Future of ODM

Pedro Leão

Hi,
I work in a remote sensing startup and we love open-source. Especially because open GIS softwares are WAY better than the closed ones :-P

I know there is an amazing potential for OpenDroneMap in our projects since we mostly use orthophotos and DTMs to feed our AI algorithms.

My questions are simple yet complex:

1) How do you see ODM growing in terms of quality of its results (especially orthophotos and DSMs)? Do you think there's room for improvement?

2) In which way could we accelerate its improvement?

As an electrical engineer, I'm just trying to understand how big ODM can become in the GIS scenario and how can I help.

Thank you guys,
P.

Re: Future of ODM

Stephen Mather-2
Hi Pedro,

Until recently, there were two big gaps in ODM's capability: high quality texturing and production of dense point clouds. The first is solved in the following branch.

The output now for orthophotos is quite nice. More testing to come before it gets wrapped in, but so far the results from this approach look quite promising.

Cheers,
Best,
Steve