Fw: [cc-licenses] 4.0d2 ready for comment (BY-NC-SA and BY-SA)

Fw: [cc-licenses] 4.0d2 ready for comment (BY-NC-SA and BY-SA)

Brent Wood
I figure this is pretty relevant here...

I have been making a few comments in various CC forums as an individual,  is there any "official" relationship the OSGEO data committee can link up with CC, apart from just another voice on their list?

I'm not supposing that OSGEO will generally be supportive of all my comments, as I have one in particular which is not really consistent with Open/Free data.

I'll describe that here for comment:

My organisation is the national agency for a fair bit of environmental research. We regularly have staff appearing as expert witnesses, basically on the interpretation of environmental data. As such, we believe we have a role to ensure that data is not misused or misrepresented, without restraining scientific debate. Our licence is based on the UK Govt Open Licence (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/), specifically this clause imposing responsibilities on the user:

  • ensure that you do not mislead others or misrepresent the Information or its source;

  • Which allows us to revoke the licence for any user we believe breaches this. Obviously this is far from do-as-you-want Open Data, given the control it provides us, but unless we have such a safeguard, we will NOT be releasing the data.

    & back on topic... here is the forwarded message from Diane at CC inviting feedback on the draft CC4 proposal. Still a bit light in the data arena - this will be tightened up in the next draft.

    Brent Wood

    Re: Fw: [cc-licenses] 4.0d2 ready for comment (BY-NC-SA and BY-SA)

    Puneet Kishor

    On Aug 2, 2012, at 3:59 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

    > I figure this is pretty relevant here...

    Yes. Please contribute your thoughts to the CC-Wiki.

    > I have been making a few comments in various CC forums as an individual,  is there any "official" relationship the OSGEO data committee can link up with CC, apart from just another voice on their list?

    I should announce here to my OSGeo friends: as of yesterday, I am the new "Science Data Policy Coordinator" at Creative Commons. See http://bit.ly/OAD4Qy

    Unless I state so explicitly, I will not be speaking officially for CC here on this forum, but I will, of course, participate as a long-time OSGeo member who also happens to understand CC's work and approach. I hope to, with the help of my OSGeo family, to further my CC family's goal of making digital scientific data as open and accessible to everyone as possible.

    sidenote: I will be moving from Madison, WI where I have lived for two decades+, to the Bay Area before August ends. I hope to meet other OSGeo folks in that region.

    --
    Puneet Kishor