Feature freeze extension request

3nids
Hi all,

I am currently implementing a new logarithmic method for graduated renderer.

Despite, the non-selection of the grant proposal for the refactoring of the graduated classification method [0], I have decided to still do the refactoring to avoid cluttering the code even more. The refactoring has required a bit more work than thought and I will not be able to bring the whole in by tomorrow.

(Also, the Travis issues have taken a bit of time lately)

I would like therefore to ask for a one week extension for both the core refactoring and the new feature (logarithmic method).

The core refactoring can be seen currently here

Considering that
* it's much safer to add a new method within a refactored code
* this refactoring is very well defined and contained (it does not modify lots of files)
* enough time is left before release
* next release is LTR (better bring new API asap)
* it's safer to merge in a week when it has been crossed-reviewed rather than tomorrow in a hurry and in an incomplete state.

I believe this is the reasonable choice.

I'll be of course fully available during the freeze for any bugfix / followup.

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Denis

Re: Feature freeze extension request

Nyall Dawson
On Fri, 30 Aug 2019 at 08:54, Denis Rouzaud <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would like therefore to ask for a one week extension for both the core refactoring and the new feature (logarithmic method).

I think this same exception could/should apply to some other open
work. In particular I have in mind Hugo's selective masking work
(https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/30747) and the snapping cache
changes (https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/31374). Both PRs have been
in place for a number of weeks, both are VERY critical changes which
must not be rushed due to the potential impact of regressions in these
code areas.

I'd much prefer to see an extra week spent on these PRs vs having them
rush merged today to avoid the freeze deadline.

Nyall

Re: Feature freeze extension request

Alessandro Pasotti-2
+1 for all three PRs

On Fri, Aug 30, 2019, 00:58 Nyall Dawson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, 30 Aug 2019 at 08:54, Denis Rouzaud <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would like therefore to ask for a one week extension for both the core refactoring and the new feature (logarithmic method).

I think this same exception could/should apply to some other open
work. In particular I have in mind Hugo's selective masking work
(https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/30747) and the snapping cache
changes (https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/31374). Both PRs have been
in place for a number of weeks, both are VERY critical changes which
must not be rushed due to the potential impact of regressions in these
code areas.

I'd much prefer to see an extra week spent on these PRs vs having them
rush merged today to avoid the freeze deadline.

Nyall

Re: Feature freeze extension request

pcav
Hi Alessandro,

On 30/08/19 07:55, Alessandro Pasotti wrote:
> +1 for all three PRs

you mean you're in favour of extending freeze by a week to allow review
and merge of these 3 PRs?
Cheers.

> On Fri, Aug 30, 2019, 00:58 Nyall Dawson <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On Fri, 30 Aug 2019 at 08:54, Denis Rouzaud <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     > I would like therefore to ask for a one week extension for both
>     the core refactoring and the new feature (logarithmic method).
>     >
>
>     I think this same exception could/should apply to some other open
>     work. In particular I have in mind Hugo's selective masking work
>     (https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/30747) and the snapping cache
>     changes (https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/31374). Both PRs have been
>     in place for a number of weeks, both are VERY critical changes which
>     must not be rushed due to the potential impact of regressions in these
>     code areas.
>
>     I'd much prefer to see an extra week spent on these PRs vs having them
>     rush merged today to avoid the freeze deadline.
>
>     Nyall

Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: Feature freeze extension request

Hugo Mercier

On 30/08/2019 00:57, Nyall Dawson wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Aug 2019 at 08:54, Denis Rouzaud <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I would like therefore to ask for a one week extension for both the core refactoring and the new feature (logarithmic method).
>>

> I think this same exception could/should apply to some other open
> work. In particular I have in mind Hugo's selective masking work
> (https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/30747) and the snapping cache
> changes (https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/31374). Both PRs have been
> in place for a number of weeks, both are VERY critical changes which
> must not be rushed due to the potential impact of regressions in these
> code areas.
>
> I'd much prefer to see an extra week spent on these PRs vs having them
> rush merged today to avoid the freeze deadline.

Thanks for raising this Nyall.

