From Deqing (First UN World Geospatial Information Congress)

Maria Antonia Brovelli

Dear All

The First UN World Geospatial Information Congress will start in a few hours.  I was involved in the Academic Track Session and, together with Ivana Ivanova, we are presenting a contribution about "Open Science and Education" where there is also the description of our activities related to UN Open GIS (training and UN Challenge). Moreover, GeoForAll is also presented. Our presentation is on Wednesday (Ivana will present) and we are finishing it (we need to submit it by tomorrow). We will share with you after the submission.

I have a question related to the budget. We are more or less at the end of the year and there are no more meetings of the UN Open GIS. This year I attended the two that were organized (Uganda, US), using support from OSGeo only for the former. I'm kindly asking if there is somebody who is against the fact that OSGeo supports my travel here at the UN World Geospatial Information Congress (flight and VISA, no accommodation and meal), provided that we saved some money and this money is available in the UN Committee budget of this year.

Please reply if you have comments or doubts by the end of this week.

Best,

Maria

Please pay attention to these two opportunities:

A new IJGI Special Issue
"State-of-the-Art in Spatial Information Science"
(deadline for submissions: 1 may 2019)

A new Transaction in GIS  Special Issue
"Open Source Geospatial Science, Software and Education"
(deadline for abstract submissions: 15 february 2019)

Prof. Maria Antonia Brovelli
Professor of GIS and Digital Mapping
Politecnico di Milano

P.zza Leonardo da Vinci, 32 - Building 3 - 20133 Milano (Italy)

Tel. +39-02-23996242 - Mob. +39-328-0023867,  [hidden email][hidden email]

https://orcid.org/0000-0003-3161-556

Re: From Deqing (First UN World Geospatial Information Congress)

Bruce Bannerman-3
Hello Maria,

-1 from me.

For this type of meeting where the UN would like to take advantage of our/your expertise, I would expect the UN to cover travel and per diem.

This has been my experience with the UN related expert teams and similar meetings that I have been involved in.

I suggest that you ask the question of the people who have invited you.

They are probably waiting for a request for assistance.

Kind regards,

Bruce

On 19 Nov 2018, at 07:01, Maria Antonia Brovelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Dear Bruce

nobody invited me. I'm part of the UN GIIM Academic Network and this is the reason why I was asked if I wanted to present something. And I decided to have a presentation where to show also the activities of the UN Committee (and GeoForAll), as we are doing a lot of work (under the name of OSGeo). It is a way of showing what we are doing. We are a partner of the UN Open GIS Initiative, we are not paid for being a partner. In this specific case, I'm paying from my pocket for showing what we are doing as OSGeo.

Are you still involved in some UN project? Which project? Can you share your activities with the other people on the list? It could be of interest of everybody to know which activities are going on under the umbrella of OSGeo.

Many thanks!

Best

Maria

Please pay attention to these two opportunities:

A new IJGI Special Issue
"State-of-the-Art in Spatial Information Science"
(deadline for submissions: 1 may 2019)

A new Transaction in GIS  Special Issue
"Open Source Geospatial Science, Software and Education"
(deadline for abstract submissions: 15 february 2019)

Prof. Maria Antonia Brovelli
Professor of GIS and Digital Mapping
Politecnico di Milano

P.zza Leonardo da Vinci, 32 - Building 3 - 20133 Milano (Italy)

Tel. +39-02-23996242 - Mob. +39-328-0023867,  [hidden email][hidden email]

https://orcid.org/0000-0003-3161-556

Re: From Deqing (First UN World Geospatial Information Congress)

Serena Coetzee-2
Dear Maria,

I support your request. It is important for OSGeo to have a presence at the Congress. I am not aware of any delegates to the Congress being funded by the UN; delegates are typically funded by the governments/organizations who they present here, or they fund themselves.

Regards,
Serena

Sent from my iPhone

On 19 Nov 2018, at 07:58, Maria Antonia Brovelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Suchith Anand

+1 for Maria's request. OSGeo needs to make its strong presence  at this very important UNGGIM activities . The OSGeo UN committee was formed to make sure we also have a voice in the system.

Thank you Maria for your proactive role in this. We need to support our volunteers who are doing their best to provide OSGeo a voice and platform on this UN forum.

Best wishes,

Suchith

[...]

attachment.

where permitted by law.

Re: From Deqing (First UN World Geospatial Information Congress)

Bruce Bannerman-3
Hi Maria,

I’ve been involved in a number of Climate related teams for the best part of a decade. This has been as either team member, or as co-chair.

I have not been representing OSGeo in these activities, but do discuss such issues when appropriate (and declaring my interests in doing so).

You obviously understand the realities in your situation, so I won’t comment further on this.

Kind regards,

Bruce

On 19 Nov 2018, at 09:28, Maria Antonia Brovelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

R: From Deqing (First UN World Geospatial Information Congress)

Maria Antonia Brovelli
Thanks, Bruce! Climate is a so important issue. If there are some projects you want to share with this list, they are more than welcome and I think that you can find some more people here interested in contributing. Best!
Maria

Inviato dal mio dispositivo Samsung

Re: R: From Deqing (First UN World Geospatial Information Congress)

Cameron Shorter

Maria,

+0 from me to cover travel expenses, but not lost income. Like Bruce, I'm concerned that we are setting a poor precedent if an OSGeo non-for-profit representative is attending without expenses paid. I think it is important to recognise that our time and advice is valuable, that we have significantly less funding sources than other agencies, and that we are not in a position to sustainably keep paying to attend lots of events.

Having said that. I think that is likely pragmatic in this case to get our message put forward. Could you please reply with a "Return on Investment" statement. I suggest including:

An estimate of the costs.

Explain how far you are traveling. Explain that there is not a local person suitably qualified or available who could attend in your place (which could keep the cost down).

Explain what you what you intend to present (as you have done already), but also what outcomes you hope to achieve. An desired desired outcome might be to have the UN publicly commit to prioritising Open Source and Open Data in policy documentation.

Maria, I trust your motivations. I think that following this process of requesting for money will help with transparency and help people following in your footsteps to be considered trustworthy.

Warm regards, Cameron

On 20/11/18 12:02 am, Maria Antonia Brovelli wrote:
[...]

Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: R: From Deqing (First UN World Geospatial Information Congress)

Maria Antonia Brovelli

Dear Cameron

I agree with you that my time is valuable. I don't need presenting OSGeo and GeoForAll activities in such events and this solves the problem.  Many thanks and best regards,