Freemarker template editor in GeoServer GUI

Freemarker template editor in GeoServer GUI

Krunoslav Hrnjak
Since GetFeatureInfo is published using Freemarker template it would be nice to have at least possibility to edit header.ftl, content.ftl, and footer.ftl online trough GeoServer GUI. Editor would put template file in feature type folder. This would be rather powerful feature since it would enable GeoServer user to edit templates just like they edit styles for feature. Otherwise administrator who has access to file system has to put templates on the right position. It would also be nice if editor could have a syntax check, but plain text editor would be just fine.

Kind regards (hrv. Srdačno), Krunoslav

Re: Freemarker template editor in GeoServer GUI

geowolf
Hi,
I think it would be nice to have such editor, indeed. The issue is probably just finding developer time to do it.
Is it something you'd like to develop yourself?

Cheers
Andrea

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 9:51 AM Krunoslav Hrnjak <[hidden email]> wrote:
Since GetFeatureInfo is published using Freemarker template it would be nice to have at least possibility to edit header.ftl, content.ftl, and footer.ftl online trough GeoServer GUI. Editor would put template file in feature type folder. This would be rather powerful feature since it would enable GeoServer user to edit templates just like they edit styles for feature. Otherwise administrator who has access to file system has to put templates on the right position. It would also be nice if editor could have a syntax check, but plain text editor would be just fine.

Kind regards (hrv. Srdačno), Krunoslav

Re: Freemarker template editor in GeoServer GUI

Jean Pommier - PI geosolutions

Hi,

I had written a draft for such an editor 2 years ago. Alas, I didn't publish it soon enough (busy time, then lazy-time, then next time I tried, it didn't work with latest GS release) and now it needs some refreshing to work with last geoserver version.

It's still on my todolist to refresh this extension, but i'm a bit busy, so it might not happen before summer.

I think it worked for version 2.9 of geoserver. I can provide the code as-is, if you want.

Best,

Jean

Jean Pommier -- pi-Geosolutions

Ingénieur, consultant indépendant

Tél. : (+33) 6 09 23 21 36
E-mail : [hidden email]
Web : www.pi-geosolutions.fr

Le 26/03/2019 à 09:52, Andrea Aime a écrit :
[...]

Dear Andrea and Jean,
 I hope to see  Freemarker template editor on wish list. I understand it is a serious work for someone who is skillful enough. I have identified the pain and need for it and hope it will be recognized by some institution or company who are willing to adequately support this kind of development. As I understood Jean has a skills but not enough time for it. So I hope there is going to happen a "win win" situation by institution who will support it and Jaen who can deliver it.

On Tue, 26 Mar 2019 at 12:40, Jean Pommier <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

jody.garnett

It allows the management of resources (upload download icons) and editing of configuration files such as the freemarker templates.

I am quite font of this extension and would love to see it included in future releases. Volunteers welcome :)
--
Jody Garnett