Forgot the geoserver login password

ldong
Hi,

This is a simple question, but it is important. I forgot the password to
login to geoserver for web administration. It has to be a way to reset;
please help.

--
LingLing Dong
Lamont-Doherty Earth Observation of Columbia University

Re: Forgot the geoserver login password

Ben Caradoc-Davies-2
If you have write access to the data directory and have not set a master
password, you can change the admin password by editing:
security/usergroup/default/users.xml

Change the line like this:

<user enabled="true" name="admin"
password="digest1:D9miXH/hVgfxZJscMbfXtbtliG0WOxhLfsznyWfG38X2pda2JOSV4POi55PQI4tw"/>

<user enabled="true" name="admin" password="plain:PASSWORD"/>

where PASSWORD is your new temporary password in plain text. I do not
think you need to restart GeoServer.

This technique is also useful for scripted installations of GeoServer.

Because storing passwords in plain text is a bad practice, you should
log in and change the admin password again to ensure it is stored as a
digest (cryptographic hash), not as plain text: under Security /
Users/Groups/Roles / Users/Groups / click on admin / fill in a new
password (twice) and press Save.

Check security/usergroup/default/users.xml to satisfy yourself that the
password digest is now stored (not plain text).

Kind regards,
Ben.

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <[hidden email]>