Actually I was about to change the 3.10 milestone to 3.12 on my
selective masking PR, since there is still some work to do, the funders
are ok to postpone, and I prefer to merge it in a cleaner state because
it is not a trivial change.

However, with one extra week, there is a higher chance the work gets
finished and reviewed for merging :-)

Hugo

Re: Feature freeze extension request

Alessandro Pasotti-2
Yes, sorry for being short, I am on holiday with mobile phone only.

On Fri, Aug 30, 2019, 09:14 Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Alessandro,

On 30/08/19 07:55, Alessandro Pasotti wrote:
> +1 for all three PRs

you mean you're in favour of extending freeze by a week to allow review
and merge of these 3 PRs?
Cheers.

> On Fri, Aug 30, 2019, 00:58 Nyall Dawson <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On Fri, 30 Aug 2019 at 08:54, Denis Rouzaud <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     > I would like therefore to ask for a one week extension for both
>     the core refactoring and the new feature (logarithmic method).
>     >
>
>     I think this same exception could/should apply to some other open
>     work. In particular I have in mind Hugo's selective masking work
>     (https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/30747) and the snapping cache
>     changes (https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/31374). Both PRs have been
>     in place for a number of weeks, both are VERY critical changes which
>     must not be rushed due to the potential impact of regressions in these
>     code areas.
>
>     I'd much prefer to see an extra week spent on these PRs vs having them
>     rush merged today to avoid the freeze deadline.
>
>     Nyall

Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: Feature freeze extension request

pcav
Thanks Alessandro for clarifying.
Opinions?
Cheers.

On 30/08/19 10:00, Alessandro Pasotti wrote:

> Yes, sorry for being short, I am on holiday with mobile phone only.
>
> On Fri, Aug 30, 2019, 09:14 Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Alessandro,
>
>     On 30/08/19 07:55, Alessandro Pasotti wrote:
>     > +1 for all three PRs
>
>     you mean you're in favour of extending freeze by a week to allow review
>     and merge of these 3 PRs?
>     Cheers.
>
>     > On Fri, Aug 30, 2019, 00:58 Nyall Dawson <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     > <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>>
>     wrote:
>     >
>     >     On Fri, 30 Aug 2019 at 08:54, Denis Rouzaud
>     <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     >     <mailto:[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:
>     >
>     >     > I would like therefore to ask for a one week extension for both
>     >     the core refactoring and the new feature (logarithmic method).
>     >     >
>     >
>     >     I think this same exception could/should apply to some other open
>     >     work. In particular I have in mind Hugo's selective masking work
>     >     (https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/30747) and the snapping cache
>     >     changes (https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/31374). Both PRs
>     have been
>     >     in place for a number of weeks, both are VERY critical changes
>     which
>     >     must not be rushed due to the potential impact of regressions
>     in these
>     >     code areas.
>     >
>     >     I'd much prefer to see an extra week spent on these PRs vs
>     having them
>     >     rush merged today to avoid the freeze deadline.
>     >
>     >     Nyall
>     >     _______________________________________________
>     >     Qgis-psc mailing list
>     >     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>     >     https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-psc
>     >
>     >
>     > Qgis-psc mailing list
>     > https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-psc
>     >
>
>     --
>     Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu <http://www.faunalia.eu>
>     QGIS.ORG <http://QGIS.ORG> Chair:
>     http://planet.qgis.org/planet/user/28/tag/qgis%20board/

Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: Feature freeze extension request

Marco Bernasocchi-2
I also agree on allowing extension for all
cheers

On Sat, 31 Aug 2019, 10:44 Paolo Cavallini, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Alessandro for clarifying.
Opinions?
Cheers.

