FW: What tools do you use for JS development?

FW: What tools do you use for JS development?

Mark Paxton (C)

Hello OpenLayers developers,

I’m always on a mission to find the fastest and most powerful tools for software development, and it seems particularly for JS the current tools seem to be a bit behind the equivalents for Java, PHP, etc.

I’d be really interested to hear what tools are used by OpenLayers developers – how your environment is set up, etc.

To give you an idea, this is my current setup:

Windows XP Pro SP3 x86 (I’m fixed on this for now)

Java 7

Perl (Strawberry Perl)

Python 2.7.2

Netbeans 7.3

Firefox+firebug, Chrome, etc.

I use an HTML5 project within Netbeans, then a combination of the Netbeans Chrome plugin and Chrome JS debugger for normal use. I also use Firefox and Firebug for testing from time to time as well.

Netbeans does seem to hang up quite frequently and can be a bit slow, but does seem to do a relatively good job of formatting the code. I’ve turned off the JSLint plugin though as it seems way too naggy about some elements.

It’d be great to get an understanding of what other people are using at the moment and why.

Thanks,

Mark

This email is only intended for the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential information. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete this email which must not be copied, distributed or disclosed to any other person.

Unless stated otherwise, the contents of this email are personal to the writer and do not represent the official view of Ordnance Survey. Nor can any contract be formed on Ordnance Survey's behalf via email. We reserve the right to monitor emails and attachments without prior notice.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ordnance Survey
Adanac Drive
Southampton SO16 0AS
Tel: 08456 050505
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk

Re: FW: What tools do you use for JS development?

Phil Scadden
Cant really contribute much here as I have pretty much same setup -
netbeans, java 6/7, (need 6 as critical toolkit arent stable in 7),
firebug. Most of stuff in ExtJS framework. As might be guessed from that
setup, backend is tomcat, JSP, with  Spring to provide Extdirect.

Conveniences like code completion a bit more tricky to provide for JS
than for java, and compiled languages.

Notice: This email and any attachments are confidential.
If received in error please destroy and immediately notify us.
Do not copy or disclose the contents.

Re: What tools do you use for JS development? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Robert Mcauliffe

My dev stack:

Windows XP (stuck on this at work, if deving at home I use Ubuntu)
Java 7
Tomcat/JSP/Java
Netbeans 7.3
Firefox+firebug (sometimes using Chrome with debugger instead).

I end up using a combination of HTML5 projects and the standard web project depending on the back-end needs of the app.

Cheers,
Rob

Re: FW: What tools do you use for JS development?

Matt Priour
I used to use Eclipse with the Aptana plugin or just the Web Developer Tools plugin (without Aptana, the 2 don't seem to work well together)
I currently use SublimeText. (sublimetext.com)
I'm seriously considering, though not totally ready to switch to Brackets (brackets.io)
I've also been helping some people that are using the latest Visual Studio Web Developer Express and it is better than Aptana or Eclipse at this point in time if you are windows only and already comfortable with the Visual Studio IDE.
Matt Priour

Matt Priour
(830) 258-1339

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 4:08 PM, Phil Scadden <[hidden email]> wrote:
Cant really contribute much here as I have pretty much same setup - netbeans, java 6/7, (need 6 as critical toolkit arent stable in 7), firebug. Most of stuff in ExtJS framework. As might be guessed from that setup, backend is tomcat, JSP, with  Spring to provide Extdirect.

Conveniences like code completion a bit more tricky to provide for JS than for java, and compiled languages.

Notice: This email and any attachments are confidential.
If received in error please destroy and immediately notify us.
Do not copy or disclose the contents.

Re: FW: What tools do you use for JS development?

Benjamin West
I'm using docpad:

Makes it easy to standardize a few page layouts with some static data, then transition towards dynamic server later.

-bewest