FW: Release of EPSG Geodetic Parameter Dataset v6.13 (July 16, 2007)

FW: Release of EPSG Geodetic Parameter Dataset v6.13 (July 16, 2007)

Dean Mikkelsen
Message
Hi everyone,

The EPSG has just released their latest version (6.13), which new data for various countries.

If you have any questions about their use and datums and projections, please let me know.

Kind regards,
Dean

Dean C. Mikkelsen, B.Sc., P.Eng.
Terra ETL Ltd.
Geodesy, GIS & Mapping for the Natural Resources
(formerly of Schlumberger, ConocoPhilips, Sonatrach, BP, etc.)

Re: FW: Release of EPSG Geodetic Parameter Dataset v6.13 (July 16, 2007)

Frank Warmerdam
Dean C. Mikkelsen wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> The EPSG has just released their latest version (6.13), which new data
> for various countries.

Folks,

I have already processed this new dataset for libgeotiff.  With this
release of the EPSG dataset there is an effort to cleanup licensing
issues.  The OGP/EPSG folks are requiring that modified forms of the
dataset not be called EPSG so for libgeotiff I seperated out the
"overrides" for stuff like datum shifts into distinct files so the
EPSG dataset is unaltered.

However, it isn't obvious to me how to do the same for PROJ.4 since
folks are expect to get those modification in the "epsg" init file.

I'm thinking of implementing an include mechanism so the epsg init
file can include an not-epsg-overrides init file and then include
the real-epsg file.  This should help make it clear what coordinate
systems are representative of EPSG and which are locally modified.

Thoughts on good approaches would be appreciated (as long as they
aren't that we shouldn't have init files). :-)

> If you have any questions about their use and datums and projections,
> please let me know.

I'd add that folks interested in datums and projections in general and
with PROJ should try to attend the "Datums, Coordinate Systems, Map
Projections & Datum Transformations" hands on lab at FOSS4G 2007.  It
will be presented by Dean with some support from me.

   http://www.foss4g2007.org/labs/L-03/

FOSS4G 2007 - more fun than you can shake a stick at!