Fw: [OpenDroneMap-users] Mesh Plotter for LidarLITE

Fw: [OpenDroneMap-users] Mesh Plotter for LidarLITE

Dakota Benjamin

I think this is an interesting development problem space.

"It is not down in any map; true places never are."

      Herman Melville

Re: Fw: [OpenDroneMap-users] Mesh Plotter for LidarLITE

Stephen Mather-2
Dakota got a Lidar Lite from a friend... . I think affordable lidar scanners are going to rapidly become the norm, so we need to think through how they fit in to the photogrammetric workflow. Here are my initial thoughts:

LiDAR is cool, but requires accurate position and orientation info. Good sensors for position and orientation are expensive. Anecdotally, great orientation sensors are $20k. For RTK GPS, one can use Piksi at $1000 or other units at $10k and up, but this is still expensive.

I think the solution is to calculate the position and orientation of the sensor from photogrammetric info combined with GPS, and then use that to reverse calculate the LiDAR point cloud. I don't know yet what the accuracy will be, we'll at least be able to test the accuracy of photogrammetric positions (XYZ, but not orientation) from ODM if we use a dataset with RTK.

Thoughts?
Best,
Steve

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 1:09 PM, Dakota Benjamin <[hidden email]> wrote:

I think this is an interesting development problem space.

"It is not down in any map; true places never are."

      Herman Melville

Re: Fw: [OpenDroneMap-users] Mesh Plotter for LidarLITE

Dakota Benjamin

Many country/state/local governments release LiDAR data for free, which could be used for developing and testing this workflow.

For example: https://environmentagency.blog.gov.uk/2015/09/18/laser-surveys-light-up-open-data/