[ForestryTools] Objectives / Plan / Outline

[ForestryTools] Objectives / Plan / Outline

Lee-3
Okay,

I've put together a quick and dirty outline of perhaps the minimum features necessary for some basic usability. The outline describes some of these features a little further than I think what's needed off the bat. In either case, I wanted to assemble some degree of a "vision".

I've also established some "guidelines" of ideally how we want whatever created to be used and available. Take a look at these things. I'm just one guy. I just slapped my ideas on the page as a place to start. There's no way I'll get far on this alone, so let's make sure it reflects what you guys want as well.

For the start, I think it's important we get something that's usable to the largest base of potential users so that we can attract interest and additional developers. At a later date, we can begin slapping in some of the more esoteric features.

Finally, I moved the wish-list discussion to the talk page. I also added some "current tasks" and established leaders for working on those tasks. I'm going to continue plugging away at turning some of my R code into Python. Likewise, Abdoul volunteered to begin working on figuring out the database side of things.

Jeff, do you still have inventory/data processing code and basic R calculations you're willing to share?

A couple things we should settle now:

1. We had a discussion early on regarding using Google Code or Github. Qgis is on github, so using github would reflect current development. Github also has a wider userbase within our community. A google code group has already been established. It's also easier to use and is- from my perspective- better for collaboration and discussion. I can't seem to find a github... but I thought one had been created. In either case, it wouldn't be difficult. What do you guys want to use? Any preference?

2. Database: we began an early discussion around PostGreSQL/PostGIS or Spatialite. Spatialite is easier to setup and potentially more understandable to the non-technical user. PostGIS takes a bit of work to use and understand, but is far more robust. Potentially, we could start on one and offer support for both as the project progresses or needs arise. Personally, I tend to favor spatialite since I'm trying to encourage more use and we need as simple installation as possible. However, I understand it's limitations. Thoughts?

Let's get moving!

--
All the best,
Lee

Re: [ForestryTools] Objectives / Plan / Outline

Tyler Mitchell-5
Hi Lee,

Your thoughts on http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Forestry_Tools are looking good to me.
I'm in favour of Github and spatialite as well.  Portability early on can help to really get more eyeballs looking at the project.

I didn't see any existing project in github for this, but anyone can start one and then we all just clone it and contribute back as needed.
I'm fine with starting one unless others have something already or think it should be under some sort of "group" id.

As an aside, I see a user "mbask" has a github repository called "forestry" (https://github.com/mbask?tab=repositories) and includes some R... I'll email him to see if he wants to join us or maybe he has :)  You R gurus might like to see his stuff.

Tyler

Re: [ForestryTools] Objectives / Plan / Outline

Lee-3

Thanks Tyler,

I saw that user when looking earlier today. I had a similar thought, so thanks for following up on that.

Jeff had mentioned a good idea earlier to put together a one page on github about using it to contribute to this group. Since we do need to setup a github, anyone interested in tackling both the setup and simple one page together?

On May 27, 2013 11:35 AM, "Tyler Mitchell" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Lee,

Your thoughts on http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Forestry_Tools are looking good to me.
I'm in favour of Github and spatialite as well.  Portability early on can help to really get more eyeballs looking at the project.

I didn't see any existing project in github for this, but anyone can start one and then we all just clone it and contribute back as needed.
I'm fine with starting one unless others have something already or think it should be under some sort of "group" id.

As an aside, I see a user "mbask" has a github repository called "forestry" (https://github.com/mbask?tab=repositories) and includes some R... I'll email him to see if he wants to join us or maybe he has :)  You R gurus might like to see his stuff.

Tyler

Re: [ForestryTools] Objectives / Plan / Outline

dia.abdoul
Hi Lee,

Thanks for the effort you've done. The framework is a good starting point. I agree with you as well Tyler on choosing spatialite and setting up a github. So I can understand that Tyler will be in charge of starting it? Am I wrong?

I've had a glance on the link mentioned by Tyler ("forestry" (https://github.com/mbask?tab=repositories)) and it seems quite interesting. I'll go bit in depth to it.

We are on truck...

All the best

Abdoul

Re: [ForestryTools] Objectives / Plan / Outline

Lee-3
I've got github going at https://github.com/Forestry/ for an organization. I've created a repo for this project "forestry-toolkit", but haven't yet put anything in it. I'm happy to add some other "owners" to this group to keep things flowing.

So, who needs added?

Abdoul or Tyler, would you mind putting together a one-pager on some protocol for work flow and committing to github so we're all on the same page? I think this is better left to someone more familiar with other projects to keep things as standard as possible. Essentially, we just need a bit of framework for moving forward and reduce as many barriers as possible for future contributors.

I'll start putting together some messy python functions for various forestry operations this week. We're also going to need to begin figuring out how to access some of the QGIS operations we'll need through python.

--

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 5:41 PM, Abdoul O. Dia <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Lee,

Thanks for the effort you've done. The framework is a good starting point. I agree with you as well Tyler on choosing spatialite and setting up a github. So I can understand that Tyler will be in charge of starting it? Am I wrong?

I've had a glance on the link mentioned by Tyler ("forestry" (https://github.com/mbask?tab=repositories)) and it seems quite interesting. I'll go bit in depth to it.

We are on truck...

All the best

Abdoul

Re: [ForestryTools] Objectives / Plan / Outline

dia.abdoul
Hi Tyler,

Can you get in touch so we can prepare a one-pager on a work flow protocol for gitHub commit if you are available. In the meanwhile any idea is welcome to help move on.

Abdoul

Le 2013-05-28 19:59, Lee a écrit :
[...]

Who is allowed to access to the repos. Is-it public or there is some kind of privileges that is given? You are the manager of the repos, I guess?

Abdoul

Le 2013-05-28 19:59, Lee a écrit :
[...]

Hi guys, yes I'll try to get something together this weekend.

j.m

Re: [ForestryTools] Objectives / Plan / Outline

j.m

Abdoul

Take a look here if you did not already

http://git-scm.com/book/en/Getting-Started-Git-Basics

I think it explains very well how the system works. I’m very new to Github too and know very little about it yet. The way I understand the system, everybody can update the files without a problem because a snapshot is made of the situation as it appears at the time of the snapshot. You can go back to an earlier version simply by looking at another of the snapshots.

Maybe I misunderstood some things, but check it out at the link above

Jake

Re: [ForestryTools] Objectives / Plan / Outline

Lee-3
Yes. I am currently the owner of the github forestry group. Ideally, I'd like to add other owners to the forestry tools repository. Probably starting with you, Abdoul. Do you have a user account already that I can add?

Once given access, you could probably start by getting that readme up and going. I'm in the process of cleaning up my R-code before transitioning it to Python (it's a mess of loops, rather than functions -- fixing that as we speak).

--

Le 2013-05-28 19:59, Lee a écrit :
[...]

You're added.

--
All the best,
Lee
ISA Certified Arborist MI-4148A
Registered Forester #46043

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 10:56 PM, Abdoul O. Dia <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, I do. Here, it's: diaAbdoul