Fiji's - Letter of Intent - FOSS4G SotM Pasifika 2020

Fiji's - Letter of Intent - FOSS4G SotM Pasifika 2020

Vasiti Soko
Bula,

On behalf of the committee members copied in this email, I hereby submit Fiji's Letter of Intent to host FOSS4G SotM Pasifika in the year 2020.

Our LOI can be found here:

A copy of LOI is also attached.

Please feel free to contact us should you require additional information.

Many thanks,
vasiti

Re: Fiji's - Letter of Intent - FOSS4G SotM Pasifika 2020

adam steer-2
Hi Vasiti, all

Thanks for this proposal, it is fantastic to see broad support and energy in the region for open geospatial systems!

While I’m not in a decision making position on this, I have two questions broadly:

1. how will this proposal address continuity / handover of experiences between current conference committees and future ones? It’s worked well so far to have a mix of old/new people on the committee, and reduces the risk of an event being organised ‘in a bubble'. On a related tangent, it would be fantastic to expose more ‘big islanders’ to how small islands in our region do things in a logistics/political sense. I don’t see clearly how to achieve that without growing the LoC excessively - perhaps local leads with helpers from all over the place?

2. branding: pasifika/oceania? both terms are used to describe the event. I can see where you’re coming from with joining efforts between an existing Pacific Islands OSGeo chapter and the newly minted Oceania chapter - to me it doesn’t matter which way the brand goes, just pick one :D

I wish this proposal all the best, and hope to see it come to life!

Regards,

Adam

On Tue, 10 Sep 2019 at 16:02, Alex Leith <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Edwin Liava'a
Hi Adam,

I will vote "Yes" to:

1.  Local leads with helpers from all over the place.

2. FOSS4G Pasifika 2020

cheers,

Ed

On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 at 12:05, adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Chief Executive Officer
Tonga Cable Limited
Vuna Road, Sopu
P O Box 33, Nuku’alofa, Tonga
Telephone: (+676) 21616
Web: www.tongacable.to | Email: [hidden email]

               武士道
"Always At Your Service"

DISCLAIMER:
This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee and may contain confidential information. If you have received this message in error, please send it back to me, and immediately delete it. Please do not use copy or disclose the information contained in this message or any attachment. Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this email do not necessarily reflect the views of the Tonga Cable Limited (TCL). This message has been checked for viruses but the contents of an attachment may still contain software viruses which could damage your computer system, you are advised to perform your own checks.

Re: Fiji's - Letter of Intent - FOSS4G SotM Pasifika 2020

Andrew Harvey-2
> FOSS4G Pasifika 2020

For clarification, is the intent to host a joint FOSS4G + SotM conference or just FOSS4G? The letter of intent sometimes drops the SotM component other times includes it so just looking to clarify this please.

Re: Fiji's - Letter of Intent - FOSS4G SotM Pasifika 2020

Vasiti Soko
Thank you, Adam and we as committee agree in principle with you

In summary with all the questions raised yesterday - please find our feedback below

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In reference to your queries, we believe that the adage 'if it ain't broke, dont fix it' is quite apt. Therefore we would like to continue with the original template of having the existing committee members working in collaboration with new members in making the event a successful one. In short - Locals lead with lots and lots of helpers

We have also agreed on the brand name to be used i.e. FOSS4G SotM Oceania - Pasifika to further illustrate the geographical importance of all the small island states with our bigger neighbors Australia and New Zealand, and of course the wider SotM community for more international inclusiveness. In short, we conquer to use " FOSS4G SotM Oceania - Pasifika"

Our colleague Edwin will be making the changes to our LOI online to reflect the above

On behalf of the committee
vasiti

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 12:23 PM adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Vasiti,

Thanks for your very open consideration of the questions raised here, it’s really confidence inspiring to see.

A quick comment following up from Andrew’s question and based on the google doc: SotM is the ‘brand’ for conferences of the OpenStreetMap community

…and an unsolicited opinion which I hope doesn’t conflict with OSGeo Oceania board directives/visions/??: the SotM (State of the Map) component is really important and in my mind should be always part of the branding / event plan for OSGeo Oceania supported events. We want both OSGeo and OpenStreetMap represented.

Maybe one day we can come up with less verbose branding for our regional conferences which is inclusive of OSGeo *and* OSM.

Regards,

Adam

On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 at 13:48, Vasiti Soko <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok everybody

I have copied this question in the google doc

pls answer there then we can summarise all into 1 statement

On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 3:45 PM Andrew Harvey <[hidden email]> wrote:
> FOSS4G Pasifika 2020

For clarification, is the intent to host a joint FOSS4G + SotM conference or just FOSS4G? The letter of intent sometimes drops the SotM component other times includes it so just looking to clarify this please.

Re: Fiji's - Letter of Intent - FOSS4G SotM Pasifika 2020

Edwin Liava'a
Hi All,

cheers,

Ed