On 30/08/19 10:00, Alessandro Pasotti wrote:
> Yes, sorry for being short, I am on holiday with mobile phone only.
>
> On Fri, Aug 30, 2019, 09:14 Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Alessandro,
>
>     On 30/08/19 07:55, Alessandro Pasotti wrote:
>     > +1 for all three PRs
>
>     you mean you're in favour of extending freeze by a week to allow review
>     and merge of these 3 PRs?
>     Cheers.
>
>     > On Fri, Aug 30, 2019, 00:58 Nyall Dawson <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     > <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>>
>     wrote:
>     >
>     >     On Fri, 30 Aug 2019 at 08:54, Denis Rouzaud
>     <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     >     <mailto:[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:
>     >
>     >     > I would like therefore to ask for a one week extension for both
>     >     the core refactoring and the new feature (logarithmic method).
>     >     >
>     >
>     >     I think this same exception could/should apply to some other open
>     >     work. In particular I have in mind Hugo's selective masking work
>     >     (https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/30747) and the snapping cache
>     >     changes (https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/31374). Both PRs
>     have been
>     >     in place for a number of weeks, both are VERY critical changes
>     which
>     >     must not be rushed due to the potential impact of regressions
>     in these
>     >     code areas.
>     >
>     >     I'd much prefer to see an extra week spent on these PRs vs
>     having them
>     >     rush merged today to avoid the freeze deadline.
>     >
>     >     Nyall
>     >     _______________________________________________
>     >     Qgis-psc mailing list
>     >     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>     >     https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-psc
>     >
>     >
>     > _______________________________________________
>     > Qgis-psc mailing list
>     > [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     > https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-psc
>     >
>
>     --
>     Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu <http://www.faunalia.eu>
>     QGIS.ORG <http://QGIS.ORG> Chair:
>     http://planet.qgis.org/planet/user/28/tag/qgis%20board/

Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: Feature freeze extension request

Andreas Neumann-3

I am fine with the feature freeze exception for these three major changes only - if the core devs who can assess this matter are confident that this work can be finished in the coming week - and that these changes will not have any major negative impacts on the rest of QGIS.

Thanks and greetings,
Andreas

On Sat, 31 Aug 2019 at 09:44, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Alessandro for clarifying.
Opinions?
Cheers.

On 30/08/19 10:00, Alessandro Pasotti wrote:
> Yes, sorry for being short, I am on holiday with mobile phone only.
>
> On Fri, Aug 30, 2019, 09:14 Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Alessandro,
>
>     On 30/08/19 07:55, Alessandro Pasotti wrote:
>     > +1 for all three PRs
>
>     you mean you're in favour of extending freeze by a week to allow review
>     and merge of these 3 PRs?
>     Cheers.
>
>     > On Fri, Aug 30, 2019, 00:58 Nyall Dawson <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     > <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>>
>     wrote:
>     >
>     >     On Fri, 30 Aug 2019 at 08:54, Denis Rouzaud
>     <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     >     <mailto:[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:
>     >
>     >     > I would like therefore to ask for a one week extension for both
>     >     the core refactoring and the new feature (logarithmic method).
>     >     >
>     >
>     >     I think this same exception could/should apply to some other open
>     >     work. In particular I have in mind Hugo's selective masking work
>     >     (https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/30747) and the snapping cache
>     >     changes (https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/31374). Both PRs
>     have been
>     >     in place for a number of weeks, both are VERY critical changes
>     which
>     >     must not be rushed due to the potential impact of regressions
>     in these
>     >     code areas.
>     >
>     >     I'd much prefer to see an extra week spent on these PRs vs
>     having them
>     >     rush merged today to avoid the freeze deadline.
>     >
>     >     Nyall
>     >     _______________________________________________
>     >     Qgis-psc mailing list
>     >     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>     >     https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-psc
>     >
>     >
>     > _______________________________________________
>     > Qgis-psc mailing list
>     > [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     > https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-psc
>     >
>
>     --
>     Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu <http://www.faunalia.eu>
>     QGIS.ORG <http://QGIS.ORG> Chair:
>     http://planet.qgis.org/planet/user/28/tag/qgis%20board/

Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Andreas Neumann
QGIS.ORG board member (treasurer)

Re: Feature freeze extension request

Anita Graser

On Sat, Aug 31, 2019 at 3:21 PM Andreas Neumann <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I am fine with the feature freeze exception for these three major changes only - if the core devs who can assess this matter are confident that this work can be finished in the coming week - and that these changes will not have any major negative impacts on the rest of QGIS.

+1

Anita