers for Boston) or online price estimates (alliedshirts.com). I was not sure how to mark it as a suggestion. Is more detail needed?

Best,
Vaclav

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 4:16 AM, Vaclav Petras <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 3:53 PM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 11:23 PM, Helmut Kudrnovsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Markus Neteler wrote

>> > not a GRASS PSC member, but what about 5000 USD to get a nice dev group
>> > at one place in order to reach/start the next target: GRASS 8?
>>
>> Could be! But we need to come up with a more detailed plan how we plan
>> to use the money, otherwise it will not be accepted.
>>
>> I have drafted our budget for 2018 here:
>>
>> https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Budget_2018
>>
>> We could use that page to detail how we want to use the funding to be
>> requested.
>

> I updated the budged draft. I added 2000 for travel money, 1500 for the
> sprint (based on 1st Genova sprint) and added price for promo things based
> on recent events (stickers for Boston) or online price estimates
> (alliedshirts.com). I was not sure how to mark it as a suggestion. Is more
> detail needed?

I guess not at time.

Here we stated 3,500 USD:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2018#OSGeo_Projects

I'd like to restart the funding possibilities for our project. For
that I already contacted the FOSSGIS e.V. board to understand if they
could provide be the financy entity for us.
Answer: generally yes but no guarantee that dedicated funds can be
directly used as we say but we would always need to formally request
funding along with voting by the FOSSGIS e.V. charter members.

If so, we may also want to look into different options.

Best,
Markus

Re: Fwd: [Board] Budgeting project event support for 2018

Martin Landa

>> I think it might be good to plan at least one developer meeting per year,
>> like the one Vero just proposed and to be able to pay some of the
>> accommodation/food costs (obviously trying to find free or cheap solutions
>> if possible) and maybe help one or two developers from further away to pay
>> the trip.

@Vero, why haven't you not requested for financial support (we have
still some money on budget [1])

>> Plus participation in one OSGEO code sprint, again trip / accommodation.
>> So maybe we should aim for +/- 3000 ?

Make sense to me. Ma

[1] https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Budget_2017

--
Martin Landa
http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa

Re: Fwd: [Board] Budgeting project event support for 2018

Veronica Andreo
Hi Martin,

>> I think it might be good to plan at least one developer meeting per year,
>> like the one Vero just proposed and to be able to pay some of the
>> accommodation/food costs (obviously trying to find free or cheap solutions
>> if possible) and maybe help one or two developers from further away to pay
>> the trip.

@Vero, why haven't you not requested for financial support (we have
still some money on budget [1])

I didn't need support for myself since it was in my house :), but if the others kept their train/flight tickets or so, can we make a request now? Or each one of them should do separately?

Thanks
Vero

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 10:41 AM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 4:16 AM, Vaclav Petras <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 3:53 PM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 11:23 PM, Helmut Kudrnovsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Markus Neteler wrote

>> > not a GRASS PSC member, but what about 5000 USD to get a nice dev group
>> > at one place in order to reach/start the next target: GRASS 8?
>>
>> Could be! But we need to come up with a more detailed plan how we plan
>> to use the money, otherwise it will not be accepted.
>>
>> I have drafted our budget for 2018 here:
>>
>> https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Budget_2018
>>
>> We could use that page to detail how we want to use the funding to be
>> requested.
>

> I updated the budged draft. I added 2000 for travel money, 1500 for the
> sprint (based on 1st Genova sprint) and added price for promo things based
> on recent events (stickers for Boston) or online price estimates
> (alliedshirts.com). I was not sure how to mark it as a suggestion. Is more
> detail needed?

I guess not at time.

Here we stated 3,500 USD:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2018#OSGeo_Projects

I updated that wiki page too and linked our 2017 and 2018 pages.

Re: Fwd: [Board] Budgeting project event support for 2018

Martin Landa
> I didn't need support for myself since it was in my house :), but if the
> others kept their train/flight tickets or so, can we make a request now? Or

I assume that you were drinking and eating something, right? ;-)

> each one of them should do separately?

Please create similar spreadsheet as for other sprints, eg.

https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Talk:GRASS_Community_Sprint_Genova_2017#How_much_money_is_needed.3F

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18Jx74WEqsuydSErTvCOfa_nhze54RUzc2BH5I49Z4Vg

Ma

--
Martin Landa
http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa
http://gismentors.cz/mentors/landa

Re: Fwd: [Board] Budgeting project event support for 2018

Markus Neteler
On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 4:16 AM, Vaclav Petras <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 3:53 PM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I have drafted our budget for 2018 here:
>>
>> https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Budget_2018
>>
>> We could use that page to detail how we want to use the funding to be
>> requested.
>

> I updated the budged draft. I added 2000 for travel money, 1500 for the
> sprint (based on 1st Genova sprint) and added price for promo things based
> on recent events (stickers for Boston) or online price estimates
> (alliedshirts.com). I was not sure how to mark it as a suggestion. Is more
> detail needed?

We need to keep this page updated:
https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Budget_2018

At time there are 5000 USD planned here (1500 + 3500), see
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2018

Best
Markus

On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 5:37 AM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 4:16 AM, Vaclav Petras <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 3:53 PM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I have drafted our budget for 2018 here:
>>
>> https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Budget_2018
>>
>> We could use that page to detail how we want to use the funding to be
>> requested.
>

> I updated the budged draft. I added 2000 for travel money, 1500 for the
> sprint (based on 1st Genova sprint) and added price for promo things based
> on recent events (stickers for Boston) or online price estimates
> (alliedshirts.com). I was not sure how to mark it as a suggestion. Is more
> detail needed?

We need to keep this page updated:
https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Budget_2018

At time there are 5000 USD planned here (1500 + 3500), see
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2018

Both seems in sync to me. I put 2000+1500 for events (grants+sprint) and 1500 (itemized) for promo materials. Do you see something else? Do you want to add something for website?

Vaclav

On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 6:01 PM, Vaclav Petras <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 5:37 AM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2018
>>

> Both seems in sync to me. I put 2000+1500 for events (grants+sprint) and
> 1500 (itemized) for promo materials. Do you see something else?

All fine, isn't it?

> Do you want to add something for website?

We still have no idea how to handle that...

Markus

On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 12:04 PM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 6:01 PM, Vaclav Petras <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 5:37 AM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2018
>>

> Both seems in sync to me. I put 2000+1500 for events (grants+sprint) and
> 1500 (itemized) for promo materials. Do you see something else?

All fine, isn't it?

At one point, I wanted to clean up the plan for USD vs EUR, but forgot about it. We will need to cover the difference from 2017 surplus if needed. If I remember correctly, the variation in prices I was trying to guess was higher than the exchange rate anyway.

Am 07.01.2018 8:38 nachm. schrieb "Vaclav Petras" <[hidden email]>:

On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 12:04 PM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 6:01 PM, Vaclav Petras <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 5:37 AM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2018
>>

> Both seems in sync to me. I put 2000+1500 for events (grants+sprint) and
> 1500 (itemized) for promo materials. Do you see something else?

All fine, isn't it?

At one point, I wanted to clean up the plan for USD vs EUR, but forgot about it. We will need to cover the difference from 2017 surplus if needed. If I remember correctly, the variation in prices I was trying to guess was higher than the exchange rate anyway.

We should not forget to actually make plans for our budget!

Community sprints are upcoming, what do we want to cover?

Markus