Feedback in testing PROJ v5.0.0 with GeoMOOSE

Feedback in testing PROJ v5.0.0 with GeoMOOSE

jmckenna
Administrator
Hi all,

I have been testing the RC5 package of the upcoming PROJ 5.0.0 release
(http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/proj/2018-February/008045.html) on
Windows in the MS4W environment (with MapServer-branch-7-0 and GDAL 2.2.3).

I was shocked when I loaded the GM3 demo in my browser and saw a totally
blank/white opening map image!!!?! (the normally green line layer of
parcels, from demo/parcels/parcels.map, did not appear)

I was stuck on that too long, wondering if I was somehow using the wrong
API for this new PROJ (see upcoming release notes at bottom of
http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/proj/2018-February/007966.html), and
going down many rabbit holes with logs etc.

In the end.....if I zoom out then of course the parcels appear.

Can someone else confirm this?  (it could of course only be happening in
my environment)

Does the stock GM3-demo opening map image appear normal for you, using
PROJ 5.0.0 RC5 ?

Please let me know.

Thanks!

(and now i can have a weekend, this was bugging me too much, ha!)

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/

Re: Feedback in testing PROJ v5.0.0 with GeoMOOSE

James Klassen
Do you want someone to try and build Proj5/GDAL/MapServer on Linux and test?

Is there a MS4W beta we can test against?

I see two likely options for what happened:

The simple answer is GeoMoose/the browser remembered where you were zoomed to last.  Things working as expected after removing the URL after the # or using the start over tool would confirm this.

The problematic answer is if MapServer's reprojection of the features from 26915 to 3857 changed and you had to zoom out from the default extent to see the features.

On Feb 24, 2018 17:56, "Jeff McKenna" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

FYI: I built MapServer 7.0.7+g9297c, GDAL 2.2.3, r41553, and PROJ 5.0.0
on Linux and it appears to work correctly with the GeoMoose3 demo.

On 02/24/2018 05:56 PM, Jeff McKenna wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have been testing the RC5 package of the upcoming PROJ 5.0.0 release
> (http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/proj/2018-February/008045.html)
> on Windows in the MS4W environment (with MapServer-branch-7-0 and GDAL
> 2.2.3).
>
> I was shocked when I loaded the GM3 demo in my browser and saw a
> totally blank/white opening map image!!!?! (the normally green line
> layer of parcels, from demo/parcels/parcels.map, did not appear)
>
> I was stuck on that too long, wondering if I was somehow using the
> wrong API for this new PROJ (see upcoming release notes at bottom of
> http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/proj/2018-February/007966.html),
> and going down many rabbit holes with logs etc.
>
> In the end.....if I zoom out then of course the parcels appear.
>
> Can someone else confirm this?  (it could of course only be happening
> in my environment)
>
> Does the stock GM3-demo opening map image appear normal for you, using
> PROJ 5.0.0 RC5 ?
>
> Please let me know.
>
> Thanks!
>
> (and now i can have a weekend, this was bugging me too much, ha!)
>
> -jeff

Re: Feedback in testing PROJ v5.0.0 with GeoMOOSE

jmckenna
Administrator
Unfortunately that is incorrect, what is likely happening in your case
is related to caching in your browser.  You can read the long thread
starting at my report for the RC6 release (I was testing from source on
Ubuntu 14.04 and Windows) at
http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/proj/2018-February/008082.html

This will break all MapServer (and GDAL, PostGIS, GRASS GIS,...)
services outputting to the Google "Web Mercator".  You can read in that
thread how I asked for an immediate RC7 release with that fix.

The PROJ team chose to release anyway (the fix was actually applied to
master before the release, but it will be available to all in the 5.0.1
release).

I again encourage *everyone* to provide feedback directly to the PROJ
community (there is even a Github ticket, if you prefer to give feedback
that way instead): https://github.com/OSGeo/proj.4/issues/834

-jeff

On 2018-03-03 5:04 AM, Jim Klassen wrote:

> FYI: I built MapServer 7.0.7+g9297c, GDAL 2.2.3, r41553, and PROJ 5.0.0
> on Linux and it appears to work correctly with the GeoMoose3 demo.
>

> On 02/24/2018 05:56 PM, Jeff McKenna wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have been testing the RC5 package of the upcoming PROJ 5.0.0 release
>> (http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/proj/2018-February/008045.html)
>> on Windows in the MS4W environment (with MapServer-branch-7-0 and GDAL
>> 2.2.3).
>>
>> I was shocked when I loaded the GM3 demo in my browser and saw a
>> totally blank/white opening map image!!!?! (the normally green line
>> layer of parcels, from demo/parcels/parcels.map, did not appear)
>>
>> I was stuck on that too long, wondering if I was somehow using the
>> wrong API for this new PROJ (see upcoming release notes at bottom of
>> http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/proj/2018-February/007966.html),
>> and going down many rabbit holes with logs etc.
>>
>> In the end.....if I zoom out then of course the parcels appear.
>>
>> Can someone else confirm this?  (it could of course only be happening
>> in my environment)
>>
>> Does the stock GM3-demo opening map image appear normal for you, using
>> PROJ 5.0.0 RC5 ?
>>
>> Please let me know.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> (and now i can have a weekend, this was bugging me too much, ha!)
>>
>> -jeff

Re: Feedback in testing PROJ v5.0.0 with GeoMOOSE

James Klassen
Ok.  I am glad it is fixes.  I wonder what I was seeing then.

Looks like I missed the proj revert #22 commit by a few minutes when I did my testing, so it wasn't that.